Traditional Dining - what if you don’t show?

spersephone

My family and I went on an awesome cruise with Princess recently, and did the Anytime Dining. We didn’t really understand Traditional Dining, so didn’t do it. We’re booked on another cruise next year, and I thought we’d try for the traditional dining, for an early sitting. However, looking at our itinerary, there are a number of days late in the cruise when we’d probably end up coming back later than the intended dining time.

What is the situation if you expect to be a no-show? By asking for traditional dining, are you committing to “being faithful” to that dining room? Do you have any say in which one it is? I’m honestly not really sure about it - there were several on the Diamond Princess, and we didn’t really understand how it worked. There was one that we were’t allowed into, and I assume that’s the traditional dining room. But does that mean that we can’t try the specialty dining venues?

I would hate to think that we are being rude by missing a number of the days that we’re expected to be there. Is this also where breakfast is served?

I have searched the forums for a recent question similar to this, and I hope that I haven’t simply asked the same question that has been asked over and over again, but it’s the one aspect of cruising that I really don’t understand. If it turns out we’re committing a faux pas by not turning up on several occasions, I’ll change it to Anytime Dining on the booking. However, I also think there will be many days, particularly at the start of the journey, when we’d really appreciate the set dining time. If we say we’ll be there at 5:30pm, and don’t arrive until 6pm, is that the height of rudeness?

Thank you in anticipation of your assistance. :)

If you are in traditional seating, and you KNOW you won't be there the next day, it's nice to tell your waiter and/or tablemates. It's not required. And if you don't decide until the last minute, there is no need to attempt to inform anyone.

Breakfast (and lunch on sea days) is served in the dining room...open seating for those meals.

You are under no obligation to be "faithful" to anything (except your spouse!)

Thank you, that puts my mind at ease! I just felt as though we probably shouldn’t request it if we think there will be times when we’re not wanting to eat there, or that early. But if you don’t book it, you don’t get it the other times when you really want it - so I was conflicted.

It's polite to notify your waiter or tablemates that you won't be coming to the dining room, or may be late arriving the following day because of a tour that gets back later in the day, when you choose traditional dining. Usually the waiters wait for all passengers assigned to a table to be seated before beginning to take orders for their meals. So if no one knows you will not be there, the others at the table may have their meal delayed, which is inconvenient if they are planning to go to a show after dinner.

If we make reservations for one of the specialty restaurants, we inform our waiter of our plans the previous night.

If you re supposed to be at the dining room at the 1st or 2nd times, then you are there at that time! The waiter takes everyone's dinner orders at the same time and brings all the dinners at the sametime. He will ask everyone if they want to order or wait for the missing people. Usually they sat to order now, why hold entire table's order up? If you are late, he then has to take your order and this throws his schedule off. He has to go get your order after every else's is being put together. Being late is very rude for others at your table and the wait staff.

Just see the maitre'd and asked to be moved ti the later time. There is a time in the afternoon the day you board for passengers to see the maitre'd and ask for changes or other dining questions. If you go at 1st seating, you can also ask him then to change your times.

Or, go to the buffet and eat dinner there- but this is not the same as eating in the dining room.

We have been on 100+ cruises since 1985 and HATE anytime dining. We also do not like he 1st seating time either! With traditional your waiter will get to know you and what you'd like, My husband asks for milk on 1st night. Then the waiter knows this and brings milk without being asked every night. You get to know your tablemates and enjoy seeing each other not just in the dining room. We met a couple in 2006 as tablemates and have cruised together every year since then. We have also seen tablemates at there homes in FL & PA. If we had only eaten with them one night, we'd never get to know them.

So, ask to move to the 2nd seating and don't use the excuse that that is too late. I have been known to go to the buffet when they open at 6pm, for cheese or the fried shrimp they have 1st night, to munch on before dinner.

Edited by Bonnie J.

My family and I went on an awesome cruise with Princess recently, and did the Anytime Dining. We didn’t really understand Traditional Dining, so didn’t do it. We’re booked on another cruise next year, and I thought we’d try for the traditional dining, for an early sitting. However, looking at our itinerary, there are a number of days late in the cruise when we’d probably end up coming back later than the intended dining time. I've read here on cruise critic that occasionally on late port days dining times are suspended because so many folks will still be out and about but you probably won't know that until you are on the ship. I personally don't remember because when we do traditional dining we chose the late seating.

What is the situation if you expect to be a no-show? Out of courtesy, notify your servers the night before so they are not waiting for you and thus holding up the service especially if you are at a big table. By asking for traditional dining, are you committing to “being faithful” to that dining room? In theory, yes because if you go to the ATD room you are taking the space allocated to those without traditional dining and leaving your space empty. At prime dining hours (5:30 to 7:30) there is lots of 'competition' for small (2 top) tables in ATD and those folks don't have to option of going to a traditional dining room. On 2 cruises last fall on the Royal Princess they were checking cruise cards (which denote ATD or traditional) in both the ATD and traditional MDRs (we started in late traditional and switched to anytime because 8:00 pm proved too late for one of our party) but I don't know what the ramifications were for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In practice, if you are eating late (8:15 and later) you probably wouldn't have a problem with table availability in an ATD room. Do you have any say in which one it is? On ships with 3 MDRs, one is designated traditional, another is designated ATD, and the 3rd has a single early seating for traditional and then converts to ATD at 7:30. You are assigned a dining room and time with traditional. I’m honestly not really sure about it - there were several on the Diamond Princess, and we didn’t really understand how it worked. There was one that we were’t allowed into, and I assume that’s the traditional dining room. But does that mean that we can’t try the specialty dining venues? Specialty venues are open to all (assuming you are willing to pay). The Royal and Regal Princess also have Alfredos, a free casual Italian venue open to all.

I would hate to think that we are being rude by missing a number of the days that we’re expected to be there. Is this also where breakfast is served? Breakfast is served in one MDR open to all. Check the back of the Patter for which MDR.

I have searched the forums for a recent question similar to this, and I hope that I haven’t simply asked the same question that has been asked over and over again, but it’s the one aspect of cruising that I really don’t understand. If it turns out we’re committing a faux pas by not turning up on several occasions, I’ll change it to Anytime Dining on the booking. However, I also think there will be many days, particularly at the start of the journey, when we’d really appreciate the set dining time. If we say we’ll be there at 5:30pm, and don’t arrive until 6pm, is that the height of rudeness? Again, it will impact the servers' orchestrated routine as they are serving multiple tables and will most definitely impact your tablemates if you are sharing a table because the servers wait until everyone is seated. Don't forget that with first service the dining room needs to turn over for the second seating. We were on a cruise last winter with late traditional and the head waiter actually closed the dining room doors after half an hour (we've never done early traditional so I don't know if that happens).

My responses are based on numerous Princess cruises; some with traditional dining and some with anytime dining. You don't say how many people are cruising with you. I can tell you from experience that we had a group of 6 with anytime dining and never waited for a table (even between 6 and 6:30pm) on our last two cruises on the Royal Princess. Two tops, on the other hand, might require a wait, especially at popular times.

Edited by capriccio

If you are in traditional seating, and you KNOW you won't be there the next day, it's nice to tell your waiter and/or tablemates. It's not required. And if you don't decide until the last minute, there is no need to attempt to inform anyone.

Breakfast (and lunch on sea days) is served in the dining room...open seating for those meals.

You are under no obligation to be "faithful" to anything (except your spouse!)

You should not request traditional dining unless you expect to show up on time, most evenings. Of course, you have the option of the occasional alternative.

And it is not just "nice" to let table mates and waiters know when you expect to not show up - they will wait for you for at least 15 minutes - so it is minimal common courtesy; and deciding at the last minute is possible, (so you haven't the time to let anyone know) is also pretty cheesy.

Fixed dining means that a specific table and dining time is reserved only for you and for the entire cruise. When somebody doesn't show for whatever reason that place goes empty. It's also why Anytime diners cannot just walk into the fixed dining restaurant - those places are reserved for those who have signed up for fixed dining.

Because there are fixed seating times there will be a cutoff time for taking dinner orders. (On the line that I sail the last dinner orders are taken 30 minutes after the announced dining time.) So if you sign up for 6PM and show up at 7PM you won't be admitted. Those places have to be cleaned up and reset in time for the second sitting.

