Pregnant - Deluxe Beverage Package - RCCL Not Accomodating

lyssa13

She can also ask again before she cruise sea and I’m sure she will. She knows she has a choice not to buy. She obviously wanted advice and on if getting an exception is possible etc and if so how. She got said advice and then she got the moral police like you making snarky comments after they have already been said numerous times. Hence, you are just piling on.

Whatever. It isn’t my situation but I do hope they give her the exception now if for no other reason than for how many of you have been so snarky to her. I’m guessing the will give them the exception.

I think she got a nice variety of advice and she can choose to do what she wants.

Not sure what part of my advice was moral and snarky as I was answering you, not her.

As soon as the policy came out that you didn't have to buy a pkg if you had a medical or religious or whatever reason, suddenly a lot of people had those reasons so they only had to buy one. I'm sure a number of those were using the pkg the way they did before the policy changed and were sharing. You can't blame RCI for trying to find a way to enforce their own rules. It's their policy and the choice is to either buy for both or buy for neither. I find it hard to believe that so many people drink so much that they spend more buying individual drinks than they do using a package. I'm sure some do and I've seen the results a couple of times, but I've also seen sharing of pkgs. We don't bother and we just buy what we want. We've never spent anywhere near as much as the pkg costs.

RCI pretty much had no choice because some people believe rules are made to be broken and they do their best to beat "the man" which really backfires on them and results in the current rules and the high cost of the pkgs.

I understand why you don't want the alcohol package, but I think your case is really no different than the recovering alcoholic, the person who takes meds that prohibit drinking etc. All of the reasons are valid, but so far I haven't seen anyone being able to get one alcohol package and the other no package since the beginning of the year.

I know it doesn't make any difference to you, but other lines make both purchase the alcohol package or nothing. They don't offer the non-alcohol package as a trade off. As posted several times, the cheaters have ruined this for everyone and they will continue to do so.

I am in the same boat as you, so to speak, in that my sister and I travel together and she takes meds that prohibit any alcohol. I either have to pay individually, or she has to buy the non-alcohol package when in fact, she also only drinks water or iced tea. I don't drink a lot of alcohol drinks daily, but I do use the bottled water and an occasional juice here and there.

I guess we will both have to bite the bullet and either pay for the drinks individually, or have the non-alcohol package. In your case, if your husband drinks more alcohol than the package price daily, it may be worth it to buy the non-alcohol package, even if you don't use it. I may have to do what others have done and put a luggage tag on a case of water and send it on with my suitcase and if I want to have a drink, I will buy it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope you find a solution to your quest.

As soon as the policy came out that you didn't have to buy a pkg if you had a medical or religious or whatever reason, suddenly a lot of people had those reasons so they only had to buy one. I'm sure a number of those were using the pkg the way they did before the policy changed and were sharing. You can't blame RCI for trying to find a way to enforce their own rules. It's their policy and the choice is to either buy for both or buy for neither. I find it hard to believe that so many people drink so much that they spend more buying individual drinks than they do using a package. I'm sure some do and I've seen the results a couple of times, but I've also seen sharing of pkgs. We don't bother and we just buy what we want. We've never spent anywhere near as much as the pkg costs.

RCI pretty much had no choice because some people believe rules are made to be broken and they do their best to beat "the man" which really backfires on them and results in the current rules and the high cost of the pkgs.

I don’t blame royal at all for the policy. But I also don’t blame anyone who wonders if there is an exception for sharing a room with a pregnant person. To me this is very different than other reasons like “recovering alcoholic”, taking certain meds, etc. Why in the world would a recovering alcoholic want to share a room with me if I’m drinking enough to warrant a drinking package? Seems like a tough situation for both to say the least.

Pregnancy can easily be documented and proven so just much easier for an exception with little to zero chance of abuse/cheating the system.

Regardless, this could become an issue for royal. They have jacked up drink prices to push people towards packages. Now they are back to making packages more restrictive but individual drink prices remain sky high. If I wanted to drink quite a bit on a rcl trip I certainly wouldn’t want to room with someone who doesn’t with the policy as is. It would cost a fortune to buy individualy for a moderate to heavy drinker.

I don’t blame royal at all for the policy. But I also don’t blame anyone who wonders if there is an exception for sharing a room with a pregnant person. To me this is very different than other reasons like “recovering alcoholic”, taking certain meds, etc. Why in the world would a recovering alcoholic want to share a room with me if I’m drinking enough to warrant a drinking package? Seems like a tough situation for both to say the least.

Pregnancy can easily be documented and proven so just much easier for an exception with little to zero chance of abuse/cheating the system.

