How much for extra tips?

Math teacher

Do any of you give extra tips? And if so, how much?

Specifically:

Room steward on a 7 day cruise. (they work their tails off and are always so pleasant! I feel they deserve more).

Specialty dining. Yes, I know there is an up-charge fee, but I always feel like we should be tipping extra. In the past we have added 20%, like in a non-cruise setting-but I am wondering if there is a "standard."

Bartender(s) (like when you have a regular who knows what beer your hubby wants and has it ready by the time he reaches the bar!)

I know tipping is subjective and even that some feel that extra tipping is not required...so this question is geared towards those of you who already DO this and what is your opinion on what a good "extra tip" should be for each group listed above .....and if there is anyone I am some how missing that I should be tipping extra to. (BTW, in the past, we haven't really utilized the MDR and so I am not listing them above BUT, we did book Aqua and hope to utilize Blu and perhaps should add that to our list of groups to tip on this trip.

Thanks in advance.

Do any of you give extra tips? And if so, how much?

Having read many similar threads I doubt the answers to your post will be all that helpful since the range of tips people "say" they give is very large: from $10 to $200 extra to a waiter or steward on a 7 day cruise. In the end, it will be what you feel comfortable giving for the quality of service you receive.

Specifically:

Room steward on a 7 day cruise. (they work their tails off and are always so pleasant! I feel they deserve more).

Specialty dining. Yes, I know there is an up-charge fee, but I always feel like we should be tipping extra. In the past we have added 20%, like in a non-cruise setting-but I am wondering if there is a "standard."

Bartender(s) (like when you have a regular who knows what beer your hubby wants and has it ready by the time he reaches the bar!)

I know tipping is subjective and even that some feel that extra tipping is not required...so this question is geared towards those of you who already DO this and what is your opinion on what a good "extra tip" should be for each group listed above .....and if there is anyone I am some how missing that I should be tipping extra to. (BTW, in the past, we haven't really utilized the MDR and so I am not listing them above BUT, we did book Aqua and hope to utilize Blu and perhaps should add that to our list of groups to tip on this trip.

Thanks in advance.

As you have said it is all subjective - only you can be the judge of who and what you wish to tip.

Case in point, on an Asian B2B on the Millennium, my wife occasionally had a very brief conversation with a hard-working, always-smiling young woman whose job was to clean the glass portion of the railing separating the Cafe al Bacio area from the atrium. My wife finally decided to give her a small tip as a token of her appreciation for hard work and pleasant attitude. She was very surprised and extremely grateful and from then on gave a wave every time she saw my wife - even one time while in port!

Let your heart be your guide!

I usually tip $1/drink as I get them. Usual bartender gets to know you and you essentially become theirs when you go. They always have your drink and will keep an eye on you while there. Works the same for the pool attendants. They will keep coming back to you to make sure you’re ok. Room steward I usually give an extra $30 which may be on the low side for some but I usually sail solo so not much work for them to do. Specialty restaurants I give an extra $5/person since they are already getting a gratuity. Others may be more or less. I always tip in cash so they don’t necessarily have to share it. Some do some don’t. At the bars you can see them pocket it or put on the group pool jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I tip I do tip extra. In one of the Specialty Restaurant the waiter we had was so friendly and nice, h allowed us to dine(over 3 hours) with champagne and with my beautiful wife, I just had such a good night. He would not take it when i tried to give him extra, but then I told him I would give him a palm reading. yes, he was to come into some money that night. I slept into his palm and closed his hand. we all laugh and enjoyed every moment.

When you do extra tipping like the room/ stewards / Bar tenders they are so thrilled and will give you better service always. They learn your name, you get better perks. For example, on our first cruise we ever took, we were with my in-laws. We went down to the Bar to have a drink but there were hardly any room. I saw that i might move some chairs and a table to sit all of us, when all of a sudden one of the Bar waiters (names Louie) comes over to help. He did a great job, and I thanked him and slipped him a $10 bill. He immediately took our drink order, smiles at the ladies and did some small talked. He came back over and over to make sure we were doing great. That is when we learned his name (same as my father in Law.) From that evening on we would walk into the Bar no matter how busy it was and he would have a table for us. Fantastic service, and just $10 more.

Room service: I gave a tip to a room attendant on our first day arriving on the ship, told him to keep my Ice full for I want only Ice water and Ice only in my drinks. At the same time I pointed at my wife and told him that anything she wanted ...take car of her I will take care of you. Well we did not have a suite for we were young and getting higher in the room choices. My wife asked if we could get a couple of softer pillows with the Egyptian covers. I am so sorry that those are for the suites only. I left him a $20 bill the next day, for taking care basically my ice and doing a great job turning down beds, etc. That next night the pillows and special blankets were there waiting for us with a thank you card, for being special cruisers. WOW!

So extra tips do help, IMHO.

BDZTaczUk-tDmjthJGlvi1FSaRvWTGJpCh5w9zoP5LoL7vP672YLp9zuDvQYtKD1kRMnsTXbuZU_c1LWW3qaSnZesZkn3MYsRI8I-FLj3TFbnqhp_GsFtIyl0mLMizhx2v0rF3nAL0LtqTjQdbm_NPC3w_ArYqee8CjUJXb7bmNHHFSHJdPrAUSa-R1h--RH9-HhwNb9d7LuApQOpwTJkqSdOOF3qxhMwNEleN8ZQfRKDl9NV4Op6RLKseI53MgMAwHN8Bj_cCcMUhSVSeKUm6PdEDDOOIJXbp-2rBXzoPAnUfXhwjH9X6v8qPXlO78hU4-6dGRdyUFVunxpnSxFqWXJggE5rIj1d_-mLfjAFRZsT5oaH4AgOCD5sM-xhAMZ30pOTSYKT9zZRhYC7bU7rW3kRvi4W5NzvdE0iSnINwZTMjNiI6TaSZ3exgX_HQ26ksl4CLceW9pPvyAQNyAb863b-WjSJgmLaBNtgNJpcqY9H9loU01kSAOwc8IY_qLHqSCBZNR92Tjrpl97OFbQjSfnUebVsXNWWxTq-Qwk0AWv8hoeS6uw5GB627exXNTKcreFgkzKpUAmjwLHp3jK8R9BGqx-bIUg0pZv6o4=w480-h640-no

Having read hundreds of tipping threads, I can tell you that the only "standard" is the recommendation that you tip what you believe is appropriate. There is no requirement to tip anything extra, though many (most?) of us do, but we all have a different viewpoint on what constitutes acceptable/very good/exceptional service and the appropriate dollar value. Bear in mind too that some passengers are more affluent than others and can simply afford to pay more.

The men's and Ladies' rooms on the Eclipse, outside the dining room are always staffed with someone constantly cleaning it after dinner. My husband and I have both tipped the attendant for doing a great job in what has to be a lousy location. I can tell you the attendant is always surprised and very appreciative.

When I tip I do tip extra. In one of the Specialty Restaurant the waiter we had was so friendly and nice, h allowed us to dine(over 3 hours) with champagne and with my beautiful wife, I just had such a good night. He would not take it when i tried to give him extra, but then I told him I would give him a palm reading. yes, he was to come into some money that night. I slept into his palm and closed his hand. we all laugh and enjoyed every moment.

When you do extra tipping like the room/ stewards / Bar tenders they are so thrilled and will give you better service always. They learn your name, you get better perks. For example, on our first cruise we ever took, we were with my in-laws. We went down to the Bar to have a drink but there were hardly any room. I saw that i might move some chairs and a table to sit all of us, when all of a sudden one of the Bar waiters (names Louie) comes over to help. He did a great job, and I thanked him and slipped him a $10 bill. He immediately took our drink order, smiles at the ladies and did some small talked. He came back over and over to make sure we were doing great. That is when we learned his name (same as my father in Law.) From that evening on we would walk into the Bar no matter how busy it was and he would have a table for us. Fantastic service, and just $10 more.

Room service: I gave a tip to a room attendant on our first day arriving on the ship, told him to keep my Ice full for I want only Ice water and Ice only in my drinks. At the same time I pointed at my wife and told him that anything she wanted ...take car of her I will take care of you. Well we did not have a suite for we were young and getting higher in the room choices. My wife asked if we could get a couple of softer pillows with the Egyptian covers. I am so sorry that those are for the suites only. I left him a $20 bill the next day, for taking care basically my ice and doing a great job turning down beds, etc. That next night the pillows and special blankets were there waiting for us with a thank you card, for being special cruisers. WOW!

So extra tips do help, IMHO.

BDZTaczUk-tDmjthJGlvi1FSaRvWTGJpCh5w9zoP5LoL7vP672YLp9zuDvQYtKD1kRMnsTXbuZU_c1LWW3qaSnZesZkn3MYsRI8I-FLj3TFbnqhp_GsFtIyl0mLMizhx2v0rF3nAL0LtqTjQdbm_NPC3w_ArYqee8CjUJXb7bmNHHFSHJdPrAUSa-R1h--RH9-HhwNb9d7LuApQOpwTJkqSdOOF3qxhMwNEleN8ZQfRKDl9NV4Op6RLKseI53MgMAwHN8Bj_cCcMUhSVSeKUm6PdEDDOOIJXbp-2rBXzoPAnUfXhwjH9X6v8qPXlO78hU4-6dGRdyUFVunxpnSxFqWXJggE5rIj1d_-mLfjAFRZsT5oaH4AgOCD5sM-xhAMZ30pOTSYKT9zZRhYC7bU7rW3kRvi4W5NzvdE0iSnINwZTMjNiI6TaSZ3exgX_HQ26ksl4CLceW9pPvyAQNyAb863b-WjSJgmLaBNtgNJpcqY9H9loU01kSAOwc8IY_qLHqSCBZNR92Tjrpl97OFbQjSfnUebVsXNWWxTq-Qwk0AWv8hoeS6uw5GB627exXNTKcreFgkzKpUAmjwLHp3jK8R9BGqx-bIUg0pZv6o4=w480-h640-no

Sorry but I don’t get it. Money buys you everything, even sympathy and friendship?

Sorry but I don’t get it. Money buys you everything, even sympathy and friendship?

Maybe not everything, but anybody who’s ever worked for tips (including myself) will say yes. You always remember those customers who were extra generous and friendly, and although you aren’t going to become best friends, you’re always glad to see them and do go out of your way to please them.

We sail in regular balcony cabins. In addition to the auto-gratuities, we tip our steward about $5/day, at the end of the cruise, if he/she has done a very good job. We don't use room service, usually, but on the few occasions between $3 to $6, depending on what we requested.

We eat in select dining. If we have the same waiter every night, and he is excellent, we tip him about $5/day. If we have the same assistant waiter and bar server every night - $20 each at the end of the cruise. All dining tips are given at the end of the cruise.

On the last evening of our last cruise, the same restroom attendant that I had seen every day and every night at various restrooms was working in the lady's room at the MDR entrance. She was always so pleasant and fastidious. I handed her the $10 I had in my purse and thanked her. She was surprised and very, very happy to get a tip.

I also write down the names of those crew members before we leave so I can include them in the post cruise survey.

Edited by Marelaine

Last seven night, we gave extra 20 to room steward, 30 to dining waiter, and 25 to martini bartenders. We ordered room service one and gave them maybe 3, but weren’t pleased with the food so we ordered that one time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the service has been good I usually leave $10 a day in Luminae, they do pool their tips so I just give it to the waiter who has looked after us the most. the whole experience there means that iof you use it for breakfast and lunch you will probably have a range of waiters serving you and just giving it to one saves me the hustle. Always did the same in Blu if no issues.

There is no right or wrong in what you do it is all about what you feel appropriate bearing in mind both your own finances and the quality of the service you receive whether in the cabin or elsewhere on the ship. There will be people who leave nothing and people who leave double or treble what we do but that is their choice. As long as you are happy at the end of the cruise.

People worry about tipping levels but remember you have already paid your gratuities and every drink or drink package has 18% added on so even if you do nothing you have given around $100 per person per week, more if in a suite.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

I think the fact that you are asking this question shows that whatever number you come up with will likely be a very fair and generous number. On our last cruise, it was our first time in a royal suite and I literally spent an hour scrolling through Cruise Critic trying to figure out what is appropriate for our butler and room steward. While we've stayed in suites before this was our first royal and first time using the butler for some "extra" items. I was freaking out!

Here is what we typically do. This is just us. You may be more or less and that is fine.

Porters when we arrive at the port: $2 per bag. We typically have 2 big bags and 1 or 2 small ones so $6 to $8.

Room Steward in a regular room (non suite) I use $5/day as a minimum base. Typically for a 7day cruise we will leave $40 to $50.

Room Service $3 per delivery depending on the amount of food and time of day.

Specialty Restaurants Since there is 2 of us, $10 each night in cash (so $5 per person). I've spoken to the staff and if it is on the bill it is simply pooled. I know they might be told to pool the cash, not sure, but I prefer to leave it in cash as I figure it has a great chance of hitting the server we had.

Regular Dining Basically use the same rule of thumb as above, $10 per night and usually given at the end of the cruise. So roughly $70 for a 7 night cruise. In Luminae we will typically give a little more as we find ourselves spending more time in there and of course being there for lunch every now and then too.

Bartenders There are usually two bars we frequent greatly. One in the morning (Pool Bar or Sunset) and one in the evening, Martini Bar. Depending on the level of service we receive, which is typically always over the top, we may end up tipping $50 to $80 at the Martini Bar throughout the cruise (7 nights). We usually try and do it throughout the cruise to "ring the bell" in hopes it encourages others to do the same. Pool Bar or Sunset Bar will depend again on the level of service and how often we're there. For a 7 night anywhere from $25 to $50.

Keep in mind with the above bars we are there a great deal. I'm typically at a bar in the morning for at least 2 hours and in the evening for 2 hours before dinner and then a bit after the show or after dinner. They know my drink order (I'm always the same) and usually after a couple days I don't even have to order what I need, it just shows up.

Random People I love a couple of the stories above of people tipping those random people you always see cleaning certain areas or opening the door at the bathroom. We make a point to do this if we run into someone who is doing a wonderful job and smiling, etc.

I saw the comment above about "buying friendship"....that is not how I see it at all. I see it as someone who has an entry level job and is trying to work their way up. A little tip like that, along with a few kind words shows two things: 1) You appreciate their work and you want to recognize them 2) You appreciate their work so much, you're putting your money where your mouth is. For someone who might be having a sh** day this goes a long way.

We tip the porter at least $5 for two bags.

We normally get regular balcony or veranda cabins, and I try to find our cabin steward when we first get into our cabin. I like to have our ice bucket filled mid-afternoon, as well as an extra blanket for when we sit out on the balcony in the evening, and an extra pillow for the bed. I also ask him to empty our fridge. I will generally tip $10 - $20 when I ask for these things.

I'll tip again for anything out of the ordinary, as well as just great service. (If we happen to be in the room when they normally do the evening turn-down/cleaning, and they come back later to do it - they will get a better tip than if they just don't do it.)

At the end of the cruise, we generally leave an extra $20 if service has been really good.

We normally get a beverage package, and although the tip is included, we usually tip another $1 per drink. It tends to help when you are a regular at a certain bar. I do have to say, however, that even when I don't tip extra (forgot purse or wallet in the room), service is always good.

If we do specialty (pay) restaurants, we tip extra depending on the quality of the service.

We do anytime dining, so we rarely get the same waiter more than a couple of times. We will tip a waiter for exceptional service ($5 or so at the MDR, etc).

I think the fact that you are asking this question shows that whatever number you come up with will likely be a very fair and generous number. On our last cruise, it was our first time in a royal suite and I literally spent an hour scrolling through Cruise Critic trying to figure out what is appropriate for our butler and room steward. While we've stayed in suites before this was our first royal and first time using the butler for some "extra" items. I was freaking out!

Here is what we typically do. This is just us. You may be more or less and that is fine.

Porters when we arrive at the port: $2 per bag. We typically have 2 big bags and 1 or 2 small ones so $6 to $8.

Room Steward in a regular room (non suite) I use $5/day as a minimum base. Typically for a 7day cruise we will leave $40 to $50.

Room Service $3 per delivery depending on the amount of food and time of day.

Specialty Restaurants Since there is 2 of us, $10 each night in cash (so $5 per person). I've spoken to the staff and if it is on the bill it is simply pooled. I know they might be told to pool the cash, not sure, but I prefer to leave it in cash as I figure it has a great chance of hitting the server we had.

Regular Dining Basically use the same rule of thumb as above, $10 per night and usually given at the end of the cruise. So roughly $70 for a 7 night cruise. In Luminae we will typically give a little more as we find ourselves spending more time in there and of course being there for lunch every now and then too.

Bartenders There are usually two bars we frequent greatly. One in the morning (Pool Bar or Sunset) and one in the evening, Martini Bar. Depending on the level of service we receive, which is typically always over the top, we may end up tipping $50 to $80 at the Martini Bar throughout the cruise (7 nights). We usually try and do it throughout the cruise to "ring the bell" in hopes it encourages others to do the same. Pool Bar or Sunset Bar will depend again on the level of service and how often we're there. For a 7 night anywhere from $25 to $50.

Keep in mind with the above bars we are there a great deal. I'm typically at a bar in the morning for at least 2 hours and in the evening for 2 hours before dinner and then a bit after the show or after dinner. They know my drink order (I'm always the same) and usually after a couple days I don't even have to order what I need, it just shows up.

Random People I love a couple of the stories above of people tipping those random people you always see cleaning certain areas or opening the door at the bathroom. We make a point to do this if we run into someone who is doing a wonderful job and smiling, etc.

I saw the comment above about "buying friendship"....that is not how I see it at all. I see it as someone who has an entry level job and is trying to work their way up. A little tip like that, along with a few kind words shows two things: 1) You appreciate their work and you want to recognize them 2) You appreciate their work so much, you're putting your money where your mouth is. For someone who might be having a sh** day this goes a long way.

This post was well thought out and put in proper context. Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough and thoughtful. I always enjoy reading your posts and following any live cruise blogs. You participate in or initiate. Thank you!

maybe not everything, but anybody who’s ever worked for tips (including myself) will say yes. You always remember those customers who were extra generous and friendly, and although you aren’t going to become best friends, you’re always glad to see them and do go out of your way to please them.

Sent from my iphone using forums

exactly !!!!

Something else should be said about tipping. While I am certain that everyone appreciates an extra tip, we were told that something else is much more effective than tipping.

Many cruise lines utilize comment cards and commendations as ways to decide promotions.

It would mean more to the employee in the long run if they get a promotion. We make it a habit to fill out comment cards with commendations when we encounter excellent service.

As a non-American, without going into tipping amounts: do you not see "tipping" in front (as when you meet someone for the first time) as a bribe vs tipping which is supposed (as far as I know) to be something extra for good service? At the company I work for we have really strict rules on when and how we can receive anything of monetary value, and for example a lunch/dinner is borderline already...