Some people (especially solos) enjoy fixed dining as it provides a nucleus of camaraderie each evening. You know that the table is waiting for you without having to make a request every evening. The waiters also learn your preferences. This is especially helpful for people on special diets as they know your needs and one doesn't have to explain it over and over.

If however you find this too restrictive - that you only want to go if and when the mood suits you - then fixed dining isn't for you.

Just to clarify another point: Say there are 4 people in your family and you are assigned to a table that sits 8. (Dining room and table number will be listed on your cruise card). There will be 4 other people also assigned to that table and you will be eating dinner with them every night (assuming everyone shows up). Usually everyone gets along just fine and you will have some great conversations. If you happen to get stuck with really nasty people (rare but it can happen), you can quietly ask the head waiter to be assigned to a different table.

I'm glad you and your family had a great cruise! My answers are below:

My family and I went on an awesome cruise with Princess recently, and did the Anytime Dining. We didn’t really understand Traditional Dining, so didn’t do it. We’re booked on another cruise next year, and I thought we’d try for the traditional dining, for an early sitting. However, looking at our itinerary, there are a number of days late in the cruise when we’d probably end up coming back later than the intended dining time. We signed up for 6:00 traditional dining on our Princess Cruise last October. It was our first time with Princess and with traditional dining, but not our first cruise. 6:00 actually meant 5:30, and if we knew that we would have chosen late seating and had an afternoon tea or other light snack in the afternoon to get us by until late seating. We felt rushed to make it too many evenings.

What is the situation if you expect to be a no-show? As soon as you know you will likely not make it, let your server know. We had the Wine Maker's table one night (highly recommend) and told our server and table mates the night before we would not be there. The last night my husband was too ill to eat, but wanted me to go so I let them know when I arrived that he would not be joining us. If we both weren't going I would have called the dine line by 5:00 to let them know we wouldn't be there and to not wait for us. By asking for traditional dining, are you committing to “being faithful” to that dining room? Do you have any say in which one it is? I’m honestly not really sure about it - there were several on the Diamond Princess, and we didn’t really understand how it worked. There was one that we were’t allowed into, and I assume that’s the traditional dining room. But does that mean that we can’t try the specialty dining venues? You are welcome to book a specialty venue, or go to the buffet (or even room service) instead of your traditional table assignment. Please let your server (and possibly table mates) know ahead of time so they aren't waiting for you. You cannot go to any other main dining room seating, either anytime or the late seating.

I would hate to think that we are being rude by missing a number of the days that we’re expected to be there. Is this also where breakfast is served? Breakfast is served anytime style in the MDR and also serve yourself in the buffet. If your ship has Sabatini's that is only for suite passengers, and if your ship has an International Cafe you can get a small breakfast there.

I have searched the forums for a recent question similar to this, and I hope that I haven’t simply asked the same question that has been asked over and over again, but it’s the one aspect of cruising that I really don’t understand. If it turns out we’re committing a faux pas by not turning up on several occasions, I’ll change it to Anytime Dining on the booking. However, I also think there will be many days, particularly at the start of the journey, when we’d really appreciate the set dining time. If we say we’ll be there at 5:30pm, and don’t arrive until 6pm, is that the height of rudeness? If your dining time is 5:30, that is when you should arrive, maybe up to 5 minutes late but not much more. You probably will not be allowed in the dining room at 6.

You didn't mention your requested table size. If you requested a table for 2, it doesn't matter as much, but you should still let your server know if you don't plan to show. Most of the courtesy/etiquette applies to a shared table. If you know you will eat less than half of your meals in MDR then it would be considerate to choose anytime. If you want the experience of traditional dining, then I recommend late seating.

Thank you for making the effort to consider your fellow cruisers.

We typically enjoy our tablemates but had a different experience on our 22 day TP to Australia. On the first night at our 10 top, four people were no-shows, two French Canadians "struggled" with English and didn't talk much, and the other couple was strange. He was very quiet and didn't talk and she never smiled and was quite sour. I told my DH that I wasn't going to put up with this for 21 more days, so we went to the matre de and he was very sympathetic and moved us. Our new group was perhaps the nicest we ever had and the people came almost every night because they enjoyed each others' company. Lesson learned: if it doesn't work out, get it changed.

We had late dining on our one and only Carnival cruise and the other couple NEVER showed up. We moved ourselves to another table at the invite of the people after a few days of solitary dining.

Keep in mind that if you don't show up for your assigned dining times, in most cases you cannot utilize Anytime Dining - i.e. miss your 5:15 MDR seating and show up at the other dining room for Anytime

We normally choose the MTD, simply because I never know, from one day to the next, WHAT 'type' of dining my room mates are 'in the mood' for:rolleyes: I travel w/2 headstrong women, one is my wife, the other is my younger sister. She has cruised with us now for the past 5-6 cruises, ever since her husband passed and she doesn't want to cruise solo, so we invited her too join us. Don't misunderstand we both LOVE, absolutely love having her with us, she is always the cheerful little bird on a dark day. But, I blather, forgive me. I, for one do NOT care, WHERE we eat. But those TWO women?? Goodness !!. ONE wants buffet, most nights. the OTHER wants MDR at least half the cruise :rolleyes:. The ONLY thing I know they will agree on as far as dinning's concerned is, at least ONCE, maybe twice, we do the steakhouse and maybe the Italian restaurant on the cruise. The other nights ?? They both look at me, as the 'deal-breaker', as if to ask, 'WHERE do you want to go ??'. I, simply shrug my shoulders, simply because, as I said above, and tell them, 'I don't care, ALLof the choices are fine with me, I'll go wherever !' Of course, this gets me hateful glares, and starts the debate, all over again. My silence is resentfully noted. SO, I shower, shave, dress, and wait for the decision. Luckily, w/the MTD we not are locked into a certain time, so we usually do that OR the buffet. Women !!

Mac

To continue my question, what is Anytime Dining?

So, on the cruise we finished, which was on the Diamond Princess, we ate at the Horizon Court buffet, and booked tables at Sterling Steakhouse and Sabatini's a couple of times.

We didn't truly understand the Savoy, Vivaldi, Santa Fe and Pacific Moon dining rooms. We weren't sure if you were meant to book to eat there or not. We were lucky enough to have Club Class dining so did go to Santa Fe twice, after showing our cards. Usually though, what is the actual system of eating at these? Do you pick one that you go to? They appeared to have pretty much identical menus, so we were really unclear on how it was meant to work.

I thought Anytime Dining was that you go to Horizon food court or book a specialty venue.

On our upcoming cruise next year, looking at the itinerary I see 3 nights out of 12 that we'd be likely to not get back in time for a 5:30pm sitting. We would expect to eat elsewhere at least these three nights, so that might be the nights that we choose to eat somewhere else.

Obviously, if we're on a cruise tour that is held up, we might also be a little late. I have requested a table of 4, as my party is 4, and I'd certainly rather not hold a table up if I can help it. I'd be more than happy to let our servers know the night before, when we know we'll be unable to make it. But is it appropriate to book Traditional Dining if you expect to only use it 8 or 9 nights out of the 12? And for breakfast, is it a set time, or just a period of time you can turn up - or is this not available at the dining room? Actually, are you obligated to go to breakfast there? Are you expected?

Like I said, I don't really understand the other four dining rooms either, not sure where they fit into the scheme of things.

To continue my question, what is Anytime Dining? The official Princess definition (from their website): "Just like a restaurant at home, Anytime Dining enables guests the freedom to dine when and with whom they wish, at any time between 5:30 PM and 10 PM. Reservations are available through an onboard dining hotline, but not required, and diners may choose to eat only with their own group, or be seated with other guests. The choice is yours."

The alternative is Traditional Dining (also from the Princess website): "Traditional Dining option allows you to dine at the same time each day and enjoy the same tablemates and waitstaff throughout your voyage. Choose from either early or late seating."

So, on the cruise we finished, which was on the Diamond Princess, we ate at the Horizon Court buffet, and booked tables at Sterling Steakhouse and Sabatini's a couple of times.

We didn't truly understand the Savoy, Vivaldi, Santa Fe and Pacific Moon dining rooms. We weren't sure if you were meant to book to eat there or not. Always check the back page of the Patter. It will list all dining rooms and if they are traditional or anytime for dinner. As I said in an earlier response, many times one MDR will start out as traditional for a single service and then switch at 7:30 to anytime. We were lucky enough to have Club Class dining so did go to Santa Fe twice, after showing our cards. Usually though, what is the actual system of eating at these? Do you pick one that you go to? If you have traditional dining or club class dining (and as I understand it you can show up for club class at any time so no need to reserve traditional dining; someone with club class experience will correct me if I'm wrong :)) you are assigned a dining room. If you have anytime dining you go to whichever dining room(s) has/have anytime dining. They appeared to have pretty much identical menus, so we were really unclear on how it was meant to work.

I thought Anytime Dining was that you go to Horizon food court or book a specialty venue. Anytime dining is pick your own time to dine. Horizon Court and the specialty restaurants are available to all (the latter with a surcharge).

On our upcoming cruise next year, looking at the itinerary I see 3 nights out of 12 that we'd be likely to not get back in time for a 5:30pm sitting. We would expect to eat elsewhere at least these three nights, so that might be the nights that we choose to eat somewhere else.

Obviously, if we're on a cruise tour that is held up, we might also be a little late. I have requested a table of 4, as my party is 4, and I'd certainly rather not hold a table up if I can help it. I'd be more than happy to let our servers know the night before, when we know we'll be unable to make it. But is it appropriate to book Traditional Dining if you expect to only use it 8 or 9 nights out of the 12? And for breakfast, is it a set time, or just a period of time you can turn up one dining room will be designated for breakfast (usually from 7 am or so to 9 am) for all; again, check the Patter- or is this not available at the dining room? Actually, are you obligated to go to breakfast there? Are you expected? No obligation, no expectation. Alternatives include the buffet, room service and the International Cafe.

Like I said, I don't really understand the other four dining rooms either as I understand it when the Sapphire Princess was launched the 4 dining rooms offered different menus. The only time we sailed on it (2012) -if I remember correctly - all 4 had the same menu but possibly a different special dish was available in each dining room, not sure where they fit into the scheme of things.

See above.

Have you read Cruise critic's description of Dining on Sapphire Princess?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=300&pgtype=dining

I find this useful to see how many free restaurants there are, whether it offers Anytime Dining (not all cruise lines do) and what specialty restaurants there area. Cruise Critic provides these reviews for every shop, so if your next cruise is not Sapphire, read the correct one for your ship.

I find it strange that ship tours arrive back same time as first seating, and I wonder if you have the 5:30 time correct? On this review, it states 6 pm and 8:30 as the traditional dining seating. It also ststes which dini g room this has been allocated to. Of course, check back page of daily sheet for confirmation.

If seated as a table for 4, then there is no need to worry about impact on fellow table mates. If you know you will be lste, then let your server know. Again, if it is just your party at a table, at least plate timings will all be the same. If wuite late, you could consider skipping the first course so you can all 'catch up', or say it can be served with the second...for timkng purposes.

You are very considerate to worry sbout missing meals, but others are less so. So your servers are used to 'no shows' and I am sure there are others that miss more than 4 on a 12 night cruise. Continue your consideration of wanting to let them know if you will not attend a meal.

Oh, breakfast and lunch have no requirements of timing or seating. Your daily will tell you which restaurants are open and you can decide to attend or not. You can be 1, 2, 4 or none in attendance. Requesting Traditional only applies for dinner.

As to 'Anytime' it is not relating to the buffet, but specific restaurants. Again, the review I linked to and your daily paper is your reference point.

When I dined Anytime on Princess, we determined our meal time privately, turned up at that time and either was seated, or provided a buzzer pad to let us know when our table was ready. As we tended to eat earlier, we rarely waited more than 10 minutes. Dining room was elegant with full linen service. Do keep in mind that it also has the dress code of traditional dining, whereas buffet has minimal dress code.

I hope you can sort it out before your next cruise. It sounds like uou missed out on lovely dining opportunities because of not knowing.

