Should booking agent be giving On Board Credit?

ilymom!

Relatively inexperienced cruiser here. Using a friend to book our cruise. After reading many posts, it seems some agents give away extra on board credit. Mine hasn't offered any. One website (I get the impression it's a no no to leave actual names) lists the cruise and Go Best, Better...Perks and up to $200 hotel credit or up to $750 OBC. They say you won't find out until you book how much. Just wondering, should my agent be offering up a little OBC, should I find a different agent that does or order from one of the cruise websites to see what the up to $750 OBC credit is?

To be sure, this depends on where and how you book, etc... there are many variables.

For example, I booked with a TA who offered a great deal of OBC, at the time. When I made a request about a better fare, they were grossly mis-informed, IMO, about the request, as a result we missed a good fare reduction due to this.

I, personally, now believe that great OBC in lieu of service can be an issue. Some mix of both can be good, the challenge is finding the agent/agency which can be both.

If something should go afoul/awry will they be there for you?

Good luck in your search and bon voyage

Small TA's receive less commission than larger TA's...if your friend is a small TA....and if, for example, your cruise costs $1500. the commission will be about $150. Would you want 10% of that? LOL

Otoh, if you are buying a world cruise, then 10% of the commission could sound more reasonable.

Side point: if you want to keep your friend as a friend, you would do well to tell him/her that you are looking for a better deal than what has been offered.

Another point to consider is that a small agency may not charge their own cancellation fee if you must cancel your cruise, while the big box agencies tend to do so. You’ll definitely want to check the terms and conditions before booking Also, $750 obc is almost certainly for a large, expensive suite. The obc for a veranda cabin would be considerably less.

Edited by Silkroad
Clarification

As indicated, any additional perk offered by a TA that is not offered by the cruise line - OBC, specialty dining credit, etc., - comes directly from their commission. There is no protocol that says they "should" offer any, but many do to attract your business.

But then you also need to be aware that a TA may also charge separate fees not charged by the cruise lines to originate, modify, or cancel a booking made through them. There are many that do this, but also many that don't. Do your homework on this before selecting a TA that you feel on balance is right for you.

Personally, regardless of any additional possible perk that may be offered, I wold not do business with a TA that charged extra fees for their service not charged by the cruise line directly.

Thanks. TA is more of an acquaintance and does this on the side. I thought I'd give her the business and alleviate some of the research. I seem to be doing the same amount of research had I done it on my own. I read that many of the travel agencies buy cabins in bulk so maybe I will have better luck getting a decent cabin with one of them. I may head over to Costco today. Who else buys up the cabins? I thought choosing which cruise line was difficult, now it's choosing cabin! I was going to go with a 2B Cabin but the only room left for my TA is right above the smoking deck. Not good! Now deciding if I should go GTY, 2C or splurge and go Aqua. If the bigger agencies have better cabin choices, I think I may need to go that route. I hate doing it but it is our vacation and need to do what's best.

To be sure, this depends on where and how you book, etc... there are many variables.

For example, I booked with a TA who offered a great deal of OBC, at the time. When I made a request about a better fare, they were grossly mis-informed, IMO, about the request, as a result we missed a good fare reduction due to this.

I, personally, now believe that great OBC in lieu of service can be an issue. Some mix of both can be good, the challenge is finding the agent/agency which can be both.

ditto

How much is your cruise price (online)? Many agents give an average of 7-8% ( prior to taxes, port fees, etc.) as a discount or OBC, plus OBC from the consortium they belong to. They may also have a group rate that is even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much is your cruise price (online)? Many agents give an average of 7-8% ( prior to taxes, port fees, etc.) as a discount or OBC, plus OBC from the consortium they belong to. They may also have a group rate that is even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The group rate may show some amount of discount (typically 1 persons stateroom rate for every 8 staterooms at double booking spread over those 8 staterooms. That equals 1/16th off the total per stateroom over that group of 8 rooms - if the TA gives that all back). The trade off is you are limited to stateroom selections within that category block. Very large agencies with larger blocks of staterooms may be able to offer a little more.

You also need to be careful as to what is being discounted as often they will show only the commissionable portion of the stateroom rate with the "discount" and add back the difference in the port taxes and fees portion. The net total on invoice is what you need to see up front to be sure of the total rate charged. The base stateroom with most US mass market cruise lines is the same directly or through a TA. Pricing differences are a matter of timing, slight discounts for blocks as indicated, and perks from TA commissions.

Any TA can book a block of rooms but the larger "big box" agencies tend to do this more frequently and in potentially larger numbers. And to the OP, you cannot mention TA's by name on CC - this thread could be deleted as a result.

Booked a future cruise last week while onboard Infinity. Did not assign the reservation to an Agent, but chose to keep it with Celebrity until I returned home. There was a major price drop one day after my booking and since Celebrity held my reservation was able to get the price drop without going thought the hassle of trying to call my usual TA from the ship and wait for a response. I now have a better price and will call various agents and see what they will add to the perks.

