Thoughts, Suggestions About Afternoon Savories?

Luvcrusn

First off, these are definitely not a deal breaker, but does anyone find these enticing? Also, why do they deliver 5 different things for 2 passengers to share? Why not an even number of snacks? Does anyone actually enjoy them? If they are supposed to make the passengers feel special or pampered, why the crazy choices? My thought is to first offer an even number of snacks, two of each, and make them something people would look forward to, or get rid of them all together. Am I alone in my thinking? Curious. (I know you can request something else and have done it.)

I think the idea of the afternoon treats is a nice one but the reality of it is far different. Most of the offerings are unappealing and often barely edible. Who wants to come back to your room and eat a limp looking shrimp that has been sitting there for who knows how long, or some pile of mushy stuff whose content is a mystery. They would be better off providing a bowl of nuts or snacks like they serve at the bars.

You mean like this plate delivered to our room with no utensils crackers, or bread? How are you supposed to eat mango salsa, minced nuts, and hummus with your fingers? This was last month on the Summit. 10fa512336977c32261bc2be681d4f5b.jpg

Gee! I can't imagine why you were puzzled by this assortment:confused::confused:;p

That blob of hummus just looks so depressing.....

It would have been so easy to swap that four square plate to something much tastier and easy to eat...leave the hummus, next square some crackers, next some celery and carrot sticks and finish with some tzatziki!

I must say, we have always told our butler to forget these snacks, perhaps we will ask for them next cruise for a little late afternoon amusement!

I've read plenty of posts where people have requested cheese and crackers instead of these snacks. I think that without calling for an end to the practice, simply investigate some alternatives.

Agree...it would be easy to put options on the TV menu and ask guests to request by a certain time for delivery late afternoon....

We have requested alternatives, no issue...usually part of our morning conversation with the butler.

I found the "afternoon savories" laughable and sometimes bordering on disgusting. I mean really, they are something that belongs in a Dilbert cartoon. Even disregarding what they serve, the portion sizes are ridiculous. I don't want a meal, but I could do with more than a nibble.

We also asked for a cheese plate on our last cruise, I found that to be much better than the silly savories.

The afternoon plate, ah!

First of all, what's with no forks or spoons, but 2 butter knives (which can't cut an apple) for the fruit? About day 3, we asked our steward for a fork, and we got 2 forks each day after that, which helped a lot.

We enjoyed most of the snacks, except the shrimp which were a little limp, but true confessions, we like fish and ceviche and as a matter of principle I do not eat any completely unidentifiable foodstuffs, so there were a couple of things that I just said no thanks to. The ceviche was quite good, as was the hummus and some of the little sandwiches.

Why you don't get 2 of everything in AquaClass is a mystery, but we managed fairly well.

We did the Chef's Table and had the special galley tour - all the fish and shrimp is frozen, for health code reasons, except for very small amounts used in Sushi on 5 (we asked the sushi chefs about that) - after we learned that, I became very unexcited about shrimp cocktail or any boiled shrimp in general - flash frozen shrimp is great in gumbo or over pasta in a sauce, or even with rice, but it gets limp too fast to use for shrimp cocktail, unless you eat it immediately after thawing. Yeah, I live on the Gulf Coast and I'm picky about my shrimp.

Don't mistake me, the flash frozen shrimp is perfectly safe to eat as shrimp cocktail, it just will never be quite as good as fresh boiled and iced.

Who do you ask? Can you get fresh fruit like melon, watermelon, pineapple?

Ask your cabin attendant. We first asked for cheese and crackers - the crackers ended up being saltines in the wrapper (like, for soup), which we've not seen before. We used to get a nice assortment of crackers. Then we requested fruit OR fresh veggies. Our attendant ended up bringing us 3 plates - cheese & crackers, sliced fruit and fresh cut veggies! It ended up being a bit much, but she was trying to 'go beyond' I'm sure! :D

This was on the Silhouette a few weeks ago.

You mean like this plate delivered to our room with no utensils crackers, or bread? How are you supposed to eat mango salsa, minced nuts, and hummus with your fingers? This was last month on the Summit. 10fa512336977c32261bc2be681d4f5b.jpg

OMG this looks familiar! We received the same on Summit last summer. No utensils, crackers or bread with which to eat it. And this was probably the most appealing plate of the lot! Especially noxious was the plate containing two limp bedraggled shrimp along with some mystery concoctions with a nasty scent. There is no way we’re ever eating room temperature fish or shellfish that’s been sitting there for 2 or 3 hours.

The sole time we had a suite, the Butler was quite amenable to bringing us a mixed cheese, cracker and fruit platter instead of the typical offerings. He brought us berries and grapes. We didn’t ask for pineapple because it doesn’t go well with cheeses and we enjoyed sufficient portions of it at breakfast.

Yes. Our offerings on our recent Silhouette cruise were pretty lackluster. Most days we didn’t even eat them. The cynical part of me thinks they are doing it on purpose so guests will stop asking for them to be delivered to the cabin. I feel like the quality and variety of the treats was better a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We first experienced them 10 years ago on Infinity and honestly I remember thinking back then that they were rather strange at best. My thought was if these are being offered as a special perk of certain cabin categories, why offer such mundane and meager snacks. Usually there were 5 things offered to two people (not 2 of each) which was also strange. We too also often ask for cheese and fruit or shrimp instead and specify the time for delivery. I just find the thought process behind these offerings to be rather puzzling. They are certainly not something that would entice us to book a cabin category especially since you can order something better from room service during the hours they are delivered for no additional cost.