Pregnant - Deluxe Beverage Package - RCCL Not Accomodating

lyssa13

Interestingly for a transatlantic (and other longer at sea cruises) you must be 1 year old to cruise.

In part the 24 week rule is in place because at that point and beyond the fetus is viable and clearly a ship can’t deal with that situation. You wouldn’t want a baby to be lost just because you were too far from the needed medical care.

I decided not to go into detail for our neophyte friend.

Any cruise with at least three sea days in a row has the requirement of one year old to sail.

Interestingly for a transatlantic (and other longer at sea cruises) you must be 1 year old to cruise.

In part the 24 week rule is in place because at that point and beyond the fetus is viable and clearly a ship can’t deal with that situation. You wouldn’t want a baby to be lost just because you were too far from the needed medical care.

Provided that the mother is healthy and is not experiencing complications she should be cleared to travel prior to that point. Realistically, a fetus is viable at 24 weeks in the best of circumstances. Unfortunately if something catastrophic were to occur it would really have to be a perfect place/perfect time/perfect situation kind of circumstance to ensure everything worked out ok. That being said, human beings have successfully reproduced other people in all sorts of conditions for a really long time. In addition to that the ship is equipped with lifesaving equipment to address passengers of all sizes. If spontaneous labor were to begin it is not as though there would instantly appear a fragile premie in need of care. The medical team would work quickly to safely get mom/baby to an appropriate care facility. The rural mother living an hour away from the nearest midwife and 4-5 hours away from the nearest NICU is at no greater risk than the healthy mom to be on a boat with a helipad & functioning basic medical facility. It’s not as though this woman is planning a trip to the bowels of Antarctica. I apologize if this comes across as a bit crabby- I’m not directing crabbiness at anyone in particular, more so at the perception of pregnant women who are essentially ticking time bombs of catastrophe. I know most people are approaching this topic from a place of good intent & well wishes for a healthy baby & mom. However I also see the needless distress that completely unreasonable restrictions on pregnant women can cause. Just my two cents.

*edited to clarify pregnancy prior to 24 weeks should be clear to travel. I am also going with the assumption that instead of detouring the ship appropriate transfer of the mom/baby would be provided under a credit card or travel insurance provision- like any other unexpected medical emergency, such as a severe injury or cardiac event. I’ll eat my words the day people start lining up for cholesterol checks, blood glucose screenings & cardiac clearance prior to traveling*

Edited by Janeille

Provided that the mother is healthy and is not experiencing complications she should be cleared to travel. A fetus is viable at 24 weeks in the best of circumstances. Unfortunately if something catastrophic were to occur it would really have to be a perfect place/perfect time/perfect situation kind of circumstance to ensure everything worked out ok. That being said, human beings have successfully reproduced other people in all sorts of conditions for a really long time. In addition to that the ship is equipped with lifesaving equipment to address passengers of all sizes. If spontaneous labor were to begin it is not as though there would instantly appear a fragile premie in need of care. The medical team would work quickly to safely get mom/baby to an appropriate care facility. The rural mother living an hour away from the nearest midwife and 4-5 hours away from the nearest NICU is at no greater risk than the healthy mom to be on a boat with a helipad & functioning basic medical facility. It’s not as though this woman is planning a trip to the bowels of Antarctica. I apologize if this comes across as a bit crabby- I’m not directing crabbiness at anyone in particular, more so at the perception of pregnant women who are essentially ticking time bombs of catastrophe. I know most people are approaching this topic from a place of good intent & well wishes for a healthy baby & mom. However I also see the needless distress that completely unreasonable restrictions on pregnant women can cause. Just my two cents.

I'm not plowing through that.

It's a cruise line rule.

No cruising after 24 weeks.

Period.

I believe this card is only offered mid cruise, at least thats how it used to be. Are they now offering it on day one?

