Falmouth Jamaica-Dunns River Falls

Schatzie45

On LOS departing Sunday, going to Falmouth Jamaica. Hubby and I are considering doing Dunns River Falls excursion. Has anyone been to Dunns and not climbed up the Falls? Don't think I could make it, but would love to still see it. I am told there is an observation and or pool that we can hang out while others make the climb? Can anyone confirm? Thanks

If you don't climb can you swim at all?

Not sure what you mean. For most of the falls, it's fairly shallow. A few areas are deeper, but I don't recall anyone just lounging around swimming in the falls. There is a constant stream of many climbers and their guides going up.

if I was not going to climb

nor had someone I wanted to WATCH climb

I'd skip it ......

been MANY times since the 80's ......

there ARE intermediate pools along the way and you can take some steps down to the pools from the walkway along the 'climb' and enjoy the cool water .....

we're enjoying a pool about mid way in the climb ... behind us you see the typical cruise ship tour conga line ....

enhance

On LOS departing Sunday, going to Falmouth Jamaica. Hubby and I are considering doing Dunns River Falls excursion. Has anyone been to Dunns and not climbed up the Falls? Don't think I could make it, but would love to still see it. I am told there is an observation and or pool that we can hang out while others make the climb? Can anyone confirm? Thanks

Yes, only one of our party of 3 wanted to do the climb. The falls cascade down and eventually flow down onto the beach, so for some of the time we just stood at the bottom and people watched, which was entertaining. There is a pier where boats pull in, when we got tired we went and stood up there. It takes a LONG time for them to complete the climb. Speaking of taking an excursion, we did that, being new to cruising at the time, and paid $68 each for a "leisurely cruise over to the falls, rum punch and party on the way back". (This was from Ocho Rios though, not Falmouth) Hah. Ask me if I will ever do that again.....! I would check out private tours, for better value for money.

if I was not going to climb

nor had someone I wanted to WATCH climb

I'd skip it ......

been MANY times since the 80's ......

there ARE intermediate pools along the way and you can take some steps down to the pools from the walkway along the 'climb' and enjoy the cool water .....

we're enjoying a pool about mid way in the climb ... behind us you see the typical cruise ship tour conga line ....

enhance

This is what I was talking about. I can't climb but I can take the stairs and wondered if I can hang out in the pools a little.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Not sure why everyone is so enthralled with these tourist falls....They can be dangerous, if you're not sure of foot....and there are beaches if you want to hang out in the water. It's really an "over-hyped" attraction.

Maybe when they went to their local libraries and checked out tour books for Jamaica the falls was listed as a must see?

Just a guess but good as any other reason.:)

Bill

The best part is when you get to the top and you want to go to the parking lot they make you walk the gauntlet through all of the artisan arts and crafts shops and hair braiders and the people working their high pressure sales tactics. Don't skip the excursion because of this, you do have to go there and climb the falls once in your life, but be prepared.

We went to Dunn River Falls the first time we stopped in Falmouth. The trip to the falls was a little more than an hour. Traffic in Jamaica can be slow at times.

We tried to organize a private tour from our ship. I had a well respected vendor lined up. But, I could not get others form the roll call to join. So we took a ship tour.

It was a little more money than the private tour. But, it was good. I would do that again if we went again.

We climbed the falls, but several walked the path. You can swim/wade at the bottom on the beach or in the pools. I do not remember if you have access from the walking path at the various pools of walk. I remember it being more of an observation. area. I was decking with a railing.

I live in FL and can go to the beach anytime; waterfalls not so much. I know Jamaica has several falls but they're not close to the port and I don't see a lot of tours to any but this and Blue Hole.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We did the Blue Hole from Falmouth. It was also quite a drive from the port. If you go, wear water shoes or old sneakers. You actually climb along and through the falls up to points where you then jump into the "blue hole". You also swing on a rope to another pool of water. Our tour also included river tubing which was okay. You don't have to be a swimmer as they make you wear a very buoyant life vest.

Not sure why everyone is so enthralled with these tourist falls....They can be dangerous, if you're not sure of foot....and there are beaches if you want to hang out in the water. It's really an "over-hyped" attraction.

Been years since we did this, but I agree with you about it being dangerous. A woman in our party slipped and tore ligaments in her feet. She was in a wheelchair for the rest of the cruise. Personally, I hated the "conga line" the guides made us use. I kept dropping my hands to help me climb and got yelled at several times. However, if one person falls, several of you will fall, too. Did it once and would never do it again.

Personally, I hated the "conga line" the guides made us use. I kept dropping my hands to help me climb and got yelled at several times. However, if one person falls, several of you will fall, too. Did it once and would never do it again.

To me it seems easier to climb if my hands are free and I can reach out to steady myself when necessary. I got the feeling the guide wanted everyone to hold hands so he could keep his group together and collect tips at the end.

I went there with my granddaughter when she was 4 years old, I think. The parking lot is at the top of the falls. We walked down the steps along the side of the falls & she played at the beach which she enjoyed. Then she was too tired to walk back up, so I had to carry her up the stairs again. The worst part was having to go through the maze of vendors at the top on the way to the bus. I didn't buy anything, just kept looking ahead and walking. Some of them yelled insults at my for not buying anything. One woman put a wooden turtle into my granddaughter's swim cover-up pocket & said, "This is a gift for her. Just give me a donation." I gave it back to her. I can say I've been there now, but I have no plans on going back.