Sweat Pants in MDR

athletic attire has no business in a formal dining situation. this include sweat pants, athletic style tank tops, basketball shorts, skin tight yoga pants/capris/bike shorts and lets not forget the ever popular track suit.

even when my late FiL was in the throes of chemo, when he left the house he was dressed in a pair of casual dockers/khakis and a button down shirt . at home, it was his undershirt and a pair of loose knit pants .which were still better than sweat pants. they make clothing for people with limited mobility or dexterity. velcro closures, pull on elastic waistbands, etc. most of which are nicer than sweats and just as comfortable/easy to wear

What value is it to require all passengers to dress up? So that they all look the same?

Does your value of an event really rest on others like that? You'd rather we all be in lock step, no variation, not one person who does not like being formal? Nobody can truly be different?

Doesn't sound like that great of a place.

Yep, me too. My son wears pants similar to:) these all the time and I would have no problem with him wearing them to the dining room on any night aside from formal nights. :)

Yeah those are pretty much dress pants. They have belt loops, pockets (or at least faux pockets). Really if it is tailored like dress slacks it is dress slacks. The meaterial used varies anyhow.

My luggage was lost until late in the evening on day 5 of a 7 day cruise. I went to the dining room in shorts and a T-shirt for the first 5 nights, including both formal nights.

It was the only clothes I had.

The cruise line made it clear I was welcome in any venue no matter the suggested dress.

I guess I destroyed some peoples vacations with my dress each night.

Of course if you have no luggage, you wear whenever you have Similarly, if one has some sort of medical condition, they can wear whatever. I am old school when it comes to dining, not just on a cruise ship, also on land , but I accept that I am a dying bread.

As others have stated, the OP's husband can wear sweatpants to dinner. I suspect he will be one of the most casually dressed, but I have a feeling that he won't care, so why should anyone else. I can't imagine that we will be turned away, as he will be in some sort of pant. I think the only rules that seem to be enforced are no tank tops for men, no bare feet, no swimsuits ( without a cover-up) and no wet swimwear. I see the signs for no shorts, but rarely see it enforced. I have seen a man in a tank top turned away at breakfast, and watched a man argue with the windjammer greeter because he wanted to go in without shoes.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

The MDR should be treated like a restaurant you'd go to on land. I don't know where you're from, but in my locale, sweatpants aren't really acceptable attire at a restaurant that doesn't have a drive-thru window.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But why is it important to you that everyone else dresses like you? And everyone has to be the same?

What happened to being a person instead of part of a herd?

But why is it important to you that everyone else dresses like you? And everyone has to be the same?

What happened to being a person instead of part of a herd?

Everyone doesn't have to dress like me. What a boring world that would be, if we all dressed the same.

I understand the point you're trying to make. To counter that, I'd ask, where do you draw the line? How about a bath robe? Is that OK? Boxer shorts? Briefs? Hell, maybe just bare it all?

We didn't get one of our bags for 3 days out of a 8 day sailing and the other didn't turn up until day 5, but we didn't go the dining room in just shorts and a T shirt because we purchased items suitable (in our minds) for eating in a dining room and claimed from the airline who misplaced our bags. The cruise line also rented us tuxes for no charge for formal evenings.

However, as we cross pack, then as one bag turned up after 3 days, we each had something appropriate of our own to wear to dinner.

I had NONE of my luggage. Port day 1 was cancelled due to weather, port day 2 was cancelled due to a medical emergency that forced us to a different port to unload a passenger, port day 3 is where my luggage caught up to me, after dinner, because we were late in port due to the medical emergency.

There was nothing suitable that fit me to purchase on the ship.

I was provided a t shirt and shorts by the cruise line and told I was welcome every where. The crew were always very nice because that shirt was only given to those who had luggage issues. The passengers? I never pay any attention to the judging attitudes of my fellow passengers.

I am too focused on having a great time on a cruise to waste energy judging the person beside me based on what they are wearing.

I had NONE of my luggage. Port day 1 was cancelled due to weather, port day 2 was cancelled due to a medical emergency that forced us to a different port to unload a passenger, port day 3 is where my luggage caught up to me, after dinner, because we were late in port due to the medical emergency.

There was nothing suitable that fit me to purchase on the ship.

I was provided a t shirt and shorts by the cruise line and told I was welcome every where. The crew were always very nice because that shirt was only given to those who had luggage issues. The passengers? I never pay any attention to the judging attitudes of my fellow passengers.

I am too focused on having a great time on a cruise to waste energy judging the person beside me based on what they are wearing.

No need to explain yourself to anyone and particularly when they lost your luggage. That other post was ridiculous. Like you need to find attire on the fly or eat in the WJ. Lmao. I’m sure none of this angst applies towards lost luggage folks. This is a rare and understandable situation.

As long as they are “dressy” sweatpants they should be OK (at least that’s a common answer here on CC). Insert the word “dressy” to any piece of clothing and that makes it acceptable. [emoji23]

I agree, but in the case for women, the word is cute. As long as ------------------------- is cute, it's perfect to wear in the dining room.

No need to explain yourself to anyone and particularly when they lost your luggage. That other post was ridiculous. Like you need to find attire on the fly or eat in the WJ. Lmao. I’m sure none of this angst applies towards lost luggage folks. This is a rare and understandable situation.
If you are referring to my post, why was it ridiculous? I was describing what we experienced and what we did to mitigate what we considered a bad situation on how to dress appropriately for dinner. I was not asking the poster to explain their actions, only how we reacted. Goodness me, typical reactions on here, if you don’t sympathise with someone you are attacked by the RCI faithful.

And for note, it wasn’t RCI who we were sailing with, but their sister company Celebrity who we now find to be far superior in customer service.

Goodness knows why we’re sailing with RCI again in 17 days time if the attitude of the majority on board are like the ones on here, but then again from experience I know they’re not.

As long as they are “dressy” sweatpants they should be OK (at least that’s a common answer here on CC). Insert the word “dressy” to any piece of clothing and that makes it acceptable. [emoji23]

I think you can add "cute" or "nice" to describe clothing that is acceptable

This is a matter of showing respect for your fellow diners. By dressing “appropriately”, you are letting others know that they matter enough for you to make the effort. Too many people are so self-centered today that they can’t do something as simple as dressing decently for a public meal. That speaks volumes about that person and not the folks they are dining around.

This is a matter of showing respect for your fellow diners. By dressing “appropriately”, you are letting others know that they matter enough for you to make the effort. Too many people are so self-centered today that they can’t do something as simple as dressing decently for a public meal. That speaks volumes about that person and not the folks they are dining around.

OP said there is a medical issue. How dare you lecture about respect, you are showing absolutely none.

I had NONE of my luggage...

We also lost our luggage for the entire duration of the cruise a few years ago (we had decided to pack most of our clothes in one big suitcase, and surprise! That’s the one piece of luggage that the airline lost! Lesson learned).

We made an emergency run to Target in downtown Seattle before boarding, and tried to put together in 30 minutes a wardrobe for a family of 4 for a 7 night Alaskan cruise on Holland America!

Our daughter wore cat themed t-shirts for a week, and our son wore athletic pants to the MDR most nights. My wife wanted to cry thinking about all the cute outfits that she’d purchased months before and that now had been lost. I wore jeans most nights, except for the one pair of slacks that I grabbed for formal night. I don’t even need to tell you the amount of evil stares that we received from seasoned Holland America cruisers who expected a bit more formal attire from their fellow cruisers!

So, in other words....it’s important that others respect your wishes about what should be worn in a dining room. But it’s not important for you to respect the wishes of others with what they wish to wear.

It’s important that others make the effort to show that you matter. But it’s not important for you to show that others matter.

And the self-centeredness only goes one way.

Got it.