Regardless, this could become an issue for royal. They have jacked up drink prices to push people towards packages. Now they are back to making packages more restrictive but individual drink prices remain sky high. If I wanted to drink quite a bit on a rcl trip I certainly wouldn’t want to room with someone who doesn’t with the policy as is. It would cost a fortune to buy individualy for a moderate to heavy drinker.

There are many conditions that people takes meds for that are easily documented, but they should have to buy a package? What about transplant patients that are on meds for life, do you really think they are going to risk drinking? The cruise line tried to have a list of exceptions and too many people abused it.

The OP DH should pay as he goes or the OP should get a refreshment package which will supply all the bottled spring water she wants.

I think you'll find those traveling with recovering alcoholics and non-drinkers for any reason wouldn't agree with you that pregnancy is different. Alcoholism can be diagnosed and those who don't drink for other health or religious reasons probably feel they have just as much right as a pregnant woman to not be forced to buy a pkg. A lot of people don't drink juice or soda due to sugar content so why wouldn't that be just as legitimate?

RCI could easily solve the problem of drink sharing by having drink package holders wear bracelets and put package drinks in cups that indicate they are package drinks. Anyone not wearing a drink package bracelet and corresponding cup would be blindly obvious. Any cost of the bracelets/cups would be offset by the savings on drink sharing.

Or they could set a daily limit like other lines.

Am I the only one that remembers when RCI first introduced the packages, the mandatory policy was in place from the start? Then they laxed up on it, and now they've reverted back to the original policy.

I was on Allure in 2013 and wanted the package. The person I was with wasn't much of a drinker and most definitely would not have gotten her money's worth by purchasing the package. But, she didn't want to spoil my fun, so she accepted the policy for what it was, and bought the package for herself anyways.

Sometimes in life, you have to make a compromise.

And I don't think the pregnant OP is "entitled" (oh, how I loathe that word). She simply has no use for a drink package with alcohol, soda, juice, or coffee. BUT, she did respond positively to the suggestion of a water package, which suggests she doesn't want anything for free, just that she doesn't want to pay for a package she won't use but also doesn't want her husband to have to pay per drink.

I always look at the money aspect. If OP wasn’t pregnant, they would both be required to purchase the Deluxe package. So even if the cost is higher and the husband can purchase once on the ship just for himself, they are still ahead.

Also, pay as he goes, and he might be able to purchase the 10 drink card on day 3 or 4.

If they will allow the Soda package for you, that might be a better option than getting no packages at all. It’s very inexpensive, and since the Harmony has the Coke Freestyle machines, that would give you unlimited access to still and sparkling flavored or unflavored Dasani water. At only $8.50 per day (before gratuity) you could pair that with your husband’s Deluxe package. I think it might be a good compromise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would buy all of the drinks a la carte. I imagine that will end up costing less than 1 Deluxe package + 1 any other drink package, no?

For most people, this would probably be true. But I am amazed at how much some people drink on a cruise. We had $ 25 drink credit each on our last cruise and that was sufficient for us, but we may have one drink during an evening show 3 times during a week long cruise. My co-worker is going on Celebrity and purchased the drink package for her and her husband, even though he doesn’t drink. She said she calculated how much she would spend on individual glasses of wine and it was substantially cheaper to buy 2 drink packages than buy individual drinks. At $ 49 pp per day, I told her she will need to drink 11 drinks per day to break even, if wine is $ 9.00 per glass. She said “that won’t be a problem”. [emoji50]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For most people, this would probably be true. But I am amazed at how much some people drink on a cruise. We had $ 25 drink credit each on our last cruise and that was sufficient for us, but we may have one drink during an evening show 3 times during a week long cruise. My co-worker is going on Celebrity and purchased the drink package for her and her husband, even though he doesn’t drink. She said she calculated how much she would spend on individual glasses of wine and it was substantially cheaper to buy 2 drink packages than buy individual drinks. At $ 49 pp per day, I told her she will need to drink 11 drinks per day to break even, if wine is $ 9.00 per glass. She said “that won’t be a problem”. [emoji50]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Between $13 martinis and whatever they charge for bottles of water, I easily crack $100/day worth of beverages.

Some people go on cruises and eat like pigs. And then others go on cruises and drink like fish.

To each their own. ;)

Between $13 martinis and whatever they charge for bottles of water, I easily crack $100/day worth of beverages.

Some people go on cruises and eat like pigs. And then others go on cruises and drink like fish.

To each their own. ;)

In your case, it would still make sense to pay for a second package (especially just the soda package) if the other person in the room didn't want to drink, as it would still be cheaper. Nice to have options imo.

There are many conditions that people takes meds for that are easily documented, but they should have to buy a package? What about transplant patients that are on meds for life, do you really think they are going to risk drinking? The cruise line tried to have a list of exceptions and too many people abused it.