We used to love the late Traditional Dining option and did it until into the 80s. But DW and I prefer to be seated at a large table 6-10 because we view dinner time as a socialization experience. Nearly all of our long term friends we have made on cruises started by sharing a table. But alas, in the 80s as the Open Sitting Concept took hold, traditional dining began to suck. You might have a table of 8, and many nights only 4 would show up ...or perhaps 2....and even sometimes you might be along. Why? Because table mates were taking advantage of other dining options such as alternative restaurants, the lido, etc. On one RCI Cruise (Adventure of the Seas) we were at a table of 8...and 4 of the diners never showed-up for dinner. The Maitre'd told us, they are aboard so we must keep those seats waiting...even though the two couples were dining in the lido every evening.

So now, we only do Open Sitting dining and we love it. We eat when we please, and simply ask to share a large table. Our tables are always full and we meet lots of nice folks. On many of our longer cruises (we are often on ships for weeks or even months) we will usually make some new friends during the first few days...and then we might decide to meet them for dinner on some nights and simply form our own table If we happen to stumble on a great wait team....we might ask to be seated in their area (when its possible). If we are in a port late, we might choose to dine at 9pm. If we feel like eating at 7, no problem.

To us, it is the best of all worlds. For those who want some type of consistency they can generally make a daily reservation and even request the same waiter and table. One great advantage is that if we meet a group of interesting passengers during our pre-dinner cocktails, we can continue to chat at a bar until we feel like its time to eat. or...if they are also Open Sitting we just go to dinner together and continue the conversation. It is all so civilized. :)

Hank

To continue my question, what is Anytime Dining?

We didn't truly understand the Savoy, Vivaldi, Santa Fe and Pacific Moon dining rooms. We weren't sure if you were meant to book to eat there or not. We were lucky enough to have Club Class dining so did go to Santa Fe twice, after showing our cards. Usually though, what is the actual system of eating at these? Do you pick one that you go to? They appeared to have pretty much identical menus, so we were really unclear on how it was meant to work.

I thought Anytime Dining was that you go to Horizon food court or book a specialty venue.

Obviously, if we're on a cruise tour that is held up, we might also be a little late. I have requested a table of 4, as my party is 4, and I'd certainly rather not hold a table up if I can help it. I'd be more than happy to let our servers know the night before, when we know we'll be unable to make it. But is it appropriate to book Traditional Dining if you expect to only use it 8 or 9 nights out of the 12? And for breakfast, is it a set time, or just a period of time you can turn up - or is this not available at the dining room? Actually, are you obligated to go to breakfast there? Are you expected?

Like I said, I don't really understand the other four dining rooms either, not sure where they fit into the scheme of things.

Anytime Dining is Main Dining Room (MDR) evening meal service, as an alternative to Traditional Dining. Many ships have multiple MDR's: one for early seating, one for late seating, and one for anytime dining or a combination of seatings. Your sign and sail card should have your dining room (and time if traditional dining selected) listed. This is the only MDR you should go to for your dinner.

If you do not want the MDR that evening you can go to the buffet or a specialty restaurant. If you have traditional dining, you should let your server know if you will not be at the dinner service - this is not necessary for anytime dining.

MDR's are also used througout the day for other meals and activities. There is usually breakfast service in at least one room, hours and location will be listed in the patter. The same applies for lunch if you want a table service for lunch vs. the buffet. Sometimes sales will be held in one of the dining rooms too, again check your Patter.

All MDR's will have the same menu offerings, except the club class/suite only restaurant might have some additional offerings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your information - perhaps because we were upgraded to a Club Class dining option on our last cruise, we were only meant to go to Santa Fe? That's what it said on our cards, and I didn't really understand how it worked, so we rarely used it. My children will be with us, and I'm looking for some kind of consistency, so I don't have to stand too long in a line with them whinging and moaning about standing up and waiting to be seated. So that's why I'm wondering if we should opt for traditional dining. However, knowing that at least three nights out of the 12 we'd not get there for the traditional dining time, I wondered if it was really a good idea. Then again, we do like to have the flexibility to try other things. It definitely provides the option for 5:30pm, and I think this would be a great time for us, MOST of the time on the journey.