To me, giving money upfront seems like a way to buy yourself better service while someone who doesn't gets worse service (as for example the bartender only has a certain amount of time to split between customers)?

Just curious.

Regards,

Christian

For a typical 14 day cruise, I usually tip extra:

1) Room Steward $20-$30

2) We do Select dining these days, but usually find a good table and tip the head waiter $20-30, assistant $10, Wine Steward $14-20.

3) Waiters at the elite happy hour, I take a lot of $1 bills and usually tip about $2 every night.

4) Private tours, I usually tip $5-10 for all day tours and bus driver $2-5. Ship's tours, usually the low end of that scale.

If the service has been good I usually leave $10 a day in Luminae, they do pool their tips so I just give it to the waiter who has looked after us the most. the whole experience there means that iof you use it for breakfast and lunch you will probably have a range of waiters serving you and just giving it to one saves me the hustle. Always did the same in Blu if no issues.

It maybe ship dependent or maybe not. Additional tips are not pooled unless auto gratuities have been removed. We give extras to each person in an envelope.

I think it's important to note.... Your service does NOT get worse if you don't tip. I think when people state they PRE PAY a room steward/server/bartender and ask or expect to be treated well in the days ahead, that X newbies might assume that service goes down the tubes unless one DOES tip ahead of the end of the cruise. ie: if you don't tip for the morning coffee delivery or your room steward for remembering ice, you aren't going to be ignored the next days.

We have been impressed by some staff and traditionally offer a thank you envelope at the end of the cruise. And we have always been treated with respect and good service during the days and evenings onboard prior to that thank you envelope.

Tipping is a personal philosophy and choice. As mentioned, no right or wrong answer to the "what should I tip" question.

Having read hundreds of tipping threads, I can tell you that the only "standard" is the recommendation that you tip what you believe is appropriate. There is no requirement to tip anything extra, though many (most?) of us do, but we all have a different viewpoint on what constitutes acceptable/very good/exceptional service and the appropriate dollar value. Bear in mind too that some passengers are more affluent than others and can simply afford to pay more.

Our upcoming cruise has prepaid gratuities and beverage package. So does that mean that the barman that makes my martini gets personally tipped out of that prepaid fund? Or do the prepaid gratuities get sprayed around all the staff (which would defeat the purpose)?

Same for the steward - does he get paid out of my prepaid gratuities?

If the answer to the above is no, then I'd feel I should tip them which makes prepaid gratuities pointless?

Sorry if this a dumb question!

I think it's important to note.... Your service does NOT get worse if you don't tip. I think when people state they PRE PAY a room steward/server/bartender and ask or expect to be treated well in the days ahead, that X newbies might assume that service goes down the tubes unless one DOES tip ahead of the end of the cruise. ie: if you don't tip for the morning coffee delivery or your room steward for remembering ice, you aren't going to be ignored the next days.

We have been impressed by some staff and traditionally offer a thank you envelope at the end of the cruise. And we have always been treated with respect and good service during the days and evenings onboard prior to that thank you envelope.

Tipping is a personal philosophy and choice. As mentioned, no right or wrong answer to the "what should I tip" question.

We've done this with stewards too... no point tipping ahead of the service, may as well see how it is and slip an envelope at the end. As it turns out, we've yet to have anything other than great service.

For a typical 14 day cruise, I usually tip extra:

1) Room Steward $20-$30

2) We do Select dining these days, but usually find a good table and tip the head waiter $20-30, assistant $10, Wine Steward $14-20.

3) Waiters at the elite happy hour, I take a lot of $1 bills and usually tip about $2 every night.

4) Private tours, I usually tip $5-10 for all day tours and bus driver $2-5. Ship's tours, usually the low end of that scale.

Thank you for mentioning tour guides and drivers. We do tip them as well. Is this the amount you tip per person? Or as a couple?