You Better Tip at Port Everglades - Or Else!

Squire5000

You are right. This cruise is "complicated' date='" and I think I've just decided to obsess about this thread. We've done almost 40 cruises on 4 different lines; I need to quit worrying about this.[/quote']

That’s a lot of cruises! Hope you enjoy your next one!

Lets clear up something about luggage. In nearly every port in the world (and every port in the USA) everyone must pass through metal detectors while their luggage goes through an X-Ray machine. Depending on the port, those X-ray machines can only handle carry-on (or slightly larger) luggage. So you cannot just roll large pieces of luggage into many ports (Port Everglades is one good example).

As to bypassing the Longshoreman, that would often mean taking your luggage to one of the large luggage cages (which they later load on the ships with a fork lift) and put your luggage in the cage. Most Longshoreman are not going to be happy about this....and some might actually tell you NO! You could then just leave your luggage near those cages and "pray" that the Longshoreman "remember" to load it. Personally, we just pay a $5 extortion fee (called a tip) which gives us some piece of mind (and helps ensure our luggage will later appear in our cabin). For those that prefer to give $10 (or more) your luggage will go into the same cages as all the other luggage :).

Hank

On reading this thread, I am surprised that anyone would think that tipping is a good practice. I believe it is better for employers to pay their staff a reasonable wage (I don't mean as much as the longshoremen get), with the customers not being obliged to pay a tip (wage subsidy).

You and a few others post this ... more than a few times.

We've all heard it.

How's it going with changing the rest of the world to match your paradigm?

Lets clear up something about luggage. In nearly every port in the world (and every port in the USA) everyone must pass through metal detectors while their luggage goes through an X-Ray machine. Depending on the port, those X-ray machines can only handle carry-on (or slightly larger) luggage. So you cannot just roll large pieces of luggage into many ports (Port Everglades is one good example).

As to bypassing the Longshoreman, that would often mean taking your luggage to one of the large luggage cages (which they later load on the ships with a fork lift) and put your luggage in the cage. Most Longshoreman are not going to be happy about this....and some might actually tell you NO! You could then just leave your luggage near those cages and "pray" that the Longshoreman "remember" to load it. Personally, we just pay a $5 extortion fee (called a tip) which gives us some piece of mind (and helps ensure our luggage will later appear in our cabin). For those that prefer to give $10 (or more) your luggage will go into the same cages as all the other luggage :).

Hank

At Port Everglades they are standing in front of the large luggage cages in the parking garage at Terminal 2 and by the parking lot at terminal 4 so lord knows how you would get them on!! It always kills me to hand them over to them and have to pay for them to stack them, but such is life and part of cruising.

As my friend has worked at Port of Miami for just about 40 years, my son-in-law used to work at Port Canaveral and his brother-in-law still does (they all belong to the same union) I'll see if I can get a number to call if someone has issues. Of course maybe they may tell me "I can tell you but then I'd have to kill you!" LOL

I was going to take my bag on myself but staff checking your pass to let you into the building wouldn't even let us through the door to get to the scanners as they said they were too big. They said to go check them in.

They are the same size as DCL if I remember correctly.

I had that same issue in NYC a few years ago, but we always carry our own luggage. Carnival says 24” x 16” length doesn’t matter. My luggage is bit smaller than that but bigger than the airlines allow for carry on.

One of the people overseeing the line said I had to check it. I said no, it’s under what Carnival allows and I pointed to a huge yellow banner with the size conveniently on it in black letters at least foot high.

She kept yammering at me that it wouldn’t fit through the scanners. I said, “It always has before.” She kept it up all the way to the scanner. Other people in the line seemed to enjoy the show.

When we got up to the scanner, and it went through with tons of room to spare, I turned to say I told you so, but she was gone. I got a round of applause from the other passengers. [emoji13]

We always get questioned but the suitcases always fit through with no problem.

I suspect the woman in NY was getting kickbacks from the porters. [emoji16] It’s not that we don’t want to tip. We just find it faster and easier to do it ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We carry on/carry off our luggage so have not had this experience even though we cruised out of FLL in January. It definitely needs to be reported to the cruise line !! In addition, there used to be signs up in the unloading area (maybe still are) that no tips are required. We always tipped when we used the service, but with elite status and our perfecting the art of packing light, all we need for a short 7 day cruise is one 24-26" suitcase. Since they are all on wheels, it is no hardship to roll it on/off ourselves.

i had no idea you were allowed to carry luggage on board. good info!

We mainly sail into PE not out of. We've done sailings mainly out of Europe with several also out of San Pedro. As far as luggage goes, I schlep a lot (2 large suitcases, two garment bags and the carry on's) on our cruises. Where tipping is concerned, I always over tip (yup it's budgeted in to what we spend). In a U.S.Port/Airport, I throw the dock guys/gals or airport porters) $20.00. I have never had any problems whatsoever. I know most everyone reading this post will think that is way too much, but it works for us.....:):):)

Bob

• Like 1

On our last trip leaving Southampton England, a very nice luggage handler helped removed all of our items from the car, reminded us to be sure to hand-carry documents and medication, chatted very nicely with us, too. He gave us an update on wait time in the terminal, wishing us a pleasant cruise. DH reached for his wallet and the luggage guy say, "No, this is England, not the US. We have unions here, but not like they do in the states."

Darcy

I experienced the same thing in Dover last summer. I had to stop the stevedore and put the money in his hand. He really didn't seem to know what I was trying to do. Looking back, I should've just skipped the tip.

We were lucky in NYC last fall. The stevedore took the tip and we had no problems. We always watch to make sure our bags actually get in one of those rolling luggage trolleys/cages.

That's a crazy story. It's a highly variable situation, I'm sure you'll see any and every type of behavior. I've had porters act surprised at receiving a tip and porters singing/chanting to solicit for tips (around Christmas, that being their justification). Glad I never got shook down like that, I would worry so much about the fate of my bags after an experience like that.

We always watch to make sure our bags actually get in one of those rolling luggage trolleys/cages.

We also do that but one time in FLL, we walked away and periodically came back to look and our suitcases were still sitting on the sidewalk 45 minutes later. We did not want to confront any of the angry ( they certainly acted that way) porters so after an hour just boarded the ship. The bags were delivered but much later than normal. Most of our cruises are out of FLL and I hate dealing with the luggage. Accurately considered buying smaller luggage so we could carry it on ourselves. I am not going to let it bother me more than the few hours after we arrive there. But I may start taking pictures of my luggage sitting on the sidewalk if it happens again.

We were making the luggage drop in Port Everglades once when we were traveling with family. My brother in-law (who was driving our van) said to me you take care of the luggage and I'll take care of the tip.

We dropped the luggage with the porter and started to walk away.... the porter yelled to us and said what about a tip and acted like we were stealing from him. Turns out in the busyness and confusion my brother in-law forgot to tip him and also drove away.

It was an honest mistake or miscommunication but I tipped the porter and we went on our way.

We always tip the porters and will continue to do so but we felt odd about the situation (at least until we were on the ship and all cares were soon forgotten :D)

Not quite as intimidating as the OP experienced, but I had a porter at Port Everglades tell me that “he worked for tips” before I even handed him our luggage, in a somewhat intimidating tone of voice. I showed him the tip that I was already holding in my hand and all of a sudden he became the friendliest porter. I’m guessing that a lot of people don’t tip, but that shouldn’t be a reason to act that way.

Like a lot of people, I worked for tips at one point in my life. Sometimes you get great tips, sometimes you get lousy ones, and sometimes you don’t get one. But you need to learn to keep smiling and doing your job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not quite as intimidating as the OP experienced, but I had a porter at Port Everglades tell me that “he worked for tips” before I even handed him our luggage, in a somewhat intimidating tone of voice. I showed him the tip that I was already holding in my hand and all of a sudden he became the friendliest porter. I’m guessing that a lot of people don’t tip, but that shouldn’t be a reason to act that way.

Like a lot of people, I worked for tips at one point in my life. Sometimes you get great tips, sometimes you get lousy ones, and sometimes you don’t get one. But you need to learn to keep smiling and doing your job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A good comeback to him would be, "I already prepaid my tips"

Then when he says he doesn't work for the cruise line reply " then if you're allowed to move cargo at port Everglades you must be a very well paid longshoreman"

Thanks for reminding me why I don't let people touch my bags in any hotel or port around the world.

You had better hope it fits through the scanner and don't mind schlepping it yourself up the gangway. I don't begrudge the porters a small tip and most have been very gracious to us. There is always a bad apple in every buchel and it sounds like the OP found him. That is a shame. In the US it is customary to tip anyone that does a service for you from the restaurant waiter to the porters at the airport, hotel and cruise terminal. They should not demand but I can see them standing there looking at you for the tip. If you don't want to tip, then don't use their services. Quite simple.

We boarded the Regal Princess on February 4th. We always tip the baggage porter $10 for 2 bags. We did the same this trip.

As we were walking towards the Princess terminal, I was a few feet ahead of my wife. All of a sudden, my wife starts calling out for me. I turn around and she is being verbally intimidated by a porter. I immediately go back and the guy starts berating me telling me "You have to tip". I tell this clown I did and he continues on telling me to identify who received the tip. I locate the guy and drag him over to talk to "The Intimidator" My guy tells "The Intimidator" I tipped him. "The Intimidator" starts yelling at the porter to turn over the tip to him. We picked up the pace and soon were safely inside the Princess terminal while the 2 porters were still jawboning at each other.

I don't know who oversees these guys, but you better leave a tip - or else.

I think it's more that the porters need to 'turn over' their tips .... faster? OMG ... that gives me another reason to only carry on my luggage.

Small tip yes but people are quoting $20!! I do tip people but when the hustle for a tip for doing very little, they will get a small tip commensurate with the service given. Roll on Japan where there is no tipping culture.

I only saw one who said he tips $20 which is excessive IMO unless he has a lot of luggage. I tip $5 for two medium sized luggage at the curb. The whole idea of tipping service people is a US thing which I wish it would die and the service personnel get a living wage.

I remember when we paid the daily tip to the cruise line and then they gave us envelopes for various people. We had to take coupons they gave us for the amount we had paid and then pass them out to the various individuals I suppose hinting to add more $$. Luckily they quit that practice. This was another cruise line as I never saw it on Princess. I like the system now where an automatic tip is added daily and I only have to pay it.

Creepy! We've never had that problem and we usually tip well.

I want my bags to make it on board. I've certainly never seen a secondary person checking for tip. Ekk!!

Interestingly enough, on our last cruise out of San Francisco (different port) my husband went ahead and gave bags to porter. I was on a work call, and he proceeded to board without me. So, he tipped and went along. When I finally caught up with him in the terminal he realized he accidentally tipped $1, instead of $20!:o I freaked out and told him our bags would end up at the bottom of the ocean! I was so mad. He went out and found the guy, who said thank you. My husband apologized and said he thought he had tipped at $20 and the guy was super grateful that he had come back to provide a tip. I was still doubtful our bags would arrive safely to our cabin, but they did. We had 4 bags so I was sooo relieved when they arrived safe and sound!

I am usually careful to tip properly each time. I hear that some people don't believe in it, and I get it, but I come from a tipping culture, so I don't mind and always consider that when going on vacation as a necessary expense.