My parents were denied boarding on Holland America 30 day cruise, need help

puffy16

It pays to be prepared, especially when dealing with the Brazilian customs/immigration authorities. Sad to hear those folks lost their cruise vac

Add to Brazil the recent confusion about whether one needed Yellow Fever vaccination certificates too - YF continues to be a problem in Brazil, even though they suspended this requirement around the time of the Rio Olympics. CDC now says one YF vaccination is good for life, which reverses the prior 10 duration. So vaccination histories can also play a role in boarding requirements too.

Jan 2018 - Brazil's continuing problems with Yellow Fever: https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/25/health/brazil-yellow-fever-outbreak/index.html

This brings back a story from a few years ago. My then boss, a respected PhD in his field, was invited to speak in Brazil. About a week out from his trip I asked his PA if he'd taken care of getting his visa. I don't know how I knew one was needed, but I just did. She said, "He said he doesn't need a visa", to which I replied, "Oh, I think you'll find that he does". Guess who's PA was sent scurrying off to the Brazilian Consulate to get one that very same day? The boss was absolutely going to show up at the airport without one, had he not been prodded into doing his homework (or rather have his PA do the homework for him).

this has made me nervous now as we are cruising from LA to Chile next year (Celebrity) then planning on flying to Rio for a few nights before returning to UK. guess I need to do a bit of visa research.

At the end of the day you are always better figuring it out on your own. As each nationality may have different requirements, it a little much to expect HAL to figure it out for you.

I don't know where your parents live, but here in the USA there is a multi-step process involved, the online paperwork is just the beginning. Different consulates have different rules. For applicants in my part of the USA, passports, USPS money order, and hard copy paperwork must be turned in to the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago. Processing time is 10 days, or 15 days for mailed applications, and expedited service is not offered.

According to this (3rd party?) website, the processing time for e-visas would appear to be, generally speaking, 5 business days, and this type of visa is readily available to passport holders from the USA, Canada, Australia and Japan.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/brazil-evisa/

According to this (3rd party?) website, the processing time for e-visas would appear to be, generally speaking, 5 business days, and this type of visa is readily available to passport holders from the USA, Canada, Australia and Japan.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/brazil-evisa/

You can get them faster, if you pay of course. I'm an EA and have had to get last minute Brazilian and Chinese visa for various people (Canadian, American, etc.).

Bit of a PITA, but there's no way around it.

Cheers,

Deb

this has made me nervous now as we are cruising from LA to Chile next year (Celebrity) then planning on flying to Rio for a few nights before returning to UK. guess I need to do a bit of visa research.

Definitely do your research. My experience with Brazil is if you are arriving, leaving or visiting, you will need a visa.

But don't take my word for it, make sure you know what is required.

Op posted this on angther forum and did not get responses OP sought so maybe??????

Interesting. Hearing the story, i was then put off by the accusatory title that started it. I rewrote a few new titles in my own mind. Parents unable to board HAL ship due to their own visa negligence - a warning to all.

Op posted this on angther forum and did not get responses OP sought so maybe??????

Negative. The OP posted in another forum (Ask a Cruise Question) and the first 2 responses told the OP to ask this question in the HAL forum. The OP was just doing as told. The two threads are only 15 minutes apart.

I’m not going to pretend to have the right answer for this situation, or point any fingers.....but it really is a sad story.

There’s a LOT of stuff for cruisers to take care of during the planning process, and something like this can easily get overlooked in the excitement of booking excursions and printing boarding passes.

Even after 20+ cruises, every once in a while I get the feeling I may have missed something and have to go back and look at it all over again to make sure.

With that much money on the line, I am sure I would have put that burden in the hands of a trained professional! HAHA!

My best to the family! So sorry things worked out the way they did!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check with the Brazilian consulate. As far as I know europeans donot need visa for Brasilia, americans do.

Check with the Brazilian consulate. As far as I know europeans donot need visa for Brasilia, americans do.

As well as we Canadians.

I think it is based on reciprocity IIRC

But once I got over being shocked, then mad as hell (at myself), I'd have moved on to "how can I salvage some of this?"

Me too. A 30 day cruise (in most instances) has to be a couple of back-to-backs, right?. Surely, it would have been possible to take the second leg even if denied boarding altogether on the first?

Me too. A 30 day cruise (in most instances) has to be a couple of back-to-backs, right?. Surely, it would have been possible to take the second leg even if denied boarding altogether on the first?

Good point, I would hope the cruise terminal check in person would have mentioned that to the couple if that was an option. It would be awful if hey could have done that and it was not suggested.

Interesting. Hearing the story, i was then put off by the accusatory title that started it. I rewrote a few new titles in my own mind. Parents unable to board HAL ship due to their own visa negligence - a warning to all.

I fail to see anything accusatory in the title: My parents were denied boarding on Holland America 30 day cruise, need help.

Basically OP states what happened. The parents WERE denied boarding.

