Why do people post very specifc questions here?

bigwally

"Ask a Cruise Question" is at the very top of the page,

That is interesting. And I see that several people have agreed with you. On my computer, "Ask a Cruise Question" is the second sub-forum under the 15th forum down. Does the message board display differently to different people? I use an ioS operating system and Chrome or Safari as my browser (and used to use Firefox before it went to pot). All display with this forum far down on the list.

Not exactly earth-shattering. I just find it curious.

That is interesting. And I see that several people have agreed with you. On my computer, "Ask a Cruise Question" is the second sub-forum under the 15th forum down.

It is precisely there. But it is also the very first sub-forum in the second forum down titled New Cruisers.

Personally I am far less bothered by newbies posting line specific questions in a "general" sub-forum--which should be answered where they are--than by longtime members who post questions such as "what brand of luggage to buy" or "what SIM card does my phone need" or a "just-for-fun" (which never is) thread in an individual cruise line forum.

That is interesting. And I see that several people have agreed with you. On my computer, "Ask a Cruise Question" is the second sub-forum under the 15th forum down. Does the message board display differently to different people? I use an ioS operating system and Chrome or Safari as my browser (and used to use Firefox before it went to pot). All display with this forum far down on the list.

That's the mobile device version of the site, and it's an absolute nightmare. I only use it when I have no other choice.

Come to think about it, if I were a newcomer to CC and I wanted to know what time the main seating on Princess trans-Atlantic repositioning might be, it might occur to me to post my question on a site called “ Ask a Cruise Question”.

And then, if someone criticized me for posting it there and not finding a specific slot for the question, it might occur to me to ask him if my choice represented a serious problem to him.

But then - where should that question be posted? I would not want to dig myself down any further.

I have over 6,700 posts and I have asked a few questions over the years where I have been gently redirected to a better place to ask the question. I found that very helpful, because as I looked through the proper forum, I learned information I didn't even know I needed! I've also had posters answer the question in the original thread, which was helpful.

The vast majority of frequent CC posters are very generous of their time in answering questions and offering information and insights. I've learned a lot just by monitoring this particular forum, and have also considered it a form of entertainment when threads go sideways, or off the rails completely!

Vast numbers of the cruising population are not computer savy. They land on something called "ask a cruise question", and they ask. I don't see the problem with answering their question, or scrolling past it if I don't have an answer.

Helping my 70 something father figure out how to use an iPad has been an experience. And I know that I am am nowhere near as computer literate as my 20 year old nephew.

To tell you the truth, if I had a specific question on a Caribbean port I would probably ask it here, rather than the specific island port board. Those are subdivided so much that many of the knowledgeable cruisers don’t bother to check them. On the other hand, the European, Asian, and South American boards function well, with knowledgeable cruisers dropping in all the time to answer questions.

Because they don't have 2,200 posts on CC and may not have a firm understanding of what each board is about. Wait...the title of THIS board happens to be "Ask a Cruise Question." I suspect these people believe asking a cruise question on this board will generate an answer to the question. Or maybe they're really not as brilliant as you.

Thank you. And well said!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it appears differently to others. When I log on to CC, the first block covers guidelines - the first option in the second block is "Ask a Cruise Question" -- I think it only natural to stop there if, in fact, someone wants to ask a cruise question.

Talk about a first world problem! ;)

I have no problem with people asking specific questions here. The specific cruise line boards are full of blind loyalists who typically answer with bias. This board tends to have a better variety of opinions.

Talk about a first world problem! ;)

I have no problem with people asking specific questions here. The specific cruise line boards are full of blind loyalists who typically answer with bias. This board tends to have a better variety of opinions.

You're being kind, I find many of the boards have turned a bit hostel because a lot of the loyalist planted in front of their computers all day have become bored with the discussions. They jump in discussions with the objective of being an antagonist to break their boredom.

I like this board because it is less hostel and the first few post tend to have the answer the OP is looking for. Eventually the discussions get taken over by forum mold of the antagonist, but in general the question was answered by then and good folks can move on.

Burt