What is the next ethnic theme restaurant you'd like to see?

LMaxwell

What is the next ethnic theme restaurant you'd like to see?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What is the next ethnic theme restaurant you'd like to see?

Sindhu by Atul Kochar who has a twice starred michelin cuisine is on several P&O ships priced at £16-£20pp.

This is very popular so a good Indian restaurant on RC would be a big attraction.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Speciality restaurants on P&O is one of the main reasons for sailing with them and IMO they do it better and offer better VFM than RCL. Big names like Atul Kochar and Marco Pierre White makes a big difference. IMO they do more than let the cruise lines use their name, they are actively involved in maintaining standards and protecting their reputation. I also like the Glass House which is linked to Ollie Smith. Great choice of food and wine at a reasonable price.

There are many areas, RCL does better and has a superior offering but speciality dinning isn't one of them. My best speciality dinning experience (truly five star) was on Celebrity Constellation. So my thoughts are that RCL has a bigger challenge than coming up with an appropriate theme. It has a mountain to climb to achieve standards comparable to other cruise lines.

I seem to recall that one of the RCCL ships had a Brazilian steakhouse. How is/did that work out and is that a possibility for more ships?

They have not expanded Samba Grill beyond Allure and Radiance.

Indian, Thai, fondue, pho/ramen/noodle bowls, African (Moroccan or Ethiopian would be cool!), poke/Hawaiian, German

I know... this is the Royal board but this made me think of our recent Regal Princess cruise. a couple of times a week they had a "make your own" noodle bowl section in the Horizon court. You picked up a bowl and selected the ingredients you wanted, told the cook what kind of meat you would like (can be a combo) and the type of broth you desired and then they would prepare it for you. This was actually quite tasty and enjoyable.

My wife is not a big fan of curries so I always sample the Indian foods. Being a foodie, I will try most things (which is one of the things I enjoy the most about a cruise buffet)

I think that cruise ships in general would benefit by having more Asian and Asian inspired choices on ships. Personally, living in PA closer to many vibrant Asian culinary communities, I love being able to have authentic Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indonesian and Korean cuisine. I would pick those over some lack luster pizza any day. KBBQ, Pho, and Biryani FTW!!

I think that cruise ships in general would benefit by having more Asian and Asian inspired choices on ships. Personally, living in PA closer to many vibrant Asian culinary communities, I love being able to have authentic Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indonesian and Korean cuisine. I would pick those over some lack luster pizza any day. KBBQ, Pho, and Biryani FTW!!

I think the biggest issue would be convincing people to try actual, authentic food, not some Americanized version that everyone is used to.

I seem to recall that one of the RCCL ships had a Brazilian steakhouse. How is/did that work out and is that a possibility for more ships?

DNW more steakhouses. I do not eat steak (or beef at all for that matter), and don't see the difference between the American and Brazilian Steakhouse. Ships should choose one or the other, but not both.

How about an Indian or Thai inspired Vegetarian specialty restaurant?!?!?(y) Maybe if the ships didn't have to spring for such expensive meats they would spend more time and money on creating flavorful dishes. (y)

I think the biggest issue would be convincing people to try actual, authentic food, not some Americanized version that everyone is used to.

True, but I feel like the ship itself should be a destination, just like the countries on the itinerary right?? If you are cruising to India, do you expect that they will serve you a burger? If you are going to these exotic/exciting locations, why not be inspired to try their food too? Are Americans "too good" for this? And I say this as an American. I love a good turkey burger and fries, but I also love some grilled squid in KBBQ marinade!

Live a little people!

Would love an authentic French bistro. Not an "Americanized" version of one.

Not looking for anything I might miss from home. If I want what I eat at home I would stay at home. No bbq, no southern etc. Something unique and different.

I agree wholeheartedly with you here!

True, but I feel like the ship itself should be a destination, just like the countries on the itinerary right?? If you are cruising to India, do you expect that they will serve you a burger? If you are going to these exotic/exciting locations, why not be inspired to try their food too? Are Americans "too good" for this? And I say this as an American. I love a good turkey burger and fries, but I also love some grilled squid in KBBQ marinade!

Live a little people!

I don't think Americans are "too good" for this, but rather Americans (and some other countries as well) have been told "this is Chinese food" or "this is Mexican food", when it really isn't, and as a result have an expectation of what Chinese or Mexican food is...but it's an incorrect expectation of the real versions of those foods. I've met many an American who likes "Chinese food", only to go to a real Chinese restaurant and hate it, or just flat out refuse to try it.

I don't think Americans are "too good" for this, but rather Americans (and some other countries as well) have been told "this is Chinese food" or "this is Mexican food", when it really isn't, and as a result have an expectation of what Chinese or Mexican food is...but it's an incorrect expectation of the real versions of those foods. I've met many an American who likes "Chinese food", only to go to a real Chinese restaurant and hate it, or just flat out refuse to try it.

Well that is just sad. I'd like to think regardless of what people have been told, they wouldn't be afraid to try a new food for the first time, seeing as every new experience is a first experience, same as taking a new cruise or new itinerary. But, to each their own.

Live a little people!

Isn't that what visiting the port is about. 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

German/Austrian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a partnership with Hofbrau haus? They have them spread out across the US so I bet it could be done. What a great cruise concept. It would be a blast to do a casual dinner with huge pretzels, good beers, schnitzel, fun music, etc.

Just stepping foot in the Hofbrau haus puts a big smile on one’s face and the bench seating concept is conducive to meeting new friends.

Carnivals deli has horrible pastrami, if you call that pastrami, simply gross! I also would like to see a real NY Jewish Deli but most of all would love to see a real SEAFOOD restaurant!

Maybe Hooked on Symphony?

mac_tlc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Windjammer

Too limited, I would love to see a really good Indian speciality resturant.

One where I could choose from a good, well planned menu.

Not the one or two selections that they pass out in the windjammer. Mind you, I will take these offerings when dining there.

Too limited, I would love to see a really good Indian speciality resturant.

One where I could choose from a good, well planned menu.

Not the one or two selections that they pass out in the windjammer. Mind you, I will take these offerings when dining there.

Hopefully you'll get it. Not a fan of the offerings. Much prefer a good nacho/taco bar every day