On my last cruise, I actually asked about the drink card on the first day. The bartender said he cannot sell those until he's authorized. From what i've read here, where some have seen it in the beginning, or close to the beginning and some have seen it at the 1/2 way point leads me to believe that they decide on the cruise when to allow it depending on the status of their alcohol sales. Maybe if enough people have gotten the package, they sell these cards to bolster their sale, or if not enough people buy alcohol on a particular cruise, they withhold the card to continue sale of alcohol at their retail prices. I saw a documentary on an NCL cruise, but what I got out of it is they measure their performance on a cruise to cruise basis and in every category pretty much in real time (you didn't think those computers were for show?) Royal Caribbean probably does the same. They have a real time view of alcohol sales and inventory and managers can decide if, and when to add the cards in to bolster their own numbers.

I do wonder what that would do for broth certificate- what country would it be born in?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I work for a local educational college in Australia and I've seen 2 students have 'at sea' listed as their place of birth.

Though I think they fall under the country of birth of their parents for their nationality.

Sorry that common sense is not allowed to enter the room for you. It does not matter that some folks cheat the system. The idea that this makes it okay for RCCL to institute a policy that forces the adults in a room to both buy the package or. at least, purchase 2 types of package is nothing but a money grab.

If someone is gaming the system, cancel their package for the unused days. RCCL sells the packages because they make money on them. Otherwise, they would not sell them.

We do not buy the alcohol package because one of us does not drink alcohol and the other one drinks occasionally. Many cruises we do not buy any alcoholic drinks. We bring wine on and have so far not been charged the $15 fee. Wife has wine with her meal. Once paid $85 for a bottle of wine once the fees were added. Said never again. We follow the rules but do not expect to be punished because RCCL can't police their own programs when some people try to get over on them.

Yeah, people are right you do not have to buy the package to drink on the ship. I love the you are not being forced to buy a package responses. My advice is to hell with RCCL and not buy any of their drinks. In most cases it is one week. Enjoy a nice drink or 2 when you go onshore during the week.

Sorry that common sense is not allowed to enter the room for you. It does not matter that some folks cheat the system. The idea that this makes it okay for RCCL to institute a policy that forces the adults in a room to both buy the package or. at least, purchase 2 types of package is nothing but a money grab.

If someone is gaming the system, cancel their package for the unused days. RCCL sells the packages because they make money on them. Otherwise, they would not sell them.

We do not buy the alcohol package because one of us does not drink alcohol and the other one drinks occasionally. Many cruises we do not buy any alcoholic drinks. We bring wine on and have so far not been charged the $15 fee. Wife has wine with her meal. Once paid $85 for a bottle of wine once the fees were added. Said never again. We follow the rules but do not expect to be punished because RCCL can't police their own programs when some people try to get over on them.

Yeah, people are right you do not have to buy the package to drink on the ship. I love the you are not being forced to buy a package responses. My advice is to hell with RCCL and not buy any of their drinks. In most cases it is one week. Enjoy a nice drink or 2 when you go onshore during the week.

While I agree that is for profit (as is everything any company does), that does not mean it is also not because of sharing. People sharing cut profits, so fixing that issue raises profits. It really is all tied together.

Provided that the mother is healthy and is not experiencing complications she should be cleared to travel prior to that point. Realistically, a fetus is viable at 24 weeks in the best of circumstances. Unfortunately if something catastrophic were to occur it would really have to be a perfect place/perfect time/perfect situation kind of circumstance to ensure everything worked out ok. That being said, human beings have successfully reproduced other people in all sorts of conditions for a really long time. In addition to that the ship is equipped with lifesaving equipment to address passengers of all sizes. If spontaneous labor were to begin it is not as though there would instantly appear a fragile premie in need of care. The medical team would work quickly to safely get mom/baby to an appropriate care facility. The rural mother living an hour away from the nearest midwife and 4-5 hours away from the nearest NICU is at no greater risk than the healthy mom to be on a boat with a helipad & functioning basic medical facility. It’s not as though this woman is planning a trip to the bowels of Antarctica. I apologize if this comes across as a bit crabby- I’m not directing crabbiness at anyone in particular, more so at the perception of pregnant women who are essentially ticking time bombs of catastrophe. I know most people are approaching this topic from a place of good intent & well wishes for a healthy baby & mom. However I also see the needless distress that completely unreasonable restrictions on pregnant women can cause. Just my two cents.

