Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

And there you go. :D

HAL's written dress code and what happens on each ship can and will vary. ;)

I hope you had a great cruise Sheila!

Thank you! Yes, we did. Our 50th anniversary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh honey...if you only knew how non-provoked I feel, and how little I care. We are going on vacation to have fun and relax. I actually came on this site to do some research, but it turns out to have been a ton of laughs among me and my friends, not to mention a fascinating sociological study. It's like Lord of the Flies up in here.

Look, by the time we get on the ship, we will have taken planes, trains, busses, and cabs. We're taking three weeks off of work and spending no small amount of money to see some really cool things, have some spouse's together time, relax, and LAUGH.

Y'all need to acquire some humor and perspective, and get over yourselves. You're nuts if ...

Your prior post had a different tone. No problem.

Lord of the Flies, I tell you. Fascinating.
Yes, you are correct that the are a group of traditionalists who group together to try to browbeat away less traditional perspectives they don't like. You can call out their behavior without getting crass.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Why on earth would anyone care what someone else wears in the MDR or what someone else's children/grandchildren wear in the MDR? The guidelines are not difficult to understand or follow for that matter. It is hardly rocket science. It is a vacation after all, not a LSAT or a job interview.

Relax, far too many uptight, anal people. Just get on the ship, be yourself, be considerate of others, MYOB, and have a great time.

Why on earth would anyone care what someone else wears in the MDR or what someone else's children/grandchildren wear in the MDR? The guidelines are not difficult to understand or follow for that matter. It is hardly rocket science.

My last cruise was on Koningsdam. I don't remember a single outfit worn by other people on that cruise. And when on a cruise, unless an outfit is so obnoxious as to scream for attention, I probably won't notice it then either. I remember some of DW's outfits, and that's all that matters to me.

There are certain problems that are Cruise Critic problems, not actual on-board problems. I think dress codes tops that list.

Edited by Aquahound

Only if you are going to wear it backwards ;p

Are you kidding me. I'm old school; wear my caps forward. You are asking me to wear it new school. Or should I wear the cap sideways; No School :eek:

Listen folks. This thread is starting to meltdown and know what happens next. A disappearing act.

My last cruise was on Koningsdam. I don't remember a single outfit worn by other people on that cruise. And when on a cruise, unless an outfit is so obnoxious as to scream for attention, I probably won't notice it then either. I remember some of DW's outfits, and that's all that matters to me.

There are certain problems that are Cruise Critic problems, not actually on-board problems. I think dress codes tops that list.

Amen to all of this.

Welcome to the Holland America world of fashion. It don't get any better than this. Should I bring up wearing my Bass Pro Shop cap in the MDR :eek:

The Bass Pro Shop cap would be appropriate for smart casual evenings but it simply wouldn't do for a Gala evening. A Cabela's cap would be recommended for a Gala evening.

For Gala Evenings, I would suggest adding a bit of 'bling', perhaps a KVD crankbait attached to the bill. Any of the KVD colors would work but Sexy Shad has always been my favorite. If you wanted to go all out, a top water frog would be my recommendation. Perhaps in a color that accentuates the highlights in your hair.

Certainly lots of entertainment value on this subject and on this thread.

Substantially more entertainment than you would probably find on a HAL cruise.

I agree with another poster. Too bad this site was not available when I took my one mandatory university sociology course years ago. Perhaps I should have taken the anthropology course instead.

[quote name=RocketMan275;56164549

Or' date=' as some posters put it: "we don't wear blue jeans." therefore we are of a higher status. Others simply believe that allowing blue jeans in the MDR lowers their status by association.[/quote]

Can you identify any of those posters, or their posts? Or are you simply adding your "therefore" to their simple statement that they do not wear blue jeans?

If it bothers you that some say they do not wear blue jeans, is it safe to assume that you also feel that people should not say that they do wear blue jeans?

How do you know what they "simply believe"?