I'm sorry you were "put off" by the title, but the OP's parents lost 20k and what was probably a dream trip. Let's spare a moment to think that, should we ever be in a situation like theirs, we might not be at our calmest and most collected when posting for advice.

I fail to see anything accusatory in the title: My parents were denied boarding on Holland America 30 day cruise, need help.

Basically OP states what happened. The parents WERE denied boarding.

I'm sorry you were "put off" by the title, but the OP's parents lost 20k and what was probably a dream trip. Let's spare a moment to think that, should we ever be in a situation like theirs, we might not be at our calmest and most collected when posting for advice.

A warning to all. Remains good advice. What kind of help do you want to offer them, at this time since the OP came here for help; not necessarily just sympathy.

BTW: Being denied boarding is not the same as not qualifying for boarding. That is where the semantic twist was for me. It was a terrible situation regardless, because the net result was the same.

It is worth all of us chipping in a dollar to a go-fund me account just to be reminded of how important this entire visa operation can be. Right now I am caught up in getting a visa for Angola on the VTA cruise- for only 6 hours in the country and I can't get straight answers so far. So the warning was very much appreciated in this household.

I’m sorry for your parent’s predicament. The title of your thread is fine. I have no idea why some posters are critical of same.

Brazil is very strict visa wise, depending on your citizenship and the passport you carry. Passengers flying to Rio will be denied airline boarding without the visa. Our visas were checked numerous times by the airlines. In contrast no one cared one iota whether we had received the yellow fever immunization.

Cruise ships will deny boarding without the visa if the ship ports in Brazil.

The cruise lines have additional rules to follow for their employees. A Brazilian work permit is required, in addition to the visa. Lacking this permit a crew member will have to disembark before Brazil, then fly to the next country to rejoin the ship. We’ve talked to entertainers lacking the work permit, they cannot perform during any leg that includes Brazil. They are moved to the passenger manifest.

Visa regulations vary by country and the rules change. Tit for tat generally applies. No one should rely on an internet message board to know whether they need one. Check each country’s web site.

Follow up with the person who booked your parent’s trip. The visa requirement should have been discussed and should be in the paperwork. I’m guessing the information was disseminated but was overlooked on the passenger end. Things happen to the best of us.

Last week when I checked into my upcoming HAL cruise I had to tick off a box that said I had read all of the Visa requirements for my particular cruise. It would not have let me check in unless I read the pop up box & ticked the 'yes i read'. I didn't recall seeing that there last time we cruised in 2016, possibly situations like what happened to the OP's parents may be why it's there now though.

A box popped up and I believe it was a general warning that requirements for Visas may be required, I don't recall that it said anything about my particular cruise but even a general warning was appreciated. We are on the Montreal-Cuba-Boston cruise in the summer so a Visa is required for Cuba but my TA said that HAL will obtain for us and charge our shipboard acct. Or at least I think he did, but now I'm going back to check to make sure.

At any rate it was appreciated to know that HAL is thinking of this and trying to make us aware of important issues such as this. I do though always research visas, but it is nice to know for those that may not.

OP's first post was on the "ask a cruise question" board, which is a likely place for a newbie to post something like this.

It's sad his parents gave up on the cruise. I don't know how easily they could have called someone--the OP, maybe? HAL? Their TA, if they used one? But once I got over being shocked, then mad as hell (at myself), I'd have moved on to "how can I salvage some of this?"

I would have too - moved on that is, but the OP's parents may have been truly shell shocked and having been in Rio if their experience was anything like ours, the check in people are NOT helpful.

they might have gotten the impression they were totally refused and not even given any suggestions.

In Rio, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this happened. JME and opinon

Last week when I checked into my upcoming HAL cruise I had to tick off a box that said I had read all of the Visa requirements for my particular cruise. It would not have let me check in unless I read the pop up box & ticked the 'yes i read'. I didn't recall seeing that there last time we cruised in 2016, possibly situations like what happened to the OP's parents may be why it's there now though.

A box popped up and I believe it was a general warning that requirements for Visas may be required, I don't recall that it said anything about my particular cruise but even a general warning was appreciated. We are on the Montreal-Cuba-Boston cruise in the summer so a Visa is required for Cuba but my TA said that HAL will obtain for us and charge our shipboard acct. Or at least I think he did, but now I'm going back to check to make sure.

At any rate it was appreciated to know that HAL is thinking of this and trying to make us aware of important issues such as this. I do though always research visas, but it is nice to know for those that may not.

The pop up box has been here for a very long time.

I remember seeing it as far back as 2010. I can't swear to the date before that, but it's been there for a long time.

the sad thing is, some choose to click and not read nor check. I still remember the scurry on our South America cruise when roll call members were adamant that visas were required and then people double checked.

We all had the same warning to check for visa requirements. Some of us did and some didn't. Ours were sent off as soon as the window opened to apply to Brazil.