Just off the Ruby...My thoughts

trbarton

I just returned from the Ruby & here are some of my thoughts.

They changed the Dinning Room menu as a test for Princess.

Here’s a copy showing items that can be ordered for a cost.

1A13A762-05AD-4BB4-86EF-649C11BFBE57_zps3cn8agjd.jpeg

I prefer the old menu & I was told by my server not many people were ordering the for charge menu items.

I felt that our table service was slow. They usually didn’t come around & offer me more wine & it took a long time to receive our food. At lunch in the MDR the same thing.

Our dinning room time was 5 pm instead of 5 pm which was fine with me. Anytime Dinning, as a test, was changed from 5:30 pm to 4:30 pm to allow more Dinning Room time.

The shows were usually at 6:30 pm & 8:30 pm which was great so you didn’t have to rush if you had traditional early dinning.

The ship was in great shape & they were constantly working on things like varnishing all around the ship.

All of the staff were great & the Cruise Director had Veterans get up on stage & be recognized. That was a great thing to do.

More later.

Tom😎

One thing I've always liked about Princess is that there was a late show that suited late traditional diners. I hate rushing to get changed in the evenings to go to a show before dinner. If the latest show is 8:30pm I won't be a happy cruiser!

One thing I've always liked about Princess is that there was a late show that suited late traditional diners. I hate rushing to get changed in the evenings to go to a show before dinner. If the latest show is 8:30pm I won't be a happy cruiser!

Totally agree with you. On our March CB cruise these were the show times. We were told it was because there were many elites (not sure what that has to do with it) and there was an older demographic.

I think this stinks. We always have dinner around 8:00 or even a bit later and have no desire to go to a show before dinner. That's the cocktail hour. The old schedule allows everyone enough time to have a reasonably leisurely dinner and still make a show.

If this is the future on all ships I think I'll take my $23.46 case of bottled water and watch the ocean. ;p;p

My 2 Cents.

I have a question. We’re there many people in the DR at 4:30 p.m. this seams way to early. I would refuse to go at that time if I had confirmed seating at 5:30 p.m.

Tony

Tony,

I had traditional dinning & the anytime dinning started at 4:30 pm. Since I didn’t use that I’m not sure what the results were. Perhaps someone on the Ruby now can research your question. My traditional dinning was changed to 5 pm but we were told to come at our original 5:30 pm if we preferred.

Tom😎

Thanks Tom & it was nice that they recognized veterans...who was the CD?

Cruise Director, Peter-John De Koch, from South Africa. He’s a new Cruise Director, only been with Princess a few months. He goes by the initials PJ.

Here’s the first day Patter with officers.

A2C97737-E619-4D2C-8459-92D14E7B0142_zpsbnmwlkxf.jpeg

Tom😎

We sailed on the Ruby the first week the initiated the new menus...The food was excellent in the dining room...however, they do not place butter at the table..you need to ask for it and they "dole" it out...not happy about that..also they out some flavored butter on the table and every night it is a new flavor...I prefer plain old ordinary butter and not having to ask for it each time I need a pat...Also had anytime dining and could not get in at 5 or 5 30...we switched to 5 30 set dining time and it worked out much better...The scheduling of shows and games seem to be off....they need to work on that so everyone has a chance to see and participate...We also had P.J. and his staff....his staff was better than he was....LOL...the buffet food seems to have gone downhill (we are elite guests with Princess)...All in all I still prefer Princess to other cruiselines..but maybe not as often as in the past...

Why would anyone pay the extra cost for a Crown Grill item in the regular dining venues. If I wanted a steak from Crown Grill I would just eat there and enjoy the quiet ambiance as I enjoy my dinner.

I asked the F&B director about this, and he said many people want the upscale entree without paying for the full meal at the Crown

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Re the butter issue:

At our Meet & Greet it was explained that they were throwing away a lot of unused butter, thus a lot of waste.

No problems if you have to ask, especially if it cuts down on waste.

Tom😎

Re the butter issue:

At our Meet & Greet it was explained that they were throwing away a lot of unused butter, thus a lot of waste.

No problems if you have to ask, especially if it cuts down on waste.

Tom😎

No problem maybe, unless they have the usual too many tables to service, and you have to wait 20 minutes for them to go get your butter. By then the baked potato would be cold. It would be fine if it is kept at the service station, and they did not have to go to the kitchen to get it.