My experience with the big box store you mentioned you're heading to is that their rates are the same as Celebrity's. They'll give you a cash card, not OBC. I have used the same TA for years, she rebates some of her commission to me, but more importantly--she's in my corner when I need her. She's gone to bat several times for me and I've been happy with the results. I'll take the excellent service any day over a few more dollars of OBC. She's the one who has to spend an hour on the phone with Celebrity figuring out how to move a cruise and its perks. I don't have the patience for that.

As for cabin choices, that is something you learn by cruising, participating in cabin crawls, and reading these boards. If you are diligent in this research, you will know more than your TA who needs to know a small amount about many different cruiselines. My TA actually calls me when she has a fine point question about a cabin on Celebrity. She knows I've seen everything and been on the ships enough to make an informed decision about cabins.

The group rate may show some amount of discount (typically 1 persons stateroom rate for every 8 staterooms at double booking spread over those 8 staterooms. That equals 1/16th off the total per stateroom over that group of 8 rooms - if the TA gives that all back). The trade off is you are limited to stateroom selections within that category block. Very large agencies with larger blocks of staterooms may be able to offer a little more.

You also need to be careful as to what is being discounted as often they will show only the commissionable portion of the stateroom rate with the "discount" and add back the difference in the port taxes and fees portion. The net total on invoice is what you need to see up front to be sure of the total rate charged. The base stateroom with most US mass market cruise lines is the same directly or through a TA. Pricing differences are a matter of timing, slight discounts for blocks as indicated, and perks from TA commissions.

Any TA can book a block of rooms but the larger "big box" agencies tend to do this more frequently and in potentially larger numbers. And to the OP, you cannot mention TA's by name on CC - this thread could be deleted as a result.

Thank you. I thought names might be a No-No.... I'm not going to worry about the on board credits other TA's may offer at this point. I just want to get it booked! Because TA is small though, there was only one 2B room available and it's right above the smoking deck. Am I better going to a Big Box store with Travel agency or an online large TA to have more selection of rooms in that category? We don't want an obstructed view so may now upgrade to a 1C.

Thank you. I thought names might be a No-No.... I'm not going to worry about the on board credits other TA's may offer at this point. I just want to get it booked! Because TA is small though, there was only one 2B room available and it's right above the smoking deck. Am I better going to a Big Box store with Travel agency or an online large TA to have more selection of rooms in that category? We don't want an obstructed view so may now upgrade to a 1C.

You yourself can go on the Celebrity website, start to do a dummy booking (no names needed, just itinerary and date) and it will show you all the cabins that are available - the taken ones will be grey, the available ones will be white in any given category. I've never heard of "only" one cabin being available (unless it truly is a popular, almost sold-out cruise).

Once you find a cabin you think you might like, go to the links here on CC that have the M and S class cabin info (the top threads), put the cabin # into search, and see what others who have been in those cabins have to say.

Ahhh, great point and where your research can payoff handsomely.

You are in a position to know what you want, what is available, so you book the best 'currently' showing available with you and/or TA looking for better right at or just after final payment to snag it.

You will have, possibly, best of both worlds...

Good luck and bon voyage

You do not have to book with a TA. You can do the research and do a booking on the Celebrity site. THEN you go surfing the TA's, looking for one who will give you OBC or perks and you can transfer the booking to the one with the best deal. Or you can document the deals and come back here to ask (without naming TA) which deal is really the best. EM

We have had terrible service at a small ta, hassled cancelling from larger ta connected to our insurance company, great service from big box and internet ta. I always compare at least 3 including Celebrity, then choose the best value for us. It is very individual what that is.

After years of using a TA for the additional "perks" (wine, OBC), the hassle of using them became too much. When I saw a better deal (Yes, me) I had to call the TA, most times leave a message, and lose out on the deal, because they were to slow to move on it. I was doing all the research, and they were getting the commission. I said nuts with that, I find a good deal through the cruise line, if I have any questions, I call directly and discuss my booking with them. No hassle. Not worth the extra $25 bucks in OBC. Oh, and I used a TA for a couple of cruises, I had a few questions, I could email them, which for me was convenient, after not hearing back for a few days, I re-emailed them, only to get back a "thread" of emails between the TA's accusing me of being nasty. I call the companies president and forwarded the emails to him, and let him know what he could do with his TA.

We used a big box TA that is mentioned above for our upcomimg cruise and won't do it again. Their system changed the price and perks in their system several times without our knowledge and I spent hours calling them whenever I checked their system and noticed the changes. Each time the agents had to hunt down their issues with calls to Celebrity and their supervisors to correct their invoice. I am so done with them.

