Not just breaking even with Cheers......

susan1957

Is it me or are there other people who not only just want to break even with Cheers...but that also want to do more than break even. I was on a cruise a few weeks ago with a friend, I can honestly say (no fault but our own) that we found that the Cheers program actually enticed us to drink more. One night my friend had to be taken to her room in a wheelchair (her own fault yes)....not a big drinker but yes ..always thinking "hey...we are allowed 15.....stupid stupid....I know...anyone?

It's not a contest. One day I was not feeling well and didn't drink. does that mean I have to drink twice as much the next day? NO

On a hot day, with an outside GOOD band playing, I can probably put away 9 beers over a 5-6 hour period with no problem...and no "staggers".....you have to learn HOW to drink, if you're going to do it for long periods! Having a small snack (not a big meal) helps, too!

see so if you took advantage of all of that, you can actually get your money worth and more. I think if people stop looking at it from just an alcohol point of view then they would see their worth.

While it is definitely a good idea to accurately compare it all, I'd still say that is a pretty subjective claim in many cases. Water is easily accessible all over the boat, and you are able to bring on soda. If you drink a lot of the other stuff, then yes, it may help. However, if you aren't making it up in alcohol, the other stuff may be tough as well.

I've been in a few scuffles around this convo. All in all I'd say that if the cost and benefit is something that makes sense to you, get it. If you're struggling to "break even" it may not be for you.

Yeah if we're talking about a Caribbean cruise I'm probably going to be drinking something for the 3-4 hours I'm outside. A couple of glasses of wine at dinner time and then on to the Club at night. I'm sure I save hundreds of dollars a cruise. I'd bet more alcoholic beverages are sold on a Caribbean cruise than in other parts of the world where the climate isn't as Hot

I had this discussion with number 2 son the other night on whether it would be worth it for both my boys, No1 sons wife and Number two sons friend to get the cheers program. ( hubby and i are entertaining the grandchildren)

Conclusion was No 1 son only likes beer and he is rather a lightweight when it comes to drinking. His wife also likes beer, wine and coolers, however, she is a real lightweight due to her stature and can get really messed up quickly. We decided cheers would not be worth it for them as i dont want 4 children to look after.........

Number 2 son and his friend, on the other hand would love the cheers program and take advantage of all it offers. He loves a good shot of scotch and a nice cigar after dinner and with Cheers, he could get the really high end drinks that he would never be able to afford at home. (We live in Canada and liquor is very, very highly taxed making high end liquor only for the rich). He’s already perusing drink menus and making a plan.......LOL.

Hubby doesnt drink at all (except for his annual Christmas dinner glass of wine) and i like my daily Pina Colada on a cruise, so its not even close to worth it for us. We like the coffee bar, but can pay easily for that daily treat as well.

Long story short, we just have to convince No1 son and his wife why its not good for them without actually telling them why its not good for them. LOL

Cheers isn’t for us because I can’t drink more than 5 drinks a day. I’m just not a big drinker and don’t care about getting my moneys worth by drinking milkshakes and speciality coffees. What sucks is it is definitely worth it for my boyfriend but unless we are in separate cabins he won’t have it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is why my husband I aren't getting cheers. I would get my money's worth with drinks and coffees, but he would not.

Drink package, I wouldn’t dream of cruising without one...
Since having Cheers back in January of 2013, it's been 10 straight cruises on five different lines with a package and also the next 4 currently booked. Vacationing twice a year is the only time I indulge other than an occasional beer so I feel it's money well spent, especially when it's already factored in on NCL and Celebrity.

My wife & I saved about $300 on the Cheers program compared to buying ala crate. This is about an avg of 6-8 drinks a day.

Really not that many for 8-10 hours on the ship.

I have spent $100 a day at a pool in Vegas for have the time

I wonder if Carnival has ever been sued due to someone getting hurt or even killed with their 15 drink limit.

Legally, it seems to me, Carnival is saying 15 drinks from 12-bedtime is fine...………. Not for all

I really believe that the 15 drink limit is much more about them limiting their liability than cost control. If you think about it, every other cruise line’s drink program is unlimited. I suspect their attorneys came up with the 15 drink limit so that when someone gets drunk and goes overboard and sues they can point to the fact that 15 drinks over 12-16 hours won’t get you falling down intoxicated so it’s user error rather than bad business.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if Carnival has ever been sued due to someone getting hurt or even killed with their 15 drink limit.

