Can you upgrade once on board

jaxw17

Hi, we are sailing on the Jewel out of Sydney for 18 nights. We booked an inside room through an agent. We don't usually do inside and as the cruise is getting nearer I am stressing about this inside cabin. I rang NCL and because we booked through an agent we have to deal with them for any changes they are not very good and we probably won't use them again.

Has anyone had any experience of upgrading once on board. Doing a dummy booking it looks as though the are sea view and balcony rooms available.

Thanks

It’s not absolutely impossible to upgrade on board, I suppose (we all know that they say on every sailing that the ship is full, but we all also know that that usually isn’t 100% true, but what is true is that they really really don’t want lots of people asking about changing cabins after boarding). It’s much easier to just do it now. It’s too bad you don’t like your TA, but you’re stuck with them for this cruise, and they can hopefully handle this for you without causing you too much pain and suffering.

We managed to do it once a long time ago on one of the early Epic sailings.

We had booked an inside cabin and as soon as we boarded we headed right to guest services.

When we asked if it was possible to upgrade to a balcony the NCL staff member (I remember her name - Kitkat) took our card and scanned it. She then wrote a cabin number on a slip of paper and gave us a key card to a balcony cabin.

We were told to have a look at the balcony cabin and if we would like it they would upgrade us for $200.

Not $200 each but $200 for the cabin.

We looked at the cabin and went right back down to customer service and they put the $200 charge to our onboard account.

What is really funny is the new balcony cabin was right across the hall from our originally booked inside.

I think when Kitkat scanned our original key card she looked for the closest balcony to our original cabin.

The location worked out perfectly as our luggage was delivered to the wall outside our original cabin.

We actually met our cabin steward when we were looking at the balcony cabin.

He came in and was surprised to see the door open as he thought it was going to be empty.

We have tried to upgrade a few other times that we had booked an inside cabin but never were able.

On every other sailing the service desk had a sign stating that the sailing was sold out and no upgrades were available.

Hi

I thought that there might have been a chance that they would rather make money on the cabins than leave them empty but I suppose everyone would be queuing up to do this.

NCL does not do onboard changes. It would not be worth their time to have 2000-4500 people in line trying to get a better room.

We don't usually do inside and as the cruise is getting nearer I am stressing about this inside cabin. I rang NCL and because we booked through an agent we have to deal with them for any changes they are not very good and we probably won't use them again.

Has anyone had any experience of upgrading once on board. Doing a dummy booking it looks as though the are sea view and balcony rooms available.

Thanks

I'd be stressing too on an inside cabin for a 18 Nt. cruise that long or even any length.

Your TA would be happy to take your money for an upgrade, if these rooms are available now your TA has the availability to make the change.

Spend the $$$.

Edited by ShakeDaddy

It looks as if you are well inside your final payment, you don't mention when you leave. If so there are big boulders in the way of getting a simple cabin change then. Also they will have had the upgrade auction going for a while now and if you haven't received the email you can't even bid for an upgrade.

Hi

In the UK we don't get the auction or upsells. The booking we have with the travel agent includes flights and hotels stays so it is complicated and we leave the UK on the 16th February.

Thanks for your thought and advice. when I spoke to the TA he quoted £3,000 to move to an outside that is £ not $ .

Will just have to suck it up for this one I think.

Hi

In the UK we don't get the auction or upsells. The booking we have with the travel agent includes flights and hotels stays so it is complicated and we leave the UK on the 16th February.

Thanks for your thought and advice. when I spoke to the TA he quoted £3,000 to move to an outside that is £ not $ .

Will just have to suck it up for this one I think.

If it were me, over being in an inside cabin for 18 Nights, I would spend the $$$.

Hi

I thought that there might have been a chance that they would rather make money on the cabins than leave them empty but I suppose everyone would be queuing up to do this.

The problem isn't that it won't be allowed. The issue is that cruise line's pricing algorithms are nothing like hotel algorithms. This is a true statement for hotels. But keep in mind with hotels, people are coming and going every day and the occupancy rate is constantly fluctuating and therefore, often not at 100%. When a cruise leaves port, it has everyone on that it will have for the remainder of the cruise. The money they would make allowing you to upgrade to an empty cabin is nothing in comparison to what they would make selling that cabin - even for next to nothing - to get more people onboard to spend money on excursions, dining, drinking, etc. Your problem isn't that an upgrade won't be allowed. It's that it won't be available. Their goal is to sail with every room full to max their profit and they are very good at doing this.

We have done many cruises in Inside and are really happy with them. Really we only use them to sleep/rest. The rest of the time we are out and about doing all the wonderful things that are available on board during sea days or we are on shorex on port days.

Hi, we are sailing on the Jewel out of Sydney for 18 nights. We booked an inside room through an agent. We don't usually do inside and as the cruise is getting nearer I am stressing about this inside cabin. I rang NCL and because we booked through an agent we have to deal with them for any changes they are not very good and we probably won't use them again.

Thanks

Hi Jax ,

We are in exactly the same situation as you are on the same Cruise , we have gone all through the same channels that you have including phoning NCL in America & the Uk with the same answers you received.

We probably have booked through the same Travel Agent as you , as we were told by them almost word for word the same that you were when we enquired with ours.

I am sure we will be fine & as someone else has posted we only really sleep in the cabin .

Ann & Richard from the midlands .

We always booked balconies or mini suites but then decided to try an inside. We had no problems with it. Found we got out of the room a lot more. I too was stressing out the first time in an inside but it worked out great and saved us a lot of money.

Hi Jax ,

We are in exactly the same situation as you are on the same Cruise , we have gone all through the same channels that you have including phoning NCL in America & the Uk with the same answers you received.

We probably have booked through the same Travel Agent as you , as we were told by them almost word for word the same that you were when we enquired with ours.

I am sure we will be fine & as someone else has posted we only really sleep in the cabin .

Ann & Richard from the midlands .

Yes you are right. The main thing is we are going on the cruise.

We usually go away about 5 to 6 times a year and we already have 3 other cruises booked this year so I could not justify the money they wanted.

Not overly impressed with the TA.

When do you fly out to Sydney and where are you staying we fly out of Manchester on the 16th and we are staying at the Cambridge hotel.

Yes Jax , we too love our cruises & also felt no need to pay so much more & would rather spend it on another cruise . Would prefer a window or even porthole would do but doesn't look like it will happen . We sailed last November on an Emirates Cruise in a balcony cabin . Only stepped outside on to it twice as we had so much to see & do .

See you are going on the Discovery , we went on the same boat in November 2016 , fabulous boat , you will love it , going by your dates it's the same as we did in the Caribbean.

We fly from Heathrow on the 16th and we are staying 2 nights at th Novotel on Darling Harbour .

Hope we meet up on the Cruise as I am sure we will have lots to talk about .

Won't be long now . Ann .