Entertainment changes again

LOP

I’m sure Azamara will try and minimise the effects on Journey and Quest so 20-30% seems reasonable.

Being part of RCCI there is a big pool of experienced staff that may want to move to Azamara. After all most of the crew who have been with Azamara since the early days came from Celebrity due to the origins of Azamara.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but I have no reason to believe Captain Carl would tell lies either publicly or in a private conversation.

Your insinuation is unworthy of a moderator.

I’m sure he wasn’t telling lies, he was misunderstood. 10% of Officers or 10% of Staff even makes some sense, 10% of total crew does not. A new ship isn’t going to sale with 80% inexperienced crew.

Never in a month of Sundays would a cruise line usually risk an opening with such a high % of total company who were new to the line even if they had had two or three months of training. Well usually.....surely this is not an area Azamara is going to try something different. If they are it sounds like the company that takes over the other and overlooks the fact they have two cultures to integrate.

I still believe the higher figures I was given last month and not any recently fed marketing positions. Given the number of hotel staff I met on one ship only who are going over to pursuits we were almost at the 10% already

This is nothing to do with me being a moderator. I was there and heard him. Captain Carl definitely said 10% ,15% at the very most, to go from each ship to the Pursuit, making a maximum of 30% in total.

I too talked to a number of Hotel crew about the Pursuit. Most said they were thinking about the Pursuit, but were unsure about it.

When Azamara started up, they were all new staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is nothing to do with me being a moderator. I was there and heard him. Captain Carl definitely said 10% ,15% at the very most, to go from each ship to the Pursuit, making a maximum of 30% in total.

I too talked to a number of Hotel crew about the Pursuit. Most said they were thinking about the Pursuit, but were unsure about it.

It is very different creating a culture from start up from integrating to an existing culture. Also the first six-eight months of Azamara was not glorious at all

If it has been changed to 70% new starts in the hotel department on Pursuit I am much less comfortable about having bookings in the first six month than I was. The staff on Journey I spoke with certainly knew who was going and who was not and some were taking early leave to achieve this. There were others who had said they would like to go as well, I count them as a different group.

If they can have a seamless culture across three ships with just 30% from the original company in two months they are miracle workers wasted on cruise ships and should be hiring themselves out to corporate consultancies immediately

Of course everyone could be right, there’s obviously going to be a mix of hotel and deck staff. Possibly there will be a higher percentage of customer facing hotel staff and a lower percentage of deck staff who customers do not interact with and new staff can be employed for their expertise alone.

So you could have 20-30% hotel staff but still only 10-15% overall crew.

Of course everyone could be right, there’s obviously going to be a mix of hotel and deck staff. Possibly there will be a higher percentage of customer facing hotel staff and a lower percentage of deck staff who customers do not interact with and new staff can be employed for their expertise alone.

So you could have 20-30% hotel staff but still only 10-15% overall crew.

Yes time will tell, but as the ratio onboard is that there is a much higher proportion of hotel staff and for arguments sake there is 500 crew onboard 10-15% is only 50-75 folks in total. I think that is way to small for the opening, maybe it could be the aspirational figure after a year. Given the number I can already personally name that is going over I am very close to half the number and that is only from Journey hotel staff.

Yes time will tell, but as the ratio onboard is that there is a much higher proportion of hotel staff and for arguments sake there is 500 crew onboard 10-15% is only 50-75 folks in total. I think that is way to small for the opening, maybe it could be the aspirational figure after a year. Given the number I can already personally name that is going over I am very close to half the number and that is only from Journey hotel staff.

Berlitz quote total crew as 407 but there’s only a proportion of these that are important to customers. If you discount the senior officers it’s really down to restaurant, bar and entertainment staff, and we don’t as yet know exactly what is happening across the fleet with entertainment staff anyway.

If good quality cabin stewards, galley staff and deck crew are recruited and trained to Azamara’s ways we probably wouldn’t notice.

This is very distressing news!

We were looking forward to the pianist and guitarist on upcoming cruise!

I hope it isn't True!

Time to move to Oceania. String quartet still there along with live band; and performers from the same agency as used by NCL. And, there's also the far better Oceania food and included airfare/air credit as well as free internet and O Life perk of booze, excursions or OBC.

Of course, the Azamara officers will probably smile at the passengers more often than on Oceania.

Time to move to Oceania. String quartet still there along with live band; and performers from the same agency as used by NCL. And, there's also the far better Oceania food and included airfare/air credit as well as free internet and O Life perk of booze, excursions or OBC.

Of course, the Azamara officers will probably smile at the passengers more often than on Oceania.

I am quite sure that no-one books an Azamara cruise so that they can be "smiled at" by the officers.

When Azamara started up ( before your experience of them) many of the staff moved over from Celebrity, in fact it was originally a part of Celebrity.

We were on Celebrity Summit when the Hotel Director Phillip was moved over mid cruise.

Our first cruise was booked on Celebrity Journey but when we sailed it had become Azamara.

Edited by Bloodaxe

I am quite sure that no-one books an Azamara cruise so that they can be "smiled at" by the officers.

I only mention it because many Azamara regulars appear to make a big deal out of "friendly officers" while Oceania regulars seem to care less about interacting with the officers.

I only mention it because many Azamara regulars appear to make a big deal out of "friendly officers" while Oceania regulars seem to care less about interacting with the officers.

