FMI, What happens to people who don't attend the life boat drill?

Giantfan13

When we report for the life boat drill, they take your room number they make sure everyone has attended. But say you don't attend, what are the consequences, or are there any?

We know it is 'mandatory' but can they ask you to leave at the first port? Throw you in the brig? What are the consequences for never attending the drill?

Cheers

Len

First of all you've incurred the wrath of your fellow passengers who have to wait as the crew tries to account for the missing passengers. Next a crew person will enter your cabin to look for you...hiding in the bathroom? If somehow you manage to escape the search when you are located you will have to go to your own muster drill. Not sure it's worth it. Remember everything closes so where are you going to hide? They do search all cabins.

One time on the Allure, they had it on the boardwalk. It was a mess because it was raining and everyone was standing and trying to get under the cover. You couldn't hear or see anything. We did manage to get our cabin checked off. Later we mentioned to the cabin steward that we couldn’t hear or see anything. He brought us a paper to read and told us that it was also on TV. I guess that is what they do to people that don’t attend.

A few years ago, we were late for a cruise from San Juan. I don't recall the circumstances.

In our cabin, we found a notice that we were to attend a life boat drill the following day in the lounge. We were surprised to see many other passengers there in the lounge for the make-up drill.

One time on the Allure, they had it on the boardwalk. It was a mess because it was raining and everyone was standing and trying to get under the cover. You couldn't hear or see anything. We did manage to get our cabin checked off. Later we mentioned to the cabin steward that we couldn’t hear or see anything. He brought us a paper to read and told us that it was also on TV. I guess that is what they do to people that don’t attend.

Actually, people who don't attend have reported having to attend a make up session the next morning to make up for it. They do not just hand you a sheet of paper.

And, yes, they do check cabins. In fact, they put a red piece of paper in the key slot as they check each cabin. There's really no place to hide. And, why bother? it's 20-30 minutes out of your life. You can't buy a drink or eat or anything while it's going on, so just friggin go.

I was on a carnival cruise in 2014. Instead of having the lifeboat drill at the normal time, they held off because the Superbowl was playing on the big screen and all over the ship. They finally did the drill at 11 pm!! I was in bed after a very long travel day from Ontario...I stayed put and ignored it. I could only imagine parents having to wake little ones! No consequence and no make up.

Actually, people who don't attend have reported having to attend a make up session the next morning to make up for it. They do not just hand you a sheet of paper.

And, yes, they do check cabins. In fact, they put a red piece of paper in the key slot as they check each cabin. There's really no place to hide. And, why bother? it's 20-30 minutes out of your life. You can't buy a drink or eat or anything while it's going on, so just friggin go.

I’ve seen those red papers in the door. We always attend. I didn’t mean that we didn’t go just that it was not good. Just frustrated that we had to stand in the rain and couldn’t see or hear anything. Our friends had theirs in the dining room and got to sit down and watch a video. Forgot to mention that we were standing next to Voltare (if you’ve been on Allure, you know what I mean) and it kept talking during the drill. That added to the not being able to hear.

I’ve seen those red papers in the door. We always attend. I didn’t mean that we didn’t go just that it was not good. Just frustrated that we had to stand in the rain and couldn’t see or hear anything. Our friends had theirs in the dining room and got to sit down and watch a video. Forgot to mention that we were standing next to Voltare (if you’ve been on Allure, you know what I mean) and it kept talking during the drill. That added to the not being able to hear.

On Allure we were in the Champagne Bar. Our last cruise on Oasis we were in the Guest Services desk area in the promenade. Before we went to our muster station on the second half of our b2b on Oasis, we saw people gathering at the aft aqua theater pool area which is in the open so weather can impact it. Other than one time when we were in the dining room (can't remember which ship) we've been outside on deck for the rest. People always talk during them. Just like they talk during the Captain's noon report and then are surprised when it rains or waves are high or something.

They have definitely made it less painless in the last 15 years. Can’t speak to the exact consequences now. But as others have said just go. And show up right on time instead of early if it seems like a hassle. Get a good buzz before if you want and just do it as a spacer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A few years ago, we were late for a cruise from San Juan. I don't recall the circumstances.

In our cabin, we found a notice that we were to attend a life boat drill the following day in the lounge. We were surprised to see many other passengers there in the lounge for the make-up drill.

When we report for the life boat drill, they take your room number they make sure everyone has attended. But say you don't attend, what are the consequences, or are there any?

We know it is 'mandatory' but can they ask you to leave at the first port? Throw you in the brig? What are the consequences for never attending the drill?

Cheers

Len

They can force you to watch a JETS game.:)

Lenny

I was on a carnival cruise in 2014. Instead of having the lifeboat drill at the normal time, they held off because the Superbowl was playing on the big screen and all over the ship. They finally did the drill at 11 pm!! I was in bed after a very long travel day from Ontario...I stayed put and ignored it. I could only imagine parents having to wake little ones! No consequence and no make up.

I’ve heard shop staff who work on different lines talk about how lax Carnival is for muster drills and training for crew ... and I think it has bitten them a bit in the previous years.

They have definitely made it less painless in the last 15 years. Can’t speak to the exact consequences now. But as others have said just go. And show up right on time instead of early if it seems like a hassle. Get a good buzz before if you want and just do it as a spacer.

Yep, perfect!:cool:

I missed normal muster once (a sequence of unlucky delays, snowballed). They knew in advance I wasn't on board, so hopefully didn't delay others waiting for me. As I checked in I was handed a slip telling me to attend a later "remedial" drill. I assumed at the time the others there were also latecomers, but perhaps they had tried to skip the normal muster?

All the passengers who had to stand and wait while they tried to track your selfish butts down beat the snot out of you.

Sometimes I scan this forum and see simple questions that can be answered easily still get 20 or more replies. I guess this explains it. But that's ok, I'm still on a high from this forum saving me $600+ yesterday.

One of my first cruises (I think it was back when you had to wear the life vests for your MUSTARD... hehehe... drill because I seem to remember doing this in the vest) there was someone that didn't show.

It was pouring rain, a bit chilly for Florida standards, and our muster station was outside. We stood there while they called the person over and over and over. It was a bit miserable, especially for my wife who gets cold easy. We were getting wet and the wind was blowing it directly in your face. Eventually most of us just turned around and faced the wall instead of getting pelted in the face. They finally dismissed us.

I think those people should have to wear a dunce cap the rest of the cruise.