I asked the F&B director about this, and he said many people want the upscale entree without paying for the full meal at the Crown

Apparently either the F&B has a marketing background or is merely repeating the corporate line.

It’s more likely that after lowering the beef & lobster quality they’re hoping that passengers will pay $19-$29 for better quality. And even in the Crown Grill the beef & lobster is now too often disappointing so won’t pay for it in the MDR.

Paying for better food has been done on Carnival & RCI and like many other recent changes, Princess is becoming more of a follower than a leader.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

I actually love this. My mom is someone who wants the value of every dollar fulfilled, and we made the choice of NOT going to Share because she did not feel she could eat six courses, and she is also very picky. She has a very norther chinese palate and can’t handle most cheeses, sugars, or western favorites. Quite frankly, I think she’s just freaking picky but YMMV. We would have loved to have the option to pay for entrees in the MDR while she ate as little as she liked.

.Also had anytime dining and could not get in at 5 or 5 30...we switched to 5 30 set dining time and it worked out much better......

We like to eat "around 5:30-ish" and have always done Early Traditional but have found that sometimes (particularly port days) being there by 5:30 was a challenge. So we've switched to Anytime for our upcoming cruise on Ruby

Just a question about your experience with getting an anytime at 5 - 5:30.

Were you requesting a table for two-only or were you willing to sit with others at a larger table?

I just returned from the Ruby & here are some of my thoughts.

They changed the Dinning Room menu as a test for Princess.

Here’s a copy showing items that can be ordered for a cost.

1A13A762-05AD-4BB4-86EF-649C11BFBE57_zps3cn8agjd.jpeg

I prefer the old menu & I was told by my server not many people were ordering the for charge menu items.

I felt that our table service was slow. They usually didn’t come around & offer me more wine & it took a long time to receive our food. At lunch in the MDR the same thing.

Our dinning room time was 5 pm instead of 5 pm which was fine with me. Anytime Dinning, as a test, was changed from 5:30 pm to 4:30 pm to allow more Dinning Room time.

The shows were usually at 6:30 pm & 8:30 pm which was great so you didn’t have to rush if you had traditional early dinning.

The ship was in great shape & they were constantly working on things like varnishing all around the ship.

All of the staff were great & the Cruise Director had Veterans get up on stage & be recognized. That was a great thing to do.

More later.

Tom😎

The Crown Grill Sterling silver steak cuts tell me nothing! Cuts of beef are graded as follows: Prime/Choice/Select/Standard & lower if you really want to go all the way to "Canning"!(yes, that's a grade of beef) I would hope the cuts are at least Choice. Saying "the finest center cuts" really says nothing about true quality. It's like looking at "Omaha Steaks". They never really tell you the USDA grade. I found the cuts of beef on the Regal Princess to be "Select" at it's best & even there I had my doubts. I really think they were "Standard".

We like to eat "around 5:30-ish" and have always done Early Traditional but have found that sometimes (particularly port days) being there by 5:30 was a challenge. So we've switched to Anytime for our upcoming cruise on Ruby

Just a question about your experience with getting an anytime at 5 - 5:30.

Were you requesting a table for two-only or were you willing to sit with others at a larger table?

I wanted to sit at a table with other people. At times other than dinner there often a long line of people waiting for a table for 2.

Tom😎

I have a question. We’re there many people in the DR at 4:30 p.m. this seams way to early. I would refuse to go at that time if I had confirmed seating at 5:30 p.m.

Tony

Here's the thing about that "early dining".....time change. 4:30 say, in Alaska is 7:30 back home. Doesn't alter the fact that I and DW are old geezers...but at least if we decide to eat at 4:30 - we have a plausible excuse. :D

It has been our experience that there have been lots of Elite on this cruise-Any idea of how many and number of days for MTP? Thanks. PS Do I see you on the roll call for the Majestic next March?

The most traveled person was Mrs. Schwartz from Sacramento with 2,223 days with Princess.

I’m not sure of how many Elites on our cruise a good question to post on the Roll Call for our cruise.

Yes I’m the same trbarton on the Majestic next March.

Tom😎

I was on this cruise and I liked that I could order from the CG and did one night. I wanted a steak because the regular menu didn't really have anything that was interesting to me and my husband wasn't really interested in doing a CG dinner. It's a great compromise.

We were in a suite so we did Club Class every night except the first night. I will say service was slow that first night. Timing was really off and it was tough trying to get coffee with my dessert. I finally just gave up and had water