Have tried Regent, Oceania's bigger and better brother, for 49 nights and it was a ho-hum experience. Reviews of Oceania by Azamara regulars seem largely to prefer Azamara, including over Oceania's much-overhyped food. And I remember 1951, Flatbush..:evilsmile:

You like Oceania? You cruise it. Enjoy the perpetual two-for-one bogus pricing deal. No interest on my part.

Have tried Regent, Oceania's bigger and better brother, for 49 nights and it was a ho-hum experience. Reviews of Oceania by Azamara regulars seem largely to prefer Azamara, including over Oceania's much-overhyped food. And I remember 1951, Flatbush..:evilsmile:

You like Oceania? You cruise it. Enjoy the perpetual two-for-one bogus pricing deal. No interest on my part.

Not sure why Flatbush is trolling on behalf of Oceania but I met several Oceania-past passengers on the holiday Journey cruise and they, as first timers on Azamara, said they thought that cruise was better than their experiences on O, and that the food was better on the Journey as well.

Not sure why Flatbush is trolling on behalf of Oceania but I met several Oceania-past passengers on the holiday Journey cruise and they, as first timers on Azamara, said they thought that cruise was better than their experiences on O, and that the food was better on the Journey as well.

Hardly trolling. If you look at many of my posts, I often speak well of both Azamara and Oceania for folks tired of disappointing experiences on mass market lines who want value for their hard earned dollars.

As for the food comparison, I turn to Azamara's own CEO. He spoke at an Azamara promotion event here in SF about a year ago and, when asked to compare/contrast Oceania and Azamara, he openly admitted that "Oceania is about food while Azamara is about experiences during overnights in port."

He's not alone: Condé Nast, Food and Wine, et al., all give Oceania the edge in comparing cruise food industry wide.

I am on the Journey and we were told we are currently getting a flavor of what the future entertainment will be. We have had entertainers popping in and out in various ports. I know they have in the past, but it is a bit more frequent and more local talent vs. having entertainers fly half way around the world and then catch up with another ship. We did not seem to have as many production shows. I have seen them all multiple times so i see it as a good thing. I think it will all work out in the end. And as we have all seen in the past, when something implemented is not working, they have listened to us (and passenger feedback) and made adjustments. Not all of the time (harpist) ...but they do. I am not an Azamara cheerleader. I have been vocal about issues and even left Azamara for 2 years. I tried Oceania and wanted to love them, but could not for many reasons and not one of those reasons was smiling officers. I am a destination driven and port intensive cruiser....an adventure and stories to tell when i get home iare what I am looking for. But, a “welcome home” and a smile after a long day in port would be icing on the cake.

I am on the Journey and we were told we are currently getting a flavor of what the future entertainment will be. We have had entertainers popping in and out in various ports. I know they have in the past, but it is a bit more frequent and more local talent vs. having entertainers fly half way around the world and then catch up with another ship. We did not seem to have as many production shows. I have seen them all multiple times so i see it as a good thing. I think it will all work out in the end. And as we have all seen in the past, when something implemented is not working, they have listened to us (and passenger feedback) and made adjustments. Not all of the time (harpist) ...but they do. I am not an Azamara cheerleader. I have been vocal about issues and even left Azamara for 2 years. I tried Oceania and wanted to love them, but could not for many reasons and not one of those reasons was smiling officers. I am a destination driven and port intensive cruiser....an adventure and stories to tell when i get home iare what I am looking for. But, a “welcome home” and a smile after a long day in port would be icing on the cake.

Thanks for the update.

Are the local entertainers also looking after activities or are the activity staff still onboard?

I am more interested in the music in Spirits Bar at night. I know Ed has left and Max will be going at the end of March. Apparently the plan is for music video's to replace them. ☹️

Has anyone currently onboard further news on that please?

When Azamara started up ( before your experience of them) many of the staff moved over from Celebrity, in fact it was originally a part of Celebrity.

We were on Celebrity Summit when the Hotel Director Phillip was moved over mid cruise.

Our first cruise was booked on Celebrity Journey but when we sailed it had become Azamara.

I remember having Philip as HD on Celebrity Century too. And of course Heike was on Celebrity. I have spoken to quite a few crew over the time and there was a fair few who say I used to work on Celebrity.

Phil

Hardly trolling. If you look at many of my posts, I often speak well of both Azamara and Oceania for folks tired of disappointing experiences on mass market lines who want value for their hard earned dollars.

It's ok. I had a read of your posting history. Tells me the story very clearly.

Phil

Local shows would certainly go along with Azamara’s ethos of destination immersion and overnights in port. Having recently returned from Crystal Symphony in South Africa the local shows, it would be wrong to call them folkloric, were much better that Crystal’s overhyped shows.

Those that have been on Azamara in Italy and have seen local tenor David Righeschi will know how fantastic these shows can be.

I agree, I would be happy to see the end of Azamazing evenings. I hate having to eat early, in a crowded rushed buffet environment. The hassle of getting 600 people to and from a venue for what amounts to 45 - 60 mins worth of entertainment out weighs any enjoyment. Somewhere in the cost of my cruise fare I have paid for the Azamazing evening so I go, but it is something I could really do without. It is certainly not a selling point for me.

Totally agree with you!!

The activities staff are still onboard looking after activities and they are also on the ship excursions.

Tonight we had an Australian comedian/magician onboard. He was excellent. The entertainers that have been coming on and off are strictly entertainers.....no activities.