We were introduced to a small TA and he pretty much matches the perks of the big box TA, so we are very happy. We text, call and email each other regularly. Absolutely the best customer service. On a separate cruise line, with a newly released 2019 itinerary, he group booked several large suites and contacted his clients/friends and we all jumped on it. Those suites are not even available from the cruiseline itself because they were grabbed by the TAs. We got an owner's suite and we are very excited.

Thanks. TA is more of an acquaintance and does this on the side. I thought I'd give her the business and alleviate some of the research. I seem to be doing the same amount of research had I done it on my own. I read that many of the travel agencies buy cabins in bulk so maybe I will have better luck getting a decent cabin with one of them. I may head over to Costco today. Who else buys up the cabins? I thought choosing which cruise line was difficult, now it's choosing cabin! I was going to go with a 2B Cabin but the only room left for my TA is right above the smoking deck. Not good! Now deciding if I should go GTY, 2C or splurge and go Aqua. If the bigger agencies have better cabin choices, I think I may need to go that route. I hate doing it but it is our vacation and need to do what's best.

We used a small TA who was also an acquaintance for years and the most we ever got was a bottle of wine.

At the time we were cruising with our children and booking two cabins at a time.

I finally started talking to other passengers and realized i was overpaying big time for my cruises. I got two really good names from them and have used them ever since. On some lines I get a discount and on some I get OBC. I currently use one TA who never charges any cancellation or change fees, always goes to bat for me if there's a problem, is available pretty much what feels like 24/7 and gives me about 8% in OBC.

I can't give you her name but I would suggest you do some research and find an online agency and check their cabin availability and prices. If I read your other post (deciding between Princess and Celebrity) correctly, your cruise is relatively soon and you won't be cancelling so cancellation fees aren't an issue this time.

Once on the cruise start talking to people and ask for TA recommendations for next time.

ilymom, you've gotten great advice from the the folks sharing their experiences. A good TA is worth it if you're being satisfied on the things important to you.

We first used a TA in 2006 for our honeymoon in 2007. She got a great deal on the preferred cabin, some OBC and a wonderfull bottle of our favorite wine. Over time we realized the perks were less & we were finding the price drops for her (either same cabin category or upgrade for same $) & perks. We always did next cruise while onboard & moved it to her when we returned.

Last year we kept the future cruise reservation with Celebrity. About two months after we returned home we decided to change ship/itinerary we booked. Expecting to pay more because of the rates I saw online for the newer ship, the agent advised they were having some sort of promotion. I made sure the perks we already had would remain (C2 at C3 price on a desirable deck/hump, $300 OBC & free classic bev pkg). We kept it all and the cabin was $100 less! Then she added an additional $300! Naturally I went over the cofimation page very carefully to ensure what I was told over the phone was listed.

We're really happy and sail Feb 2018.

it pays to shop around. I have used several online TA's and have had good luck with all of them.

Ask questions and read the documents.

I recently booked a transatlantic cruise while sailing on Celebrity. I received a perk of $100. When I arrived home I called 4 different TA's. The perks offered ranged from $150 to $350. Huge difference.

I always ask what port charges will be. and ask if the cabin price decreases will they acknowledge the difference.

Good luck. AND happy hunting

... I thought choosing which cruise line was difficult, now it's choosing cabin! I was going to go with a 2B Cabin but the only room left for my TA is right above the smoking deck. ... If the bigger agencies have better cabin choices, I think I may need to go that route..

I made the mistake of booking through a TA on my first 3 cruises. On my second, I booked a gty. Was assigned a cabin. Checked Cruise Critic reviews, found out about some issues. Called the TA, asked what he knew, what he would recommend. His response: how should I know? Tell what you want, I’ll see if I can get it. I tried with a much recommended northeast TA next time, service was even worse. Have happily booked directly with Celebrity every since. Among other things, I like to choose what cabins I will have...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here in Canada, OBC (or perks) from a TA is rare. Typically their advertised perks are directly pulled from what Celebrity (or others) are offering to anyone so not TA specific. I used to book with a TA more for the comfort of them having my back if something went wrong but I was doing all the work and just paying them to own it and absolutely no benefit. I stopped that a few cruises back when the last straw was the TA that I dealt with for years left the agency and not a word to me about it, I found out when I called asking about our paperwork for flight since it was weeks from sailing and had not received anything, was not impressed to learn she was gone and nobody else seemed to carry on the booking. I realize they are likely not supposed to reach out to anyone in that situation (stealing clients?) but someone else should have inherited her clients and reached out ... that was it.

Now I do all my own research (same as always - this place rocks!), book through cruise line directly (love the control), and especially enjoy the ease of calling the cruise line to inquire/modify/cancel at my own whim. I envy others who get perks from TA but that is not reality where I live so it is what it is ... I will use a TA only for an All Inclusive land vacation should I ever do one again.

Enjoy your cruise!