Answer to my questions

Bernardo62

A lot of times people search the FAQs and if they don't have the correct wording, it will come up "0" Found or the specific thing they were looking for in that category wasn't addressed.

I've learned a long time ago that it's real easy to just pass over a posting if I know it's already been answered. And I still haven't figured out why a question will be answered and twenty more people will respond with the same answer.

A lot of times people search the FAQs and if they don't have the correct wording, it will come up "0" Found or the specific thing they were looking for in that category wasn't addressed.

I've learned a long time ago that it's real easy to just pass over a posting if I know it's already been answered. And I still haven't figured out why a question will be answered and twenty more people will respond with the same answer.

Yea.... 20 people with the SAME ANSWER

I agree!!!

Nope, don't look at FAQ's. Mostly because like the person said above if it isn't worded right you don't get an answer. Also I usually don't search. Why? Because most of the answers are from as far back as like 2007or heaven knows when. As much as things change on a cruise ship/ line the answer has probably changed and I'm not going to search 500 posts to find a new one. That being said, I am always clear as to what my question is in the title. That way, people who get irritated about people asking questions can just move right on because my title says clearly what my post is about. Now if it irritates you that the question has been asked before, move right on. I for one don't read posts about the drink package or tipping. I also look at it this way. I remember how it was when I booked my first cruise, (or my 6th) I was soooo excited and I was really excited that I found CC. A whole group of people who loved the same thing I do. People I could talk to about cruising and their eyes wouldn't glaze over. I know I asked a hundred questions. Most if not all had already been asked a hundred times, or were in the faqs. Thankfully there were people on here who didn't dampen my spirits with rude posts and just answered my questions. My goodness if you never asked anything thing more then once there would be nothing on this board.

The questions here are nothing compared to the ones I see on FB. I think people just want to be social instead of researching themselves.

I think you hit the nail on the head, most people like being social and its exciting and fun to discuss your upcoming cruise or help others with theirs.

Nope, don't look at FAQ's. Mostly because like the person said above if it isn't worded right you don't get an answer. Also I usually don't search. Why? Because most of the answers are from as far back as like 2007or heaven knows when. As much as things change on a cruise ship/ line the answer has probably changed and I'm not going to search 500 posts to find a new one. That being said, I am always clear as to what my question is in the title. That way, people who get irritated about people asking questions can just move right on because my title says clearly what my post is about. Now if it irritates you that the question has been asked before, move right on. I for one don't read posts about the drink package or tipping. I also look at it this way. I remember how it was when I booked my first cruise, (or my 6th) I was soooo excited and I was really excited that I found CC. A whole group of people who loved the same thing I do. People I could talk to about cruising and their eyes wouldn't glaze over. I know I asked a hundred questions. Most if not all had already been asked a hundred times, or were in the faqs. Thankfully there were people on here who didn't dampen my spirits with rude posts and just answered my questions. My goodness if you never asked anything thing more then once there would be nothing on this board.

Thank you, perfect answer!

These boards would not exist if people only used Google and the Cruise Line's FAQ's to find out information. Also, much of the information that people search for can be outdated.

People will also read the original post and answer it. They don't, and really shouldn't, have to wade through the entire thread.

Cruise Critic loves questions and answers. The more hits the more money they make.

I do have to say that I am so often amazed at the people with 20,000 posts that give completely inaccurate information or answer something just to answer it. That is irritating. Remember: Just because someone has a lot of posts doesn't mean they know their aft from a hole in the water. :)

Take care,

Mike

I think the answers here on the boards from real people are often more detailed and include the x factor = how people actually experience these things. FAQ is very "just the facts." I start with the cruise line's posted info and then come here for the follow up questions and there are plenty of nice people who will provide more specific details to meet anyone's particular, picky knowledge needs.

I'm personally glad to see that because then I can have some confidence in the answer being correct. CC posters aren't wrong quite as often as a cruise line phone rep but they can be wrong from time to time. When I am researching a new issue I try to use multiple sources (if the question is that important) and CC is only one of them. Usually we know a question is coming from the subject line and it's easy enough not to click on those threads.;)

I'm sailing with Carnival again in a few weeks after not sailing with them for 7 years and have been searching the FAQs on Carnival's website, but have often gotten the Bad Request / 400 error when I click an FAQ's link. Not a good representation of their brand and, of course, not helpful. So, I'll come here to research, and can usually find the answer to my question because someone else has asked it. If I see the same response - even if it is said in multiple different ways - I assume it's the right answer. If there are mixed responses, I hope for the best when I get on the ship!

I do agree that some people like to be social, but I also think people are in a hurry and would rather just ask their question and get on with their day, rather than research. Or if they do search, they aren't using the right keywords and, therefore, aren't finding what they need.

Indeed, some people's Google-Fu (and Carnival FAQ Search-Fu etc) can be very off, and they cannot find the answer(s) for their question(s).

Others simply don't operate that way: my Mom will call me about some weird thing on her DVR remote, and I will then pull up Google, find her cable company and remote info, and find her the answer that is probably in the paper manual in the drawer of the table beside the sofa.

However, it is quite amusing to see yet another thread about whether Cheers! is worthwhile or not. Need to let the current threads go dormant a day or so, they'll get relegated to the third page of threads, and we should see some new ones pop up!

Indeed, some people's Google-Fu (and Carnival FAQ Search-Fu etc) can be very off, and they cannot find the answer(s) for their question(s).

Others simply don't operate that way: my Mom will call me about some weird thing on her DVR remote, and I will then pull up Google, find her cable company and remote info, and find her the answer that is probably in the paper manual in the drawer of the table beside the sofa.

However, it is quite amusing to see yet another thread about whether Cheers! is worthwhile or not. Need to let the current threads go dormant a day or so, they'll get relegated to the third page of threads, and we should see some new ones pop up!

And the flip side is the person that foregoes the 20 recent threads on a topic in order to resurrect a 10 year old thread.

I don’t have Facebook, so I pretty much google everything and include “cruise critic” with the search. Sometimes results are from like 2012 lol

But then if you post on it and bring an old thread to the top...people read from the beginning and waste their time reading a 6 year old thread. Some even start posting answers to questions that were asked 6 years ago because they didn’t look at the date.

You’d probably get more recent threads if you searched cruise critic instead of google.

I do agree that some people like to be social, but I also think people are in a hurry and would rather just ask their question and get on with their day, rather than research

Welcome to the world of instant gratification and laziness. Many answers are listed in the FAQ's or at least the same ones over and over we see daily have been answered many times over.

I mean how many times do questions about ES, smoking, FTTF and travel insurance need to be asked individually? It would not take much to find the answers on these subjects here if someone actually tried.

And more times than not, when asking about a certain subject, people always jump in with other pertinent information that I would not of even thought about asking! That is what I love about this board! You have to remember that some people just joined the boards and aren't even aware of how to search for things. Then they have to pay attention to the dates to make sure the info they are reading is up-to-date. Just because you are a pro at this stuff and a lot of topics are "old hat", to others they are reading for the very first time.

I do agree that some people like to be social, but I also think people are in a hurry and would rather just ask their question and get on with their day, rather than research

Welcome to the world of instant gratification and laziness. Many answers are listed in the FAQ's or at least the same ones over and over we see daily have been answered many times over.

I mean how many times do questions about ES, smoking, FTTF and travel insurance need to be asked individually? It would not take much to find the answers on these subjects here if someone actually tried.

It’s not at all laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums