Pregnant - Deluxe Beverage Package - RCCL Not Accomodating

lyssa13

So i can currently get 20 drinks per day for $43 now and you’re proposing I should be paying $90? Do you work for RCCL by any chance?

Let's not get into how to AVERAGE 20 drinks a day over a 7 day cruise with three port stops.

In my mind, the 20 drinks per day would be cumulative through the cruise. So on a 7 day cruise, you'd have 140 drinks. If you want to drink them all on day 6 & 7, go for it.

If the person you're travelling with doesn't drink, you need to add the cost for their package in also so you get your 20 drinks.

20 drink for $90 is $4.50/drink. Those same drinks a la carte are $11-$12.

There is no way to make every single person happy. So this would be a compromise. I made up the costs and number of drinks per day. RCI doesn't have to worry about people sharing. Drinkers are still getting a good discount on the price/drink.

You could possibly even set it up where a soda or a bottle of water costs 1/2 a drink.

I am interested in this comment. We have not been, but my wife is saying she wants to try that for our next trip.

In my experience (5 different resorts), the AI resorts liquor is nowhere near the quality that is offered on Royal Caribbean. Granted, I haven't gone to any of the high end AI resorts, but we are going to name brand resorts with the most recent being the Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica. They typically have one brand of each type of liquor and they aren't brands I have ever heard of - local cheap stuff. The beer has been one choice and is a light beer (not my favorite, but drank plenty of it). The wine is the same - one cheap red and one cheap white wine.

Now, if you are getting mixed tropical drinks, it probably doesn't really matter much. We still love going to the AI resorts and drink what they have to offer, but it is definitely a lot lower quality than what is available onboard Royal Caribbean.

In my experience (5 different resorts), the AI resorts liquor is nowhere near the quality that is offered on Royal Caribbean. Granted, I haven't gone to any of the high end AI resorts, but we are going to name brand resorts with the most recent being the Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica. They typically have one brand of each type of liquor and they aren't brands I have ever heard of - local cheap stuff. The beer has been one choice and is a light beer (not my favorite, but drank plenty of it). The wine is the same - one cheap red and one cheap white wine.

Now, if you are getting mixed tropical drinks, it probably doesn't really matter much. We still love going to the AI resorts and drink what they have to offer, but it is definitely a lot lower quality than what is available onboard Royal Caribbean.

The better AI resorts have and serve top shelf stuff. You'll get some high quality bottles in your room too, such as Tanqueray, etc. They will have the standard good stuff you're looking for like Grey Goose, many flavors of Absolut, etc. Wine has improved over the years too. Last time in the DR there were large ice buckets in the beach side restaurant with a good assortment of white and rose wines by the glass plus sparkling. Just depends where you go.

My wife and I just got off the Freedom a couple weeks ago and they were doing a 10 drink card for $75 on board. This was our first time seeing something like that on Royal and we thought it was a great idea for those with a package issue like this or someone who doesn’t drink enough to justify a package. I’m not sure if it will be available on your upcoming cruise but perhaps an option for your husband!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I just got off the Freedom a couple weeks ago and they were doing a 10 drink card for $75 on board. This was our first time seeing something like that on Royal and we thought it was a great idea for those with a package issue like this or someone who doesn’t drink enough to justify a package. I’m not sure if it will be available on your upcoming cruise but perhaps an option for your husband!

I believe this card is only offered mid cruise, at least thats how it used to be. Are they now offering it on day one?

I believe this card is only offered mid cruise, at least thats how it used to be. Are they now offering it on day one?

So we were on an 8 day eastern Caribbean with the first 2 days being at sea and the signs went out on the first day at sea after embarkation day. Sounds like that isn’t the norm?

So we were on an 8 day eastern Caribbean with the first 2 days being at sea and the signs went out on the first day at sea after embarkation day. Sounds like that isn’t the norm?

