Steak-loving kid! Moderno or Cagney's?

Hi, all. I'm taking an Alaska cruise this summer on the Pearl -- my first on NCL -- and would like to take my nine-year-old out for a special dinner. He looooooves steak. I'm wondering if Moderno or Cagney's is the better bet.

He's not terribly interested in side dishes or appetizers. For him, the meat is the main attraction! He can behave as well as any adult can in a restaurant, but we don't necessarily prefer fancy over relaxed.

Thoughts? Thanks.

The steaks we had at Le Bistro a few weeks ago were better than both Cagney's and Modernos. They had an Angus Strip as a special and always have a tenderloin. This steak maniac found Cagney's so salty she didn't finish her steak, which is unheard of!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I’d say Moderno if he also likes other types of meat. Our son loves steak, and Cagneys, but his favourite is Moderno for the other cuts.

If it’s purely steak he likes then go to Cagneys.

I agree that the steaks are probably better in Le Bistro, but our son isn’t a fan of the starters/ veg options. Cagneys is safer for most kids. it has drumsticks as an app for example, and fries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, all. I'm taking an Alaska cruise this summer on the Pearl -- my first on NCL -- and would like to take my nine-year-old out for a special dinner. He looooooves steak. I'm wondering if Moderno or Cagney's is the better bet.

One may be better for others, but not for you. With food being SOOOO subjective, I would not choose dining base on what others like.:)

My 3 year old loved Moderno's. It's a bit of a show, how they come around to the tables and carve the food for you (at least that's how its done on the Star). And it was 4 years ago, but they had an amazing pineapple in brown sugar desert.

On the Pearl, aren’t Cagney’s and Le Bistro out of the same kitchen? I could be wrong.

Are you thinking of Cagneys and Moderno. They are next to each other on Jewel class ships after the changes. Le Bistro is on a much lower deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would he prefer 1 cooked to order steak of decent quality or the choice between many many many beef, lamb, chicken, sausage products that are less cooked to order but still well seasoned? I would guess he would prefer the second if he is a "meat" guy. That would be moderno's. If he's more of a quality over quantity kid, thought, he may prefer cagney's.

On the Epic last year we had booked at Moderno's. When we go there we discovered that ALL the meat was marinated in olive oil which DW is allergic to. We were going to leave (this was our fault for not doing the correct research no their's) when they insisted that we stay and brought DW a menu from Cagney's to choose from for her dinner.

The steak from Cagney's was far better than what they served in Moderno's, but Moderno's offered not only endless, but also the ability to constantly adjust tastes by changing the meat. The small portions in Moderno's meant that I was not eating until stuffed but was eating at a nice relaxed pace until I was naturally full.

I think in either case you will find your son enjoys his meal. Maybe you could even explain th differences to him and let him decide which one for that evening?

I have heard recently that the steaks at Cagney's and Le Bistro were overly salty on the Jewel (our next sailing), I don't know but I do know I intend to find out.

Cagney's is going to be better quality but he might enjoy the spectacle of Modernos. I know this is somewhat subjective but in my experience Modernos isn't as good as Brazilian Steakhouses on land so my suggestion would be to take him to Cagney's and go to Brazilian once back at home for a special occasion.

As others said if he is truly just a steak eater I would go to Cagney's and order him his own steak like a filet mignon. If he wants slices of sirloin, bacon wrapped sirloin, lamb, sausage and other types of meat than it would be Moderno's.

Is he more interested in quality or quantity? The prime rib at Cagneys is so tender you can cut it with a fork - but I'd take mine to Moderno just for the experience of seeing the gauchos and their skewers of meat going around and around and around - you can call me a cheapskate and I'll be ok with it, because I wouldn't spend churrascia money on a young kid at home, but I'd take one to Longhorn.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I would think olive oil would be way too low temperature for a Brazilian steakhouse.

Actually it is what all land based Brazilian steakhouses use, which is why I can't go very often since she can't eat anything there. We had actually been told that they did not use olive oil at Moderno's which is why I selected it, but I was not told that by NCL and obviously the person just thought that they didn't.

My choice would be Cagney's. I was not impressed with Moderno on the Pearl last Sept. Most of the meat was over cooked, the lamb especially was on the edge of well done and real well done. All of the sausages I tried were good though.

He's not terribly interested in side dishes or appetizers. For him, the meat is the main attraction! He can behave as well as any adult can in a restaurant, but we don't necessarily prefer fancy over relaxed.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Last summer we ate at both, Moderno and Cagney's. I asked my daughter (a total steak snob) which steak she thought was better and she said she liked the variations of steaks available at Moderno but thought the steak at Cagney's was cooked better and liked the finishing butter more.

My son eats all meats, but steak is his favorite. He won’t eat any sides or apps. For this reason, Moderno works best for him. At Cagney’s, he wanted 2 steaks since meat was all he was having. That would be too pricy, so we let him do all he can eat at Moderno.

His favorite though is Teppanyaki, and they’ve always let him get all the meat he wants there. He doesn’t eat the salad, soup, rice, or veggies, but he had steak, chicken, shrimp, and lobster (back when they had it), all for a single cover charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums