Government Shutdown

bigbeergut

Read the first line, everything else is contingent upon Congress making a law abridging the freedoms. The Amendments do not apply to anything outside of the government infringing upon them. I don't mean to be rude but this is Con Law 101 and applies to pretty much every amendment. Sorry, but that's the way it is.
My apologies, you are so correct in this.

No need to apologize when you are correct, as usual.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Simon,

We have been through several shutdowns in the past 30 years or so. It doesn't impact any of the things you mentioned, except perhaps trash collection in DC.

I am a retired Federal Employee and was on furlough two or three times, but always got paid after it ended.

Thanks Simon. My young granddaughter works for TSA and is deemed "essential personnel". She has her own apartment, student loans as a recent college grad and a new car payment plus all the expenses that goes with Independence. She can't make it long without a paycheck. Good to know she'll get paid eventually.

We boarded the Eclipse today. Boarding start was delayed for quite some time because the ship was given clearance two hours later than expected or usual. It was a little after noon before boarding commenced. Lots of passengers eager to board, and happily, we have had a lovely sail away from Miami. Kudos to the Celebrity department that had the Muster station/emergency video made. Fun surprise. I hope it is in use fleet wide. It is new since our last Celebrity cruise.

Actually, they will. All the major financial outlets are warning people to very carefully check their withholding this year as a number of the changes could impact whether you owe a penalty in 2019. And the actual implementation rules, and new W-4 rules, haven't been written yet. That would be true of any major tax change regardless of the party in power.

However, this thread already has a tendency to veer into the political. Whether this lapse results in difficulties for travelers is to be determined, depending largely on how long it lasts, and whether there's a decision to go with minimum required manning or optimal manning.

You missed my point. You said the shutdown would delay refund processing in part because of the new tax laws just passed. That is not true; the new tax legislation has nothing to do with 2017 taxes. While refunds might be slowed down because of man-power issues, it will have nothing to do with the new tax law. Only 2018 taxes, with returns due in 2019, could be affected by the new tax law.

We boarded the Eclipse today. Boarding start was delayed for quite some time because the ship was given clearance two hours later than expected or usual. It was a little after noon before boarding commenced. Lots of passengers eager to board, and happily, we have had a lovely sail away from Miami. Kudos to the Celebrity department that had the Muster station/emergency video made. Fun surprise. I hope it is in use fleet wide. It is new since our last Celebrity cruise.

I believe there was a similar shut down in Dec 1996 .

We were in SanFrancisco for a few days and the Redwood forest , Alcatraz and Yosemite, amongst others were all closed , disappointing but not the end of the World for us , we were on holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 year later...

I was worried about an immigration slowdown coming back through Miami cruise port on January 14.  I know the immigration officers are not on furlough, but I was afraid many might not come to work.  In actuality,  In 7 cruises, I have never cleared immigration quicker.  Never have seen anything like it in my many years of travel.  The immigration officer was not even behind the counter, he was standing in front in the lane where you walk past the counter.  All we did was have our passports open to the page showing our picture--and he nodded.  In actuality, we never even stopped--our feet kept moving.

10 minutes ago, Jdrbohlav said:

I was worried about an immigration slowdown coming back through Miami cruise port on January 14.  I know the immigration officers are not on furlough, but I was afraid many might not come to work.  In actuality,  In 7 cruises, I have never cleared immigration quicker.  Never have seen anything like it in my many years of travel.  The immigration officer was not even behind the counter, he was standing in front in the lane where you walk past the counter.  All we did was have our passports open to the page showing our picture--and he nodded.  In actuality, we never even stopped--our feet kept moving.

Maybe I am reading wrong but it looks like you just resurrected a post from January '2018' so a year ago.  Similar topic perhaps but I suspect it's not necessarily going to match exactly where things stand today.

41 minutes ago, Jdrbohlav said:

Sorry--I thought the post was from 2019.  I came through Miami cruise port on January 14, 2019.  So this is current information.

Didn't mean to call you out, just pointed out for anyone who (like me) reads through before realizing the discussion was about last year shut down.

1 hour ago, poffles said:

Didn't mean to call you out, just pointed out for anyone who (like me) reads through before realizing the discussion was about last year shut down.

Did they have a shutdown last year, and I missed it?  :classic_dry:

There was another thread recently on the shutdown -- maybe that was on the RCL boards.

10 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

There was another thread recently on the shutdown -- maybe that was on the RCL boards.

