Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

We sail out of Annapolis and when dining ashore at a nice place, we’ll usually be attired in “Chesapeake Dressy” - khakis, chambray or seersucker shirt, blazer, and deck shoes sans socks for gents and something matching that for the ladies. From the sound of things here, we’ll be OK in the MDR - neither too nor not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sail out of Annapolis and when dining ashore at a nice place, we’ll usually be attired in “Chesapeake Dressy” - khakis, chambray or seersucker shirt, blazer, and deck shoes sans socks for gents and something matching that for the ladies. From the sound of things here, we’ll be OK in the MDR - neither too nor not enough.

Sounds like a good look, and comfortable. I notice a reasonable variety of styles in HAL MDRs. I may give Chesapeake Dressy a whirl on my next Caribbean cruise.

Asked and answered.

No, not so.

I have no issue about people wearing clean pressed jeans wtih a n appropriate top to dinner in MDR

Now I have answered your 'charge'. :)

what is that quote at the end of all your posts about ? I have noticed it many times but you never reference it? Must mean something to to some.. Yes, I googled it and still I ask.

Years ago DW and I sailed with a group of friends to the Mexican Riviera, and for fun we all chose pseudonyms for ourselves (with the theme of our cruise in mind). We attached our new 'cruise names' to our signatures here on CC, and I just never removed it.;)

Fun cruise! :)

Why would you make such a blanket assmuption and how do you know if you are at all accurate? I think you well could be quite wrong. :o

Why is that a 'blanket assumption'? I said:

More likely these comments may be the result of how few cruise ship passengers patronize five/six star resorts.

I find it quite likely that few cruise ship passengers patronize five/six star resorts. I maybe wrong but I would be willing to be that the vast majority have not.

I find it quite likely that few cruise ship passengers patronize five/six star resorts. I maybe wrong but I would be willing to be that the vast majority have not.

I've no idea what percentage of HAL passengers have stayed at 5/6 Star resorts, but I'd be inclined to think that it would be higher than you surmise, as both holidays cater to a similar demographic and have prices that are similar. We started cruising after many years of enjoying such resorts, but still like to take the occasional land holiday and I've read many posts expressing a similar perspective.

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but why do you think that the vast majority of cruise passengers haven't stayed at 5/6 Star resorts? Just curious.

I've no idea what percentage of HAL passengers have stayed at 5/6 Star resorts, but I'd be inclined to think that it would be higher than you surmise, as both holidays cater to a similar demographic and have prices that are similar. We started cruising after many years of enjoying such resorts, but still like to take the occasional land holiday and I've read many posts expressing a similar perspective.

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but why do you think that the vast majority of cruise passengers haven't stayed at 5/6 Star resorts? Just curious.

Could be the fact that Forbes only lists 97 five star hotels world wide. Have you checked the rates at any of these hotels? Certainly more expensive than Hampton Inn.

The terms five star and six star are thrown around rather casually. One website lists the average price per night of a five star hotel at $436. Now, remember how many posts on Cruise Critic looking for hotels at cheap prices? Or looking for the best rates on cabins? Do you think these posters are paying $400 per night for a room?

There have been few comments about bathrobes. A number small enough that it could be attributed to those who cruise and who do not frequent five/six star resorts.

I doubt your claim that the demographic for five/six resorts is similar to the demographic for cruisers. Perhaps on Regent/Crystal/etc., but not on the mainstream lines like RCI/HAL/X. BTW, we don't cruise on the premier luxury lines either.

I'm not trying to put down those who cruise. My post was not meant to be derogatory but offered as a possible explanation.

Edited by RocketMan275

Years ago DW and I sailed with a group of friends to the Mexican Riviera, and for fun we all chose pseudonyms for ourselves (with the theme of our cruise in mind). We attached our new 'cruise names' to our signatures here on CC, and I just never removed it.;)

Fun cruise! :)

Glad I asked as it makes no sense 'by itself '

Thanks for answering.

I have no idea what percentage but I am quite s ure there are some. :) I am not the only.

I actually could name a few but it is not my business to do so.

I’m not great with grammar, but I think the verb in the post was “patronize”, not “have patronized”, which could make a big difference. I may have stayed at a five star place one time in my life - I don’t remember - but I certainly wouldn’t be counted as someone who goes to such places.

No, that is a fatuous NON-answer.
Nonsense. It's a legitimate answer that you simply don't like.

Apparently, it doesn't matter what you wrote; what seems to matter is that someone doesn't like that you wrote it.

I assure you that the vast majority of people who read your comment understood that. Only a few did not do so.

Could be the fact that Forbes only lists 97 five star hotels world wide.
Now you are confusing the issue with facts. That's bound to end poorly.

I may have stayed at a five star place one time in my life - I don’t remember - but I certainly wouldn’t be counted as someone who goes to such places.
Of course. Let's go back to the actual point that a few posters are working very hard to deflect attention away from.

