looking for Hawaii cruise help

dznypal

we are thinking of going to Hawaii for out 40th anniversary next year--we have been to Hawaii several times but this time were thinking of a cruise

first were looking for a good cruise line--weve done DCL and RC and years ago Preiemer

are there any that spend like 2 days on an island-says dock on Mon -Mon night and not leave till say Tues night--so we have some time to do a few tours--weve done cruises to Europe and since you sail at night every morning your in a different city--so you really have to pick the best tour since you only have time for one

hope that all makes sense--

even though weve been there a few times theres still things we didnt get to do and some things wed like to do again--

any other tips or advice would be great thanks all

Pride of America sails the islands. its an all American crew and the service and standards are reflected in that. if you want to do the islands right, its far better to a land tour. daily puddle jumpers run to all the islands and are cheap.

maybe by then Pele will have stopped her temper tantrum and the Big Island will be safe to visit again.

As far as I know, only NCL's POA does overnights. They do a full two days (dock in morning, leave next evening) in Maui, and a day and a half in Kauai. You could also get off the ship in Kona (though it is a tender port) and reboard the next day in Hilo.

As far as I know, only NCL's POA does overnights. They do a full two days (dock in morning, leave next evening) in Maui, and a day and a half in Kauai. You could also get off the ship in Kona (though it is a tender port) and reboard the next day in Hilo.

Actually a couple do 2 nights in Honolulu (HAL for example), and a couple do two nights at Lahaina (RCI or Celebrity IIRC). But none do as much as POA.

One other thing to consider = the Pride of America is the only ship based in Hawaii. Unlike all the others which are sailing round trip from the west coast. With the POA you would fly to Hawaii for a 7night cruise and then fly back.

A couple of the Celebrity one-way trips (mentioned in Post #3)...do an overnight in Lahaina, Maui...which allows folks to partake of 2 popular tours/outings...You can enjoy a Luau the first evening, and then, if you don't mind little (or no sleep), get up hours before the crack of dawn the next day and take a tour to the summit of Mt Haleakala and watch the sunrise from above the clouds, and bicycle down ! Fun !!

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

With all due respect, the POA does Hilo before Kona. You could get off the ship in Hilo and try to reboard the next day in Kona, but that is up to the weather and seas allowing tender service, as you know. You might get stuck having to fly to Kauai to catch the ship on Thursday. Not fun nor inexpensive.

One other thing to consider = the Pride of America is the only ship based in Hawaii. Unlike all the others which are sailing round trip from the west coast. With the POA you would fly to Hawaii for a 7night cruise and then fly back.

Ditto. DW and I had visiting Hawaii on our bucket list and a friend of mine who was born and raised on the main island suggested we take a 7 day cruise. We cruised on NCL Pride of America and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise/ports. If I had to make the decision again, I'd definitely do this cruise.

A couple of the Celebrity one-way trips (mentioned in Post #3)...do an overnight in Lahaina, Maui...which allows folks to partake of 2 popular tours/outings...You can enjoy a Luau the first evening, and then, if you don't mind little (or no sleep), get up hours before the crack of dawn the next day and take a tour to the summit of Mt Haleakala and watch the sunrise from above the clouds, and bicycle down ! Fun !!

BBL

not so much fun. My mother died on that bicycle tour 20 years ago. one hopes that in the years since they have improved the safety of the trail.

This doesn't always work.

Our POA cruise years ago (when NCL America had 3 Hawaii ships ) skipped Kona last minute ( Kona was after Hilo on that sailing) .

not so much fun. My mother died on that bicycle tour 20 years ago. one hopes that in the years since they have improved the safety of the trail.

I’m sorry to read this.

That ride is dangerous, and I wouldn’t recommend anyone do it.

According to the news, The Pride of America will not be stopping at Hilo at the moment due to the Volcano. No one knows when the activity will stop so keep that in mind when you book. Also, Volcano National Park will be closed for ( what the press is saying ) a long time.

The Big Island is still safe to visit. The volcano is only affecting a very small part of it.

It may be a small part, but Princess has announced they will be skipping the port of Hilo too. That makes ( I believe ) 3 Cruise lines now. The problem is, the volcano is unpredictable.