RCCL new Diamond Lounge Policy?

seeyakids

I can vouch for this. Our first cruise as D and we went into the lounge for the first happy hour and the dirty looks we got from people was awesome! The Diamond Concierge made sure take take good care of us though. We felt extremely welcome thanks to her.

Its rare for that to happen you probably went in when the wrong people were in.

Graham.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

The Cosmopolitan Lounge (formerly called the Viking Crown Lounge) was used as the overflow. We had table mates who remarked that the sailing before, they had a similar amount and did not use the outer lounge as overflow for the first day or two and it was disastrous, so Royal clearly adjusted. They had the Concierge or another staff member checking seapass cards almost immediately when you came out of the elevator. It was an uncomfortable exchange between cruisers and staff when the cruiser was not eligible to be enjoying that space

We love to go to VCL for a drink around 5pm . Going on Navigator in a few months - hope they don’t close down this space for non diamond guests. We won’t be diamond until half way across the Atlantic so won’t be eligible on this trip for DL. Will be very disappointed if they keep us out of VCL

The Cosmopolitan Lounge (formerly called the Viking Crown Lounge) was used as the overflow. We had table mates who remarked that the sailing before, they had a similar amount and did not use the outer lounge as overflow for the first day or two and it was disastrous, so Royal clearly adjusted. They had the Concierge or another staff member checking seapass cards almost immediately when you came out of the elevator. It was an uncomfortable exchange between cruisers and staff when the cruiser was not eligible to be enjoying that space

We love to go to VCL for a drink around 5pm . Going on Navigator in a few months - hope they don’t close down this space for non diamond guests. We won’t be diamond until half way across the Atlantic so won’t be eligible on this trip for DL. Will be very disappointed if they keep us out of VCL

Same on the recent Independence OTS T/A from England. Jackie(Concierge) and her staff were stationed at the elevator lobby at the Olive or Twist(Viking Crown) every evening. After a few days she knew who you were. It was crowded at times, but was still very nice talking with lots of people. Other times seats open everywhere. IMO, things went very well. We had a great sailing.

Kinda related here. On my last cruise, I would sometimes use the drink vouchers to get some extra cans of beer for the fridge in the cabin in case I wanted one outside of the cocktail hour. If you request they don't open the can for you, they won't. I wound up with a surplus on my last day of the cruise and took a few with me off the ship. :)

We had extra diet Cokes to take to our cabins. Both from the bar and the DL.

So I have been trying to follow this conversation and would appreciate a confirmation to what I took in. There is talk or rumor that RCCL may take away the Diamond Lounge privileges to "just" Diamonds because there are so many folks. There have been some lounges so crowded that they have not been the quiet oasis of the past and required the use of an over flow area. Has RCCL made any clear statements that they will be doing this? If indeed this is the future perhaps grandfathering the current " just" Diamonds will avoid a massive uprising. Since the" just" Diamond are most likely going to continue to cruise based on the loyalty status they will be Diamond plus in the near future.

We became "just" Diamond two years ago and have enjoyed the Diamond Lounges. Our bartenders became very apt at making my husbands drink which was not always the case outside the lounge. We met some very funny and delightful folks in the lounge that were always willing to share their stories and advise. We were on the Jewell in December and it was rare that the lounge was too busy for one bartender but it did happen now and then. Guests were mindful of this challenge and flowed with it. The attached bar on the other side (Viking Lounge?) was usually empty and underutilized so they did open the door and added a few more tables The area was roped of by a sign saying private party. We were there two weeks and the consignor did ask in the beginning of the first week for our sea pass cards to confirm our status which was done quietly

The consignor was fabulous. Always a friendly greeting and filled with great advise when asked . Folks in the suite lounge felt the same way about their lounge. The lounge provides an intimacy of fun not found on our cruise ship bars.. So it is not just the free drinks that would be missed if the lounge disappeared for" just" Diamonds. We will be back on the Jewell in March and hope the same staff will be assigned to the lounge. I am hopeful that they open the over flow area so we can enjoy our drinks with my sister who is on her first RCCL cruise. They have the beverage package.

