Who do I email to complain to? Change in Cuba Itinerary

On reading this thread, I decided to actually peruse the cruise contract that I downloaded earlier today for my own Cuba cruise. Here is the highlight:

Carrier [RCCL] may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below [related to cancellations due to mechanical issues], Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

What, exactly, does the cruise line promise to provide in exchange for your fare? Essentially nothing. A good exam question for a first year law student would be whether this is a contract at all given that one party has no apparent obligation to do anything!

What, exactly, does the cruise line promise to provide in exchange for your fare? Essentially nothing. A good exam question for a first year law student would be whether this is a contract at all given that one party has no apparent obligation to do anything!

A cruise.

They have to supply that. But where the cruise goes to, and on what ship, are up to them to decide.

I totally agree. I have posted in our group for my fellow passengers to email with their complaints. I would cancel if I could but because we have made our final payments we would lose our money. I did include in my emails that I am CANCELLING my B2B in December/January. I did also say that I will no longer recommend Royal Caribbean. I hate to do that but this is a cruise I have been looking forward to since May of last year.

I have been on a cruise, where a port was changed due to weather and I understand those type of changes. What I cannot understand is changing the departure time from 8am to 2am 58 days before the cruise. That to me sounds unfair to passengers who booked a cruise that clearly stated it was a two overnight. Thank you so much for you advice...you are correct....it takes TEN others to tell TEN others.....Hopefully our collective voices are heard.

I can certainly understand your frustration. However, if you have already stated you have cancelled another cruise and won't use them again, what incentive do they have to even answer your letter? Your business is already going somewhere else; there is no point in trying to appease you.

I'm on this same sailing *waving to Dawn*. Two calls today by my TA to Crown and Anchor and then to Resolutions provided no assistance. Both departments were unaware of the reasons why we will be cut short by 7 hours (leaving at 2am instead of 9am). He'll be contacting another department Monday. It was as if the people on the other end of the line today didn't know that there had been a change in the itinerary (like they thought we planned to leave at 2am all along). That was just our perception.

This will be our 47th cruise (spread among 8 cruise lines, so not all on Royal!), and we are no strangers to changed itineraries. It happens. We accept this in the cruise contract when we book, but as others have said, it doesn't make it right. It feels really yucky as a customer when it happens. I really just wish RCCL could be transparent (or at least a *little* bit transparent) as to the reasons, and I wish I didn't have to learn about this information on CC.

I can wish all I want, but at the end of the day, we'll make the best of losing 7 hours and having to return to the ship sooner than expected and receiving a different experience than we paid for to visit Cuba for what is likely our first and last time. In the scheme of life, it's not a big deal, but right now it's really frustrating and feels pretty bad to be a customer.

I'm on this same sailing *waving to Dawn*. Two calls today by my TA to Crown and Anchor and then to Resolutions provided no assistance. Both departments were unaware of the reasons why we will be cut short by 7 hours (leaving at 2am instead of 9am). He'll be contacting another department Monday. It was as if the people on the other end of the line today didn't know that there had been a change in the itinerary (like they thought we planned to leave at 2am all along). That was just our perception.

This will be our 47th cruise (spread among 8 cruise lines, so not all on Royal!), and we are no strangers to changed itineraries. It happens. We accept this in the cruise contract when we book, but as others have said, it doesn't make it right. It feels really yucky as a customer when it happens. I really just wish RCCL could be transparent (or at least a *little* bit transparent) as to the reasons, and I wish I didn't have to learn about this information on CC.

I can wish all I want, but at the end of the day, we'll make the best of losing 7 hours and having to return to the ship sooner than expected and receiving a different experience than we paid for to visit Cuba for what is likely our first and last time. In the scheme of life, it's not a big deal, but right now it's really frustrating and feels pretty bad to be a customer.

It saves them money on fuel.

It was as if the people on the other end of the line today didn't know that there had been a change in the itinerary (like they thought we planned to leave at 2am all along).

It could be that the initial timing published was wrong and they finally caught the error and fixed the port time.

