Why do people post very specifc questions here?

bigwally

I'm not sure I understand the dynamic where people who have very specific questions about either a particular destination or particular cruise line post to "Ask a Cruise Question". Do they not understand that there are areas of this site specifically devoted to those aspects of cruising? Have they not browsed the site first before they post?

Surely if they can find their way here, it's no harder to find any of the other areas instead (except maybe on mobile device version, which even I find perplexing)?

I'm not sure I understand the dynamic where people who have very specific questions about either a particular destination or particular cruise line post to "Ask a Cruise Question". Do they not understand that there are areas of this site specifically devoted to those aspects of cruising? Have they not browsed the site first before they post?

Surely if they can find their way here, it's no harder to find any of the other areas instead (except maybe on mobile device version, which even I find perplexing)?

Or even ask their friends, family, PCS or Travel Agent

"Ask a Cruise Question" is at the very top of the page, so it makes sense to me that new people post here first. If they notice the other thread titles, they may think they are just reviews. Its not like the other threads are titled "Ask a question about Carnival here" So I'm willing to let it go. What bugs me is when someone asks a simple question and instead of getting the quick answer, they are told to go elsewhere. Just answer the question! It's quicker!

I suspect that new users find this site to be overly complex and intimidating (that was certainly my initial reaction to it). So, when they find a section entitled "Ask a Cruise Question," they say AHA!! and go for it.

There are a significant number of people on this board that have very minimum skills when it comes to the internet. They honestly may not know to browse this site or care to. I totally respect that and do not judge them.

The awesome thing about those that are not consumed by technology, or learning all about theses boards - many times they have skills I never will. My girlfriend is not interested in social media or internet but can paint and sell her work for thousands. I can’t draw a straight line. When she looks something up, she lands on first search result that helps her and goes back to painting. No desire to perfect her skills on using CC and I have no desire to perfect my artistic skills.

The more comprehensive and useful a website, the more difficult it's going to be to use it.

For dinosaurs like yours-truly CC is a complicated website.

It took me several attempts to get the hang of it - and although I use TripAdvisor from time to time I'm still learning my way round it & still find it quite daunting.

Same applies to features like the search facility.

And regular contributors tend to stick to their favourite forums,

I've sailed most cruise lines but not frequently on any of them, so I don't trawl those forums - instead I tend to stick to destinations.

If someone can't get their answer for a cruise line question thro its forum I reckon "ask a cruise question" as fair game for another shot - even for CC regulars - because so many more folk look in on it.

So, as long as such specific questions don't dominate this forum, I do think perhaps you need to cut folk a bit of slack.;)

JB :)

If it bothers folks so bad, why do they jump in a discussion just to get annoyed. Likely you posters are in front of the computer too long and jump in discussions that annoy you just to check is you have a heart beat.

I found this is where I can get the biggest audience of cruisers to answer my questions. In fact, I find redirecting rude, annoying and a waste of forum space.

Why does this bother people? It's a forum where like minded folks come to talk about their passion. If the forum is bothering you, get off the computer and go play with the dog.

Burt

Why does this bother people? It's a forum where like minded folks come to talk about their passion. If the forum is bothering you, get off the computer and go play with the dog.

Burt

Probably because, like everything else in life, there are protocols to be followed. Call me "old school" but back in the day the correct protocol for a "newbie" was to lurk for a while before posting, or even joining a forum sometimes. This would help them figure out the general layout of the site, find the most appropriate places to post, and, yes, even learn how to use the search function for questions that had already been posed and answered in the past.

Edit: Oh, and to add to that, some forums I've belonged to don't even allow a "newbie" to post a new thread unless they've participated by posting responses to a number (generally between 5 and 10) of pre-existing threads first.

Edited by bigwally

All one has to do is read some of the posts in Ask A Cruise Question and it quickly becomes apparent that there is a significant diversity of technical knowledge, travel experience, language challenge, intellectual capacity et al. that has many folks jumping onboard at the most obvious starting point. (There's also an unhealthy degree of plain old laziness among those posters who can't/won't use a rather simple "search" feature and want other folks to repeat the same answers to the same questions over and over again).

And then there is the reality that the website is poorly designed and unnecessarily complicated. And, sadly, the mobile app is even worse due to its "glitchiness," lack of testing before rolling out what are often problem laden updates, obvious "hard coding" issues and lack of timely or explanatory responsiveness when issues are posted and the "help" e-mail is utilized, etc.

So, Ask a Cruise Question, almost logically, becomes the obvious place to get the most views and possibly quickest response to yet-another-version of "should we use a TA?"

Finally, to the editors: it took months, but you finally got the AT&T e-mail notifications fiasco fixed (thank you). How about fixing the mess that it is the latest update "fubar" in the iOS app? (Yes, I just used "Ask a Cruise Question" to post a technical question).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Ask a Cruise Question" is at the very top of the page, so it makes sense to me that new people post here first. If they notice the other thread titles, they may think they are just reviews. Its not like the other threads are titled "Ask a question about Carnival here" So I'm willing to let it go. What bugs me is when someone asks a simple question and instead of getting the quick answer, they are told to go elsewhere. Just answer the question! It's quicker!

Exactly! Can't seen a problem with folks asking a question under "Ask a Cruise Question" :)

Probably because, like everything else in life, there are protocols to be followed. Call me "old school" but back in the day the correct protocol for a "newbie" was to lurk for a while before posting, or even joining a forum sometimes. This would help them figure out the general layout of the site, find the most appropriate places to post, and, yes, even learn how to use the search function for questions that had already been posed and answered in the past.

Edit: Oh, and to add to that, some forums I've belonged to don't even allow a "newbie" to post a new thread unless they've participated by posting responses to a number (generally between 5 and 10) of pre-existing threads first.

I have zero problem with people asking "specific" problems on this forum, even your dreaded "newbie". I get much information about places and cruise lines I have never experienced by reading such questions and their answers on this forum. This information increases my knowledge base, helping me make future decisions on where to go, what to do, and what line to go on. Without those "specific" questions being asked here, I would have to monitor all cruise line forums to gain this level of information.

As for requiring a newbie to meet your requirements to ask a question, that is being biased against new members. They may have joined to ask a specific question and to force them to lurk for a certain amount of time, or post a specific number of responses before being allowed to ask their question is a bad idea. There is no better way to discourage people from participating than to set ominous rules to limit their participation. If they have a question, they should be able to ask it when they have it, not after some arbitrary amount of time, or after a number of "qualification" posts, to do so.

So, people, keep asking your questions here. Don't let the curmudgeons dissuade you from participating. This isn't their personal forum so they have no right to set the rules here. I appreciate your interest in cruising and often learn from your inquiries.

Edited by sloopsailor

Because I know nothing about NCL, RCI, Celebrity or St Kitts. Instead of letting the thread linger without an answer I’ll direct them where they can find the answer. Also, it’s a fishing thing. Give him a fish he’ll eat for the day, teach him how to fish.....

Also, not everyone reads this board.

Edited by SadieN

All one has to do is read some of the posts in Ask A Cruise Question and it quickly becomes apparent that there is a significant diversity of technical knowledge, travel experience, language challenge, intellectual capacity et al. that has many folks jumping onboard at the most obvious starting point. (There's also an unhealthy degree of plain old laziness among those posters who can't/won't use a rather simple "search" feature and want other folks to repeat the same answers to the same questions over and over again).

Please explain to me who is worse, the lazy poster asking a simple question, or the cranky reactionary who enters into a discussion they KNOW they won't like.

Burt

I think it's mostly the 'new to the forum' thing. I belong to one of the 'social groups' -- not a closed group, but not terribly easy to find, either. I'm always amazed at how many new posters stumble in there, thinking that they've found the Celebrity board (or the roll-calls)! But, as others have pointed out, it's always a good opportunity to welcome others -- and, point them in the right direction, if you can! :halo:

I thhink new cruisers do not understand, initially, that some things are specific to each particular cruise line. Thy may not know each ship can have specifics not common to all or one cruise line has one policy b ut other cruise lines may have other policies.

Edited by sail7seas

What bugs me is when someone asks a simple question and instead of getting the quick answer, they are told to go elsewhere. Just answer the question! It's quicker!

It may be quicker, but it may also be less accurate.

One reason why I re-direct people to the Port of Call forums is because previous cruisers often answer questions with information or advice that is outdated. They may not realize that things have changed since they took their cruise to the Mediterranean, for example, two or three or five years ago.

Most of the questions I see here are not time sensitive. If it were me, I'd rather have the correct information than a fast answer.

Also, if someone asks one question about Rome, it's likely they may have other questions as well -- why not go ahead and direct them to the best place for that kind of information?

It may be quicker, but it may also be less accurate.

One reason why I re-direct people to the Port of Call forums is because previous cruisers often answer questions with information or advice that is outdated. They may not realize that things have changed since they took their cruise to the Mediterranean, for example, two or three or five years ago.

Most of the questions I see here are not time sensitive. If it were me, I'd rather have the correct information than a fast answer.

Also, if someone asks one question about Rome, it's likely they may have other questions as well -- why not go ahead and direct them to the best place for that kind of information?

How about answering the question AND directing them to the different forum? Seems that is the most useful answer, rather than to only tell them to go somewhere else to ask.

Whether I have a cruise booked or not, I always monitor this forum. When I have a cruise booked, I also monitor the cruise line's forum, and the ports of call forums. I simply do not have the time to monitor all cruise line and ports of call forums that I have experienced in the past. If someone asks a question here about something I have knowledge about, I am able to answer. If they ask on a forum that I am not monitoring, then I can be of no help. Yes, a forum that is populated with like minded people can provide accurate answers, but not everyone monitors them all the time. Answers here, from experienced cruisers, can be just as accurate since they are being answered by the same people that would be monitoring those other forums if they were there as well.

Absolutely agree with this...Well said !!!

How about answering the question AND directing them to the different forum? Seems that is the most useful answer, rather than to only tell them to go somewhere else to ask.

That is usually what I will do.

But sometimes folks ask a question that necessitates an answer in great detail to be useful, and I may not have time in that moment to answer. If I know there is a "top of forum" thread already with good info in the relevant forum I will direct them to it.

If it bothers folks so bad, why do they jump in a discussion just to get annoyed. Likely you posters are in front of the computer too long and jump in discussions that annoy you just to check is you have a heart beat.

I found this is where I can get the biggest audience of cruisers to answer my questions. In fact, I find redirecting rude, annoying and a waste of forum space.

Burt

I think redirecting is helpful, because the poster will get more answers on a more specific board. A question like “what resorts offer daypaases in the Bahamas” will get many more suggestions on the Bahamas port of call board, but the OP might not know about that board.

How much regimentation is appropriate to a forum spec ific to cruising and cruise ships? If one is that busy they get annoyed to read a questtion they think belongs elsewhere, maybe they didn 't budget their time all that well on that given day?

If someone has a question he would like to have answered, it makes sense to pose it in a forum which gives it maximum exposure. While there might be a specifically related forum, he would be limiting himself to accessing just those people interested in the focused topic - while often a "generalist" can come up with a great answer to a specific question, even if it is not asked in the "correct" location.