Panama Canal - March 16-31

The Panama Canal Cruise on the Norwegian Sun March 16 - 31 was our first cruise. We booked a year in advance and planned and researched -- we were quite excited for this once in a lifetime trip! New Latitudes members :D

At the beginning of the cruise, we found out there would be some work being done on the ship. Oh well. There was still much to enjoy! :)

A couple days in, we were looking at the #CruiseNext program, and excitedly thinking of future cruises with thoughts of travelling with family as a large group. What fun we could have!

It soon became apparent that it was not just a small amount of work, but projects that meant some venues were closed for the entire cruise. A disappointment as we had been looking forward to all the ship had to offer. :/

A few days in, the "beautification" became very problematic, with health issues occurring as a result of fumes/chemicals/particulate - something on the ship!

I never dreamed I would spend over half the cruise with varying degrees of symptoms including sore, itchy, red, puffy, and runny eyes as well as a runny nose as a result of their ongoing renovations. :(

Being on shore offered some relief! But then symptoms soon returned after we were back on the ship.

Many times I found myself running back to the cabin to lay down with a cold cloth over my eyes. Have you ever been near tear gas? That's what it felt like at times - the same symptoms and severity for me.

It is shameful that the company felt it was ok to do this work with passengers and staff on board.

What will #NCL do to try to compensates passengers? I know so many had issues on this cruise! It was totally unacceptable.

#CruiseNorwegian #NCLSun

Sorry to read this was your first cruise. What is your opinion of the 25% of your base cruise fare credit for use on another cruise within a year? Do you deserve more? Sorry to read you know what it is like to be teargassed.

I think it’s horrible that NCL would do such work on a Panama Canal cruise. For many passengers that cruise is a bucket list trip and will be the only canal trip they ever take. Also on two week trips through the canal they know the majority of passengers will be senior citizens many of whom already have breathing issues. NCL should be ashamed.

If my first cruise had been like that it would have been the last cruise I would ever take. Whoever was responsible for scheduling that amount and type of work should be fired. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry to read you know what it is like to be teargassed.

That was quite innocent actually - I was in a town where some decided breaking windows, looting, and such were a good idea :rolleyes: - the police were trying to disperse them and one of the tools was tear gas -- there were a whole lot of people (myself included) just trying to get the heck out of there, but the gas is potent and travels on the breeze.

The Panama Canal Cruise on the Norwegian Sun March 16 - 31 was our first cruise. We booked a year in advance and planned and researched -- we were quite excited for this once in a lifetime trip! New Latitudes members :D

At the beginning of the cruise, we found out there would be some work being done on the ship. Oh well. There was still much to enjoy! :)

A couple days in, we were looking at the #CruiseNext program, and excitedly thinking of future cruises with thoughts of travelling with family as a large group. What fun we could have!

It soon became apparent that it was not just a small amount of work, but projects that meant some venues were closed for the entire cruise. A disappointment as we had been looking forward to all the ship had to offer. :/

A few days in, the "beautification" became very problematic, with health issues occurring as a result of fumes/chemicals/particulate - something on the ship!

I never dreamed I would spend over half the cruise with varying degrees of symptoms including sore, itchy, red, puffy, and runny eyes as well as a runny nose as a result of their ongoing renovations. :(

Being on shore offered some relief! But then symptoms soon returned after we were back on the ship.

Many times I found myself running back to the cabin to lay down with a cold cloth over my eyes. Have you ever been near tear gas? That's what it felt like at times - the same symptoms and severity for me.

It is shameful that the company felt it was ok to do this work with passengers and staff on board.

What will #NCL do to try to compensates passengers? I know so many had issues on this cruise! It was totally unacceptable.

#CruiseNorwegian#NCLSun

I am not sure what the reason for your posting is, as this topic has been discussed here over and over for the past week or so. I will say, I am so sorry you were disappointed and may I ask what do you think would have been a fair compensation and please don't say a complete refund or a free cruise. No one could really and seriously expect that.

I love the Sun and enjoyed my two trips on her, 14 and 11 nighters, with my elderly mother, who had severe breathing issues. I would have been upset and heartbroken as I am sure she would have been affected.

I am a so-called NCL cheerleader but this time I have put away my pom poms. 25% off a future cruise is not acceptable. IMHO, this scenario should never have happened. It is just unacceptable. Shame on NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is an active ten page thread already about this.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2616759

and I believe she knows this, seeing I was just on that thread and noticed she has been responding on the topic quite a bit before she started this post: very interesting to say the least.:confused::confused:

and I believe she knows this, seeing I was just on that thread and noticed she has been responding on the topic quite a bit before she started this post: very interesting to say the least.:confused::confused:

Am I doing something wrong in posting my experience? I thought that was one of the things this forum was for?

