Cellphone Roaming Caution

cltnccruisers

You won't likely get a $70 charge using regular At&T SMS messaging unless you send a lot of texts. Sent texts are .50 each in that situation. Done it may times. Sounds like you were using iMessage which does use data. If you had data roaming off you would not have used iMessage but regular AT&T SMS.

But apparently the messages the OP was sending/receiving included pictures, which I believe incur a larger charge than the .50 each for a regular text message. So either they were using iMessage or using SMS but including pictures.

Excuse me in my iPhone 5S if i put it on Airplane Mode the WiFi continues ON. Only Cellular is turned OFF.

If you turn on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth while you're in Airplane mode, they will be on the next time you use Airplane mode, unless you turn them off while in Airplane mode.

This is interesting. We have US Cellular and I don't believe I have ever put my phone in AM and never had additional charges. I did purchase the wifi on ship so I could contact our kids through messenger while on-board. Unless I'm forgetting that I did which could be...

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

This is interesting. We have US Cellular and I don't believe I have ever put my phone in AM and never had additional charges. I did purchase the wifi on ship so I could contact our kids through messenger while on-board. Unless I'm forgetting that I did which could be...

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

If you have roaming turned off you won’t receive any additional charges, regardless of whether or not you are in airplane mode

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are in Mexico and bought the phone at a Claro shop so they are on a Mexican carrier. In the US, Verizon and AT&T can not do WiFi calling on the 5S but T-Mobile can. So it depends on the carrier. They would have to check about WiFi calling. They can use iMessage and WhatsApp over WiFi.

Thanks Charles. I saw they were from Mexico but I was just trying to give general info about WiFi calling and which iPhone models work or don't work on Verizon. Sorry if I confused anybody.

If you turn on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth while you're in Airplane mode, they will be on the next time you use Airplane mode, unless you turn them off while in Airplane mode.

I was wondering about how that worked after yesterday’s post. You are corrected as I just tested mine.

I also notice that when I turn off Airplane mode, my Apple Watch remains on Airplane mode. I have to turn it off separately.

Thank you for clarifying.

We have VERIZON and used it all the time touring around Puerto Rico with a rental car. We were never charged extra. This was in 2016 and I checked with VERIZON before we left. We were not charged anything in St. Thomas either.

You are correct; Verizon's website even indicates St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are covered and states that "You can use your domestic talk, text and data in the selected destination(s) at no additional charge."

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/compatible

Except I was still onboard.

I actually called AT&T to doublecheck while on the ship in St Thomas last week. Calling and texting is free in the US Virgins and Puerto Rico. Even on the ship you should be going through a cell tower on land. I used my phone on Oasis last year in St Thomas and no charges.

Airplane mode turns off all cellular, only WiFi works

On my Android phone, turning on Airplane Mode turns off cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth. One can then enable WiFi and/or Bluetooth keeping cellular off. GPS is receive only and is not affected by Airplane Mode.

We turn off our cell phones once we are on board and keep them in the safe ...We use our tablet ( not associated with our ATT cell phone acct) to check e mails etc while on board.

Is this enough to avoid cell charges or should we also put the phones into airplane mode before we turn them off.?

We do use them in ports included in our A T&T plan

Never had any issues...but curious.

We turn off our cell phones once we are on board and keep them in the safe ...We use our tablet ( not associated with our ATT cell phone acct) to check e mails etc while on board.

Is this enough to avoid cell charges or should we also put the phones into airplane mode before we turn them off.?

When you power off a cell phone it shuts down. There is no need to activate airplane mode as all transmitters are powered down. Besides, keeping it in a safe effectively prevents cell signals from reaching the antenna. Contrary to popular fiction, cell phones cannot be remotely turned on.

A turned off phone will not rack up any charges. A phone in airplane mode will not rack up any charges. Either is fine, no need to do both.

When I started this thread I thought it would be a short one basically just telling me where I screwed up. It sort of did but it seems the subject is much wider afield. I learned a lot that my grandkids probably already know. I know it sounds odd, but I've been in IT since 1979. But when I get off work I totally disconnect. Plus cellphones still count as next generation for me.

So thanks much for all the great comments. I will not make this mistake again and I hope I prompted similar thoughts in some of y'all.

When I started this thread I thought it would be a short one basically just telling me where I screwed up. It sort of did but it seems the subject is much wider afield. I learned a lot that my grandkids probably already know. I know it sounds odd, but I've been in IT since 1979. But when I get off work I totally disconnect. Plus cellphones still count as next generation for me.

The idea that the grandkids know a lot about this stuff is a meme that is exaggerated. Also this is not really IT so having an IT backround does not make any difference. The whole subject is confusing because the cell carriers and phone manufacturers make it confusing. And Cellular at Sea is a one off, that adds further complexity.

Edited by Charles4515

The idea that the grandkids know a lot about this stuff is a meme that is exaggerated. Also this is not really IT so having an IT backround does not make any difference. The whole subject is confusing because the cell carriers and phone manufacturers make it confusing. And Cellular at Sea is a one off, that adds further complexity.

Tongue in cheek, Charles. Should have used one of those smilie thingees - the grandkids wouldn't have overlooked that. ;p

• 2 months later...
San Juan and St Thomas are in the AT&T service area and you should not have been charged, at least with my plan I'm not. I have used my phone there multiple times.

Don’t count on it especially in Puerto Rico. They have CLARO, and depending where you go it can be triggered and you may or not charged for roaming. ATT was fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand how it happens with the phone in airplane mode, but we have experienced it too. I think there is a moment if you turn the phone on that it may send a text before airplane mode comes into effect. We have also experienced this effect flying over Canada. Always turn off the cellular functions in addition to airplane mode when you are overseas.

I don't understand how it happens with the phone in airplane mode, but we have experienced it too. I think there is a moment if you turn the phone on that it may send a text before airplane mode comes into effect. We have also experienced this effect flying over Canada. Always turn off the cellular functions in addition to airplane mode when you are overseas.

If you are in Airplane Mode the cellular functions are off. There is no if or but about it. No exceptions.

If you are in Airplane Mode the cellular functions are off. There is no if or but about it. No exceptions.

I guess everyone else must be wrong. There is some series of events that causes a problem. My guess is that if you power the phone off while it is in airplane mode and then power it on. I think there's a period of time airplane mode is inactive that causes the problem. This allows a quick text that might not have been sent for a variety of reasons. Most people don't mind the charge for a single text but it triggers a day long session for those of us with Verizon that have travel pass or some similar plan with other providers.

I guess everyone else must be wrong. There is some series of events that causes a problem. My guess is that if you power the phone off while it is in airplane mode and then power it on. I think there's a period of time airplane mode is inactive that causes the problem. This allows a quick text that might not have been sent for a variety of reasons. Most people don't mind the charge for a single text but it triggers a day long session for those of us with Verizon that have travel pass or some similar plan with other providers.

The only series of events can be operator error. People make mistakes. Not unusual. If the phone is in Airplane Mode the cellular radio is off.

The only series of events can be operator error. People make mistakes. Not unusual. If the phone is in Airplane Mode the cellular radio is off.

Not so. An internet search will turn up a number of threads reporting receipt of texts while in airplane mode. It may be related to WiFi being on and WiFi calling enabled, it may be something else . . . like a bug.

Not so. An internet search will turn up a number of threads reporting receipt of texts while in airplane mode. It may be related to WiFi being on and WiFi calling enabled, it may be something else . . . like a bug.

Texts sent or recieved over WiFi are using the WiFi radio not the cellular radio. If you turn the WiFi radio on in Airplane Mode you can receive non SMS texts like iMessage or WhatsApp. You can't recieve texts if all the radios are turned off in Airplane Mode. No radios on equals nothing. Zero.

Texts sent or recieved over WiFi are using the WiFi radio not the cellular radio. If you turn the WiFi radio on in Airplane Mode you can receive non SMS texts like iMessage or WhatsApp. You can't recieve texts if all the radios are turned off in Airplane Mode. No radios on equals nothing. Zero.

So it is possible to receive texts in airplane mode without operator/user error.

So it is possible to receive texts in airplane mode without operator/user error.

People are confusing their terminology. ‘Texting’refers to SMS texts which are sent via cellular signal and CANNOT be received in airplane mode. Generally when you turn airplane mode on, it also turns WiFi off. People can then turn WiFi back on without turning airplane mode off. So there’s some confusion about having a WiFi connection in airplane mode. iPhones will iMessage over WiFi. So iMessage’s will work in ‘airplane’ mode if WiFi is turned on. But this isn’t really ‘texts’ coming through.