You Better Tip at Port Everglades - Or Else!

Squire5000

Wow !

$10 for just 2 bags, $20 for 4 ?

Way too much !

Half of that would be more than sufficient for the short distance that they handle your luggage.

It is no wonder that they are fighting over your tips.

Totally agree...besides the point that they clear more a year than I do!!;p Always tip but never that much have always received our bags!

We boarded the Regal last weekend. Fortunately we did not have any attitude from the porter who took our two pieces of checked luggage. I only gave him $2. I thought it was adequate considering he moved our bags about 10 feet from where we gave them to him to the container holding other pieces of luggage. If you multiplied one bag per person times $1 per bag, that's $3,600 for the dozen or so men to split for a morning's work. Add in additional tips for those they helped with disembarkation, that's a nice day's pay, especially since they probably don't declare most of their tips as income.

We did get attitude from a cab driver on our last cruise who did not think we paid him enough. I wish now that I had not given him any additional tip. We had shared a cab from the port to the airport due to his thinking the other folks were with us.

Cannot stand most taxi drivers in Fort Lauderdale ,rude ,scam artists. I got sick of arguing with them. I now use Uber and have had very good luck! Met some very nice, ordinary, helpful people!

• 2 weeks later...
Literally told to "tip more if we wanted our bags onboard" at Port of Miami. Had tipped $20 for 4 bags. Took to bags and the $20 to another porter. Ridiculous but it happens!

That is when I would snap their picture and phone the port police. That is legally extortion.

Have been cruising from Port Everglades since the early 80s & currently 4-5 times a yr. Many times I go solo. I have never experienced any of the rude behavior described here!

I think many people receive the attitude in return that they extend to others.

Frankly, I think it is WELL beyond ridiculous. I will carry my bags on board. PERIOD. I mean, seriously folks - I worked all my life and never once was I "tipped". My Wife was an RN for over 30 years. Never tipped once.

So these clowns expect 20 bucks to carry a bag 50 feet? Nonsense.

More like 5 feet. I don’t tip them either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the porters didn't move the luggage fast enough they would be up to their ears in bags. :)

The porters only take the bags from curbside drop off to the area where Princess screens them before they are allowed on board. After that, Princess personnel takes the bags to your cabin.

I didn’t tip at all. Had no problems

Never tipped, never a problem. They are Union & make a living wage. I save my tips for those that don't.

How did tipping/gratuity grow to so many extraneous professions? Now owners of companies (hair salons, for 1) want tips. There's legislation pending for owners of restaurants to take the tips from front of house and do as they wish. Counter coffee personnel put out a jar with tips written on it. How did it go from truly expressing appreciation for a job well done or going the extra mile to mandatory and demanding? OMG ...

The porters only take the bags from curbside drop off to the area where Princess screens them before they are allowed on board. After that' date=' Princess personnel takes the bags to your cabin.[/quote']

Actually, that is not what happens. Princess people do not touch the bags until they are actually onboard the ship. When porters take the bags, they take them into the baggage area where they are put through the scanners and then loaded onto carts which are then moved by forklifts out onto the pier where they are transferred onto the ship. At that point the people on the ship (Princess people) move them to the cabins. When cruisers take their bags into the baggage area, the bags are then put through the scanners and they then follow the same procedure onto the ship. But, whether the bags are dropped off by the cruiser at the scanners or outside with a porter, no non-longshore person will touch those bags until they get onto the ship. Bags that are carried onboard the ship by the cruiser are a completly different matter of course.

Tom

We boarded the Regal Princess on February 4th. We always tip the baggage porter $10 for 2 bags. We did the same this trip.

As we were walking towards the Princess terminal, I was a few feet ahead of my wife. All of a sudden, my wife starts calling out for me. I turn around and she is being verbally intimidated by a porter. I immediately go back and the guy starts berating me telling me "You have to tip". I tell this clown I did and he continues on telling me to identify who received the tip. I locate the guy and drag him over to talk to "The Intimidator" My guy tells "The Intimidator" I tipped him. "The Intimidator" starts yelling at the porter to turn over the tip to him. We picked up the pace and soon were safely inside the Princess terminal while the 2 porters were still jawboning at each other.

I don't know who oversees these guys, but you better leave a tip - or else.

Ridiculous behavior on their part. We usually give $5-6 for two pieces of luggage and they’re happy with that. All they do is lift it one foot away onto that cage cart. Used to be $3-4 sufficed.

All they’re getting from us is the usual $5-6 for our two very lightweight 37lb suitcases.

I would tip $10 for 4 people, but not for two people.

If they do anything extra, then we up the tip.

Literally told to "tip more if we wanted our bags onboard" at Port of Miami. Had tipped $20 for 4 bags. Took to bags and the $20 to another porter. Ridiculous but it happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extortion. They should have been reported.

We're sailing out of FLL on March 18 and it will be our first experience of sailing from that port. The general tone of this thread is upsetting. Hopefully we won't encounter jerks like the ones being discussed. I'm not sure if our larger bag will fit through the scanner or not but I'm feeling tempted to try just to avoid the nastiness that I've seen mentioned here and in other threads over the past few years. This port really does seem to have a bad reputation in this regard.

We’ve sailed out of FLL at least 8 times, 5 times last 5 years, and we have never had a poor experience. Actually, it’s always been pleasant and efficient. We tip anywhere from $5-6 for two 25 inch pieces of luggage. They’re always appreciative and say thank you and also remind us to have our documents out for quick processing.

We’re going again in April, so we shall see. [emoji4]

We boarded the Regal Princess on February 4th. We always tip the baggage porter $10 for 2 bags. We did the same this trip.

As we were walking towards the Princess terminal, I was a few feet ahead of my wife. All of a sudden, my wife starts calling out for me. I turn around and she is being verbally intimidated by a porter. I immediately go back and the guy starts berating me telling me "You have to tip". I tell this clown I did and he continues on telling me to identify who received the tip. I locate the guy and drag him over to talk to "The Intimidator" My guy tells "The Intimidator" I tipped him. "The Intimidator" starts yelling at the porter to turn over the tip to him. We picked up the pace and soon were safely inside the Princess terminal while the 2 porters were still jawboning at each other.

I don't know who oversees these guys, but you better leave a tip - or else.

I can guarantee that they will not get anything out of me. I carry my own luggage onto the ship and do not need assistance and secondly I do not take BS from anyone and am big enough to stand up for myself and not take that sort of abuse.

Actually, that is not what happens. Princess people do not touch the bags until they are actually onboard the ship. When porters take the bags, they take them into the baggage area where they are put through the scanners and then loaded onto carts which are then moved by forklifts out onto the pier where they are transferred onto the ship. At that point the people on the ship (Princess people) move them to the cabins. When cruisers take their bags into the baggage area, the bags are then put through the scanners and they then follow the same procedure onto the ship. But, whether the bags are dropped off by the cruiser at the scanners or outside with a porter, no non-longshore person will touch those bags until they get onto the ship. Bags that are carried onboard the ship by the cruiser are a completly different matter of course.

Tom

Also, it is port personnel, not Princess personnel, that screen the bags before they are brought onto the ship.