driver's license question

bluejay555

I will be using a passport to get on board, but I renewed my driver's license and I will not be getting the new one in time for the cruise. I have my old one with VOID stamped into it and a paper license. Seems like I always give my driver's license and passport when boarding. Is this right? Will I be OK with what I have? I figured I probably would but my worst nightmare is being denied boarding!!!

I agree. I’ve only ever used my passport. That’s all you need. Although on a recent trip we were on st. Kitts, port security asked for a picture Id along with your sail and sign card. We didn’t bring our passports off the ship. Luckily I had my license in my purse. That’s the first time it’s ever happened.

Passport works for boarding. Bringing the old one into port may be problematic but you could always bring your passport for re-boarding.

To be more specific, you won't need any ID other than your S&S card to re-board the ship but on some islands, you will need to show your ID to enter the pier to board the ship. Cozumel for one always checks IDs before they will let you head towards the ships.

We always just use our passports for ID. That's why we spent the money on them. Not to leave them in a safe.

You need a valid picture ID. An expired license doesn't qualify. You might consider getting a state ID card, which in some states is issued on the spot, with a picture. Otherwise you will need to bring your passport.

You definitely need some sort of photo id on you every time you get off the ship and exit the port area. Our cruise just this month we had to show a photo ID to get back into port area at 3 ports - St Thomas, Grand Turk, and San Juan. At Amber Cove a guy got on the bus as we returned from our excursion (Carnival) and checked everyone's S&S cards before we could enter the gate. No ID check after that.

To be more specific, you won't need any ID other than your S&S card to re-board the ship but on some islands, you will need to show your ID to enter the pier to board the ship. Cozumel for one always checks IDs before they will let you head towards the ships.

We always just use our passports for ID. That's why we spent the money on them. Not to leave them in a safe.

Thank you, I should have been more explicit. That's what I get for being in a hurry when I post.

I agree. I’ve only ever used my passport. That’s all you need. Although on a recent trip we were on st. Kitts, port security asked for a picture Id along with your sail and sign card. We didn’t bring our passports off the ship. Luckily I had my license in my purse. That’s the first time it’s ever happened.

Fun Times and P.A. announcements by the CD always states to bring a photo ID and your S&S card ashore. We do leave our passport in the safe and bring a valid DL ashore.

You need a valid picture ID. An expired license doesn't qualify. You might consider getting a state ID card, which in some states is issued on the spot, with a picture. Otherwise you will need to bring your passport.

Threadstarter clearly stated they will be bringing their passport. A passport "trumps" every other type of photo ID.

There is no need to waste time, effort or money to get a state ID if using a passport.

Completely agree !!! I have never understood the "I'm too afraid to take my passport off the ship" crowd.

The OP stated that his just renewed his DL and apparently his state stamps "void" on the expired one, and issues a valid, non photo paper to carry while his actual DL is being processed and mailed. Hmm, our state, it just expires, and we can renew online and use the paper "renewal" statement WITH the expired photo, as valid ID, until we receive it in the mail. Like most of us, we use our passports to board the ship, then lock them in the safe and use our state ID's with our S&S cards to take with us on land. In this case I wonder if a photo of his passport would work with the expired license.

Threadstarter clearly stated they will be bringing their passport. A passport "trumps" every other type of photo ID.

There is no need to waste time, effort or money to get a state ID if using a passport.

Completely agree !!! I have never understood the "I'm too afraid to take my passport off the ship" crowd.

I am with you on this. Go to the trouble and expense of getting a passport but leave it locked in a safe? Can somebody tell me the point of this?

I am with you on this. Go to the trouble and expense of getting a passport but leave it locked in a safe? Can somebody tell me the point of this?

The point is it can’t get lost or stolen if it’s on the ship.

If you don’t ding back in before it leaves, they send 2 officers into your cabin and retrieve your Passport and other pertinent stuff to leave with the Port Authority so that when you return to where your ship used to be, you can get home.

I don't like carrying things with me that I don't need to, it's as simple as that (and I got my passport for flying to Europe, not for closed loop cruises. I'm not afraid of being left in port.;))

What will you do when the ship collects all passports and keeps them for most of the cruise?

OOps...sorry..this is the Carnival forum...very, very few Carnival sailings fall into this category.

I was on a NCL cruise that docked at Florida from NY. You could NOT get off and reboard the ship with a passport. You NEEDED a driver's license. Why? They said you needed photo ID that included your address. I'm guessing it was because it was a US port.

I was on a NCL cruise that docked at Florida from NY. You could NOT get off and reboard the ship with a passport. You NEEDED a driver's license. Why? They said you needed photo ID that included your address. I'm guessing it was because it was a US port.

I have to call bull on this post. A passport is the gold standard for ID. What does your physical address have do with anything? What if you moved? What if you live in NY and do not drive? What entity told you you needed a DL? This story has more holes than Swiss cheese.

The point is it can’t get lost or stolen if it’s on the ship.

Actually, the point is your passport is worthless sitting in the safe. Really, why bother to bring it at all ? In fact, why bother to get one if you don’t intend to use it ?

This modern day phobia about carrying items which were designed to be carried and used is puzzling. Guess too many are creeping around in fear. Quite sad, actually.

It’s like buying a car and being too afraid to take it out of the garage.

Actually, the point is your passport is worthless sitting in the safe. Really, why bother to bring it at all ? In fact, why bother to get one if you don’t intend to use it ?

This modern day phobia about carrying items which were designed to be carried and used is puzzling. Guess too many are creeping around in fear. Quite sad, actually.

Not even. Lots of people misplace things all the time. Happened to 2 people in our FB group last October. One person was almost Diamond so it wasn't her first rodeo. Left it at LFK and we had to go back. She thought it was in her bag but her little wallet fell out. Would have been real fun for her B2B the next week. She was so lucky they found it on the island and since we were the last van back and the only ship in port, our driver got the call. The other people never did find their ID. Thank goodness they left their Passport in the safe. Stuff happens even when you think it won't.

Seems like the true phobia and paranoia is of missing the ship. I always allow PLENTY of time to get back (well except that last time at LFK) and quite frankly I wouldn't have cared if they left without us. I knew my Passport would be at the pier waiting for me and so would have hers if she had left it in the safe. So if you make sure you're back and don't miss the ship, you don't need a Passport. WAY more chance of misplacing it or having it stolen than missing the ship if you are responsible. However, should that happen, go to the pier and retrieve it. You can't do that if it's gone on shore somewhere.

And to answer your question I have a Passport in case I need to get home from my cruise, and so I can travel to other countries. And when I do I don't carry it on me and I won't when I go on my 2 International trips in the near future. You are a fool to take it off the ship in some ports where pickpockets are prevalent.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Wow, pretty strange analogy. The passport is for traveling over foreign borders. We travel with a passport as it's insurance if something happens to us and we need to fly out of a foreign port. The passport is useless touring Cozumel, unless you are flying out. We carry a valid DL, credit card, cash and a sign and sail card while ashore.

"why bother to get one if you don’t intend to use it ?" where would you use it ashore? We have traveled to Europe, Central America, Jamaica, St. Lucia, Mexico, that is where we intended to use our passports, airports, not for the cruise.

"