Accommodations for Autistic Children

Has anyone had any success actually reaching the Special Needs Department? Every time I call the message says they are “in a meeting”.

When I call the main number for existing reservations, I get different answers about how to set up accommodations. Par for the course for any question! I’ve also gotten 3 different answers about how to book dining reservations because our party is split over 3 reservation number. [emoji849]

We’re looking for assistance boarding and getting through the muster drill, as well as how to bring on medically necessary nutritional supplements.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the real answers? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do the supplements require refrigeration? If not just pack them and bring them back n luggage or cases.

Do you have a travel agent? He or she can link your reservation and set up dining arrangements.

What kind of help will you require for the muster drill?

We are in a corner family veranda so had no choice but to book directly. But we’re 5 in the cabin so same cabin under 2 reservations. My parents booked their cabin directly online and we linked up with them, but I still can’t figure out how to book us all for dining.

Our son is the main concern. Our teenager is much easier going. He’s nervous about sailing (not his first time either) and may need time to get through security and then actually get ON the ship. People can be a little pushy boarding during that shuffling line. We’ve been successful when he has a little more time to process and comply with what we’re asking him.

For the muster drill it’s really going to depend where we have to go. If it’s somewhere like the theater where we can sit down we’ll be fine. We have no problem being way early and leaving last to avoid the crush of people. But if it’s on deck or in a place where we can’t sit, both my autistic kids are going to have issues with the standing and personal space issues. My son is likely to be flopping on the floor and anxious to get out of any crowded space where he can’t see around him.

Hi,

You can set up any information for the medical supplements or diet requirements by emailing special_needs@celebrity.com

You email them first with your requests or questions, and you get a standard email back, and then you will get a more detailed response email in a few days. You can also ask them to call you. Be sure and list your reservation number, date of sailing and ship, your email, and daytime contact number.

Your travel agent can link the three dining reservations if booked through a travel agent if you are all dining in the main dining room. If some of the cabins were booked directly with Celebrity and some through a travel agent, you will need to call both places and have them link the reservations on both sides. I have found that celebrity's special needs department to be very helpful with corresponding by email.

Also here is the form for special needs to be sent in if he has food allergies or other needs that need to helped with. https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Celebrity-Guest-Special-Needs-Form.pdf

Have fun on your upcoming cruise.

Edited by kk99

What ship and stateroom are you in? We've had experience with different muster stations based on stateroom location. If you are mid ship you should be in the MDR. Special needs might be able to get that info for you ahead of time.

I know the Celebrity website can be a hassle but you should be able to link all your family reservations together on your reservation on the website. that (usually) ties your Dining preferences together. even if one reservation was made via a travel agent and another directly, have all your reservation numbers and your travel agent can and should link them. They don’t have to be the Agent’ for that specific reservation. been there done that.

As to getting on board and a crowd. Your son doesn’t have to be with you in line as you check in. That gets very crowded. One person can do it for each reservation. The son can sit and relax out of the way in the seating area with other family. Then when ready to board, all can go together. Actually getting onto the ship is not a crowding experience. Just don’t stop to get photos. Do it later in your own time.

As to the drill, there will be a lot of people in each area for the drill brief. You dont take your life vest or line up and go out on deck.It’s all done in common areas via a video and talk/demo. If you are in a forward Family SR I think you’ll end up in the theater for the drill which is well situated for sitting and not be crowded. Whatever is your drill location, just make sure you go early to get a spot because a crowd will be shuffling in. And dont plan to leave right after it’s finished as everyone will try to get out at once, so sit back and relax.

I’m sure you are well aware of such things, but just a ‘heads’ up a‘head ‘of time to put all this into your ‘head’ so you have your ‘head’ together and don’t get a ‘head’ache......did I use ‘head’ enough times in one sentence??? Do I win??

enjoy! I bet your son and all of you will love being at sea and relaxing. for me, there isn’t anything quite as nice.

Den

We are sailing on the Summit in a corner aft family veranda.

In typical Celebrity fashion, when you call you five different answers.

DH and I have cruised on the Summit, as well as a few other lines, and this isn’t the kids first either. Just their first cruise on Celebrity.

I’m sure it will be ok. I’m just over cautious when we travel.

Thanks!!! I’ll try emailing again.

Can you or speech pathologist make some social stories for them regarding embarkation, muster drill etc?

Yes, we have one from previous cruises that I’m updating for this ship. Celebrity actually has one on their site that’s pretty good. Our kids are pretty high functioning so we’ve also been watching YouTube videos about how ships float. We’ll have our weighted blanket and body sock with us too.

Just a few things you could discuss with special needs....

Could you queue and board with guests with mobility issues avoiding the main queues?

