LIVE! Muster Torture on Navigator!

Crism

To me a drill like this should be as realistic as possible and I will not gather at my Assembly station 15 min. early. I will leave my cabin to make my way to the Assembly station when they sound the alarm. That to me is the signal to make my way down and that´s what they tell you onboard. If they want me down there for the alarm they certainly need to change their instructions. I´ve never been the last one to arrive and usually plenty of people arrive after me, but I´m most likely among the last 1/4 to arrive.

You sound just like my husband!:D He feels you should go when the alarm begins and, while I agree with him, the crew gets really pushy about getting you there, which makes me feel as though I am making their job more difficult. We get a lot of glares from people when we arrive as we are usually in the last 1/4 .

If you go when the crew starts telling you to, you are going to be there 30 min or so before it even begins and that’s a long time to stand in the hot sun. :o

The worse drill I’ve ever been to was on Oasis last year. We mustered inside one of the bars, there was no place to sit, it was packed, hot, and I could not see the video we were supposed to be watching. There was some entertainment; however, as we got to watch a very drunk man argue with staff. Security was called & took him away. Never saw him or his wife again.;)

Sherri:)

You bring up an interesting point though. What is considered being late? What do you consider the assigned time? Are you saying that if the Drill is scheduled for let´s say 4pm, everybody should be at their assigned Assembly station by 4pm latest?

To me a drill like this should be as realistic as possible and I will not gather at my Assembly station 15 min. early. I will leave my cabin to make my way to the Assembly station when they sound the alarm. That to me is the signal to make my way down and that´s what they tell you onboard. If they want me down there for the alarm they certainly need to change their instructions. I´ve never been the last one to arrive and usually plenty of people arrive after me, but I´m most likely among the last 1/4 to arrive.

Yeah that’s what we did the first few musters (Not the 2003 one; we weren’t overthinking it then). Then i decided that getting there so seemingly late wasn’t worth it. We all know it’s a drill and getting there before or after the alarms doesn’t change the fact that we got there. I still believe in it, but I’ve adapted to so it the other way.

Currently 85 degrees and humid in Miami. We've been standing outside in the hot sun with 1000 other people less than a foot apart for the last 35 minutes. The lady next to me on my left felt like she was going to pass out. A girl on the right has a nosebleed. I'm pouring sweat, as is everyone else.

Why hasn't this been moved inside like on other ships?

What other ships have all muster drills inside? Sounds like you’ve been lucky with your muster stations until now. But all my royal musters, apart from our first on radiance for Alaska in 2003, have been outside. And I think only 1 of 4 on Disney Dream has been inside for us.

You sound just like my husband!:D He feels you should go when the alarm begins and, while I agree with him, the crew gets really pushy about getting you there, which makes me feel as though I am making their job more difficult. We get a lot of glares from people when we arrive as we are usually in the last 1/4 .

If you go when the crew starts telling you to, you are going to be there 30 min or so before it even begins and that’s a long time to stand in the hot sun. :o

Sherri:)

That´sthe point I think. People get there early, thus will be there longer than necessary and then stare at those -IMO- on time arrivals as if they were late.

I hate to be late anywhere, but honestly I don´t feel being late when moving reasonably quickly towards my assembly station once the signal is given.

And then there was the cruise where we had an emergency during the night.

We had not had a muster drill on embarkation day because of a noro outbreak and deep cleaning of the ship delayed the start of embarkation to 8:30PM. Muster drill was changed to the following day.

The night of embarkation, the emergency signal sounded at 3 AM. It was a fire and serious enough that all crew needed to report to their stations. Passengers were instructed to dress and wait in their cabins. We were informed that if we needed to report to the life boats that the cabin stewards would come to each cabin to have us line up in the gangway, They would lead us to the life boat when necessary.

Luckily, it did not come to that. It sure made for an interesting start to the cruise.

LOL - I have a cruise in January on the same ship and it is the same itinerary. Hopefully, the first day and night will be smoother.

This Summer we went on a last minute Cruise Maritime ( Magellan ) cruise to the fiords...big mistake so probably served us right...

The muster there was like something out of a ' carry on ' film. When the alarms went we all had to return to our cabins, get our life jackets, walk up three flights of stairs, no lifts working of course ( as would be correct of course ) but no help evident for those with poor mobility, sticks etc. Met in a restaurant, put on the life jackets, put our hands on the shoulder of the person in front and walk like that up three more flights of stairs ( during which time the ships photographer kept dancing about the line as we went taking photos of us and telling us to smile..) a further outside flight of stairs. Waited for a pep talk which included that if we had to jump we must go down to not more than three decks high and most importantly...keep our legs together as we jumped.!!!! No mention of lifeboats.

We do recognise the importance of the muster and always adhere to it but let's face it..if the alarms go who would go back down to their cabin and as we were told...Get warm clothes on, find their medication and passports and then go back up to the muster point...the ship could have sunk in that time..

Thank goodness we are back on RC for our next two cruises

Currently 85 degrees and humid in Miami. We've been standing outside in the hot sun with 1000 other people less than a foot apart for the last 35 minutes. The lady next to me on my left felt like she was going to pass out. A girl on the right has a nosebleed. I'm pouring sweat, as is everyone else.

Why hasn't this been moved inside like on other ships?

You should be paying attention instead of texting during the muster.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

the ship could have sunk in that time..

Thank goodness we are back on RC for our next two cruises

Not really. Even looking at the most recent incident of a cruise ship sinking, the Concordia took over a couple of hours to sink, with a hole big enough to drive a car through.

chengkp75...my final comment was meant to be light hearted, although we all appreciate the muster is important...

I took it with the intent it was meant....all of us know the importance of muster drills, but some are more difficult than others to endure and usually it is the fault of late arriving cruisers. I don't mean cruisers who are late getting to the ship due to circumstances beyond their control....I mean cruisers who dilly-dally to the muster drill. I take the muster drill with a grain of salt.

At least if there is a real emergency, you'll know where your lifeboat is. I think all muster's should be outside. Do you think in a real emergency, everyone would CALMLY go to the dining room?

I think not.

Helaine

I don't think anyone will CALMLY be doing anything anywhere! Just remember the Costa Concordia.

Jokes/sarcasm aside, we're having an absolute blast! Navigator is a beautiful, Labadee is fabulous as always, and since we made it out of Miami before the cold front, weather has been fantastic with temps in the 80s. We're super excited for the ABCs! Also, Cuddy is great. No drink cards yet, but I haven't been looking.

Edited by Crism

I took it with the intent it was meant....all of us know the importance of muster drills, but some are more difficult than others to endure and usually it is the fault of late arriving cruisers. I don't mean cruisers who are late getting to the ship due to circumstances beyond their control....I mean cruisers who dilly-dally to the muster drill. I take the muster drill with a grain of salt.

Know what you mean. As I said earlier on the Serenade BOS/FLL Repo I do every yr, everyone came down and lined up BEFORE the alarm even sounded. Cruise is an older get there and get it done crowd.. Now on Serenade and Lifeboat station was in Giovanni's. While crew were going threw showing how do life jackets and Captain speaking at least 4 woman were asked to get off of their tablets. At least when we are at outside station this is less likely to happen...

With that many people jammed in like sardines for over an hour, it is no wonder illness spread through the ship like wildfire. All it takes a a couple of people who board sick to ruin the cruises for lots of other people.