No, not from what I've seen reported. Rarely have I seen the card reported offered in the first half of the cruise.

With that being said, for our up coming trip he purchased the drink package & I got the refreshment. but my issue was why am I paying for a refreshments package when the water, lemonade, iced tea, coffee & tea are included. I don't see how purchasing this package is going to deter anybody from sharing.

Perhaps because, if you are interested in drinking, buying a single package and sharing is less attractive if you also have to purchase an expensive, non-alcoholic package to go along with it. Might as well just buy two alcohol packages and be done with it.

the cruise company got greedy so lets place the blame where it belongs

the prices for the drinks on the cruise have gotten ridiculously expensive

they buy that liquor in bulk. they make lots of money on it

so drop the pries you will sell more and drop the prices pf those photos that are overpriced and they throw them out anyway

the cruise company got greedy so lets place the blame where it belongs

the prices for the drinks on the cruise have gotten ridiculously expensive

they buy that liquor in bulk. they make lots of money on it

so drop the pries you will sell more and drop the prices pf those photos that are overpriced and they throw them out anyway

Royal is like every for profit company- they are there to make money. Dropping price on drinks or packages means lost revenue, with means they either raise that profit elsewhere, or lower quality someplace else. I know it is not what you want to here, but it is true.

If they start getting less profits from higher prices, them prices will come down, but the sheer volume is drinking happening does not seem to be dropping.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Be careful about raising the pregnancy issue. If you are not showing, the cruise line has no obvious proof of pregnancy. And if you are showing, they might want a doctor's note on fitness to travel (there is a 24 week cut off date for pregnancy and being allowed to cruise).

WOW SPEECHLESS [emoji55].... Who cares if she is over 24 weeks prego.

If thats the risk she wants to take. Its on her....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, you are wrong.

Just as a child cannot cruise until s/he is 6 months old, a pregnant woman is barred from cruising after the 24 week mark.

The reason is the same: medical risk.

No, it’s not on her. The cruise lines do not allow expectant mothers to travel beyond the 24th week of pregnancy, and proof is required. Even though the ships have medical facilities, they aren’t equipped to handle a premature infant or a delivery with complications.

I do for one. Imagine someone going on a cruise 28 weeks pregnant and then going into labor and they deliver a baby at sea forcing the cruise line to make a bee-line to the closest port. There is a reason why there is a hard cut off!

Edited by yankees111

I do for one. Imagine someone going on a cruise 28 weeks pregnant and then going into labor and they deliver a baby at sea forcing the cruise line to make a bee-line to the closest port. There is a reason why there is a hard cut off!

I do wonder what that would do for broth certificate- what country would it be born in?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

No, you are wrong.

Just as a child cannot cruise until s/he is 6 months old, a pregnant woman is barred from cruising after the 24 week mark.

The reason is the same: medical risk.

Interestingly for a transatlantic (and other longer at sea cruises) you must be 1 year old to cruise.

In part the 24 week rule is in place because at that point and beyond the fetus is viable and clearly a ship can’t deal with that situation. You wouldn’t want a baby to be lost just because you were too far from the needed medical care.

For goodness sake- as a fellow woman I hope the OP hasn’t retreated to a quiet corner at home to continue gestation. I hope she fully enjoys her cruise & whatever else she decides to do! As a wife I can think of many times it was amusing & hilarious to watch my spouse have a few, while I remained totally sober. If your husband is anything like mine he will be amusingly affectionate, and not even slightly resembling the person who needs to be babysat! Enjoy your babymoon, romance & relaxation! I would suggest asking your healthcare provider for a letter stating that 1) you are officially knocked up & sober and 2) that you are sound as the ship to travel.

If all else fails set aside the $350 cost of a drink package to his beverage limit. Unfortunately there are enough people who would try and work this into some sort of a scam that I cannot totally fault the cruise line for taking a hard stand. Whatever happens I hope you all have a wonderful babymoon & a healthy happy little family going forward!