Pregnant - Deluxe Beverage Package - RCCL Not Accomodating

lyssa13

I did not see anyone questioning Lyssa's pregnancy. They were explaining that Royal Caribbean has "heard it all" and has stopped making exceptions.

What they ARE doing is allowing the non-drinker of the pair to buy a non-alcoholic package.

99% of the time that has been the Refreshment Package. There have been a couple of reports of it being the soda package.

But it is RC's right to dictate and enforce its requirements for the purchase of the package.

On Carnival, there is a 15 drink per day limit. RC doesn't have that.

RC has the requirement that all adults in a cabin purchase, or no one gets it.

Are honest people being unfairly punished for the cheaters of the past? Yes. Does that matter, in terms of what RC can and is doing? No.

Lyssa, good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy that baby when s/he arrives.

You will find that as little control as you have over Royal Caribbean's decisions in this matter, you will have way less control over your life with your new family member.

:)

Could not have said it better myself...

Be careful about raising the pregnancy issue. If you are not showing, the cruise line has no obvious proof of pregnancy. And if you are showing, they might want a doctor's note on fitness to travel (there is a 24 week cut off date for pregnancy and being allowed to cruise).

Be careful about raising the pregnancy issue. If you are not showing, the cruise line has no obvious proof of pregnancy. And if you are showing, they might want a doctor's note on fitness to travel (there is a 24 week cut off date for pregnancy and being allowed to cruise).

It's rather disturbing to think that someone would go on a cruise at 24 months pregnant.

Following an organ transplant, my husband is barred from any alcohol...that's the way it is...it would be foolish to purchase it for him, but those are the rules, so buying one just for me doesn't work. Just have to adapt.

I really dislike entitlement. The rules are the rules, I don't agree with them but there are options. My husband doesn't drink on cruises, they allowed us to purchase the refreshment package for him. He doesn't want that either but he realizes in order for me to get the drink package which I prefer to purchasing individual drinks he ha# to get it. All this whining and complaing will make it worse for everyone in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

People often post that they do not get full value from the deluxe package. Think about what he would buy and would it really be worth it. There are always drinks of the day, two for ones, etc, on board, and some days you will be in port. In the end, it may not be as much of a value as you imagine.

I really dislike entitlement. The rules are the rules, I don't agree with them but there are options. My husband doesn't drink on cruises, they allowed us to purchase the refreshment package for him. He doesn't want that either but he realizes in order for me to get the drink package which I prefer to purchasing individual drinks he ha# to get it. All this whining and complaing will make it worse for everyone in the long run.

Your definition of entitlement is out there. Geez. She is pregnant and can’t drink any of the beverages in the packages. It isn’t just a preference, it is a medical reason.

So she is asking CC for advice on if/how to get an exception to a relatively newly revised rule that is in place to stop sharing of packages (which she clearly can’t even do). And believe me exceptions are made all the time on lots of rcl rules. This isn’t exactly an entitlement attitude. She isn’t asking for something for her for free. She just wants to know if there is any way her husband can get it and not her given she is pregnant and can’t enjoy the drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic). This is a perfectly reasonable post/question. And it makes even more sense given the crazy prices of individual drinks on royal nowadays because of these packages.

Sure, they could not go on a cruise but this group could also just give more friendly and respectful advice.

I’m just very confused by the snarky responses to this pregnant woman. I hope the folks here treat pregnant women better in person. Their bodies, emotions, and even memory/minds are impacted significantly while pregnant and you all pile on her for what seems like a very reasonable post. It is just sad to see the response like this.

I’m just very confused by the snarky responses to this pregnant woman. I hope the folks here treat pregnant women better in person. Their bodies, emotions, and even memory/minds are impacted significantly while pregnant and you all pile on her for what seems like a very reasonable post. It is just sad to see the response like this.

Rule is that you buy 2 packages or you don't. She has the choice not to buy. It's not snark, it's reality. She can also ask on the ship, but she doesn't want to because it's cheaper online. Sometimes you can't win em all.