Legally, it seems to me, Carnival is saying 15 drinks from 12-bedtime is fine...………. Not for all

Where did you get 12-bedtime from? It's 6am-6am.

Cheers isn't just about alcohol but bottled water, powerades, milkshakes, speciality coffees as well. You need to take advantage of what's available with it and not just depend on Jack Daniels to cover the cost.

This is exactly it, although alcohol makes the price go up way faster there is other ways. For instants Milkshakes, I would not just get one although I may want one, but because of prices I just would not spend the extra $$. The fresh brewed coffee in the coffee shop is way better than the cartridge coffee out the machine. I haven't began to mention the bottled waters, my wife drinks a lot of water (I mean a lot). I realize these things don't add up fast, but they add up. Lastly, when the cruise is over I know that my bill is only going to be $51.95 p/day, and not spending the last day at the Pursers desk (yes I said it....LoL;)) arguing over, "I only had 9 drinks not 10 they over charged me."

I have never bought cheers as I am more of a two drink a day person and it does not make much sense for me. If I did buy it though, I would immediately be on a quest daily to drink enough to make it worthwhile.

I buy the kids the coke package and every time I see them on ship I ask if they drank their three cokes today.

Actually, at the peril of sounding like total lushes, drinking well and often is one of our main goals on a cruise! Way back when, before kids, our bar tab on a 7 day cruise was never less than $1000, so Cheers is a bargain. Even more now, since prices have obviously gone up. Break even? Ha! This is one charge on a Carnival cruise where I actually feel like I come out ahead.

So you don't actually like cruising per se? It is just another venue to drink? I enjoy the cruising myself, I do enjoy an adult libation now and then but I would cruise even if there was no alcohol available. Generally it seems to me that people over analyze the whole cheers package thing. The way I see it you are right either way you go no need to justify either way.

So you don't actually like cruising per se? It is just another venue to drink? I enjoy the cruising myself, I do enjoy an adult libation now and then but I would cruise even if there was no alcohol available. Generally it seems to me that people over analyze the whole cheers package thing. The way I see it you are right either way you go no need to justify either way.

Here here....I'll drink to that!

I would not get the cheers package because I couldn't drink 15 drinks on my best day while in college let alone now. I've known

people that reach the 15 drink limit and want more which may indicate to me somebody may have a drinking problem.

Gary

wouldn't it be nice if they offered Cheers in increments, say cheers A pkg 5 drinks per day, Cheers B pkg 10 drinks per day and Cheers C pkg 15 per day or maybe one package at 7 or 8 per day and the other at 15.

I would not get the cheers package because I couldn't drink 15 drinks on my best day while in college let alone now. I've known

people that reach the 15 drink limit and want more which may indicate to me somebody may have a drinking problem.

Gary

Judgemental much?

wouldn't it be nice if they offered Cheers in increments, say cheers A pkg 5 drinks per day, Cheers B pkg 10 drinks per day and Cheers C pkg 15 per day or maybe one package at 7 or 8 per day and the other at 15.

Perhaps, but I'm sure the bean counters and the marketing people have analyzed it every which way and determined that one package, with no discounts ever, would be the best way to make a profit.

Gary

Why do people like you (you know, the ones that can't drink 15 drinks in a day!:rolleyes:) bother posting in a Cheers thread? I mean, we all know already that you have to drink all 15 alcoholic drinks just to break even. ;)

Yes, there may be a little sarcasm there but I still don't know why people who either don't drink or think they have to drink all 15 comment on these threads.

Even better, how about Cheers A through Cheers O, each one drink more than the last! Wait, isn't that pay-as-you-go? Why can't people understand that the number "15" represents a theoretical max, and NOT the number of drinks you "paid for"?

Gary

You don't need to drink 15 to make it worthwhile. Without drinking any of the various included non alcoholic beverages, you break even with 5 Alchemy Bar drinks, 6 regular drinks or 9 beers.

You don't need to drink 15 to make it worthwhile. Without drinking any of the various included non alcoholic beverages, you break even with 5 Alchemy Bar drinks, 6 regular drinks or 9 beers.

Sometimes it's just nice to know what your final bill will be, not whether you "break even."