Single thread - New website issues and discussions

canadarocks

It would be nice if those working on HAL's website did not have that mindset.
It would always be better for consumers if suppliers did not have a for-profit, investors-first mindset. I do appreciate that you don't like the nature of modern marketing and wish things were different.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

It would always be better for consumers if suppliers did not have a for-profit, investors-first mindset. I do appreciate that you don't like the nature of modern marketing and wish things were different.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Uhh... "Modern marketing"?

"In fact, those that create the best omni-channel experiences for their clients will

hold a significant advantage over the competition."

--

https://marketingland.com/omni-channel-stupid-75193

Yes, we're definitely seeing a switch from the antiquated mouse-oriented browsing experience to the modern touch-oriented browsing experience. There is a definitely a bias with regard to which users generally have knee-jerk hatred reactions to touch-oriented user experiences (older users) and which users generally are attracted by these touch-oriented user experiences (younger users).

I knew it was my fault that I didn't like the website. My mistake was in using it on a laptop in my easy chair instead of on a smart phone while driving down the road.

I knew it was my fault that I didn't like the website. My mistake was in using it on a laptop in my easy chair instead of on a smart phone while driving down the road.

But new is BETTER! Anything new is better than anything old. That's how it is, and people who like anything that wasn't invented 10 minutes ago are just out of touch and not worth anything to HAL.

And the new website is shiny and bright and sooo pretty, with lots of nice big pictures to scroll through--up and down and left and right. (It's like the hokey pokey for smartphones!) Gotta have big pictures, so they fill your little phone screen and you can see what they are. Don't want you squinting at little pictures as you drive down the road! ;p

i knew it was my fault that i didn't like the website. My mistake was in using it on a laptop in my easy chair instead of on a smart phone while driving down the road.

but new is better! Anything new is better than anything old. That's how it is, and people who like anything that wasn't invented 10 minutes ago are just out of touch and not worth anything to hal.

And the new website is shiny and bright and sooo pretty, with lots of nice big pictures to scroll through--up and down and left and right. (it's like the hokey pokey for smartphones!) gotta have big pictures, so they fill your little phone screen and you can see what they are. Don't want you squinting at little pictures as you drive down the road! ;p

1+<3<3<3

Uhh... "Modern marketing"?
Contemporary marketing. Marketing of the current day. State-of-the-art. Current.

The medium remains the message.
And the message is that these other customers are the ones that the cruise line is aiming for, the bitter frustration and caustic behavior in response, from some, notwithstanding.

But new is BETTER! Anything new is better than anything old. That's how it is, and people who like anything that wasn't invented 10 minutes ago are just out of touch and not worth anything to HAL. And the new website is shiny and bright and sooo pretty, with lots of nice big pictures to scroll through--up and down and left and right. (It's like the hokey pokey for smartphones!) Gotta have big pictures, so they fill your little phone screen and you can see what they are. Don't want you squinting at little pictures as you drive down the road! ;p
The question is whether you realize that your derision is nothing but frustration and a pretty petty attempt to place your own personal preferences over the professional expertise and fiduciary responsibility of the folks who run the cruise line. Or do you really still believe that the cruise line must, by rights, appeal to your personal sensibilities, and is obligated to remain beholden to your sensibilities in perpetuity?

And the message is that these other customers are the ones that the cruise line is aiming for, the bitter frustration and caustic behavior in response, from some, notwithstanding.

Last comment:

You're right in about 10 (15?) years. You're deadly to profits today, especially

with the current clientele HAL needs to keep until then.

Reductio ad absurdum to make the point:

HAL is gonna have a tough time if they sail empty until the ones they're aiming

for fill the boat.

Funny thing is my Mac still goes to the old site and my iPad to the new. It took a while but I have somewhat figured out the new site. My compliant is the dismal roll out. Come on guys, you got to test it before you go live......

Contemporary marketing. Marketing of the current day. State-of-the-art. Current.

The question is whether you realize that your derision is nothing but frustration and a pretty petty attempt to place your own personal preferences over the professional expertise and fiduciary responsibility of the folks who run the cruise line. Or do you really still believe that the cruise line must, by rights, appeal to your personal sensibilities, and is obligated to remain beholden to your sensibilities in perpetuity?

(bold is mine) Nope, just until I'm too old and infirm to cruise.

As for frustration, I'm tired of being told that posters here are having problems with HAL's website because they are too incompetent or too stupid or too old. I'm not a programmer, and I don't know that the two systems thing is that may or may not be the issue, and I don't give the south end of a northbound rat that I don't know. I shouldn't have to know how to create a website in order to use one.

I doubt I'm alone when I say that I can manage very well on plenty of websites. And this is on my phone and on my computer, which can shift in and out of tablet mode. So I'm able to work on Android, Windows 10 with a touchpad, Windows 10 touchscreen. So there's no good reason that other sites work just fine on my devices and the new HAL site does not.

After hearing all of the chatter here I thought I'd better try to do our online check-in (for a June departure). Good thing I tried, am unable to complete. Then tried their CHAT option and was told to logout and back in. Now I can't get back in to my booking... Not good. At least there's time...

New Coke. Be sure to alienate the proven old, while chasing the ephemeral new. Great marketing strategy. Now let's both of us campaign for non-consolidated CCL financial statements to see if we can put facts on our opinions.

As for frustration, I'm tired of being told that posters here are having problems with HAL's website because they are too incompetent or too stupid or too old.

