Holland America Bringing O’s Reading Room Fleetwide

RandyinDEN

"Knee jerk" is the perfect description for the Oprah/Orlando haters here.

"Need to be a jerk" might be a better description for some of the other comments here. Protest is not hate. Protest is protest.

This is supposed to be about cruises. There are plenty of venues for political crap. When I’m on a cruise, politics is the last thing I want to deal with. Nobody here is going to change anybody’s viewpoint. Stop already.

I have belonged to the same book club for 18 years so I would love a book club gathering on cruises with a lot of sea days. I enjoy hearing what other readers take away from a book I've read. I don't think it would be of interest on short or port intensive cruises but I would definitely participate on a longer cruise.

Oprah's book choices have been wide ranging. I have enjoyed several of them and others not so much. But some of my favorite books are not ones I would have pick for myself.

It is ironic that we have the intersection of three things:

1. Libraries are being removed as crows nest renovations are done.

2. HAL recognizes that many of their passengers are "fanatical readers."

3. A book club featuring one book and what sounds like only two sessions is supposed to excite the "fanatical readers."

Did HAL intend the book club to replace the library? Probably not, but the timing makes it feel that way.

Capstone for this thread, at least for the original issue. Thanks.

Does anyone else see the irony of posters blasting HAL's marketing efforts by proclaiming that they want to get away from it all apparently have no problem with HAL's other marketing efforts? From the responses that some would like us to believe, it is as if they have never seen other brands on HAL's ships. America's Test Kitchen, BB Kings, Coca-Cola, Elemis, Greenhouse Spas, Polo, Billboard, Double R Ranch, Microsoft, Lincoln Center Stage, BBC Earth, Celebrity Chefs....

It is blatantly clear that some posters are displaying their intolerance for a different political view point. As this reflects on them and not HAL, I am sure that it will have no impact on HAL's decision whatsoever.

So wrong. Start a thread on those other brands, and if I notice it I'll chime in.

Yes, it is!

Eventually under US campaign finance law if she keeps up this cat and mouse game about running for President of the United States, she would need to disclose any ongoing business relationships with Holland America at that time.

Ugh. Could we not discuss politics please?

I could be very wrong here (and if I am, I know there are several who will be happy to point it out) but I don't think HAL realized how choosing Oprah would lead to such a political polarization among their clientele.

Granted, I don't think they did enough market research to see how the American public feels about Oprah before they got in deep with her. After they did, things got much more political with her and now they are stuck with a brand that is seen as extremely left-leaning by many. Regardless of how they feel about the deal they struck, they have no choice but to promote it and hope that those who enjoy her will embrace the partnership and try cruising with HAL because of the deal and that those who don't will just look the other way and find enough to like about HAL to keep cruising with them in spite of the Oprah branding.

I could be very wrong here (and if I am, I know there are several who will be happy to point it out) but I don't think HAL realized how choosing Oprah would lead to such a political polarization among their clientele.

Granted, I don't think they did enough market research to see how the American public feels about Oprah before they got in deep with her. After they did, things got much more political with her and now they are stuck with a brand that is seen as extremely left-leaning by many. Regardless of how they feel about the deal they struck, they have no choice but to promote it and hope that those who enjoy her will embrace the partnership and try cruising with HAL because of the deal and that those who don't will just look the other way and find enough to like about HAL to keep cruising with them in spite of the Oprah branding.

You are correct.

I think you have things pegged for the Americans on the board. We, being Canadian have no say in the American politics and no skin in the game ;)

My feelings on Oprah have nothing to do with politics nor anything else. It's just overdone for me. She has saturated the market and I am not interested. I don't "buy" because her name is on a label. I don't "buy" because anyone's name is on a label. I buy what suits me. ;)

If HAL want's to endorse her, that's their perogative, but I'd rather do a book club meeting the old fashioned way - when HAL supplied the book and if they don't want to, I prefer the ones my roll call comes up with that are pertinent to the cruise we are on ;). And I'll buy and bring those instead ;)

I think you have things pegged for the Americans on the board. We, being Canadian have no say in the American politics and no skin in the game ;)

My feelings on Oprah have nothing to do with politics nor anything else. It's just overdone for me. She has saturated the market and I am not interested. I don't "buy" because her name is on a label. I don't "buy" because anyone's name is on a label. I buy what suits me. ;)

If HAL want's to endorse her, that's their perogative, but I'd rather do a book club meeting the old fashioned way - when HAL supplied the book and if they don't want to, I prefer the ones my roll call comes up with that are pertinent to the cruise we are on ;). And I'll buy and bring those instead ;)

I couldn't put my finger on it before but I think you got close -- it's the saturation of all things Oprah that puts me off. I never felt one way or the other for a long time. (I admit that I think it is funny that many people thought that it was OPRAH giving them cars! Just like they think it is Ellen who gives the stuff to the audience. Yes, I understand that Oprah and Ellen make it possible for advertisers to want to get the exposure on their shows, but Oprah and Ellen aren't shelling out a dime for the gifts! And it is interesting that now it looks like they are giving away gifts to the audience on Megyn Kelly's show because the numbers are so dismal.)

I guess we'll never know if the partnership with Oprah will reap great rewards for HAL. The return on investment will probably be equal to the reason behind the partnership -- a real puzzler!