It could be that the initial timing published was wrong and they finally caught the error and fixed the port time.
I'd believe that if they also didn't change the title of the sailing from "Key West and 2 Havana Overnights" to "Key West and 2 Havana Nights". Two errors would have had to have taken place.

I'm thinking the BINGO here is likely to be that they want to sail back slowly to save $ on fuel. Seems plausible, as it's always about the $.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think OP will find this will be an unremarkable change in the end.

At 0200, there will be people loitering around the port to see the ship off. The sunrise will be exactly the same as the day before, rising over East Havana.

Other than being "The Tropicana" the show is...meh...rather one dimensional. It ended promptly at 2330 so there's plenty of time to return to the ship. Be aware, the theater is outdoors, uncovered. It gets hot and humid. Hope you like rum!

Hi KCmom,

Sorry about the change of ships and cabins. I understand the annoyance.

If this helps in any way.....Our Holland America cruise is worded in the same way, as overnight and departure from Havana is 2 am. No changes after booking for us. We went in with this knowing this departure time. We were OK with it. However, I remember speaking with a HAL rep about such an awkward departure time of 2 am and was informed that it is not the cruise line (in my case HAL) that determined this, but the local authority that handles the port.

As for your worry about not making it in time from the Tropicana show, many have reported that it was not a problem at all. They made it on board at about 12.30 am. and I believe you should be OK, so don't stress out on that. Are you doing the Torpicana excursion with Royal or on your own?

I also think you are not going to make much headway in terms of compensation for an itinerary change where the ship is leaving 6 hrs early. I agree with the person who pointed out the cruise contract.

All that said, I hope you will make the most of whatever is available and doable, before laws on travel to Cuba change.

Enjoy yourself and have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Arzeena

That not only is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT that is called BAIT AND SWITCH.

Its actully neither,

especially since you agreed that they could change the itinerary at any time for any reason when you booked the cruise.

hopefully the contacts you have been provided will help but i doubt it.

I think you have to have an idea of what you want to achieve from your complaint when you write to them. They’re not going to change the departure time at this point. Could you demonstrate a tangible loss to you from the earlier sail time? Maybe. I think that the best you can really hope for is a token OBC gesture. Of course, letting them know that you are unhappy is important, because they need to be reminded that their decisions impact real people sometimes.

Thank you for you advice! You were right.

I think OP will find this will be an unremarkable change in the end.

At 0200, there will be people loitering around the port to see the ship off. The sunrise will be exactly the same as the day before, rising over East Havana.

Other than being "The Tropicana" the show is...meh...rather one dimensional. It ended promptly at 2330 so there's plenty of time to return to the ship. Be aware, the theater is outdoors, uncovered. It gets hot and humid. Hope you like rum!

Lol...that goodness we like Rum, hopefully it makes us forget about the heat.

Its actully neither,

especially since you agreed that they could change the itinerary at any time for any reason when you booked the cruise.

hopefully the contacts you have been provided will help but i doubt it.

Thank you. I did receive a phone call from Keith Oliver. While he can't change things it was very professional of RCCL to personally call me. I really appreciated that my voice was heard.

Hi KCmom,

Sorry about the change of ships and cabins. I understand the annoyance.

If this helps in any way.....Our Holland America cruise is worded in the same way, as overnight and departure from Havana is 2 am. No changes after booking for us. We went in with this knowing this departure time. We were OK with it. However, I remember speaking with a HAL rep about such an awkward departure time of 2 am and was informed that it is not the cruise line (in my case HAL) that determined this, but the local authority that handles the port.

As for your worry about not making it in time from the Tropicana show, many have reported that it was not a problem at all. They made it on board at about 12.30 am. and I believe you should be OK, so don't stress out on that. Are you doing the Torpicana excursion with Royal or on your own?

I also think you are not going to make much headway in terms of compensation for an itinerary change where the ship is leaving 6 hrs early. I agree with the person who pointed out the cruise contract.

All that said, I hope you will make the most of whatever is available and doable, before laws on travel to Cuba change.

Enjoy yourself and have a wonderful cruise![/quote

Yes, we booked the Tropicana on our own. Thank you for reassuring us that we can make it back on time. Changes in Itinerary can be disappointing but I agree....we will make the most of whatever is available and enjoy the cruise ...THANK YOU!!!