Now aren't you just being a silly, old (senile old) goose? What you & everyone else took as a snide putdown was presented so dispassionately! When I say "your ability to use every other website on the internet means nothing, dummy," it is meant as a professional response to the very absurd notion that you could ever know what you're doing, ever.

;)

Now aren't you just being a silly, old (senile old) goose? What you & everyone else took as a snide putdown was presented so dispassionately! When I say "your ability to use every other website on the internet means nothing, dummy," it is meant as a professional response to the very absurd notion that you could ever know what you're doing, ever.

;)

Thank you for my laugh of the day. (y)

You're deadly to profits today
Proof? None.

Reductio ad absurdum to make the point: HAL is gonna have a tough time if they sail empty until the ones they're aiming for fill the boat.
That's not Reductio ad absurdum. Rather it is argumentum ad ignorantiam. Your claiming of facts not in evidence underscores the fundamental problem with the comments of yours that I've taken issue with throughout this thread.

(bold is mine) Nope, just until I'm too old and infirm to cruise.
I appreciate your candor in expressing an expectation that your comments are grounded in the utterly invalid expectation that the cruise line is obligated to remain beholden to your sensibilities. That also effectively underscores the fundamental problem with the comments of yours that I've taken issue with throughout this thread.

As for frustration, I'm tired of being told that posters here are having problems with HAL's website because they are too incompetent or too stupid or too old.
No one said anything about anyone being "stupid". With regard to "incompetent": When help desks no longer have a significant number of trouble tickets attributable to user error, browser cache corruption, interference from browser extensions or other software on the user's device, ISP proxy interference, and other causes that are on the user side of the fence, that'll be a great day.

I'm not a programmer, and I don't know that the two systems thing is that may or may not be the issue, and I don't give the south end of a northbound rat that I don't know.
And that is why you'll repeatedly have problems with this tool that should instead be helping you.

I shouldn't have to know how to create a website in order to use one.
Straw man.

So there's no good reason that other sites work just fine on my devices and the new HAL site does not.
Which is exactly what a lot of people said when Cruise Critic changed its website design. It's a recurrent theme. The question is whether people who encounter these problems will come to realize that it is their responsibility to keep their side of the system neat and tidy in order to avoid encountering these problems again and again.

HAL is not alone in their switch to a higher graphic lower text (less information) based web design. They are also not alone in a poor rollout..... Just take a look at all the complaints over on the Celebrity boards!
And we could find a dozen other companies for which someone somewhere is whining about the website being broken, while many others are having no problems.

Why is it all working for me? I assure you that I'm not writing any software to get it working.

I keep a clean environment. I don't install extensions, or really any software, that I don't already have a strong confidence in, and I recognize that when I install an extension that it is my responsibility to uninstall it, and perhaps uninstall and reinstall the browser, before presuming that any problem I have on any website is a bug on the website. I regularly clear my browser cache. When I have problems on a website, I make sure that I have more than one browser installed so I can check to see if perhaps one of my browser installations is corrupted, and that that is causing the problem. This is all a matter of taking responsibility for my own actions, being accountable for my own decisions, and doing what I'm supposed to do to help myself. And none of it has to do with being a programmer, or in my case, product manager. Having a computer is like having a car. You need to change the oil every so often. Sometimes it needs to be lubed.

New Coke.

Red herring.

Nope. Eerily exact parallel.

Pull out any MBA textbook, and it's the case study of a company whose sales

forecasts showed trouble ahead, and tried to solve the problem without factoring

in the wants and needs of their current customer base.

Proof? None.

That's not Reductio ad absurdum. Rather it is argumentum ad ignorantiam. Your claiming of facts not in evidence underscores the fundamental problem with the comments of yours that I've taken issue with throughout this thread.

I appreciate your candor in expressing an expectation that your comments are grounded in the utterly invalid expectation that the cruise line is obligated to remain beholden to your sensibilities. That also effectively underscores the fundamental problem with the comments of yours that I've taken issue with throughout this thread.

Gheesh.

(Snicker) Yup, also pleased to know we need to finally get a cell phone is we wish to cruise with HAL. Who knew. Yes, we do not even have a cell phone. Talk about a luddite.

(Snicker) Yup, also pleased to know we need to finally get a cell phone is we wish to cruise with HAL. Who knew. Yes, we do not even have a cell phone. Talk about a luddite.

For Your Amusement:

I had to get a new cellphone when I bought a new car. My old one did not support

bluetoothing its address book to the car, and the car's dashboard hung waiting for

it = No speedometer.

Guess it was cheaper that way than the other way 'round. :o

For Your Amusement:

I had to get a new cellphone when I bought a new car. My old one did not support

bluetoothing its address book to the car, and the car's dashboard hung waiting for

it = No speedometer.

Guess it was cheaper that way than the other way 'round. :o

Ditch the new car, and just use your old cell phone and call Uber. Is that a great "work around" our what?

New Coke.

Nope. Eerily exact parallel.

Pull out any MBA textbook, and it's the case study of a company whose sales

forecasts showed trouble ahead, and tried to solve the problem without factoring

in the wants and needs of their current customer base.

Exactly parallel indeed! And all of that is IN ADDITION to the Orlando Ashford link. <-- Can't believe my computer said that. I have previously stayed out of all arguments on all threads involving the arrogant individual with whom you're jousting.