Alaska in May

Sacom

Our first cruise to Alaska was on Celebrity in mid August. We were so pleased with our HAL cruise to Caribbean that we’re doing Alaska again, this time with HAL. Weather in August wasn’t bad. We’re looking at May this time but I worry that it’s so early in the season. Any thoughts from those who have gone in the month of May?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’re looking at May this time but I worry that it’s so early in the season. Any thoughts from those who have gone in the month of May?

I've only been to Alaska in May and about to go for the 4th time next month! (Just happens to be when our wedding anniversary is.) I can't comment on what the weather is like the rest of the season but I've experienced quite a few sunny days in all of our port stops and probably one day of actual rain in each city on different cruises. The weather overall is going to be cool and there is always a chance of rain (June and July show lowest average rainfall in Ketchikan for example with May just a little higher). Being from Vancouver, BC it's just like home so I'm prepared for it.

The mountains usually still have snow on them and I find it beautiful.

Be careful of which itinerary you pick. My first two cruises were Tracy Arm and we were soooooooo far from the glacier due to the sea ice. Last cruise was Glacier bay and much better (next cruise is Glacier bay as well).

Looking at the port schedules May seems to have fewer ships overall in each port which helps if you don't like crowds.

Most of my many visits to Alaska have been in May when there is still snow on the peaks, baby animals learning about life, frisky whale calves, less rain, lower prices, and still ice chunks floating in Tracy Arm. May is my favorite month to visit.

We went the first two weeks of June. It was the second run that year of the Great Alaska Explorer 14 day cruise. I was onboard buddies with a gentleman who also did the first run the last two weeks of May. He said that it rained for pretty much the whole two weeks of the late May trip (and poured buckets when they were in Kodiak). Our June trip had a brief rain shower about an hour out of Icy Strait Point and it was cloudy in Sitka but didn't rain. The rest of the trip was beautiful and reasonably warm.

Our one and only cruise to Alaska was in May. It was gray, cold and rainy the entire time we were there, but we still loved the cruise!

Personally, I would not let the expected weather there deter you from whenever you want to visit. the weather in Alaska varies from week to week just like anywhere else in the world.

Plan on rain, period.

The entire Alaskan "beard" is rainforest, defined as 100+" rain per year.

---

"A pessimist is never unhappily disappointed" :halo:

I agree with all of this! Prepare for rain and be happily surprised when (if?) you get sun.

September is supposed to be very rainy. The first time we went to Alaska, it was the last cruise of the season, in September. We had gorgeous sunny days, except for a little rain in Ketchikan. I was afraid to go back to Alaska for fear it would be rainy and I'd be disappointed. But we did go back, late in August and into September. I think it rained nearly every day. I was surprised that I wasn't disappointed when it rained. I enjoyed it--I got to see Alaska in a different light (literally). My pictures are more "atmospheric" than "brilliant," but that's OK.

We are hoping to cruise Alaska end of May 2019 and considering a Princess on your own cruise. It appears to provide transportation and lodging for the 3 day land portion and then we will board ship and cruise south to Vancouver. We are thinking this might give us more freedom to plan our own activities etc. Does anyone have any experience/opinions/suggestions with this type of cruise?

We've done over two dozen cruises to Alaska, most of them in May. We had one May cruise when it rained every day. Another year when we got to Ketchikan there were signs that read "Welcome to the Ketchikan Desert, 7 days without rain". When we returned the following week the number of days had increased to 14. So it may be rainy, sunny, drizzly, foggy, or overcast. It just depends upon the "weather gods".

By the way our very first cruise was in July and it snowed in Juneau. We've never experienced snow in May.

We’ve done Alaska 20+ times and have been there every week from the first week to the last week of the season. Everyone is right, you can have rain, sun, hot, cold, or windy any given day. You just have to go prepared for anything. I love the snow on the mountains in May. Love the salmon spawning season in late July-early August. You sometimes can’t get in as close to the glaciers in early May because of ice. Also if you’re lucky, you’ll see the new crop of baby harbor seals sunning on the ice floats. Be sure to take binoculars and get outside and enjoy every minute!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are hoping to cruise Alaska end of May 2019 and considering a Princess on your own cruise. It appears to provide transportation and lodging for the 3 day land portion and then we will board ship and cruise south to Vancouver. We are thinking this might give us more freedom to plan our own activities etc. Does anyone have any experience/opinions/suggestions with this type of cruise?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I did the cruise tour with HAL last year that included 7-days cruise followed by three days in Denali. It is important to note that Denali does not fully open until June1st so my cruise portion started in May.

The land portion provides lodging and transportation as part of the fare. Of course all food is included in the cruise portion.

Here is a link to what I experienced in Denali to include McKinley Resort menus and maps:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/

We cruised three years ago the end of May. We prepared for and even anticipated cool and wet weather. However, it was sunny & very warm the entire time with only a few drops of rain in Sitka. Alaska is so beautiful that whenever you go and whatever the weather, it will be enjoyable.

I went May 7-14 and lucked out with weather. It was sunny and 70+ every day except in Ketchican where it was cloudy and then drizzly in the afternoon and in the 60s and in Glacier Bay where it was in the high 30s- low 40s and cloudy.

Alaska is Alaska. What you get is what Alaska is - a real place where real people live, work and play.

...and dodge mosquitos in the summer. But that's what ::mumble:: spray is for. :D

I remember our first Alaska trip on O'dam. In Juneau we did the helo trip up to the glacier. There was a couple at the airport (from Florida) dressed in shorts and flip-flops. I think it was the first or second week of June. The weather at the airport was fine for shorts and flip-flops but it was winter on the glacier and they froze! I thought our 3 Alaska trips was a lot - I can see from the responses above that I have a lot to go if I want to catch up! I have to admit it's an easy one for us - drive up, park and cruise. No airports to fool with. Enjoy your cruise!

We cruised to Alaska in 2014 on the very first cruise of the season. End of April, first week of May. We had sun the entire cruise. It was warm in the day (thank goodness I brought shorts). Evenings on the ship were cooler. We loved curling up with the wool blankets on our balcony. It was one of our top cruises.

The shorts and flip flop story is funny and reminds me of one of those house hunter shows in Alaska. The couple wanting to move there was from Alabama but the wife didn't like snow. HELLO!