Sweat Pants in MDR

Well I guess I must be getting old as when I read the OPs question I winced, poised to scroll down and read dozens of “how dare you” responses. We’ve only been cruising for 9 years and how things have changed.

Most people I know would look forward to dressing a bit nicer for dinner when on holiday than they would at home, Cruise or land holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your husband should dress according to the guidelines. No sweatpants or sweatshirts. Why does he have to push the envelope about the dress code? People need to stop behaving this way. It only downgrades our society as a whole and is very unbecoming. He should want to present himself better.

Yes, the moral decay of our society is rooted in people who did not dress formally on the suggested formal night. Oh the humanity!

Yes, the moral decay of our society is rooted in people who did not dress formally on the suggested formal night. Oh the humanity!

actually, yes an argument can be made to that concept. when you start blowing off little things like dressing nicely, other things start falling by the wayside.. soon societal norms are every man for himself and nobody gives a flying leap about politeness, respecting others and just plain not being a dick just because you can.

actually, yes an argument can be made to that concept. when you start blowing off little things like dressing nicely, other things start falling by the wayside.. soon societal norms are every man for himself and nobody gives a flying leap about politeness, respecting others and just plain not being a dick just because you can.

Haha - so me dressing informally on a suggested formal Wear night on a cruise causes society to not give "a flying leap about politeness" and results in people not respecting others and the further moral decay of society?

Got it.

"Dress nicely and the world will be a better place" (and passengers' dinner in a cruise ship's main dining room will taste better.)

I agree with follow some basic rules. In this post/question, what sweat pants is the poster referring to. I have the old cotton, kind used for workouts, and I have some modern one that you can hardly tell from REAL pants, I have traveled/wore them on many long haul flights.

If you are referring to my post, why was it ridiculous? I was describing what we experienced and what we did to mitigate what we considered a bad situation on how to dress appropriately for dinner. I was not asking the poster to explain their actions, only how we reacted. Goodness me, typical reactions on here, if you don’t sympathise with someone you are attacked by the RCI faithful.

And for note, it wasn’t RCI who we were sailing with, but their sister company Celebrity who we now find to be far superior in customer service.

Goodness knows why we’re sailing with RCI again in 17 days time if the attitude of the majority on board are like the ones on here, but then again from experience I know they’re not.

Suggesting you can’t go to the mdr in casual clothes if the cruise loses your luggage is ridiculous. You have no idea how hard or easy it is for a given person to find clothes on the ship. My opinion still stands, your prior post is ridiculous. They would be welcome at my table (and I’m sure almost everyone but you) on formal night in their shorts or whatever after what they went through.

I too wouldn’t want to sail with someone with such an attitude.

Why are we being lectured to about respect by a kid hater? Respect isn't following the herd. You have to know and show respect to get it.

OP said her husband has a medical issue. 90% of you choose to pick on them instead of helping. It's Good Friday and the best thing you have to do with your life is denigrate a stranger asking for help. THAT is what is wrong with society, not clothing style.

I thought most of you were too good for the MDR anyways?

Rather odd stretch if you ask me.

The whole- "shoes, shirt, pants, etc-" rule is a health rule. That will be enforced because there are health risks to make sure people don't spread stuff. Being naked is a risk to other's health. Which is why we are not supposed to refill bottles at drink stations (use a cup, fill it someplace else).

Offensive material- that's easy too- you don't want to let people go out and start fights or obvious conflicts. We've seen that fights on a ship are a bad thing.

The whole "neatness" thing- as long as you are not spreading filth- can you explain what benefit society gets for having a "dress code"? Other than all of us looking the same?

Yours is the reasonable reply. But sme folks prefer to always give the slippery slope argument. And they also continually forget teh difference between RULES and SUGGESTIONS. I'm sure there's a rule about nudity and offensive working or symbols on clothes. There are suggestions about other dinner attire.

This is a matter of showing respect for your fellow diners. By dressing “appropriately”, you are letting others know that they matter enough for you to make the effort. Too many people are so self-centered today that they can’t do something as simple as dressing decently for a public meal. That speaks volumes about that person and not the folks they are dining around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't buy that argument. It's another way of forcing your style choices and views on others. Don't worry about what I wear and I won't worry about what you wear and we can all enjoy our meals with whom we're sitting.

Yes, by all means, wear sweat pants ESPECIALLY if they are sweaty and stinky. After all, this is your vacation. And don’t forget your baseball cap and wife beater tank top. Yeehaw!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't want you sitting next to me in a dirty suit either. I think everyone here always ntoes that clothes should be CLEAN as dirty or stinky does affect others.

As for a baseball cap, again, if it's clean I don't care what you wear.