At muster If you can find out where you will be then try to identify a specific space to sit. For example, sitting at the end of rows rather than the middle can be useful. Also the muster is now a ‘James Bond’ style video which your kids may enjoy or find over stimulating. If you are concerned it could be overstimulating you could try to access it pre cruise on line/you tube.

Children’s clubs....what activities could your children enjoy and join in with? Could the age specific children’s group organisers meet with you in the afternoon after boarding to discuss the weekly program? Alternatively, can you borrow games etc to take back to your room.

MDR request, I assume you probably would want a table just for your family....again ask them to consider the location of the table, your kids will probably feel far more comfortable at the edge of the MDR rather than in the middle.

Special Needs will not be able to answer all your questions but they should be able to alert appropriate staff members on board so that when you meet with staff they already have a ‘heads up’ about your requests.

You could also, as you already know the general space on the ship, try to identify some ‘base camps’ (quiet seating areas) they can head to if they are round and about and start to feel anxiety levels rising.

After teaching students with special needs including autism for over 35 years I think you are right to try to find out as much as possible pre cruise and integrate your findings into social stories. The more your children can predict ‘what happens next’ the more relaxed they (and you) will be.

Those family veranda cabins are nice rooms...the balconies are really roomy too.

Have a fantastic family cruise.

We are sailing on the Summit in a corner aft family veranda.

The muster drill area for that location is typically the Rendezvous Lounge on deck 4, on the same side of the ship as your cabin.

Just take the rear elevators or stairs (the closest ones to your cabin) down to deck 4.

You can check the back of your cabin door to verify the location as they post the muster drill location for each cabin there.

The Rendezvous Lounge has plenty of seats, but be sure to get down there early to get a seat for him because the room fills up and late arrivals end up standing throughout the muster drill.

If you get down there early, there is usually quite a long wait until the drill actually begins, so you may want to bring along something your son enjoys to occupy his attention while he is waiting.

Or else another member of your party could go down early and hold a seat for him so he could come down later.

Since the room typically becomes packed full of people for the muster drill, you may want to go down there to scope it out earlier in the day, to select a quiet, out of the way spot.

(For example, perhaps seats in the back row by a window, or even better, right by the glass door in a corner that opens out to the promenade deck, so you can make a quick and inconspicuous exit if necessary).

Additionally, there is often a special muster drill location provided in an out-of-the-way spot for people using wheelchairs or those requiring special assistance for disabilities of one kind or another.

So that could be another possibility for you. Any of the muster drill staff should be able to direct you to it.

We never try to board before 1PM just to avoid the crowds that are always there earlier. Boarding later has always been much calmer. For our cruise last month we arrived at 1:15PM and we went from parking lot to the ship in less than 15 minutes. The only line we experienced at all was a short one through security. I don't know if this is an option for you or not and of course there is no guarantee that there won't be a crowd even if you arrive late, but it has worked for us in the past.

BTW, the muster drill video is on youtube...(

). This way you can pre-screen it and maybe even show it to your children so they are totally familiar with the "Movie".

in case the shortcut gets deleted just google "Celebrity Muster Drill".

Steve

You could contact Autism on the Seas as they work specifically with coordinating single family cruises and group cruises for those with Autism. They may be able to answer your questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a young great niece with autism, and I wish you the best on your trip - what a great family time. I also know from being with her that all this prep is important - go Mom!

In regards to muster - ours on Equinox was extremely crowded. There was a family close to us with 2 kids one around kindergarten age another maybe 8-9. Muster was a lot for them ( heck, it was a lot for me, I’m a little claustrophobic and being too close to people like that is what bothers me).

If your child isn’t at least a tween he will not be able see the screens - neither of these children could see, which was part of their frustration.

I don’t know anything about Celebrity’s special needs accommodations, but I would definitely press for something at muster. If I recall correctly, part of the video covered child safety on the ship. While I can tell from your post that you will come up to speed about the procedures before you go, you will likely want to be able to watch the video yourself at muster, so you will want the kids to be as comfortable as they can be.

Bon voyage

I'm sorry I didn't see this until now!

I've taken one cruise each on Celebrity and Royal, and am taking another on Celebrity in a couple of weeks - all of them accompanied by my mentally disabled brother. In all cases, I've reached out to the Special Needs email address (Special_Needs AT rccl DOT com) - they've responded back within 24 hours in each case, and have been more than accommodating in making sure that we could go through priority boarding.

They will ask you to fill out the Special Needs form (https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Celebrity-Guest-Special-Needs-Form.pdf); unfortunately, it is not an electronic submission form, and trying to fill out out online introduces you to the foils and fobiles of RCL's IT department (as in for PDF form is broken). I just printed out a copy of the form and filled it out by hand (ignoring the many not applicable statements about diet and physical requirements). Again... within 24 hours, I got a positive response from them!

Best of luck on your cruise... --bruce T.