Cruise sold out

lbfluffy

When we had a cruise canceled due to a charter (on another line, but gives you a comparison point) we were offered a very generous price reduction on any cruise we wished to book of the same length or shorter within 12 months.

The benefit to the cruise line is that they have sold out the ship for a good rate--possibly more than they'd get if the cruise didn't sell out and they offered last minute rates to sell cabins. I'm sure they built enough money into the contract to compensate those booked passengers who had to move to another cruise.

I'm with the others here. It is far worse to be on a cruise with one or two large groups than to have a group charter a ship and effectively cancel your cruise. Large groups have a tendency to think they own the ship. I have no problem with them closing certain venues so they can do their private activities, but they also tend to take over many public spaces and make things uncomfortable for people who are not part of their groups.

When we had a cruise canceled due to a charter (on another line' date=' but gives you a comparison point) we were offered a very generous price reduction on any cruise we wished to book of the same length or shorter within 12 months.

The benefit to the cruise line is that they have sold out the ship for a good rate--possibly more than they'd get if the cruise didn't sell out and they offered last minute rates to sell cabins. I'm sure they built enough money into the contract to compensate those booked passengers who had to move to another cruise.

I'm with the others here. It is far worse to be on a cruise with one or two large groups than to have a group charter a ship and effectively cancel your cruise. Large groups have a tendency to think they own the ship. I have no problem with them closing certain venues so they can do their private activities, but they also tend to take over many public spaces and make things uncomfortable for people who are not part of their groups.[/quote']

That would be fine with me...but how far in advance do they let you know ? Today I booked Jan 2019 and March 2019 as a backup I will decide later witch one I'll keep. On the December Cruise I got an amazing price for the Grand Suite . The new cruises I booked today are a lot higher.

That would be fine with me...but how far in advance do they let you know ? Today I booked Jan 2019 and March 2019 as a backup I will decide later witch one I'll keep. On the December Cruise I got an amazing price for the Grand Suite . The new cruises I booked today are a lot higher.

Charters are usually committed by 10 or 11 months from sailing date...rarely closer to sailing than that. My guess is your ships won't be chartered.

I believe that they let us know virtually as soon as the charter contract was signed. The cruise disappeared from the web site and that same day we were contacted.

I am surprised our December 3rd cruise on the Grand to Mexico is sold out. Every cruise I’ve been on did not sell out till after final payment. I guess I won’t be trying to convince my friend to book. She was hesitant because she’s single and didn’t want to pay the extra cost for a single.

There is supposedly a cutoff date for travel agents to return unsold cabins so some might free up. Further, because it is a few months or more away - some people need to cancel for personal reasons. Just wait it out

:):)

Princess very, very rarely charters ships outside of the Asia market (mainly China), so I would not think this voyage would be canceled for a charter.

It is going to be cancelled due to a charter. I would contact your travel agency or Princess if you are booked on this.

Princess does do charters in North America.

Lots of good information. I like the idea of looking at particular sailing from both the one before and one after to see if you can bridge one or the other with the one you want that might be sold out. (long sentence) Fortunately for us, we have a terrific Princess Vacation Planner who knows how to work the system and get us what we want.

We're also on this sailing. (more than 7 months away) I noticed this the other day and called Princess; was told all is ok and cruise has not been cancelled or anything. I booked thru a warehouse store travel dept - their website does not even show this cruise anymore and neither does a roadside assistance travel dept website I've used in the past. The agency I booked thru called Princess and was also told it was sold out and that I would get an email if something changes. It is way too early for this to be sold out - the exact same cruise 10 days later still shows the majority of staterooms still available. When I've seen cruises that were showing sold out before they actually say sold out in each of the room categories and there is also a notation that says 'This cruise is sold out'. Something is definitely going on. We booked this last July under the Sip and Sail and also was able to book one of the completely covered mini suites so I really hope all is ok but I doubt it.

Resolved !

When attempting to make a TA booking via POLAR for this sailing , this message appears :

Voyage Comments VOYAGE TO BE CANCELLED - CHARTER

That's certainly the direction it appeared to be going.

As mentioned, we had a sailing canceled for a charter before and while others on our roll call were mad as could be, we stuck with the offer and boy, was that ever a fun cruise and at bargain basement prices. We even went from an inside to a family suite for no charge. I'm not saying you will find such generosity on every move over but we decided to make lemonade out of lemons and boy, did it ever work out for us.

The other cruise that I mentioned that was canceled only offered us $25 per cabin to switch so we declined.

Hope the people on this sailing experience something similar to the first scenario vs the second one.

That's certainly the direction it appeared to be going.

As mentioned, we had a sailing canceled for a charter before and while others on our roll call were mad as could be, we stuck with the offer and boy, was that ever a fun cruise and at bargain basement prices. We even went from an inside to a family suite for no charge. I'm not saying you will find such generosity on every move over but we decided to make lemonade out of lemons and boy, did it ever work out for us.

The other cruise that I mentioned that was canceled only offered us $25 per cabin to switch so we declined.

Hope the people on this sailing experience something similar to the first scenario vs the second one.

If you are booked , do not cancel , wait for the Princess Offer to rebook another cruise.

If you are booked , do not cancel , wait for the Princess Offer to rebook another cruise.

I agree!! Have one in mind that you'd like to go on if you choose to switch to a another sailing. If the offer isn't good, you can always cancel at that time. Since it isn't all that far off, they may even help out with any airline change fees (if applicable).

While we didn't book this sailing, there are a few cruises we're booked on with Princess that are pretty close to being sold out. We were investigating this sailing that was just chartered as one we'd like to move to in case we receive a move over offer ... that's another topic altogether, though!

We are booked in the Grand Suite on this cruise, when I smelled something fishy I booked two other cruises just in case, so will I be able to use the cancellation offer for one of the new cruise?

You'll have to see what they say. Many times, their offers are on new cruise bookings only, but it gives you a point to discuss!

Correct--do nothing until Princess contacts you. Then evaluate what they are offering.

Lately, their offers have been pretty pathetic - like $25 or so. I will be curious if they offer to cover air change fees.

I agree with others, don't cancel and wait for them to come to you.

Not sure if this is the same situation, but when we got our move over offer from a sold out cruise ( not charter ) - we went from a 5 day to a 7 day a week later, kept the prepaid grats, no upcharge for port fees, or insurance - and got back 100% ( $888 total ) as refundable onboard credit on our 7 day cruise

Not sure if this is the same situation, but when we got our move over offer from a sold out cruise ( not charter ) - we went from a 5 day to a 7 day a week later, kept the prepaid grats, no upcharge for port fees, or insurance - and got back 100% ( $888 total ) as refundable onboard credit on our 7 day cruise

This is not the same situation. This is a cruise that is being cancelled 7 months out. They are not going to treat it the same.

We had a cruise cancelled months in advance. We were given $50 if we switched to one specific sailing. No other sailings applied.

This is not the same situation. This is a cruise that is being cancelled 7 months out. They are not going to treat it the same.

We had a cruise cancelled months in advance. We were given $50 if we switched to one specific sailing. No other sailings applied.

OK, thanks...