On our last two cruises, one on Celebrity and one on RC, I saw very attractive, young ladies in the silk rompers that barely covered the cheeks of their butt. I don't think anyone was offended, certainly not the two young men at our table. So, is it a matter of sweat pants being considered too casual or the dress code? Personally, I'm more than happy with the fact that the dress code is more casual. I am not offended by the shorty-short rompers or the sweat pants. I don't think either of these are destroying us as a society. I sat in the MDR on formal night two years ago next to family with probably three generations. Men were in a tux, women in formal gowns that were obviously very expensive. Even the children were dressed beautifully. They were toasting with a very expensive bottle of wine as their children whipped out the rollers on the soles of their shoes, zig-zagged among waiters who did their best to dodge the kids. We watched as a small hand came out from under our table, grabbed a roll off my son-in-law's plate and crawled back out and tossed the bread back onto our table. What you wear doesn't make you any more or less classy and neither does putting down the way others dress. I have a bigger problem being seated next to someone who smells like they took a bath in perfume or after shave and I don't care what they are wearing.

I too wouldn’t want to sail with someone with such an attitude.

Diamond Plus [/quote]

I know I'm keeping this thread alive, but I was amused by these words following each other in a post. GD&R

Haha - so me dressing informally on a suggested formal Wear night on a cruise causes society to not give "a flying leap about politeness" and results in people not respecting others and the further moral decay of society?

Got it.

"Dress nicely and the world will be a better place" (and passengers' dinner in a cruise ship's main dining room will taste better.)

yes. scoff if you will, but I firmly believe that. what is wrong with presenting your best face in public appropriate to the situation? I am certainly not advocating white tie and tails at a baseball game, but its it REALLY infringing on your individuality to expect a decent pair of slacks and a collared shirt in a formal dining room?

I have an uncle who wears nothing but white t shirts and faded jeans to EVERYTHING. he looks ridiculous in the wedding photos. he couldn't even be bothered to put on a button down shirt to walk his granddaughter down the aisle. ( and this was a very casual country wedding.. the bride wore cowboy boots)

by making an effort, it shows you respect YOURSELF enough to at least try and look decent.

start dressing like a thug( I am looking at you, guys with your butts hanging out of your jeans ) and people start treating you like one. dress like a slob and people will judge you appropriately.

and yes, m my enjoyment of a concert or a nice dinner is affected if the people around me stick out for not at least trying to dress the part. its very jarring to see someone in a ratty old pair of sweat pants at a Celtic Women concert where others are in cocktail dresses and kilts.

Why are we being lectured to about respect by a kid hater? Respect isn't following the herd. You have to know and show respect to get it.

Why do your clothes give respect to other people? I really don't understand that.

All it means is that you buy into some arbitrary setting of everyone looking the same.

Respect is how you treat others, not how you look. And the huge irony here is that people who dress up don't offer respect to those who don't. This is all judging by appearances and nothing else.

I dress nice because I LIKE to. Not because of some peer pressure.

Again, IMHO, if you are at all bothered by what other people are wearing, that's YOUR problem, not theirs. You are the one that has the issue with it. And IMHO, that's a huge waste of your effort. (note LMAXWELL- I'm not singling you out- but the entire group of people who seem to think this matters that much.)

yes. scoff if you will, but I firmly believe that. what is wrong with presenting your best face in public appropriate to the situation? I am certainly not advocating white tie and tails at a baseball game, but its it REALLY infringing on your individuality to expect a decent pair of slacks and a collared shirt in a formal dining room?

I have an uncle who wears nothing but white t shirts and faded jeans to EVERYTHING. he looks ridiculous in the wedding photos. he couldn't even be bothered to put on a button down shirt to walk his granddaughter down the aisle. ( and this was a very casual country wedding.. the bride wore cowboy boots)

by making an effort, it shows you respect YOURSELF enough to at least try and look decent.

start dressing like a thug( I am looking at you, guys with your butts hanging out of your jeans ) and people start treating you like one. dress like a slob and people will judge you appropriately.

and yes, m my enjoyment of a concert or a nice dinner is affected if the people around me stick out for not at least trying to dress the part. its very jarring to see someone in a ratty old pair of sweat pants at a Celtic Women concert where others are in cocktail dresses and kilts.

Why are you so judgmental of others? If I am confident in myself, I really don't care what you think of me. And you are putting the burden of what others look like squarely on you.

If you don't enjoy an event because of what others look like, that's your fault.

Have you looked at old photos of baseball games? For decades men wore suits to baseball games. The world didn't end when heathens started dressing casually for entertainment and relaxation. The idea that a certain style of clothing represents a "best face" is a bit of snobbery. Live and let live. You can't judge people by the clothes they wear.

I hope that you weren't in attendance at this Celtic Women concert - you wouldn't have had a good time as it doesn't appear that anyone respects themselves. I mean, where are the kilts? Where are the cocktail dresses? And how about that guy in the baseball cap spoiling the sound for the rest of those who don't respect themselves?

maxresdefault.jpg

Wear what you want, especially if there is a medical condition involved. It is up to the ship to enforce their rules, not the patrons. I personally dress up, but that is for me, not others. I think the guy in the suit with tennis shoes or a tie that is about 8" too short looks just as tacky as the they guy in cutoff shorts and a Budweiser t-shirt. Either way my food will likely be overcooked and lacking flavor.