Likely my wrong assumption, just figured something happened last January to trigger the discussion but ignore me since I don't know LOL

Jumping off now 🙂

On 1/20/2018 at 6:11 AM, cruisestitch said:

TSA, Customs and Immigration are all exempt activities. They are not affected by furloughs.

Many are not furloughed but still not getting paid. Missing two paychecks (so far), a months pay, can be devastating in the present. Getting it paid back later can be too late for creditors. Many of those calling in sick are doing it to take another job. There are air delays at Newark, La Guardia and Philadelphia do to air traffic controller shortages.

54 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

It took place January 2018 and lasted a couple of days.  A weekend shutdown. 

Edited by davekathy

34 minutes ago, sasset said:

Many are not furloughed but still not getting paid. Missing two paychecks (so far), a months pay, can be devastating in the present. Getting it paid back later can be too late for creditors. Many of those calling in sick are doing it to take another job. There are air delays at Newark, La Guardia and Philadelphia do to air traffic controller shortages.

Although it is expected the federal workers will get paid (historically they always have been) I have not seen a guarantee they will be paid. But, note this... all the back pay is lumped in with the next pay they receive (and taxes as such.)  They then subtract all the deductions  that have not been taken out.. medical, life insurance etc.   The outcome is pathetic. It will not make up for what was lost. Ask me how I know.  I was an essential employee in 1995 (three week) shutdown.  Oddly, my husband (at the time) was also essential employee.

I thank G-d every day that I am retired but pray for my former co-workers and other hard working feds. In my 35 years with the government I worked with mostly dedicated caring people that gave 125% to the job. Off my soap box. 

When this hits the airlines hard IMO, that will bring about the end to this mess. This country cannot economically go on without the commercial airlines operating. We can survive without cruising (perish the thought!) but not the airlines. The economic impact would be way more devastating than it is now and it would cripple the economy. Again, JMHO......

Phil...........floridacruisers  

11 minutes ago, floridacruisers said:

When this hits the airlines hard IMO, that will bring about the end to this mess. This country cannot economically go on without the commercial airlines operating. We can survive without cruising (perish the thought!) but not the airlines. The economic impact would be way more devastating than it is now and it would cripple the economy. Again, JMHO......

Phil...........floridacruisers  

It looks like you may  be right, as we wait for word.  Slowdowns in Philly and NY are just the beginning.  It looks there will be a three weeks CR. 

Maybe I can still get my Global Entry interview in San Juan on Tuesday before boarding Summit.  They cancelled the appointment 2 days ago.  I just called and they said they haven't gotten instructions yet and I should call on Monday.  Very nice guy on the phone.  I'm feeling selfish since they haven't got paid in a month!

I've read that some of the departments will issue partial paychecks asap to help mitigate the tax ramifications of getting one big paycheck.  Sure, in the long run it's all the same come tax return day, but for most folks it helps not getting bumped into another bracket for just one check vis a vis daily living expenses. I believe.  Since, surprise, grocery stores don't just let you get food on credit LOL!

Of course, so many federal contractors will not be getting back pay.  I know this mess has reinforced my appreciation for all those federal workers that we too often take for granted.  

Not that it matters, since it's over, until next time. Essential workers do not all get paid. When we returned on Jan. 11, there was a delay at customs, specifically because unpaid workers were calling in sick. In addition, TSA and air traffic controllers are forced to work but not get paid.  I have lots of friends who are working with no pay.  

17 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

I had not heard that... great news :classic_biggrin:

That was what one fed employee heard from her union so hoping the was correct....hopefully all the departments will follow suit.  Also hoping all the departments expedite payroll processing - I'm sure, left to themselves, they'll get things done quickly and efficiently.  

9 minutes ago, greykitty said:

That was what one fed employee heard from her union so hoping the was correct....hopefully all the departments will follow suit.  Also hoping all the departments expedite payroll processing - I'm sure, left to themselves, they'll get things done quickly and efficiently.  

In most cases each dept/agency does not do their own payroll (unless they are a huge agency, I presume)  the payroll is processed centrally (quite a bit by the National Finance  Center, in New Orleans.)   I shudder to think that they could go out again in three weeks.

Not sure what agency she's with, but I do hope the agencies leap to get logistics done asap, before our chief executive changes his mind again :classic_sad:

I also fear that a lot of federal employees and contractors will be spiffing up their resumes/retirement plans and move on.  I wouldn't blame them at all, tell the truth.