Have you encounted inconsiderate cruisers, and what to do

Giantfan13

I'm sure, all who cruise have encountered inconsiderate and just plain rude cruisers. So what does one do about it--ignore then, stand your ground etc.

My example on our last cruise. We were on the Jewel of the Sea Trans Atlantic. We went to the Quest show and were seated on the back side of the aisle in the chairs along the rail in the Safari Lounge. As people kept coming in, they stopped right in front of us but when we asked them to move, they did. EXCEPT for the 'rude couple' They just stopped right in front of us. I asked them to move, they did at first and then just stopped and planted themselves right in front of us. I went over, politely asked them to move as they were blocking our view and we had been here for a while. The lady told me to "Piss off' they paid for this cruise also. I told them they were blocking our view and it was rude. She told me to stand if I couldn't see.

So what do you do?

I went back to our seat and gathered our stuff and left. (The Quest, while great for some, really wasn't to our liking anyway) but I was mad. Should I have made a scene? When I mentioned this to some one else later, they said I should have 'accidently' spilled a drink on them when leaving. Sorry, just not my style, but it did bother me for a couple of days.

So what would you have done, or what have you encountered with rude cruisers?

Cheers

Len

Just my opinion so please don’t get mad at me. Yes, that was a very rude response but asking them to move could be rude also. When you opted to sit in those chairs, you should have realized people would be blocking your view if the lounge got crowded. If there were other places for them to stand is one thing but if not, and I suspect eventually there wasn’t, then asking them to move could be taken as rude too. If it had been me, I would not have said “piss off” but I may have said, sorry, there is nowhere else to sit or stand.

If they were standing right in front of my seats, then I would have politely asked them to move. If they still didn't move, I would have complained to an employee so that the employee could get them to move. I would not confront a hostile person. It's not worth it.

I read about people moving other people's property from pool chairs because the chairs had been left unattended. I wouldn't do that either. Pool chairs aren't worth it when there are other options. I really can't think of a situation that would be worth having a bad confrontation with a stranger. I would walk away before that happens. However, if I thought I was right, I would probably first complain to the management and let them deal with it.

I have found that this will happen to you on almost any cruise. The key is to be flexible, and by that I mean go around, get around and be not where the source of the issue is. Speaking to these people will generally result in a loss of oxygen on your part and gain you nothing. .. .In my first cruise review( in my sig) I broach the subject, but only because I learned the trick from this resource some 17+ years ago... because confronting these people will generally not result in a positive result, you are better off choosing to remove yourself from the situation.. yes, I know you were first, but they aren't going to care.. rather than butt heads, move on...

Of course there is something else to learn here for all of us.. try not to sit near and entrance to a venue to avoid the comers and goers as well as those pesky standers...

It is a shame we have to deal with/put up with rude people, but we need to take control, We need to act to remove ourselves from their presence because they are not going to... in normal life, we might all confront these rudites, but his is our vacation time... *our* time... any time you let these knuckle draggers bring you down, they win.. it is a frame of mind one must work at developing and maintaining...

When you find your self face to face with rude, turn cheek and find another space to be in.

We had this happen on our 11/11 Anthem cruise. We were in the Music Hall. People would stop, but eventually, would realize they were in front of us and move. Except for the last couple. My DH, after nicely trying to get their attention and being ignored, pulled out his cell phone, turned on the flash, and started taking pictures of their backs. They moved.

OP... what a bummer but not worth the confrontation. You can't reason with ignorant and rude people. :mad: I would have offered them our seats. If they sat down in them I would have stood directly in front of them.:cool:

I like it. ;p

Sadly we have. There were the "Sand Sitters" at Labadee who kept moving closer and closer to our clam shell while chain smoking even though the beach is not a designated smoking area........There was the, "Elevator Drunk" who leaned on me for 10 floors. There are always the "Stair Sitters", who manage to come late to every show and then sit on the stairs in everyone's way. There are the "Elevator Jumpers" who simply cannot wait for people to get off, before plowing in. Don't even get me started on the "Chair Hogs" LOL. I understand your frustration and I often share it but, I generally do not engage. No one is going to ruin my cruise. No matter how much of a butt they are.

I'm not one to get involved in conflict with others, but I don't back down easily either. I would have asked an employee to step in, and no, the Quest is not something that is generally standing room only, and if it is, then you don't stand in front of others who were already there.

Fortunately, we've been able to avoid most badly behaved cruisers.

When standing in front of seats is happening or blocking the aisles by sitting on the stairs in a theater is happening it seems to me that the CD or person hosting the game/show should make an announcement and not start the game or show until people moved.

We were at a comedy club last night therer were seats for everyone if some didn’t leave a seat between them & the the person next to them or use a seat for their jacket, purse, etc. Some rows had 2 or 3 scattered seats . The venue wouldn’t start the show until people moved over to fill the scattered vacant seats thereby by creating empty seats at the aisle.

Worked well .

I'm sure, all who cruise have encountered inconsiderate and just plain rude cruisers. So what does one do about it--ignore then, stand your ground etc.

My example on our last cruise. We were on the Jewel of the Sea Trans Atlantic. We went to the Quest show and were seated on the back side of the aisle in the chairs along the rail in the Safari Lounge. As people kept coming in, they stopped right in front of us but when we asked them to move, they did. EXCEPT for the 'rude couple' They just stopped right in front of us. I asked them to move, they did at first and then just stopped and planted themselves right in front of us. I went over, politely asked them to move as they were blocking our view and we had been here for a while. The lady told me to "Piss off' they paid for this cruise also. I told them they were blocking our view and it was rude. She told me to stand if I couldn't see.

So what do you do?

I went back to our seat and gathered our stuff and left. (The Quest, while great for some, really wasn't to our liking anyway) but I was mad. Should I have made a scene? When I mentioned this to some one else later, they said I should have 'accidently' spilled a drink on them when leaving. Sorry, just not my style, but it did bother me for a couple of days.

So what would you have done, or what have you encountered with rude cruisers?

Cheers

Len

It's unfortunate. This happens all of the time at Rod Stewart's concerts. You pay good money to sit back and enjoy him singing & dancing. However, his concerts brings fanatical fans and all concert long stand, dance and sing along. On many occasions, I've asked them nicely to please sit down-they do, and 5 minutes later they are at it again. I remember, one time he was performing at Caesar's Palace and during the concert (he's a Celtic soccer fanatic) he kicks soccer balls into the crowd and attendees go absolutely wild trying to get those balls. On a couple of occasions seen attendees get hurt going for the balls.

Ps. He's a great entertainer.

Sadly we have. There were the "Sand Sitters" at Labadee who kept moving closer and closer to our clam shell while chain smoking even though the beach is not a designated smoking area........There was the, "Elevator Drunk" who leaned on me for 10 floors. There are always the "Stair Sitters", who manage to come late to every show and then sit on the stairs in everyone's way. There are the "Elevator Jumpers" who simply cannot wait for people to get off, before plowing in. Don't even get me started on the "Chair Hogs" LOL. I understand your frustration and I often share it but, I generally do not engage. No one is going to ruin my cruise. No matter how much of a butt they are.

Do you realize you could have started 5 new threads with your summation of what happens on a cruise ship.

You are so right in what you posted----and summed it up quite nicely.

Thanks for taking the time to share your observations.........well done.

Oh I used to be an inconsiderate cruiser, but over the years I have cooled my jets.

I realized the world does not revolve around me, but the world is all of ours to share, I just had to play nice.

Thanks again.

It is not just on a cruise ship that you encounter rude or thoughtless or inconsiderate people. You will encounter them in supermarkets, queues, cinema, in the street! There was a time when I would have confronted some one but now I don’t. I work in law enforcement and know how unstable or quick to react some people are. There are some violent people out there.

Better to move on than risk it.

It's unfortunate. This happens all of the time at Rod Stewart's concerts. You pay good money to sit back and enjoy him singing & dancing. However, his concerts brings fanatical fans and all concert long stand, dance and sing along. On many occasions, I've asked them nicely to please sit down-they do, and 5 minutes later they are at it again. I remember, one time he was performing at Caesar's Palace and during the concert (he's a Celtic soccer fanatic) he kicks soccer balls into the crowd and attendees go absolutely wild trying to get those balls. On a couple of occasions seen attendees get hurt going for the balls.

Ps. He's a great entertainer.

You must not go to a lot of concerts..this happens at every concert I have ever attended (MANY) in my lifetime. ;p

The elevator shoehorns who decide they can fit onto an already full elevator are the people I feel are rude. When there is no place to move back except too close to someone else and they step onto the three inch space available, I wish an alarm would go off so they would back off and wait for an elevator with space for them.

When an elevator is full, it is full, and additional people should not try to compress everyone else just to avoid waiting for another elevator. It is especially rude if there are two, three or four people who want to squeeze on. It is such a relief if someone gets off on the next floor. I actually should get off.

I hate being trapped on an overly full elevators, but I never say anything to the shoehorn who happily squeezes on. :rolleyes:

It is not just on a cruise ship that you encounter rude or thoughtless or inconsiderate people. You will encounter them in supermarkets, queues, cinema, in the street! There was a time when I would have confronted some one but now I don’t. I work in law enforcement and know how unstable or quick to react some people are. There are some violent people out there.

Better to move on than risk it.

If you work in law enforcement you will have lots of experience with unsavoury types and your opinion is interesting and one we should all take on board.

The elevator shoehorns who decide they can fit onto an already full elevator are the people I feel are rude. When there is no place to move back except too close to someone else and they step onto the three inch space available, I wish an alarm would go off so they would back off and wait for an elevator with space for them.

When an elevator is full, it is full, and additional people should not try to compress everyone else just to avoid waiting for another elevator. It is especially rude if there are two, three or four people who want to squeeze on. It is such a relief if someone gets off on the next floor. I actually should get off.

I hate being trapped on an overly full elevators, but I never say anything to the shoehorn who happily squeezes on. :rolleyes:

I agree with you but sometimes the opposite happens when there is lots of room in the lift and some people refuse to move further in to let anyone else into the lift.

Glad most agree that moving on was the best thing to do.

As for calling for help, do you really think an RCI employee would confront a passenger telling them to move? The Quest game was already in play, no one could have helped. Glad my DW has more sense than I and insisted we just move on.

As my signature says, 'there are no bad cruises, just bad cruisers'.

Cheers

Len

Glad most agree that moving on was the best thing to do.

As for calling for help, do you really think an RCI employee would confront a passenger telling them to move? The Quest game was already in play, no one could have helped. Glad my DW has more sense than I and insisted we just move on.

As my signature says, 'there are no bad cruises, just bad cruisers'.

Cheers

Len

I agree that the other cruiser could have said things a little nicer. But as someone else mentioned, you demanding that they move could have been considered rude as well.

If there was no where else for them to watch then really you have no right to tell them to move.

They could have said things nicer and you could have stood up. Things go both ways.

And to the poster who complains about people standing at a concert, please tell me your kidding right? Pretty much everybody stands at concerts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums