Apparently you CAN reserve deck chairs all day long

These viscous board are a hoot! The only thing I stated I did not care about, is how someone feels about us not wanting to go around remove others towels in chairs after 30 minutes. I do not care about what you do. I am not playing it holier than thou. Fact is, on a previous cruise, with same family group (all us of the same faith) this question came up how we would deal with issue. I wasn't going to attempt going out for more than a ride around due to situation. An adult brought up removing towels that had been there a long time and a 10 year old grandson piped up exactly what you said WWJD and that he did not think it would be nice. Now after a 10 year old pipes up for all to hear, we adults had to come up with a solution we ALL could live with.I was extremely proud of my grandson when he said this. Yes, he doesn't truly understand how sad the chair hog situation is. But we adults would rather err on his side than the other. He will grow up and see how unfair the world is soon enough. By the way, for next cruise that 10 year old as well as 11 year old grandson has volunteered to sit vigil in those 2 seats with son and son in law. I do not mind being led by a little child. We are not breaking any rule whatsoever. I am not saying you are either. Not my place to judge you. RCCL needs a better system. Rather than tearing apart someone breaking no rule, your energy would be better spent offering a solution. BTW, I have had items stolen from pool deck on 2 different cruises.

I am now sailing on- this thread is too far off point.

I cannot for the life of me understand why you think your (or anyone's) religion plays any part whatsoever in the use of deck chairs on a cruise ship.

This is possibly the most baffling idea I have seen on cc, which is saying a lot.

I go on cruises to have a stress free holiday. Lying on a sunbed is part of the relaxation experience but if I was to get into confrontations or fret over chair hogs then my holiday would be ruined. I don't understand people who get worked up over this to the point where they will time how long a chair has been left unoccupied before removing stuff.

If I find an available lounger, I lie on it for a while. If I need to go somewhere, I leave and fully accept that it might not be free when I return. I don't find the need to reserve it.

If this was an important part of my holiday. I would choose a different ship or cruise line where loungers were not as difficult to find. I might even choose to pay more for access to exclusive areas. On RC this means booking a suite. On other cruise lines, you simply pay extra for access to restricted area.

Clearly the policy of hogging a chair all day and not using it is wrong. I believe only a small minority do this. RC could do more to stop this happening. However, the other extreme where people worry about chairs that are left vacant for half hour concern me. Out of courtesy, you shouldn't go round moving people's stuff just because they took too long get back from the bar.

One final point. The title from OP annoys me. Just because a policy is not enforced does not imply that it is ok. Common courtesy and etiquette should drive your actions, not the behaviour of an anti-social minority.

These viscous board are a hoot! The only thing I stated I did not care about, is how someone feels about us not wanting to go around remove others towels in chairs after 30 minutes. I do not care about what you do. I am not playing it holier than thou. Fact is, on a previous cruise, with same family group (all us of the same faith) this question came up how we would deal with issue. I wasn't going to attempt going out for more than a ride around due to situation. An adult brought up removing towels that had been there a long time and a 10 year old grandson piped up exactly what you said WWJD and that he did not think it would be nice. Now after a 10 year old pipes up for all to hear, we adults had to come up with a solution we ALL could live with.I was extremely proud of my grandson when he said this. Yes, he doesn't truly understand how sad the chair hog situation is. But we adults would rather err on his side than the other. He will grow up and see how unfair the world is soon enough. By the way, for next cruise that 10 year old as well as 11 year old grandson has volunteered to sit vigil in those 2 seats with son and son in law. I do not mind being led by a little child. We are not breaking any rule whatsoever. I am not saying you are either. Not my place to judge you. RCCL needs a better system. Rather than tearing apart someone breaking no rule, your energy would be better spent offering a solution. BTW, I have had items stolen from pool deck on 2 different cruises.

I am now sailing on- this thread is too far off point.

No. You stated you did not care how others felt about your son and son-in-law holding a chair for you at 7am and leaving your stuff while going from pool to pool. Only when people took offense to that did you try and back pedal to "Jesus wouldn't remove the towels of chair hogs." Which is again trying to use your Christianity to defend yourself, and this time you're "fudging the truth" while doing so!

As for having items stolen, did you check at the towel stations? When people leave items unattended for long periods of time, and are tying up chairs that others could use, those items are usually left at the towel stations. If they were indeed "stolen," that would still mean they were left unattended. How is that possible when you insist that someone from your family is ALWAYS using those chairs?

I wish pool decks had cubbies poolside, where you could place your flip flops, towel, coverup, seapass, etc. without taking up a lounger while you're in the pool or hot tub. It would seem an efficient use of space.

one of the Solariums does. Navigator maybe? the first day it held lots of the 'nicer' blue towels all rolled up. after that, they were mostly empty.

I would like for a chair hog to come on hear and explain why they do it. I bet none of them would have the guts to say that they are chair hogs.

They would probably say something like: "Everyone is doing it, so why can't I do it too?" :confused:

I don't understand why you felt compelled to go into such detail on how your family gets and keeps lounge chairs. You DO understand this thread wasn't directed at you. Don't you? For someone who "doesn't care," you've done an awful lot of explaining. You're using your disability, kids, Christianity and group size to justify the actions you feel the need to defend. I am also disabled, and would NEVER ask someone to go to the pool deck and hold a chair for me at 7am. I do not feel that being disabled give me any more right to a lounger than anyone else has. On the bright side, at least I have a place to sit while I look or wait for a lounger - my scooter.

Hi Neighbor.......Had to chime in......we live in Clarkston. :)

We have no qualms about sitting on loungers that only had towels on them. Only once did I have someone come over to me and say (after we had been sitting in the chairs for 90 minutes+) "I believe you're in my chair." I just said, " Oh, sorry! I thought those were our towels" and moved along. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have no qualms about sitting on loungers that only had towels on them. Only once did I have someone come over to me and say (after we had been sitting in the chairs for 90 minutes+) "I believe you're in my chair." I just said, " Oh, sorry! I thought those were our towels" and moved along. [emoji846]

Who moved along? You or the Chair Hog?

I hope it was the Chair Hog!

Who moved along? You or the Chair Hog?

I hope it was the Chair Hog!

Me and DH, actually. Just to the next row of towels. [emoji6]I was in a good mood and didn't feel like having a confrontation.

Not sure where that is. I'm in Waterford, WI.

Oh my goodness.....when I saw where you lived on your prior post, my eyes saw MI rather than WI. ha ha Another senior moment, I guess. Sorry about the mistake. Had you lived in Waterford, MI, we would have been about seven miles apart.

On the Allure, someone used this to claim their chair.

1e9663546949bcf3e0f70ba08836b742.jpg

It was on the chair when we got there, and no one showed up in the three hours we were there.

I have a drawer full of old watches. Maybe I will bring them along for our next cruise to save a whole row. Maybe it will look like an Invicta sale.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was on the chair when we got there, and no one showed up in the three hours we were there.

I have a drawer full of old watches. Maybe I will bring them along for our next cruise to save a whole row. Maybe it will look like an Invicta sale.

I like your sense of humor! Thanks for the chuckle. :D

If I were king of the world, and clearly I'm not :-), I would treat deck chairs like a parking lot. If your caboose is in the chair, it's yours for as long as you are sitting in it. If your caboose is not in the chair, it's for another guest to use. I simply can't remember a time when I had a great parking place at the grocery store but needed to go have lunch (or fill in the blank with whatever) so I reserved my great parking place for when I get back. It may be 29 minutes or it may be 3 hrs. Sounds ridiculous, right? Because it is ridiculous. If my car is not in the parking place, it simply isn't mine. As I watch around the crowded areas, people are coming and going quite frequently. If everyone would only use the chair when they were actually sitting in it there WOULD be enough to go around. The cruise lines would help by having a designated area where you could leave your beach bag and belongings while swimming. I've seen people stand around in the pool for a LONG time, walk over to their chair, grab their stuff and leave. Why tie up a chair for your bag/towel? My DH actually thought my idea was crazy until our last cruise when he actually watched the activity. So many people walking around looking for a place to sit, 15 people in the pool and 200 lounge chairs being held down by towels. The concept of leaving your chair for (fill in the blank with lunch, get a drink, go to the restroom) wouldn't be unreasonable, except that uncivilized people don't adhere to that, so......I would eliminate saving of loungers at all. I truly think it would actually work better than what we have now.

On Freedom right now. This is day 3. We walked the entire length of deck 11 and deck 12 yesterday and today and could not find ONE single chair that didn’t have a towel dumped on it and nobody around. I asked a pool attendant if they tag things with times and he said no and gave me over to a supervisor. The supervisor said they only patrol from 6 AM to 10 AM after that, NO enforcement at all!! I explained we had walked around the entirety of deck 11 and 12 and couldn’t find a single chair. He just said their policy is NO patrol after 10 AM. I said I’m not sure why it is so hard, every other ship puts a time sticker on unattended towels and between 10 AM and 6 PM is the time everyone wants a chair. I even went to guest services and they confirmed it. So... between 10 AM and 6 PM you CAN reserve a deck chair all day!!:mad::mad:

Lol,ive never ever seen one time sticker in all my cruises.

Ive never not found a chair either. Might not be where I want it but we always find chairs somewhere. I think you obviously let this get the best of you though. I wouldnt waste any time asking about that in guest services. Just enjoy your vacation. Dont sweat the small stuff

Now if I had seen that, I would've said "oh my goodness, someone left their watch behind!" and given it to one of the staff ... a pool butler, officer, waiter, whoever was closest!

I don't understand why you felt compelled to go into such detail on how your family gets and keeps lounge chairs. You DO understand this thread wasn't directed at you. Don't you? For someone who "doesn't care," you've done an awful lot of explaining. You're using your disability, kids, Christianity and group size to justify the actions you feel the need to defend. I am also disabled, and would NEVER ask someone to go to the pool deck and hold a chair for me at 7am. I do not feel that being disabled give me any more right to a lounger than anyone else has. On the bright side, at least I have a place to sit while I look or wait for a lounger - my scooter.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

If I were king of the world, and clearly I'm not :-), I would treat deck chairs like a parking lot. If your caboose is in the chair, it's yours for as long as you are sitting in it. If your caboose is not in the chair, it's for another guest to use. I simply can't remember a time when I had a great parking place at the grocery store but needed to go have lunch (or fill in the blank with whatever) so I reserved my great parking place for when I get back. It may be 29 minutes or it may be 3 hrs. Sounds ridiculous, right? Because it is ridiculous. If my car is not in the parking place, it simply isn't mine. As I watch around the crowded areas, people are coming and going quite frequently. If everyone would only use the chair when they were actually sitting in it there WOULD be enough to go around. The cruise lines would help by having a designated area where you could leave your beach bag and belongings while swimming. I've seen people stand around in the pool for a LONG time, walk over to their chair, grab their stuff and leave. Why tie up a chair for your bag/towel? My DH actually thought my idea was crazy until our last cruise when he actually watched the activity. So many people walking around looking for a place to sit, 15 people in the pool and 200 lounge chairs being held down by towels. The concept of leaving your chair for (fill in the blank with lunch, get a drink, go to the restroom) wouldn't be unreasonable, except that uncivilized people don't adhere to that, so......I would eliminate saving of loungers at all. I truly think it would actually work better than what we have now.

I think you are absolutely right.

This is a new one for me...towel clips but nothing else "reserving" the lounger. b441b6860e8d9832056f266ee1496b98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'd do the same thing as with the watch ... "oh, look, someone left their towel clips" and put them over by the clean towels or hand them to a crew member ... if you're going to mark your territory, at least go to some effort!

Maybe Royal should really consider the rental of deck chairs a prime opportunity to turn the pool deck into a bona fide revenue center? In fact, maybe they should make this their focus instead of trying to cut back on internet perks for their most loyal customers.

This idea isn't really all that far-fetched. I was in Vegas a few months ago and rented my lounger by the pool (front row, prime location) for the day. I could come and go as I pleased and that lounger was mine all day long. Personally, I would rather pay for the chair instead of waking up at the crack of humanity to run outside and sit in a chair before the sun is even hot.

Until the time comes that Royal considers this idea, I won't hesitate to move other people's stuff if the lounger is empty of a human for more than 30 minutes. Those are the posted rules, right? I have no time for chair hogs.