Check on how many flights you have to take before booking

willow949

While onboard the Westerdam in November, I booked a Double Denali cruise for May. Little did I know it involved 5 total flights from Southern California with layovers! My DH hates to fly unless it’s his own plane and said NO! Rebooked to the 14 day round trip cruise from Seattle. Only 21/2 hour flight nonstop instead of all day or overnight from Fairbanks and three stops with layovers. Next time I will check the flights, but I like the extra perks from booking while on the ship.

Yes, I always want to know what air travel related misery I will be putting myself to before I book to go anywhere . My dh knew if he booked a trip to anywehre my first question was a lways, whatdto we have to deal with to get there? He always had the answer ready as he knew I wasn't asking just to be difficugt. ........ H e knew my feelings about airports and flights. He always got us the easies t possbile routing. :)

I have not cruised in several years because my travel companions’ health deteriorated. There are two things keeping me from solo cruising - double occupancy pricing (although that’s getting better) and my absolute hatred of flying. I spent 75 hours total on trains in 2017, and loved every minute of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree flights should factor into travel decisions but Alaska is the exception. Round trip Seattle is an Alaska light trip with no opportunity to explore inland regions. You must include Fairbanks or Anchorage to do a land tour. I would hate to miss Denali, not to mention the other beautiful regions.

I agree flights should factor into travel decisions but Alaska is the exception. Round trip Seattle is an Alaska light trip with no opportunity to explore inland regions. You must include Fairbanks or Anchorage to do a land tour. I would hate to miss Denali, not to mention the other beautiful regions.

I would hardly consider the 14-day Seattle R/T an "Alaska Light" trip. Or perhaps you missed that in the OP's post

Rebooked to the 14 day round trip cruise from Seattle

But you don't cruise on HAL, do you, so you probably aren't familiar with that itinerary.

Edited by VennDiagram

While onboard the Westerdam in November, I booked a Double Denali cruise for May. Little did I know it involved 5 total flights from Southern California with layovers! My DH hates to fly unless it’s his own plane and said NO! Rebooked to the 14 day round trip cruise from Seattle. Only 21/2 hour flight nonstop instead of all day or overnight from Fairbanks and three stops with layovers. Next time I will check the flights, but I like the extra perks from booking while on the ship.

I'm with your husband -- 5 flights with layovers is at least 3, maybe 4, too many ;) Even my husband understands it now, and no longer insists on the lowest-priced routing.

We booked our upcoming cruise from Civitavecchia in big part because we can fly nonstop to Rome. I checked flights from my city to various European cities FIRST, and once I realized that Rome would provide the best flights, then I narrowed down my search to cruises only departing from that city.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would hardly consider the 14-day Seattle R/T an "Alaska Light" trip. Or perhaps you missed that in the OP's post

But you don't cruise on HAL, do you, so you probably aren't familiar with that itinerary.

I have sailed Alaska on several cruise lines including HAL.

There is no opportunity to do an interior land tour on 7-14 day round trip Seattle sailings.

There is a difference when you spend multiple days touring the land.

IF these extra perks you mention is addional on board credit (usually double), you can receive this by asking for the ZPM promotion code. This entitles you to the same amount of OBC as when booking on-board.

There is no opportunity to do an interior land tour on 7-14 day round trip Seattle sailings.

Why would you say such a thing to someone who has intentionally replaced their cruise/land tour with the 14 day RT Seattle?

You referred to the 14 day RT Seattle as Alaska "light". There are only two reasons you would say that:

1. You are unfamiliar with that itinerary or

2. You wanted to diminish the choice that the OP has made

I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, that you were unaware... instead of thinking of you as unkind.

We booked our upcoming cruise from Civitavecchia in big part because we can fly nonstop to Rome. I checked flights from my city to various European cities FIRST, and once I realized that Rome would provide the best flights, then I narrowed down my search to cruises only departing from that city.

Have you been to Rome before? Some distances:

Airport to Rome: 30-40 minutes

Rome to Civitacecchia (Port): 1hour

Airport to Port: 45 minutes

Rome may have good flights, but land travel time is a little far compared to other ports. Depending on where you are leaving from, you may not be able to fly in the day of the cruise.

I'm not being critical of your choice, just wanted to give you a "heads up"!:)

Edited by PSR

Why would you say such a thing to someone who has intentionally replaced their cruise/land tour with the 14 day RT Seattle?

You referred to the 14 day RT Seattle as Alaska "light". There are only two reasons you would say that:

1. You are unfamiliar with that itinerary or

2. You wanted to diminish the choice that the OP has made

I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, that you were unaware... instead of thinking of you as unkind.

Sammiedawg's comments are perfectly fine.

Have you been to Rome before?

...I'm not being critical of your choice, just wanted to give you a "heads up"!:)

Yes, I’ve been to Rome before, but on land vacations. Thanks for the heads up though! [emoji3]We will be flying to Rome 3 days before the cruise and our return flight is not until the afternoon on the day the ship returns.

Rome is the ONLY Mediterranean embarkation port with nonstop flights from my city during that time of year. Flying to any other embarkation port would require a connection and/or waiting an extra day for our return flight. We are traveling with small children so, needless to say, the nonstop flights to/from Rome with convenient hours are ideal.

The routing and the layover times, if necessary are very important to us. Often more important than the fare.

On the other hand, from time to time we have grabbed a very attractive fare because it stopped in a city on our bucket list. We took an extremely inexpensive flight to Porto, Portugal. Spent a week touring valley and then an inexpensive TAP flight to Rome to pick up our cruise. The difference in total fare helped pay for our time in the Douro Valley.

No, but one can do two separate Vancouver to Seward (northbound) and back again (southbound) cruises with time in Anchorage. Different cruise lines could be used for the desired time up north.

igraf

Knowing that we don't have direct flights to anywhere, I do make certain that when I book flights, there will be only 1 layover and with ample time in between the flights in case anything goes wrong.

How can you not have direct flights to anywhere?

If I recall correctly, Krazy Kruizers lives in Nova Scotia. He/she would have to fly to Toronto or Montreal to get to most places (I live in Montreal, and have family in Halifax).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, You arej mistaken. KK is from U.S., It is not my business to say in which state she lives.

If I recall correctly, Krazy Kruizers lives in Nova Scotia. He/she would have to fly to Toronto or Montreal to get to most places (I live in Montreal, and have family in Halifax). Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry, You are mistaken. KK is from U.S., It is not my business to say in which state she lives.