Am I doing something wrong in posting my experience? I thought that was one of the things this forum was for?

You absolutely did not do anything wrong by posting your experience in a separate thread. What happened on your cruise shouldn't happen on any cruise but seems even worse because a Panama Canal cruise is such a major bucket list event. It is not right that corporate NCL made the choice to have work done during the cruise that should have been done in dry dock.

As a platinum plus latitude member and stockholder in NCLH (just enough shares to obtain on board credit) with three more cruises booked I am saddened and angered by what happened to you and the others sailing on your cruise. We've sailed on the Sun twice and love her and if we had been on your cruise I would have been very upset. NCL can't undo what was done but they can offer a real apology and better compensation. In my opinion 25% off your cruise fare (less some deductions) to be used as a credit on a future cruise is not enough. Adding a 25% refund to the offer might make it more acceptable but wouldn't help those who may not cruise NCL again due to their poor experience. Perhaps a better offer will retain customers rather than driving them away.

of course it is for that, but as mentioned to you and I mentioned there is already a thread on the subject and you are posting on it as well. What is the reason for 2 threads on the same topic?

OFF topic with this question for sure, but it has been mentioned a few times in this thread...what makes the Panama Canal trip such a great trip? I'm not sure I see the appeal....what am I missing?

OFF topic with this question for sure, but it has been mentioned a few times in this thread...what makes the Panama Canal trip such a great trip? I'm not sure I see the appeal....what am I missing?

It's one of those "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand".

And reference the Sun issue, we are fans of NCL and the Sun, having sailed on her at least three times. We've done the PC twice on the Pearl. A ship being used on a PC cruise should never, never have work in progress on her that should be done in dry dock. NCL should be ashamed. I felt bad enough the last time we were on the Pearl and the Spinnaker lounge was closed off for modification during the entire 9 days. The Spinnaker is one of our favorite areas of the Jewel class ships. But this Sun thing would have really aggravated me!

Oh. Back to the PC. The fact that it was ever accomplished is right up there with going to the moon with '60s rocket and computer technology. Both accomplishments by man probably right up there at the top of the greatest achievement lists.

It's one of those "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand".

The fact that it was ever accomplished is right up there with going to the moon with '60s rocket and computer technology. Both accomplishments by man probably right up there at the top of the greatest achievement lists.

The canal is very impressive! Considering when it was built, and how it was built makes it even more so.

My husband always wanted to see it - his grandfather worked on it - so we figured how better to see it than to be on a ship going through it!

Thanks for the heads up on your experience. Reading about it here and in other forums will make me cautious about booking with NCL. Having been on Disney, Carnival, RCL and Princess we were thinking about NCL next. Maybe we’ll just stick with tried and trusted. Will wait to see how NCL handles this......

Thanks for the heads up on your experience. Reading about it here and in other forums will make me cautious about booking with NCL. Having been on Disney, Carnival, RCL and Princess we were thinking about NCL next. Maybe we’ll just stick with tried and trusted. Will wait to see how NCL handles this.....

of course it is for that, but as mentioned to you and I mentioned there is already a thread on the subject and you are posting on it as well. What is the reason for 2 threads on the same topic?

Actually I would like to know YOUR reason for chastising the OP?? I don't think you have any skin in this game. You weren't on the cruise so you do not have any idea of how this affected those on this cruise.

You might see more threads, someone on their FB page was asking folks to post to the already existing one or to start new threads about their experience.

Yes, very strange to see more than one thread on the same topic such as tipping, DSC etc etc etc.

I feel your pain about the cruise although the people we met were so fun. NCL should be held accountable for their careless behavior.

We loved the size of our rooms, the decor needs to be updated but we couldn't fill all the storage cabinets. The balcony was great to watch the world go by and breakfast on the balcony during the trip through the canal was just right. Meals were really good and a variety of food was offered. The staff was wonderful and we mean all the staff, we only came upon a few grumpy staff members(they were probably suffering from side effects from chemicals too)

Now on to the careless and criminal behavior of NCL, first, the upper decks were being painted, men in hazmat suits were sanding and painting. The passengers didn't have the luxury wearing of the hazmat suits. One of the restaurants that were included was closed along with one 0f the on-deck bars. The walking track which was used by many every day was closed at least 1/4 to 1/2 the whole trip and to do the work The contractors even worked at night keeping passengers up. There were containers of chemicals open and stored on the decks. We were lucky enough to not get sick but knew many who did.

We have been asked if we would go on another NCL cruise. I said yes because our first 2 cruises with them were wonderful. The cruise itself to the Panama Canal was a trip of a lifetime and we are very glad to have experienced it. Thanks to the passengers we met, the staff and our traveling companions for making the cruise so memorable.