I believe that if you check, you will find that wearing bathrobes as cover ups to pools etc. is quite common in some 5 and 6 star resorts in Canada, US, and US Hawaii.
More likely these comments may be the result of how few cruise ship passengers patronize five/six star resorts.
At one point I speculated that perhaps this was a generational issue, but I think RM is correct - this is more likely a socio-economic class issue. However, unlike a generation or two ago, the middle class is no longer impressed with the rich's way of doing things, but rather has staked out their own part of the marketplace and expect that it will reflect the way they want to do things.

As well it should.

Edited by bUU

But who really cares? Jeans are just fine in the MDR on non gala nights. Without question.

If you want to wear your bathrobe to the pool or spa be our guest. We don't care. But we will not view it as out of the ordinary either. Really, what harm does someone do wearing a bathrobe to the pool and why on earth would someone criticize it or even think about it twice. Only those who live in a very small world or perhaps have absolutely nothing better to do.

When someone asks if it is ok to wear jeans in the MDR why not answer correctly? Why answer with some inane comment like would you not feel better in Dockers or jeans are too heavy or my husband only wears jeans to work in the garden? Just answer the question. YES.

Could be the fact that Forbes only lists 97 five star hotels world wide. Have you checked the rates at any of these hotels? Certainly more expensive than Hampton Inn.

The terms five star and six star are thrown around rather casually. One website lists the average price per night of a five star hotel at $436. Now, remember how many posts on Cruise Critic looking for hotels at cheap prices? Or looking for the best rates on cabins? Do you think these posters are paying $400 per night for a room?

There have been few comments about bathrobes. A number small enough that it could be attributed to those who cruise and who do not frequent five/six star resorts.

I doubt your claim that the demographic for five/six resorts is similar to the demographic for cruisers. Perhaps on Regent/Crystal/etc., but not on the mainstream lines like RCI/HAL/X. BTW, we don't cruise on the premier luxury lines either.

I'm not trying to put down those who cruise. My post was not meant to be derogatory but offered as a possible explanation.

There certainly can be and are cruisers who stay in 5 and 6 s tar hotels and resorts and also stay in Neptune and; Pinnacle Suites, Not only possible but in my opinion and experience l ike ly and a fact.

Why is this beyond imaging and accepting?

Just about anyone can stay at a 5 or 6 star hotel or resort - whatever that is.

Usually it just takes money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

EXactly..... AND the willingness to spend it.

I do, about 230 nights a year, and let me tell you that as long as you wear long non ripped trousers for dinner with closed tip shoes for dinner, all is fine.

This whole discussion is useless as some here refuse to understand that jeans, when not ripped are perfectly fine in any establishment nowadays, obviously not meaning ripped or baggy US style ill-fitting fashionhorrors that some teenagers wear ( around their knees it seems).

Ps. There is no formal body that rates any hotel “6 stars” maximum is 5.

Some hotels like to boast with their 6 or even 7 stars...but this is not an official rating and in my experience, the only difference is how much more they fleece their clients. ( like not offering free internet in a recent “6 star” resort )

There certainly can be and are cruisers who stay in 5 and 6 s tar hotels and resorts and also stay in Neptune and; Pinnacle Suites, Not only possible but in my opinion and experience l ike ly and a fact.

Why is this beyond imaging and accepting?

Why is it "beyond imagining and accepting" that the few posters who have criticized bathrobes outside the room have not experienced five star resorts?

Please note: this isn't the equivalent of saying people who cruise do not patronize five/six star resorts.

Perhaps you have an alternative to suggest?

As of 1.25 years ago, Forbes had 175 five-star hotels on their list. (I didn't bother searching further for a current list so it may be more by now.). And those are only the hotels that Forbes have rated. It doesn't include the ones they haven't rated, nor does it include the ones others have rated. There are many more than 97 five-star hotels in the world.

As of 1.25 years ago, Forbes had 175 five-star hotels on their list. (I didn't bother searching further for a current list so it may be more by now.). And those are only the hotels that Forbes have rated. It doesn't include the ones they haven't rated, nor does it include the ones others have rated. There are many more than 97 five-star hotels in the world.

What does this post (and most of the last few pages) have to do with "jeans in the dining room...."?? Really folks, can't we give it up?

What does this post (and most of the last few pages) have to do with "jeans in the dining room...."?? Really folks, can't we give it up?

You're seriously singling me out from this mess? Really?

I do, about 230 nights a year, and let me tell you that as long as you wear long non ripped trousers for dinner with closed tip shoes for dinner, all is fine.

This whole discussion is useless as some here refuse to understand that jeans, when not ripped are perfectly fine in any establishment nowadays, obviously not meaning ripped or baggy US style ill-fitting fashionhorrors that some teenagers wear ( around their knees it seems).

Ps. There is no formal body that rates any hotel “6 stars” maximum is 5.

Some hotels like to boast with their 6 or even 7 stars...but this is not an official rating and in my experience, the only difference is how much more they fleece their clients. ( like not offering free internet in a recent “6 star” resort )

Michelin, mobil...........

I fully agree if one wears clean pressed jeans with appropriate top and shoes to dinner, in mDR. no problem. IMO