We just called RCCL regarding our April 7th 2018 sailing on Harmony of the Seas. I am pregnant and won't be able to take advantage of the beverage package on this sailing but husband wants to purchase. We have now been on the phone with them going in circles - and they are telling my husband we can only do this if we purchase the normal beverage package for me. Even when I'm not pregnant, I don't drink juice, soda, or coffee - so I REALLY don't do this while pregnant.

Extremely surprised this is being forced on us - this doesn't sound like it should be allowed. Any advice? There is NO purpose in me purchasing any beverage package - all I will drink is water.

I totally understand RC's reason for having this strict policy. With that being said, if you will be less than the 24 week limit on traveling and really will not be drinking any of the juice, coffee, sodas, etc....then I would suggest getting a statement from your doctor stating that you will be less than the 24 week timeframe and that for medical reasons you cannot drink the juice, coffee, soda, etc. Scan and email the doctor's note to RC.

Lyssa, You can try posting a carefully worded message on the official Royal Caribbean facebook page. Sometimes people have luck there getting a sympathetic response and a rep who is willing to work out a compromise. It might be worth a try.

Your definition of entitlement is out there. Geez. She is pregnant and can’t drink any of the beverages in the packages. It isn’t just a preference, it is a medical reason.

So she is asking CC for advice on if/how to get an exception to a relatively newly revised rule that is in place to stop sharing of packages (which she clearly can’t even do). And believe me exceptions are made all the time on lots of rcl rules. This isn’t exactly an entitlement attitude. She isn’t asking for something for her for free. She just wants to know if there is any way her husband can get it and not her given she is pregnant and can’t enjoy the drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic). This is a perfectly reasonable post/question. And it makes even more sense given the crazy prices of individual drinks on royal nowadays because of these packages.

Sure, they could not go on a cruise but this group could also just give more friendly and respectful advice.

She can absolutely use the refreshment package as it includes water. Which I will admit is not ideal for her to purchase. She is acting entitled in that she has options many of which have been shared here, none of which she wants.... She wants exactly what she wants and the rules and accommodations shouldn't apply to her. If thats not entitlement I don't know what is.

Rule is that you buy 2 packages or you don't. She has the choice not to buy. It's not snark, it's reality. She can also ask on the ship, but she doesn't want to because it's cheaper online. Sometimes you can't win em all.

She can also ask again before she cruise sea and I’m sure she will. She knows she has a choice not to buy. She obviously wanted advice and on if getting an exception is possible etc and if so how. She got said advice and then she got the moral police like you making snarky comments after they have already been said numerous times. Hence, you are just piling on.

Whatever. It isn’t my situation but I do hope they give her the exception now if for no other reason than for how many of you have been so snarky to her. I’m guessing the will give them the exception.

This isn’t exactly an entitlement attitude. She isn’t asking for something for her for free.

Although I agree that there's no reason to be snarky in these responses, I disagree with your above comment. In fact she does seem to be appearing a bit "entitled." This would be her statement that leads me to this conclusion:

"Extremely surprised this is being forced on us - this doesn't sound like it should be allowed."

Nothing is being "forced" on her. Why shouldn't RCCL be "allowed" to enforce their own rules?

Sorry, but every cruise line out there has the same rule. None, to my knowledge, allow only one person in a cabin to purchase an Alcoholic Drink Package. And most have a 15 drink limit. And most, if you purchase a drink above the cash limit you FULL price, not just the difference. There was a lot of discussion about sharing packages over the last few years. Too many stated "I paid for the drink so I should be able to give one to anyone I want." Then the inevitable comparison to buffets began. And too many proudly bragged about sharing and followed with "Royal Caribbean makes enough money as it is, and why do you care what I do?" Then many of us answered "we care because they'll change the rules and require all people in the cabin who are 21 or over to purchase packages." And then they did. I guess we all pay for the lack of ethics and morals of others.