Cococay $2 charge for drinks with the package

Just got back from our cruise. We were a party of 14 and all had the deluxe drink package. On cococay we split up. Some in cabana and some jyst regular spots. ALL of us were charged $2 per drink even though we all had the package. Even in the cabana area had to pay $2 for each beer. I was a bit surprised since I was expecting the package to cover it. I would have thought it was a oversight other then it happened to all 14 of us at all the bars on the island. Anyone else experience that? (I also found it odd the cabana cove bar couldn't make me a Coco Loco drink)

No special cups because the guy at the cabana bar said he couldn't even make me a Coco Loco. couldn't make anything that had fruit juice because he didn't have any.

The beers were just Mich Ultra and Blue Moon. Both just in the bottle.

No special cups because the guy at the cabana bar said he couldn't even make me a Coco Loco. couldn't make anything that had fruit juice because he didn't have any.

The beers were just Mich Ultra and Blue Moon. Both just in the bottle.

This just doesn't make sense. Did they have any explanation for the $2 charge?

Just got back from our cruise. We were a party of 14 and all had the deluxe drink package. On cococay we split up. Some in cabana and some jyst regular spots. ALL of us were charged $2 per drink even though we all had the package. Even in the cabana area had to pay $2 for each beer. I was a bit surprised since I was expecting the package to cover it. I would have thought it was a oversight other then it happened to all 14 of us at all the bars on the island. Anyone else experience that? (I also found it odd the cabana cove bar couldn't make me a Coco Loco drink)

This sounds like a mistake. A very serious mistake.

Call customer service and ask for the charges to be removed.

800-256-6649

Nope, none of them could explain it, just said it was an extra service charge while we were on the island. We purposefully went to each bar on the island to get the same drinks just to see if maybe the cabana bar guy had it wrong but they all charged the $2 per drink at each bar. there were a couple others we spoke to on our cruise that mentioned they had $2 charges too, even though they had the package but I don't know what they were drinking.

I figured I'll scan in all the receipts showing the $2 charges and the statement and send to RC customer service and ask them. Just was curious if anyone else had this happen.

When you signed the receipts it actually showed as a charge (+18%?)? That doesn't make any sense. The private islands are just extensions of the ship, and there is nothing in the terms & conditions that says they have excluded Cococay from the deluxe packages.

Please do follow up with post cruise customer service and let us know the result of your inquiry!

Thanks!

Yes, the receipts show $0 for the drink cost and then $2 for the service charge. That's actually how I realized we were all being charged. Of course I pointed out I shouldn't have a charge since having the package and was told it was a service charge while on the island. And the fact it happened to all 14 of us at every bar. I will let you know what I hear back.

Yes, the receipts show $0 for the drink cost and then $2 for the service charge. That's actually how I realized we were all being charged. Of course I pointed out I shouldn't have a charge since having the package and was told it was a service charge while on the island. And the fact it happened to all 14 of us at every bar. I will let you know what I hear back.

Without sounding like a conspiracy theorist :o It sounds almost as if <someone> has decided to add their own TIP (service charge?) to passenger drink purchases? How would something like that be authorized or allowed? 14 in your group with the same charge seems really odd. Thanks.

I am very curious.

Interesting. I would have marched myself straight to guest services the minute I got back onboard with my receipts and demanded an explanation. It’s not so much the money but the principle.

Maybe tip now is 18% or $2, whichever is more

No, because the drink package already has the "service charge" calculated in -- at least the ones I've paid for. Will be very annoyed if this is the case when i go in May

I found the weasel wording in the terms & conditions on the beverage packages...."Your check may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries."

If that is what they are doing, it should be clearly disclosed in the Compass and elsewhere.

Maybe revenue for the build out of Coco cay is not far off the mark. But I don't think the cruise line is allowed to establish its own tax.