Holding a Monkey

RMH

My daughter is set on holding a monkey and having her picture taken with it. I know this is available at the port in St Kitts, but there is a charge associated with it. Does anyone know if it is a set fee, or if it is just a tip of however much you think it is worth?

I would not do it. Where do you think the "cute" little monkeys come from? Ask the handler what happened to it's mother? They may tell you that it is an orphan but how does that happen when they have no predators on the island? They generally avoid contact with people. My rant is done!

Others probably have other experiences but this is what we've seen of the Monkey game. Guy comes by with adorable cute baby monkey. Slows down and chats a bit. You get curious about the monkey. Monkey hops on your shoulder. Your travel partner snaps a quick picture. Now the monkey guy demands $5 - $10 per picture. Implies things will go badly if you don't pay. You gave him your phone/camera to take the picture? You're not getting that back until Monkey guy is happy.

I'd be good with all this if Monkey guy was upfront about the charge instead of waiting until the pictures are taken and all.

Just what I've seen. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this was not your question but I would also not do it.

I did it once and all was fine.

However on a cruise two years ago someone did it and got bitten very badly and had to leave the ship.

I know the chances are low of this happening but in the future we will not do this nor hold any animal that could bite.

Keith

My daughter is set on holding a monkey and having her picture taken with it. I know this is available at the port in St Kitts, but there is a charge associated with it. Does anyone know if it is a set fee, or if it is just a tip of however much you think it is worth?

What's wrong with this "picture?"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure I understand. I don't see anything wrong with it. Play on words, maybe ?? :confused:

Let's see:

>Unpredictable kid with an unpredictable monkey.

>Monkey with/without(?) various veterinary inoculations.

>Scamming monkey "owner" holding your camera while demanding "payment."

>Animal rights issues (not unlike the "cute" dolphins)

>The list goes on....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were in St. Kitts in October, my 9 yr. old got her pic taken with 3 monkeys all at once.

She loved it. Everybody was getting pics with the monkeys. No issues, no bites, all was good. We paid $5.

If you want to do it, go for it.

Edited by Racer70

Let's see:

>Unpredictable kid with an unpredictable monkey.

>Monkey with/without(?) various veterinary inoculations.

>Scamming monkey "owner" holding your camera while demanding "payment."

>Animal rights issues (not unlike the "cute" dolphins)

>The list goes on....

My kid is 24, so I am not too worried about her predictability. I can't speak for the monkey, however. In fact, I did not consider the unpredictability of the cab driver, wobbly beach chairs, or a collapsing umbrella. Not to mention the sand fleas, sharp rocks, sea urchins, or rogue waves. And then there is the wind, and the rain, and the sun - oh my. We were going to go shopping is Basseterre too, but, now I am not sure I can face the horror and unpredictability of the vendors and the gauntlet we will have to walk to and from the ship. Now that I think about it, we may just be better off staying in our room all day and ordering room service.

And who is to say the monkey is not better off doing what it is doing? Certainly not you or me.

If you had read the original question, you would have seen that it was not 'should she hold a monkey' - that has already been decided, but 'how much does it cost'.

While I do value the input and opinions of all those that responded, a special thanks to KurtMo and Racer70 who actually answered the question.

Edited by RMH

• 2 weeks later...
My kid is 24, so I am not too worried about her predictability. I can't speak for the monkey, however. In fact, I did not consider the unpredictability of the cab driver, wobbly beach chairs, or a collapsing umbrella. Not to mention the sand fleas, sharp rocks, sea urchins, or rogue waves. And then there is the wind, and the rain, and the sun - oh my. We were going to go shopping is Basseterre too, but, now I am not sure I can face the horror and unpredictability of the vendors and the gauntlet we will have to walk to and from the ship. Now that I think about it, we may just be better off staying in our room all day and ordering room service.

And who is to say the monkey is not better off doing what it is doing? Certainly not you or me.

If you had read the original question, you would have seen that it was not 'should she hold a monkey' - that has already been decided, but 'how much does it cost'.

While I do value the input and opinions of all those that responded, a special thanks to KurtMo and Racer70 who actually answered the question.

When we went, there were vendors in the area right outside the port. You could hold the monkey's for $5. Then you will also find them on the beaches as well. We went to Carambola and there was a guy there with one and we actually hung out with him all day and played with the monkey. My oldest daughter (who is 29 now) loved the monkey so much that she wanted to buy one. Long story short, the guy said he could put her in touch with someone that sells and ships them to the US (I told her not a good idea), but that didn't work out...and she ended up buying one here in the states. She is amazing and I call her my grandmonkey. She's a sweetheart and so lovable and doesn't even need to be on a leash. She will follow you everywhere. Sorry, a little off subject. My youngest daughter (who is now 9) was also bitten by one at age 3, when we were in Roatan and holding one at Victor Boddens excursion. It happens. It could happen to anyone. No one can predict what nature will do. Heck, no one can predict how humans react either...lol ;p

Have a great time!

• 3 weeks later...

If you wait til the afternoon as you are heading back to the ship, the price will be lower than when you first get off the ship in the morning. We paid $5 for pictures with 3 monkeys. It was right in port and we didn't feel scammed.

Like others have said, negotiate the price first. That guys seems okay, but try and not pay; it'll be like those kooks in NYC in superhero costumes.

Monkeys bite. They are usually intensely curious and have very fast hands. Long hair, eyeglasses, necklaces, earrings are all potential targets. Did I mention, they bite?

• 4 weeks later...
I would not do it. Where do you think the "cute" little monkeys come from? Ask the handler what happened to it's mother? They may tell you that it is an orphan but how does that happen when they have no predators on the island? They generally avoid contact with people. My rant is done!

Poor things.....thanks for "Food for Thought"!

While waiting for our tour pick-up, I watched a vendor place a monkey on a female tourist's shoulder. Her husband stood next to her while the vendor took the picture. Suddenly, for no discernible reason, the monkey scratched the woman's face. She and her husband were walking quickly back to the ship when we departed. I vote for the idea of standing next to the vendor while he holds the monkey and someone in your party takes the photo.

When I went a few years ago we found a little bar very near the ship that had a monkey. I sat there drinking 2 for 1 Caribs for less than $5 while playing with the monkey for the entirety of my time in St. Kitts. He especially enjoyed playing inside my maxi skirt (luckily I was wearing a bathing suit underneath). He was not forced to go near me, he chose to on his own accord, which made the experience even better and safer. I wouldn't have paid a dime to take a picture with one, but for the cost of several very cheap beers I got a quite a few photos and videos with the little guy. The monkey was being fed fresh veggies and appeared well taken care of, though I do always worry about animals like that. It was 2014, so the same experience may no longer be available, but there are free opportunities around. Many people who were just walking by stopped to greet him or take pictures with him without purchasing anything.