So I have been trying to follow this conversation and would appreciate a confirmation to what I took in. There is talk or rumor that RCCL may take away the Diamond Lounge privileges to "just" Diamonds because there are so many folks. There have been some lounges so crowded that they have not been the quiet oasis of the past and required the use of an over flow area. Has RCCL made any clear statements that they will be doing this? If indeed this is the future perhaps grandfathering the current " just" Diamonds will avoid a massive uprising. Since the" just" Diamond are most likely going to continue to cruise based on the loyalty status they will be Diamond plus in the near future.

We became "just" Diamond two years ago and have enjoyed the Diamond Lounges. Our bartenders became very apt at making my husbands drink which was not always the case outside the lounge. We met some very funny and delightful folks in the lounge that were always willing to share their stories and advise. We were on the Jewell in December and it was rare that the lounge was too busy for one bartender but it did happen now and then. Guests were mindful of this challenge and flowed with it. The attached bar on the other side (Viking Lounge?) was usually empty and underutilized so they did open the door and added a few more tables The area was roped of by a sign saying private party. We were there two weeks and the consignor did ask in the beginning of the first week for our sea pass cards to confirm our status which was done quietly

The consignor was fabulous. Always a friendly greeting and filled with great advise when asked . Folks in the suite lounge felt the same way about their lounge. The lounge provides an intimacy of fun not found on our cruise ship bars.. So it is not just the free drinks that would be missed if the lounge disappeared for" just" Diamonds. We will be back on the Jewell in March and hope the same staff will be assigned to the lounge. I am hopeful that they open the over flow area so we can enjoy our drinks with my sister who is on her first RCCL cruise. They have the beverage package.

At the moment it is just a discussion among ourselves and nothing official from RC.

Since I have your attention I do have a question regarding tipping. I know...it is whatever you feel appropriate. I just would like a guide line. Do you tip every day or at the end of the cruise? Does the bartender get some sort of tip like the do in the lounges off of each drink you order? We both worked in the service industry at some time in our working lives and appreciate the hard work and good service when it is provided. We want to let them know that we noticed that not only did they do their job well but smiled, were prompt and often went the extra mile to make our cruise experience very positive. Thank you for your input.

Since I have your attention I do have a question regarding tipping. I know...it is whatever you feel appropriate. I just would like a guide line. Do you tip every day or at the end of the cruise? Does the bartender get some sort of tip like the do in the lounges off of each drink you order? We both worked in the service industry at some time in our working lives and appreciate the hard work and good service when it is provided. We want to let them know that we noticed that not only did they do their job well but smiled, were prompt and often went the extra mile to make our cruise experience very positive. Thank you for your input.

Our method for 14 nights is $2.50 per basic drink, or $5.00 for a cocktail. Then a general $50.00 or above for excellent service. Seems we are always well remembered, if you understand

We give the server $1 per drink in the DL because sometimes there are several servers,some others do also and some don't.

Before i did this i would give the main server at the end of our weeks cruise $70 equating to $10 a day and $20 (more or less) to the concierge depending what if anything they did for us during the week.

On one cruise the concierge was brilliant so we took her out for a meal on the last night after the DL closed.

I’m curious how this will work out on the Grandeur out of Baltimore if they do away with the overflow. I cruise on her 3-4 times a year and we have always had an overflow. I mean a lot of people in the overflow...well over 100 passengers. Even the Concierge lounge has a big overflow. I’ll be cruising in April again. Can’t wait to see what will happen. There might be a mutiny if they do away with the overflow. I guess the Schooner Bar will be extremely crowded. It usually is anyway. Should be interesting. Didn’t hear anything about any changes yet. Cheers! [emoji484][emoji485][emoji481]

Not accusing anyone of binge drinking but here is the CDC definition.

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking that brings a person’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC) to 0.08 grams percent or above. This typically happens when men consume 5 or more drinks or women consume 4 or more drinks in about 2 hours.

Someone suggested offering 5 drinks on the vouchers, over a 3 hour period. I imagine it makes a difference if one drinks wine, beer or hard liquor.

I don't have a dog in the fight as I usually have one, sometimes two an evening. I also don't care if a person takes full advantage of what is currently offered and drinks as much as they want.

M

When we sailed Empress last year, there was no lounge or dedicated C&A cocktail space. Is that still the process on that ship? No one complained about the lack of the lounge or dedicated cocktail space. Everyone simply used the three vouchers around the ship. Folks seemed to congregate in the Schooner Bar or Boleros.