It sounds to me as though you are trying to create a "fashion police" force out of the simple fact that some people like to dress for dinner and do not mind mentioning it --- any more than those who like to dress very casually and also mention it. If it is unacceptable to mention one clothing preference, shouldn't it also be unacceptable to mention another?

Can you identify any of those posters, or their posts? Or are you simply adding your "therefore" to their simple statement that they do not wear blue jeans?

If it bothers you that some say they do not wear blue jeans, is it safe to assume that you also feel that people should not say that they do wear blue jeans?

How do you know what they "simply believe"?

It sounds to me as though you are trying to create a "fashion police" force out of the simple fact that some people like to dress for dinner and do not mind mentioning it --- any more than those who like to dress very casually and also mention it. If it is unacceptable to mention one clothing preference, shouldn't it also be unacceptable to mention another?

The "fashion police" exist as well you know.

When posters claim they do not wear pants suitable for yardwork (blue jeans) on a cruise, they have beyond simply mentioning how they dress.

I have yet to see where one of those who prefer to dress casually make derogatory comments about those who prefer to dress more formally. The casual dressers, IMHO, are more accepting of the preferences of others.

YMMV.

When posters claim they do not wear pants suitable for yardwork (blue jeans) on a cruise, they have beyond simply mentioning how they dress.

I have yet to see where one of those who prefer to dress casually make derogatory comments about those who prefer to dress more formally. The casual dressers, IMHO, are more accepting of the preferences of others.

YMMV.

You may have missed some posts commenting on formal wear which they deem to be out of fashion.

YMMV.

The "fashion police" exist primarily in the minds of people who seem uncomfortable in just knowing that some people like to dress for dinner. You seem inclined to read hidden meaning into what people say about what they themselves like.

If someone mentions that he likes to go to some effort in what he wears when he goes out to eat with his wife - isn't calling him "fashion police" making a derogatory comment? And from what you say about things, it is clear that you think the term "fashion police" is not meant to be complimentary.

It seems unfortunate that stating a preference for formality makes one a "fashion policeman". I wonder what term might be comparably applicable for someone who prefers informality.

Perhaps name-calling should be left for the school yard.

The "fashion police" exist primarily in the minds of people who seem uncomfortable in just knowing that some people like to dress for dinner. You seem inclined to read hidden meaning into what people say about what they themselves like.

If someone mentions that he likes to go to some effort in what he wears when he goes out to eat with his wife - isn't calling him "fashion police" making a derogatory comment? And from what you say about things, it is clear that you think the term "fashion police" is not meant to be complimentary.

It seems unfortunate that stating a preference for formality makes one a "fashion policeman". I wonder what term might be comparably applicable for someone who prefers informality.

Perhaps name-calling should be left for the school yard.

A preference for formality is insufficient. Those who try to impose their fashion choices on others are the fashion police. Have you seen any who prefer a more casual standard tell anyone they cannot wear their tuxedo?

Bottom line.....we have not seen that many fashion gurus on a cruise. Don't know why the fashion police go on and on about it.

We are solid MYOB. Since we cannot control what others wear we don't concern ourselves with it. It has zero impact on our cruise enjoyment or our dining enjoyment. Does not matter if it is jeans in the DR or well out fashion dress wear. Who really cares?

And to add fuel to the fire....we even like like music by the pool. Awful, I know, but if we want quiet we go somewhere else.

This does not mean we like hairy chest contests or pool slides. It just means we like to be casual, mind our own business, and enjoy the ship in our own way.

A preference for formality is insufficient. Those who try to impose their fashion choices on others are the fashion police. Have you seen any who prefer a more casual standard tell anyone they cannot wear their tuxedo?

By inventing the term “fashion police” and applying it to people who simply express a preference they are being as offensive as would someone who called people who expressed a preference for jeans the “slob patrol”. There is no such group, either “fashion police” or “slob patrol” — but there seem to be a number of people who resent others who simply want to dress for dinner.

I have not seen anyone telling others that they cannot wear jeans when permitted by the lines suggestions.