Where are Military Rates ??

Muumuu

From what I have seen military rates aren't any better than any other discounts and usually has zero perks (ie: price protection, etc.)

We have been on 6 cruises and always get rates offered that's better than any military rates.

I cannot tell if it's a temporary promo or if they have permanently combined ES and military rate. The "Early Saver Military Bonus" looks like a combination of the two. FWIW, I've noticed in recent years that the military rate and the ES rate are identical anyway with each having it's own particular benefits depending on a person's inclination.

All the discount rates are the same. Whether you book Early Saver or Military, you'll get the same price. The different is pretty much in the timing. ES has to be 60 days in advance, where as military does not. If you are 60 days out, then you might not see the Military discount, as it would be better to book ES than military (for the guaranteed pricing aspect)

All the discount rates are the same. Whether you book Early Saver or Military, you'll get the same price. The different is pretty much in the timing. ES has to be 60 days in advance, where as military does not. If you are 60 days out, then you might not see the Military discount, as it would be better to book ES than military (for the guaranteed pricing aspect)

You are absolutely right. I book Military which is the same rate as Early Saver but I can cancel the cruise if need be up to 60 days before the actual cruise. With Early Saver, you are commited from the time of purchase.

No one want to cancel a cruise but emergencies happen and I feel much safer with the Military rate. I have used the Military rate several times and recommend it if you are eligible. Have to give credit to Carnival for recognizing veterans and giving the special benefit.

You are absolutely right. I book Military which is the same rate as Early Saver but I can cancel the cruise if need be up to 60 days before the actual cruise. With Early Saver, you are commited from the time of purchase.

No one want to cancel a cruise but emergencies happen and I feel much safer with the Military rate. I have used the Military rate several times and recommend it if you are eligible. Have to give credit to Carnival for recognizing veterans and giving the special benefit.

I booked military for the ability to cancel with full refund up to a specific date. I no longer see the regular military options at all no matter what month I look at.

Carnival if this is another cut I am very disappointed

I booked military for the ability to cancel with full refund up to a specific date. I no longer see the regular military options at all no matter what month I look at.

Carnival if this is another cut I am very disappointed

I would agree. It looks like they have compressed ES and military into a single booking option with a non-refundable deposit promo (not a feature of the old military rate) and cancellations prior to final payment resulting in a $50pp fee with the balance of the deposit toward a future cruise (same as ES). So yeah, if this is a permanent change (and not a short term promo), it's bogus to essentially make the military rate disappear and call it "Early Saver Military Rate" when military rates for several years have been the same as ES but without the strings attached.

I would agree. It looks like they have compressed ES and military into a single booking option with a non-refundable deposit promo (not a feature of the old military rate) and cancellations prior to final payment resulting in a $50pp fee with the balance of the deposit toward a future cruise (same as ES). So yeah, if this is a permanent change (and not a short term promo), it's bogus to essentially make the military rate disappear and call it "Early Saver Military Rate" when military rates for several years have been the same as ES but without the strings attached.

I think you are absolutely right. Military is now exactly the same as Early Saver but with a different title. They probably didn't want to look bad taking away a Veteran Benefit regarding cancellations so they made a name change but took away the cancellation benefit anyway. This all happened recently since I check pricing quite often and did not see this change. I have cruises booked for 2019 and 2020. I wonder if they are affected.

This change is of particular interest to me since I will be 80 years old in October. At this age, it is more probable that my wife or myself could get sick and need to change timing for a cruise. I guess I will have to write Carnival and ask it they have "AN OLD TIMERS DISCOUNT - MILITARY NATURALLY".

I think you are absolutely right. Military is now exactly the same as Early Saver but with a different title. They probably didn't want to look bad taking away a Veteran Benefit regarding cancellations so they made a name change but took away the cancellation benefit anyway. This all happened recently since I check pricing quite often and did not see this change. I have cruises booked for 2019 and 2020. I wonder if they are affected.

This change is of particular interest to me since I will be 80 years old in October. At this age, it is more probable that my wife or myself could get sick and need to change timing for a cruise. I guess I will have to write Carnival and ask it they have "AN OLD TIMERS DISCOUNT - MILITARY NATURALLY".

I completely agree with you if this change is permanent - a semi-slick way to eliminate military rates but keep the "military" tag in an attempt to not aggravate us veterans. Our next 2019 cruise (which will be our last with Carnival for reasons other than this subject) was booked military and I sincerely hope they don't try to throw this "Early Saver Military Bonus" blanket over it if we have to cancel in the interim. :mad:

Got an idea. How about at the MILITARY APPRECIATION GATHERING held on Carnival cruises (Some times more than once), this topic should be brought up. Is Carnival reducing the Military benefit it has had for years by changing the cancellation policy? If our response is loud and clear and supported by all, the message just might get through to the right party. Look what happened at Starbucks. I doubt Carnival would want to defend this action (Cutting veteran benefits) in some major newspaper.

What surprises me is that I would think the cancellation clause was put in originally to protect active duty personnel who would be more prone to time changes than non service people. I guess that does not matter any more.

Am I making too much of this? I have completed 21 cruises and all with Carnival and have two booked for the future. Booked Military whenever possible. I like cruising (I was also in the Navy) and I like Carnival very much. Come on Carnival! Be nice again!

In my experience, most of the time military is the same price as early saver but without the no cancel penalty. I mostly book this rate and that is the way it was this am.

It's interesting, I just randomly picked some itineraries in 2019 (Alaska, Caribbean, New England) and they all had the standard military rate offered (which was identical to ES) once again. Perhaps that "Early Saver Military Bonus" thing was just a temporary promo as suggested above?? :confused:

I don't know why some want to spread the lie that military rates are no longer. A couple minutes searching will show it is false.

It was "a couple minutes searching" that revealed that those ES Military Bonus rates had appeared and the old Military rates had disappeared. I alluded to it possibly being a temporary promo and it seems it was since I cannot now find it after doing a couple minutes of searching today.

I don't know why some want to spread the lie that military rates are no longer. A couple minutes searching will show it is false.

Wow is that ever nasty! I will explain the situation so even you will understand. Last night the terms for the 3/2 2019 cruise that I have already booked were different than the terms shown today. Several of the posters have mentioned this but you choose to ignore them. Actually the cancellations terms are even better today for us and do not involve final payment as they use to. You may want to investigate this further. No need to apologize but try to be nicer.

If you want a real veteran benefit try Princess. For a 1-6 day cruise you get $50 OBC. For 7-13 days you get $100 and for 14 days and longer you get $250.

You're right and honestly, even their military deal isn't as good as it used to be but still a nice perk of OBC.

I booked a military rate back in November on Carnival and received a $50 OBC. OP, it helps to like your local base ITT pg on that Zuckerburg site (Not sure if its ok to say the name). Our base’s ITT advertised and that’s how I found out about the special rate/credits/low deposits/etc. Then I called my personal travel agent and booked it. One other thing we are looking forward to and definitely appreciate is the Veteran’s Appreciation on board.