M

When we sailed Empress last year, there was no lounge or dedicated C&A cocktail space. Is that still the process on that ship? No one complained about the lack of the lounge or dedicated cocktail space. Everyone simply used the three vouchers around the ship. Folks seemed to congregate in the Schooner Bar or Boleros.

M

Yes, same with Majesty.

If this is what I have to look forward to, I can't wait to mess with people. We'll be 33 and 38 when we hit diamond in December. With my earrings, tattoos, and bright blue ponytail, I'm sure I'll fit right in. :'):'):')

But really...they have so much free time they patrol? I wish!

Don’t worry, there are many diamonds younger than 33. No doubt plenty of them sport body art and hair color. Some of those young diamonds earned it by cruising themselves, others obtained it via linkage to parent or significant other. Either way, they can use the DL. If you choose to place your sea pass card in a visible place (like face up on table or on a lanyard around your neck), any busy-bodies can glance over to see satisfy their curiosity. Or let them stew...your choice.

The DL can be nice, so check it out. If it seems too sedate or such, there are plenty of other venues to enjoy. That’s the nice thing about having vouchers; everybody can try to find a spot that suits them.

Don’t worry, there are many diamonds younger than 33. No doubt plenty of them sport body art and hair color. Some of those young diamonds earned it by cruising themselves, others obtained it via linkage to parent or significant other. Either way, they can use the DL. If you choose to place your sea pass card in a visible place (like face up on table or on a lanyard around your neck), any busy-bodies can glance over to see satisfy their curiosity. Or let them stew...your choice.

The DL can be nice, so check it out. If it seems too sedate or such, there are plenty of other venues to enjoy. That’s the nice thing about having vouchers; everybody can try to find a spot that suits them.

The best DL experience was on Navigator out of Rome in May 2013.

When we first walked in there was a small group of America's having fun and a little boisterous

They asked us to join them and we all had a fantastic time and by the end of the week the whole DL were sat in a circle and best friends the conversation and fun was amazing.

Thanks for the tipping guidelines. Gee, we were a little too much under your frame of reference. Good thing we are going back to, hopefully, the same staff. I struggled last cruise as to how to tip and now your advise will be most helpful.

Does the bartender get any tip credits from the ship either in the lounge or one of the voucher drinks? I do praise good service on the reviews as another form of appreciation.

Just a note we had a few occasions that the lounges would not give us the credits for one of the three drinks. We were even charged a couple of times and had to have customer service to delete the charge. We didn't sign for the drinks but they showed up on our bill. No one was sure why that happened. So check your bills on your drink costs as you go to avoid the long lines at the end of the cruise.

Thanks for the tipping guidelines. Gee, we were a little too much under your frame of reference. Good thing we are going back to, hopefully, the same staff. I struggled last cruise as to how to tip and now your advise will be most helpful.

Does the bartender get any tip credits from the ship either in the lounge or one of the voucher drinks? I do praise good service on the reviews as another form of appreciation.

Just a note we had a few occasions that the lounges would not give us the credits for one of the three drinks. We were even charged a couple of times and had to have customer service to delete the charge. We didn't sign for the drinks but they showed up on our bill. No one was sure why that happened. So check your bills on your drink costs as you go to avoid the long lines at the end of the cruise.

Your welcome.

I believe they are part of the bar tipping pool.

By tipping per drink everyone who serves you gets a tip and at the end of the week if you want to give someone a little extra thats fine but by tipping by drink you don't need to give extra.

When using the vouchers on your sea pass it pays to tell the waiter they are diamond drinks,i still give a dollar a drink and never been charged or had to sign for the drinks.

Yes, same with Majesty.

On Her Majesty they would rope off an area of the Viking Lounge for the Diamond Evening Event. In this way they could walk around with small plates of snack food to put on the tables where people were seated. It was a nice atmosphere; pleasant seating arrangements with the ability to look out the windows from the VL.

Your welcome.

I believe they are part of the bar tipping pool.

By tipping per drink everyone who serves you gets a tip and at the end of the week if you want to give someone a little extra thats fine but by tipping by drink you don't need to give extra.

When using the vouchers on your sea pass it pays to tell the waiter they are diamond drinks,i still give a dollar a drink and never been charged or had to sign for the drinks.

We have never needed to 'tell' the waiter that the drink we were ordering were 'diamond drinks'....they see from our seapass card our status.