Have you encounted inconsiderate cruisers, and what to do

Giantfan13

Just thinking about Labadee when we visited last year , we had just come out from a swim & drying off when a couple asked would we look after their bags while they had lunch , no problem , now it was a large backpack each & 1 bag each , they came back almost 2 hours later &'apologised they said they met a couple of friends and had a few drinks together needless to say we were unable to take another swim & missed lunch it was cleared when we made our way up

But now what do I do if that ever occurs again say NO then I will be considered rude ?

I would say sorry, we can't, we're about to go eat/swim/Make something up. Honestly if they're that worried about their bags they can take them along or take turns watching them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Just thinking about Labadee when we visited last year , we had just come out from a swim & drying off when a couple asked would we look after their bags while they had lunch , no problem , now it was a large backpack each & 1 bag each , they came back almost 2 hours later &'apologised they said they met a couple of friends and had a few drinks together needless to say we were unable to take another swim & missed lunch it was cleared when we made our way up

But now what do I do if that ever occurs again say NO then I will be considered rude ?

Not at all. Just a simple honest "no".

I would say no, people taking advantage meant you missed lunch and spoiled your day.

I would say no, people taking advantage meant you missed lunch and spoiled your day.

I'm sure that poster has learned a lesson. I once had a boss whose favorite expression was no good turn goes unpunished. So true. Now, for me having been raised by a great old school Italian mother, I would have felt compelled to lay a pretty healthy guilt trip on them.

we had just come out from a swim & drying off when a couple asked would we look after their bags while they had lunch

That's such a weird request on their part. Why couldn't they just take their own backpacks to lunch like normal humans?

One of many golden rules I have is to never do this. If for some reason I get tricked (like back in 2 minutes), I would be visibly angry and upset if they returned after 2 hours. Would be tempted even to hand the bags to an attendant and walk away.

It is never rude to decline a request or an imposition. It is often rude and selfish to make an unreasonable request to a complete stranger. Has happened to me before and I have learnt to push back.

Sadly we have. There were the "Sand Sitters" at Labadee who kept moving closer and closer to our clam shell while chain smoking even though the beach is not a designated smoking area........There was the, "Elevator Drunk" who leaned on me for 10 floors. There are always the "Stair Sitters", who manage to come late to every show and then sit on the stairs in everyone's way. There are the "Elevator Jumpers" who simply cannot wait for people to get off, before plowing in. Don't even get me started on the "Chair Hogs" LOL. I understand your frustration and I often share it but, I generally do not engage. No one is going to ruin my cruise. No matter how much of a butt they are.

Your answer is my favorite! Especially not to let these things ruin my cruise!! Karma will eventually kick some bootie! Enjoy life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't think so. I would probably say no as well due to just the situation you described.

Wow, I can't believe you stayed! I would have just left and done whatever I wanted after 30 minutes. They should have expected that themselves tbh.

For this - if someone asked me to watch their bag. No problem. If they are not back within 5 minutes or so then I call security and tell them that someone just left a bag and quickly walked off. Then go enjoy the rest of my cruise....

Living in Israel, we're "trained" to look around us all the time, and report anything suspicious ... a back pack ranks high on the list....

Yes and to drive this home for American cruisers, this is what was used at the Boston marathon. Unfortunately the items to make various explosive devices are common household items. Obviously I'm not going to google said items to see if any are prohibited on cruises, but this is not something to take lightly. To the OP, I'm not taking a jab at you. This is a learning opportunity for everyone.

Yes and to drive this home for American cruisers, this is what was used at the Boston marathon. Unfortunately the items to make various explosive devices are common household items. Obviously I'm not going to google said items to see if any are prohibited on cruises, but this is not something to take lightly. To the OP, I'm not taking a jab at you. This is a learning opportunity for everyone.

I am pretty sure a pressure cooker would be tough to bring on a cruise, but agree fully. I would never watch the bag of somebody I don't know at all. We had a group of 5 couples we met on our roll call before we went last time, and even met them for dinner the night before the cruise. We would have watched something of theirs, but not somebody I had never even met.

Prb best to avoid confrontation... miserable people ruin their own cruise experience, why let them ruin yours too, but I feel your pain. If they're in walkways blocking the view from seats in the theatre I've seen cruise staff tell people they need to find seats and ask them to move.

I disagree with the response that indicated something to the effect that you should expect that could happen when you picked your seats.

People are just rude and self centered - but many are quite happy to move and apologetic when you reach out and say (politely) "excuse me, but we're not able to see". I'm sorry you found the Walmart-shoppers of the cruise world.

-Judy