Thank you Tara!!! I appreciate your support. Lots of phone calls and emails but at least we received something. Most of all, my emails were actually read and responded to.

OP, check out Azamara's Jan 24 sailing. 9 nights including two nights and three days in Havana plus two other Cuba ports. No, it is not as cheap as RCL but......seems to give us a lot more.[/quote

I would love to be on this sailing. Unfortunately I will just be getting home from a B2B on the freedom. I will be keeping Azamara in mind for my next trip to Cuba

We booked a Cruise with Royal Caribbean in May of 2017 a 5 night with two overnights in Havana on the Empress of the Seas. They moved us to the Majesty of the Seas without contacting us. We found out via Cruise Critic. The room they automatically placed us in was no where near what we originally booked on the Empress! Luckily our travel agent was able to move us to a better location. We thought about cancelling the cruise, as we were looking forward to sailing on the Empress but didn't because it was the only cruise that Royal Caribbean offered as a TWO OVERNIGHT in Havana. Yesterday we found out...again via a fellow passenger, not RC...that they switched the departure from 8 am to 2 AM. We have to be back onboard by 1:30am. We have plans to attend the Tropicana that night. We will be cutting it close to get back in time. Not to mention we were looking forward to watching the sunrise and the morning sail away. That is NOT a two overnight in Havana as advertised. That is one overnight. In fact they have changed the advertising on their website from a "TWO OVERNIGHT to a "TWO NIGHT" in Havana....not what I booked. We paid a premium price for this cruise because it was a TWO overnight. That not only is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT that is called BAIT AND SWITCH. Of course they switched this AFTER the final payment was due so we cannot cancel. I understand switching the itinerary due to weather. That has happened to us before we understand that is unavoidable. BUT changing the departure time close to just shy of 2 months prior to the cruise seems unfair.

I hate to point out the obvious here, but 12:01 AM is the next day, so technically they are fulfilling the “two overnight” promise.

There are a number of reasons why the departure time may have changed. I haven’t heard about it but most likely it is a port issue, not an RCCL decision.

I understand you’re frustrated, but this is unfortunately part of the risk of a cruise vacation vs a land-based one (land-based have their own risks that cruises don’t). I wouldn’t expect much, possibly a small amount of OBC. Just remember you have 2,500 passengers in the same boat - you’re not all going to get cabin upgrades, massages, etc.

In this situation I would get angry, annoyed and frustrated. I would even question whether I should continue to cruise with RC or even whether cruises is the right type of holiday for me. I believe a lot of people would feel that way and I have a great deal of sympathy with OP.

However, thirty years of cruises has taught me that itineraries can and do change. Ports get missed, arrival and departure times get changed, sometimes without reasonable justification. Each time it can be really annoying, especially if you have paid a premium for a given destination or period of stay. I have now come to accept that it is always a possibility and if it happens then this is something I have to adapt to. I never make firm plans at port stops because of this.

I have made several complaints during my time when I have felt that I have been treated unfairly and unreasonably. Very much along the same lines as OP has. What I have learnt is that the complaint has to be well structured and these days I use the following approach :

Brief intro to explain the complaint.

Itemise a list of issues. Each one being well defined and makes a significant point. Avoid listing weak points or listing too many.

Be constructive perhaps with some suggestions on how things could have been handled differently.

Conclude with a proposed resolution. Essentially what you are seeking as a remedy.

I have learnt from experience that it is best to reflect on what I want to achieve from making the complaint and make that my aim. I also prepare for an unsuccessful outcome. My approach is to give it a shot but be prepared to let it go if you don't get anywhere.

Only other option, if it is a really serious matter is to look over the terms and conditions and see whether any of these have been breached. If the answer is yes then you have a stronger case for compensation.

I have found that emailing Crown and Anchor is as effective as emailing anyone else. They will route the complaint to the appropriate person.

Well said! Thank you for understanding that initial disappointment. You and a couple of other seasoned cruisers recommended keeping to the point and having an outcome in mind. Your advice was spot on!