The OP DH should pay as he goes or the OP should get a refreshment package which will supply all the bottled spring water she wants.

Sorry, totally different. Actually a significant % of Americans are on meds for life from r be reason or another and drink anyways. So how do you vet that?

However, All of us have one thing in common. We all had a pregnant mom. They all went through a ton to bring us into this world. Cut the Moms to be some slack I say.

Regardless these other medical conditions could easily be such that the non alcoholic packages could work but a pregnant women isn’t gonna drink much soda, coffee, and the other parts of the packages. So it is quite different for the OP.

Royal obviously can’t vet the many medical reasons for not wanting a package but pregnancy could likely be one standard exception assuming the indidual is willing to provide documentable proof.

If they will allow the Soda package for you, that might be a better option than getting no packages at all. It’s very inexpensive, and since the Harmony has the Coke Freestyle machines, that would give you unlimited access to still and sparkling flavored or unflavored Dasani water. At only $8.50 per day (before gratuity) you could pair that with your husband’s Deluxe package. I think it might be a good compromise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a good solution if rcl wont give her an exception.

I think you'll find those traveling with recovering alcoholics and non-drinkers for any reason wouldn't agree with you that pregnancy is different. Alcoholism can be diagnosed and those who don't drink for other health or religious reasons probably feel they have just as much right as a pregnant woman to not be forced to buy a pkg. A lot of people don't drink juice or soda due to sugar content so why wouldn't that be just as legitimate?

First comparing a pregnant woman to someone who formerly abused alcohol is ridiculous. It isn’t the same and I don’t care what type of equivalency anyone is trying to use, I don’t accept it. And I have very close family/ friend that we’re former abusers of drugs and or alcohol.

Also, You don’t think recover alcoholic diagnosis could easily be abused by those not wanting a package or worse yet wanting to share drinks. I’m sure lots of documentation would be easy to get for someone that wanted to fake this (see service dog abusers for evidence of the lengths people go). Heck, if I was a heavy drinker and I asked my doctor I’m sure they would write a letter saying I can’t drink, etc etc. this is why their policy is very firm now.

My point is they could create a general exception guideline for pregnant women which would be quite hard to fake or abuse on board.

Since I’m neither a woman or pregnant it isn’t much skin off my back either way.

Here is a shocking piece of information.

Some pregnant women have an occasional glass of wine.

With the blessing of their doctors.

How does RC know that the OP is not one of those people?

"Oh, I can't drink. I'm pregnant. Don't make me buy a package. I'll just have my husband give me a glass of wine each day from his package."

I am not saying that Lyssa would do this, but it's one of those situations where RC is being condemned, but they have legitimate questions about people's claims.

And again, no one is forcing Lyssa to buy a package. All they have to do is NOT buy a package for Mr. Lyssa.

And a very good point about the drink cards. They have been appearing on every ship at this point, I believe. If he can not go -whole-hog on the first three days of the cruise, when they will be in port for either one or two days, he can buy the 10 drink punch card and save money that way. (they usually appear on Day 4 of a 7 night cruise)

One more point: If I am pregnant and not drinking and traveling with my loving, supportive husband, I would expect him to be respectful of my condition and not be drinking a ton of drinks in front of me, day after day.

:)

First comparing a pregnant woman to someone who formerly abused alcohol is ridiculous. It isn’t the same and I don’t care what type of equivalency anyone is trying to use, I don’t accept it. And I have very close family/ friend that we’re former abusers of drugs and or alcohol.

Also, You don’t think recover alcoholic diagnosis could easily be abused by those not wanting a package or worse yet wanting to share drinks. I’m sure lots of documentation would be easy to get for someone that wanted to fake this (see service dog abusers for evidence of the lengths people go). Heck, if I was a heavy drinker and I asked my doctor I’m sure they would write a letter saying I can’t drink, etc etc. this is why their policy is very firm now.

My point is they could create a general exception guideline for pregnant women which would be quite hard to fake or abuse on board.

Since I’m neither a woman or pregnant it isn’t much skin off my back either way.

For this purpose, it's entirely applicable. As for women, they most definitely could fake it. You can't cruise after 24 weeks and there are plenty of women who show very little prior to 15+ weeks and you'd never know they were or not. I'm not sure why you think a woman couldn't fake being pregnant and forge a note or something. Dr's notes mean nothing unless there is a way to verify them and RCI isn't going to waste time and resources following up on every one.

The point is, the rules are what they are and either you buy or you don't. It's actually pretty simple.

One more point: If I am pregnant and not drinking and traveling with my loving, supportive husband, I would expect him to be respectful of my condition and not be drinking a ton of drinks in front of me, day after day.

:)

You said what I've been thinking all along.