Sweat Pants in MDR

Can my husband wear sweat pants in the MDR the first night and every night for that matter on Empress of the Seas? Sailing April 14-18 to Nassau and Key West.

Your husband should dress according to the guidelines. No sweatpants or sweatshirts. Why does he have to push the envelope about the dress code? People need to stop behaving this way. It only downgrades our society as a whole and is very unbecoming. He should want to present himself better.

As long as your kids aren't standing on chairs throwing spaghetti across the table I don't care what you wear. Seriously, until they require parents to control their kids I couldn't care less if you show up in a banana sling and trucker hat. Enjoy your vacation.

As long as your kids aren't standing on chairs throwing spaghetti across the table I don't care what you wear. Seriously, until they require parents to control their kids I couldn't care less if you show up in a banana sling and trucker hat. Enjoy your vacation.
:'):'):'):')

As long as your kids aren't standing on chairs throwing spaghetti across the table I don't care what you wear.

Well there goes my holiday plans ;p;p

Seriously though after reading these posts I’ve made my peace that at some point in my holiday I’m going to end up offending someone somehow. Don’t get me wrong my kids are well behaved, I’m not a chair hog and I do plan on dressing up for dinner, but there seems to be so many rules and regulations that other people place on behaviour on cruises I’ve never heard about on other holidays.

My thoughts, as long as someone isnt rude, crude or unhygienic they can enjoy their holiday and I’ll enjoy mine. Live and let live.

Edited by Ambermark

athletic attire has no business in a formal dining situation. this include sweat pants, athletic style tank tops, basketball shorts, skin tight yoga pants/capris/bike shorts and lets not forget the ever popular track suit.

even when my late FiL was in the throes of chemo, when he left the house he was dressed in a pair of casual dockers/khakis and a button down shirt . at home, it was his undershirt and a pair of loose knit pants .which were still better than sweat pants. they make clothing for people with limited mobility or dexterity. velcro closures, pull on elastic waistbands, etc. most of which are nicer than sweats and just as comfortable/easy to wear

athletic attire has no business in a formal dining situation. this include sweat pants, athletic style tank tops, basketball shorts, skin tight yoga pants/capris/bike shorts and lets not forget the ever popular track suit.

even when my late FiL was in the throes of chemo, when he left the house he was dressed in a pair of casual dockers/khakis and a button down shirt . at home, it was his undershirt and a pair of loose knit pants .which were still better than sweat pants. they make clothing for people with limited mobility or dexterity. velcro closures, pull on elastic waistbands, etc. most of which are nicer than sweats and just as comfortable/easy to wear

Thank you "spookwife". Very well stated.

Good point. BUT if this is the case, why wouldn't the OP state "my husband has a medical condition that requires him to only wear sweat pants. Will this be a problem at dinner?" And the answers would be "of course not." BUT the OP didn't. So that leads one to believe that the husband just likes to wear sweat pants. Personally, and I suspect I'll get flamed for this, I feel sweat pants in the main dining room on a cruise ship at dinner is inappropriate unless there's a medical reason. But then I think sweat pants in almost any sit down restaurant is inappropriate.

Agreed! The only adults I ever see in sweat pants are wheel chair bound. Personally I don't think adults should even be in the Windjammer in sweat pants. Not a "good look" on adults.

The dress code isn't a rule, it's a suggestion. There's nothing to enforce.

Personally, I'd like to see people dress a little better in the MDR, at least on formal night, but then I've also noticed people wearing jeans and hoodies to orchestra concerts over the last decade or so. Ours is becoming a much more casual society. I'm not going to let it ruin my dinner because at the end of the day, as long as the guy next to me is clean and doesn't smell like a sewer, what he chooses to wear isn't going to effect my experience.

Its certainly not worth getting into a sweat over.

As long as they are “dressy” sweatpants they should be OK (at least that’s a common answer here on CC). Insert the word “dressy” to any piece of clothing and that makes it acceptable. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sweat pants are athletic shorts that go down to your ankle. Dress shorts are like dress pants that stop just above the knee. The only difference in both is the length of the inseam.

I don't care what people wear, but even the naming of these pants as 'sweat' pants conjures up the most hideous image to me.

To me it implies pants used for exercise that as a result absorb sweat produced as a impact of that activity.

That alone suggests to me that these can be somewhat aromatic and therefore, unless worn for a medical necessity and not having been used for strenuous exercise, have absolutely no place in a dining establishment, on board or ashore where there are other individuals having to share the same space.

In the privacy of someones own home, fine, but in a public space, no.

My husband wouldn’t or he certainly wouldn’t be dining with me, but no, he will not be denied entry to the dining room.

I'm with you on that!! In our neck of the woods sweats are either for the gym or PJ's.

Edited by SirRedman
addition

My luggage was lost until late in the evening on day 5 of a 7 day cruise. I went to the dining room in shorts and a T-shirt for the first 5 nights, including both formal nights.

It was the only clothes I had.

The cruise line made it clear I was welcome in any venue no matter the suggested dress.

I guess I destroyed some peoples vacations with my dress each night.

My luggage was lost until late in the evening on day 5 of a 7 day cruise. I went to the dining room in shorts and a T-shirt for the first 5 nights, including both formal nights.

It was the only clothes I had.

The cruise line made it clear I was welcome in any venue no matter the suggested dress.

I guess I destroyed some peoples vacations with my dress each night.

We didn't get one of our bags for 3 days out of a 8 day sailing and the other didn't turn up until day 5, but we didn't go the dining room in just shorts and a T shirt because we purchased items suitable (in our minds) for eating in a dining room and claimed from the airline who misplaced our bags. The cruise line also rented us tuxes for no charge for formal evenings.

However, as we cross pack, then as one bag turned up after 3 days, we each had something appropriate of our own to wear to dinner.