Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

Thanks. We have a trusted Dogsitter of many years who also house sits. But our dog is not in the best health, can't go up and down steps very well, and I just don't think she would live through four months. When we went on the Eastern Seaboard cruise in October, she stopped eating, and Dogsitter had to put canned sardines in her food. She has us wrapped around her finger--paw. I think I have mail and bills figured out now. I am wondering how many of you WC folks used Viking insurance or where you did get it. I called this morning and Viking quoted $7200 for the two of us...

We purchased the insurance for both WC from Viking . You have to watch out for insurance companies that offer travel insurance! Make sure you get a policy that covers the entire cruise . Many only cover the first 100 days or less. Viking’s insurance is not cheap but it covers the entire cruise and I believe the Viking air part also

Again , for piece of mind - it’s cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good advice. I think the Viking insurance just has to be figured into the overall price of the WC. I haven't found anything else...

If it helps, our ta gave us a cash rebate of more than the insurance cost. And yes, go with the Viking insurance.🎉

Last night was the cruse critic meet and greet. Great turnout and again kudos to Mamsam for all her hard work organizing for the rest of us. Sea days have been relaxing and seem to fly by without doing very many organized things. Back at the gym for the second day!!:eek: Weather since LA has been cloudy, cool, intermittent sprinkles and only a gentle swell. Just right for sleeping. Lois discovered a new favorite cocktail, the Viking Royale. Not sure exactly what goes in it but it is very refreshing. Wifi is adequate for emails but not good for streaming anything. They have lots of cricket and soccer on the tv and the big screen at the pool but can't seem to get american football or ESPN. Bummer, trying to watch the College Championship Game today. Roll Tide!!:cool:

Lois, I tried a Viking Royale tonight up in the Explores’ Lounge....great drink...thanks.

Waiting for some sunshine but our days are wonderful.

Shoalwater, if you are monitoring this thread, there is quite a bit of different evening entertainment and fantastic enrichment lectures. I think Heather, the cruise director, who has done numerous WCs has worked diligently to put together entertainment that works well for this audience.

Shoalwater, if you are monitoring this thread, there is quite a bit of different evening entertainment and fantastic enrichment lectures. I think Heather, the cruise director, who has done numerous WCs has worked diligently to put together entertainment that works well for this audience.

Thanks. Keep us up to date as the voyage progresses. We had excellent enrichment and destination lecturers aboard our troubled Amazon cruise as well. Viking seems to excel in this area, and we were planted in the theater for most of them. Heather is truly one of the best CDs we've ever had the pleasure of sailing with, and it's our fondest wish that she'll do the 2019 World Cruise. Please ask her for us when you see her. I had a good, long discussion today with a Viking Customer Service rep about things from the Amazon trip as well as the WC for 2019. The rep said the plan for the WC is far different than the other voyages, especially since it's sold as one voyage and not in segments. This means all passengers remain aboard the entire length, and that Viking is sensitive to do what they are able to avoid duplication. I am led to believe that you will have a host of guest entertainers to cover the sea days, and local, folkloric groups for port overnights. The rep also said its Viking's intention to shuttle in new chefs to keep the menus varied and different. My wife and I truly want to take the 2019 WC, and if this promised plan is followed on your WC, we'll be relieved. So, keep your reports coming and have a great cruise.

Today is starting bright and sunny for the first time. Patches of sun with lots of cloud and scattered rain since LA. It is getting quite warm as we are not too far from the equator. The string of sea days has allowed us to settle in, meet quite a few folks, rest and get over the stress of planning, packing, travel days. Getting ready for a few stops now. Had dinner at the Captain's Table last night and it was very good. Peking duck was the main course. All the courses paired with wines and was nicely presented. Will line up another reservation for the next menu. Off to the gym and pool. could get used to this.....;p:cool:

I thought I had read that the Viking Sun will be formally christened during this world cruise saling with a big celebration.

The next christening celebration will be in Shanghai, where the Sun's godmother is from. We were not allowed to have fireworks in Shanghai, so they had them for our Sailaway in LA while Torstein Hagen and family were on board for the evening to greet us and wish us Bon Voyage.

We cross the equator tomorrow!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Have fun with the ship's celebration of crossing of the equator and later at the christening event in Shanghai .

Saw the pictures of the send off fireworks on a WC'er blog.

She also reported that a mixed choir has been formed so you will be entertained with song along the way to the South Pacific.

Hey Jim! Want to meet for Lemon drops in Explorer Lounge? Will be there until ~8:00pm. Checked shirt and grey hair/beard.

Tom

Sure! Going to the Crossing the Line shindig at 3:00. Will look for you after.👀🍸🍸

Have fun with the ship's celebration of crossing of the equator and later at the christening event in Shanghai .

Saw the pictures of the send off fireworks on a WC'er blog.

She also reported that a mixed choir has been formed so you will be entertained with song along the way to the South Pacific.

Forming a mixed choir. What a great idea! If I were doing a long cruuse like that I'd try to be first in line to sign up! Color me the Alto persuasion. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Forming a mixed choir. What a great idea! If I were doing a long cruuse like that I'd try to be first in line to sign up! Color me the Alto persuasion. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is the link to her cruise blog. Yes, a choir sounds like fun, but I cannot really sing unless I am in a very big group of very good singers.

https://wordwrite.wixsite.com/passepartout

You can read it on a computer, but not an ipad or tablet.

It is one of the best blogs I have read in all my years here on CC.

I got it from the WC roll call a couple of months ago.

Enjoy.

Here is the link to her cruise blog. Yes, a choir sounds like fun, but I cannot really sing unless I am in a very big group of very good singers.

https://wordwrite.wixsite.com/passepartout

You can read it on a computer, but not an ipad or tablet.

It is one of the best blogs I have read in all my years here on CC.

I got it from the WC roll call a couple of months ago.

Enjoy.

Will have to wait til I have access to my computer at home. Thoroughly enjoying sailing from Coxen Hole to Puerto Limon, our next port of call. [emoji6]