*edited to clarify pregnancy prior to 24 weeks should be clear to travel. I am also going with the assumption that instead of detouring the ship appropriate transfer of the mom/baby would be provided under a credit card or travel insurance provision- like any other unexpected medical emergency, such as a severe injury or cardiac event. I’ll eat my words the day people start lining up for cholesterol checks, blood glucose screenings & cardiac clearance prior to traveling*

Sounds like you have a lot of medical knowledge, but lack cruising knowledge.

Ship's infirmary cannot handle infants, including newborns. They do not have the equipment, or training. That's the reason for the 24-week rule and also 6-month-old rule for many sailings. Air transfer, such as by helicopter, is not always possible. Ships often divert to ports with a hospital for seriously ill passengers/crew, or because of accidents. This can take several hours - you can't compare to rural births. Many ports do not have fully operational NICU's and transfer to the US. These hospitals are not like US hospitals and trauma centers.

RC instituted this rule a while back. Maybe someone can correct me, or give more information, but a premature infant was delivered on one of the ships. Everyone worked very hard to keep the child alive, using all kinds of unusual equipment/measures. I believe the ship returned to Florida, and the baby survived, but it was an incredibly difficult situation for all concerned.

I do for one. Imagine someone going on a cruise 28 weeks pregnant and then going into labor and they deliver a baby at sea forcing the cruise line to make a bee-line to the closest port. There is a reason why there is a hard cut off!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on IOS a few years ago when a woman went into labor and gave birth on the ship. I think she was 25 weeks. We sped up and got into San Juan 2 hours early. Luckily the baby survived after months in the hospital.

While I agree that is for profit (as is everything any company does), that does not mean it is also not because of sharing. People sharing cut profits, so fixing that issue raises profits. It really is all tied together.
Duh, you think. Prove the sharing RCCL and have the guts to take punitive action the offender. Again, punish the people who share not the vast majority who do not.

And for gosh sakes, do not require a pregnant person to purchase a drink package if their spouse chooses to buy a drink package.

I'm not plowing through that.

It's a cruise line rule.

No cruising after 24 weeks.

Period.

Just a matter of time before one of the cruise lines allows sailing for mom's with child up to month eight with documentation of their due date................WAIT FOR IT, but of course that will come with a fee of say..........$199 per sailing.

Then like lemmings, all the other cruise lines will fall into line.

I mean really since it is all about the profits.

I am kidding, sort of, but nothing would surprise me.

We cruised back in 2003 when spouse was around 26 to 28 weeks pregnant and nothing was said about it.

Sounds like you have a lot of medical knowledge, but lack cruising knowledge.

Ship's infirmary cannot handle infants, including newborns. They do not have the equipment, or training. That's the reason for the 24-week rule and also 6-month-old rule for many sailings. Air transfer, such as by helicopter, is not always possible. Ships often divert to ports with a hospital for seriously ill passengers/crew, or because of accidents. This can take several hours - you can't compare to rural births. Many ports do not have fully operational NICU's and transfer to the US. These hospitals are not like US hospitals and trauma centers.

RC instituted this rule a while back. Maybe someone can correct me, or give more information, but a premature infant was delivered on one of the ships. Everyone worked very hard to keep the child alive, using all kinds of unusual equipment/measures. I believe the ship returned to Florida, and the baby survived, but it was an incredibly difficult situation for all concerned.

While I agree with your logic, I note that they don't apply this to the many other health risks that walk onto cruises, notably many older folks with various conditions or the elderly in general. I would argue that a normal pregnancy up to 30ish weeks is unlikely to result in a medical emergency. You can board a 15 hour flight at that point and the airlines allow it.

In terms of being on topic, they should price the package as stateroom, with supplemental charges for more than two people. They won't do that because they'd have to advertise it at $80+ a day. All a bit of a shell game.

Duh, you think. Prove the sharing RCCL and have the guts to take punitive action the offender. Again, punish the people who share not the vast majority who do not.

And for gosh sakes, do not require a pregnant person to purchase a drink package if their spouse chooses to buy a drink package.

They are not punishing anybody, they had issues with sharing (not that easy to catch if somebody is clever), and find it easier to just change the policy.

Nobody has to purchase a package. Since the policy days if one person in the room but an alcohol package, then every adult had to have something. If it makes financial sense to pick both instead of by the drink, then take it, if not don't, it is pretty simple. The could just as easily raise all cruise costs, but then give everybody a package, and while people that drink would like that, others would not.

It is pretty cut and dried, and not something u will lose sleep on, even though it does effect me, cause my wife is getting the package and I am not.

They are not punishing anybody, they had issues with sharing (not that easy to catch if somebody is clever), and find it easier to just change the policy.

Nobody has to purchase a package. Since the policy days if one person in the room but an alcohol package, then every adult had to have something. If it makes financial sense to pick both instead of by the drink, then take it, if not don't, it is pretty simple. The could just as easily raise all cruise costs, but then give everybody a package, and while people that drink would like that, others would not.

It is pretty cut and dried, and not something u will lose sleep on, even though it does effect me, cause my wife is getting the package and I am not.

Your post doesn't make any sense.....I believe that some of your words were mistyped. No matter. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Gutless move on RCCL's part to not be flexible to the situation of this family. In the end, RCCL will come around. They remind of Disney in that they really do not like confrontation.

Your post doesn't make any sense.....I believe that some of your words were mistyped. No matter. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Gutless move on RCCL's part to not be flexible to the situation of this family. In the end, RCCL will come around. They remind of Disney in that they really do not like confrontation.

Rules are rules and they are there for a reason. It was already attempted to sell only one package - people cheated so they went to doing what most other lines were already doing. I’m sure there are hundreds of others who either don’t drink or don’t drink enough to make a package worthwhile. It remains a choice for no one in the cabin to get a package. No one is being forced to get a package. RCaI is not a charity or even a non-profit.

So many retarded answers here...I just called RCI to ask the same question as my wife is breastfeeding and can't drink. They said all we need is a letter from her doctor saying she can't consume alcohol. Call the customer service line, they'll tell you where to email it, a supervisor reviews it while you're on the phone, and then you're done. If you don't want to get a letter, you can also purchase the refreshment package, but if you don't drink juice/coffees/smoothies, then just get the letter. easy breezy.

They ARE being flexible, she doesn’t have to purchase the alcohol package, tbey are allowing her to purchase the non alcoholic package.

So many retarded answers here...I just called RCI to ask the same question as my wife is breastfeeding and can't drink. They said all we need is a letter from her doctor saying she can't consume alcohol. Call the customer service line, they'll tell you where to email it, a supervisor reviews it while you're on the phone, and then you're done. If you don't want to get a letter, you can also purchase the refreshment package, but if you don't drink juice/coffees/smoothies, then just get the letter. easy breezy.

Glad it worked out for you.

I had heard after the first of the year, one could buy DX onboard independent of others. Now I hear that this option is no longer available onboard and they are requiring at least a refreshment package to go along with the DX.

On freedom now. MDR tablemate stated they made his brother buy a drink package when he wanted to buy the deluxe package.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My wife and I just got off the Freedom a couple weeks ago and they were doing a 10 drink card for $75 on board. This was our first time seeing something like that on Royal and we thought it was a great idea for those with a package issue like this or someone who doesn’t drink enough to justify a package. I’m not sure if it will be available on your upcoming cruise but perhaps an option for your husband!

10 drink card for $75 plus 18% grats was offered day 3 of 8 day cruise on freedom.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk