Emerald, Ruby or Grand Princess for California to Hawaii RT?

SeaWatch

Definitely Grand. While I love the other two ships, I really like Alfredo’s, Club1Five, the deck space just aft of said club and for this itinerary, the magrodrome. Those days out and back can be quite cool and “breezy”.

The Emerald and Ruby are virtual twins with all of the same features.

The Grand is a much older ship and there have been reports of maintenance issues. We were last on the Grand in 2014 and we had no issues but we were in a Window Suite which had been added in 2011. We were last on the Emerald in 2013 and the Ruby six months ago.

The Grand does have Alfredo’s but only with the pizza menu and she does have a covered pool but I don’t believe the lack of a covered pool is not much of an issue going to Hawaii when it would be more of an issue in Alaska.

I find the views from Skywalker’s on the Emerald and Ruby far superior to the One5 on the Grand which is a replacement for when Skywalker’s had to be removed on the Grand. The seating area aft of the One5 is nice but at least four years ago, half of the area was reserved for smokers.

The Grand has the new Sabatini’s specialty restaurant. While the Emerald and Ruby have SHARE. They also offer the Salty Dog Gastropub specialty restaurant in the Wheelhouse. The Grand doesn’t offer tapas and sushi at Vines and the layout of Vines is much better on the Emerald and Ruby.

The seven Window Suite full suites on the Grand are about the same cost as mini suites but don’t have a balcony. If I wasn’t booking a Window Suite on the Grand I would probably go with a mini suite on the Emerald or Ruby. Since they are the same the choice between the two would be by price and/or date of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

My vote go to the Grand also for the same reasons. #1 reason for me is Alfredo’s everything on the menu is soooooooooo good.

Tony

Alfredo's on Grand Princess has only pizza on the menu.

Do not confuse it with Alfredo's on Royal and Regal. Not even close.

I would consider the Grand if I wanted some pre- or post cruise days in SF. Otherwise I would choose the Emerald/Ruby which are almost identical ships. On the Emerald/Ruby I like the idea that MUTS is a separate pool and the main Lido pool does not have this daytime distraction. The Emerald/Ruby also have Skywalker's and the Adagio Lounge, nice locations.

I think, for me, the two deciding factors would be RT location- I happen to like SF and the two times I have sailed from there, I have had no problems; the other is the WS on the Grand. If a balcony is no big thing to you, then a WS is fantastic with its suite amenities and room and bathroom size and location and it is less expensive than a mini-suite and you also get CC dining! Fares and what one ship has over another as far as restaurants, pools, really would have no consideration for me.

So that's my thinking! Grin.

Pooh

We did the Ruby about two years ago and the Grand this past

February and will be doing the Emerald next year.

Liked visiting San Fran for first time and was awesome sailing under the Golden Gate.

Ruby does have a better Horizon court with lots more choices for lunch and dinner and is a substantially newer ship.

Are those ships SF only? We'll be doing the STAR, is that L.A. only? I'm just a bit confused. Same trip to Hawaii.

The Star is sailing from L.A. in fall 2018 doing a few Hawaii and some other Mexico and coastal cruises. In Dec. she heads to South America for the season. Of all the ships mentioned I prefer the Star.

Are those ships SF only? We'll be doing the STAR, is that L.A. only? I'm just a bit confused. Same trip to Hawaii.

Of all the ships mentioned on this thread, I would choose Star first, Grand second and then the rest.

Grand but not because I don't like the other ships. We did 28 days on Emerald and loved every day. Grand sails out of SF and that's a 3 hour drive for us. The others sail out of LA and it's about 9 hours driving or a plane trip. Like others here, we like Alfredo's and yes, we are well aware that it only has pizza. The other "drawback" of Alfredo's on Grand is that it's right next to Vines so Vines doesn't offer tapas. I love the covered pool but not for the pool. (I've never used the pools on cruises.) I simply love reading in the Conservatory - the name for the deck above the covered pool. It's quiet, out of the sun, and in a convenient location.

Of all the ships mentioned on this thread, I would choose Star first, Grand second and then the rest.

I agree. We liked the Star best.

Wasn't impressed with the Grand, but we like Sabatini's and sailing from SF, however hotels are expensive in SF.

Haven't sailed on the Emerald, but twice on Ruby. Dislike the early seating aft dining room, only because it takes forever to get an elevator (we can't do stairs).

We love the IC on all the ships, and we do like Alfredo's.

Patti

The Emerald replaces the Star on the Hawaii run from San Pedro starting late this year. ('18)

We live very near San Francisco and have sailed several times on the Grand and Emerald (never on the Ruby, though).

Of course, living nearby the Port of SF, we’d choose the Grand ....however, in over 50 cruises, she is officially my least favorite ship on which we’ve sailed. Location is everything, though. Now, let me state that the crew and staff on the Grand have always been amazing .... it is the ship itself that I am not fond of ..... even though she does have her advantages. I do love the indoor pool area ... first and foremost! I do not like the lack of upkeep (although she’s gone through a refurb since we’ve sailed on her last, which was Aug 2016. I don’t like the lack of the central staircase and the resulting bottle neck of passengers on deck 7 in front of the photo area. The closets are smaller than on the other two ships you are considering as well. It is adequate for a shorter sailing, though. I also missed Skywalkers (replaced by the One5 on the Grand). Lack of maintenance was my biggest issue.

On the Grand, I do like the small seating areas in the aft on the upper deck, though. On my last cruise, smokers took the liberity to smoke on both sides, though ... one side is supposed to be non-smoking.

The service was amazing ... I guess that could change but sailed on her several times and never had an issue.

San Francisco is a much better location from which to embark ...or stay pre- or post-cruise. The pier is right in the middle of town and public transportation is available everywhere throughout the City. You won’t find this in LA.

However, the lodging in SF is crazy expensive compared to elsewhere. Everything is pricey here ....and don’t make the mistake of thinking it would save you money to stay across the bay in Oakland or even near SFO, which isn’t actually in San Francisco. However, it is a much more interesting and fun city than Los Angeles, which is just spread out for miles and miles. SF is very compact and very easy to navigate.

Lastly, LA is generally warmer than SF, where the fog is thick and makes for some chilly temps. Add wind and it can be downright freezing .... well, maybe not freezing but really cold to those that aren’t used to it. We’ve lived here for so long that 60-65 is quite pleasant ... and 80 degrees is just too hot.

Whatever you choose, I would guess you will have a marvelous time, though. Each ship has its advantages and disadvantages ....but the positives will far outweigh the negatives IMO.

We did the Grand round trip SF this February and had a great trip. The best things on the entire ship are the Hawaiian Ambassadors Brian and Rowena Vasquez. My DH took the ukulele classes everyday while I did the South Sea craft classes. We had a fantastic Naturalist who did a series of lectures that were really funny and educational too.

Sabatini's was excellent, and I thought the food in the main dining room was much better than on the Regal. As you can see, the cabin was not our top priority, but our main problem was the closet was small - but adequate.

A toss up for me. But I'd probably choose whichever ship sails outa San Pedro. Depending on the route I take it's only between 77-85 miles from Palmdale.....:):):)

Bob

::waves from 1½ hour up the 14::

If we're not doing a Park and Sail at a San Pedro hotel, your Palmdale $2/day

Flyaway parking is tempting...?

Lastly, LA is generally warmer than SF, where the fog is thick and makes for some chilly temps. Add wind and it can be downright freezing .... well, maybe not freezing but really cold to those that aren’t used to it. We’ve lived here for so long that 60-65 is quite pleasant ... and 80 degrees is just too hot.

Whatever you choose, I would guess you will have a marvelous time, though. Each ship has its advantages and disadvantages ....but the positives will far outweigh the negatives IMO.

I much prefer SF to San Pedro! SF is an amazing city - spend some time there before or after the cruise.

I much prefer SF to San Pedro! SF is an amazing city - spend some time there before or after the cruise.

I will always take SF over LA but they need to give us a newer ship here.

My next 3 cruises are all on the Grand ... location, location, location.