Beware the Upgrade Fairy

2pbears

I was excited to see in my email yesterday afternoon an email from Princess containing an upgrade notice. Proceeded to check it out and found that we had been "upgraded" from a BD Balcony on Dolphin Aft to a BC Balcony on Aloha deck Mid Aft ----- right below the pool deck. :eek: I called immediately and told them we were not interested in the upgrade and they filed a "form" to request that our original cabin be returned to us. They said it would take 72 hours to process. We don't really care if we get the same cabin back, anything similar would be fine, but would definitely be unhappy with the Aloha deck location. We shall see what happens.

Very confused as to which ship you are referring.

The Grand Class ships are all mini-suites on Dolphin Deck (other than some with two stern-facing B4 cabins).

On most other ships Aloha Deck has at least one, if not two (on Royal and Regal) decks between it and Lido Deck.

The Grand Class ships are all mini-suites on Dolphin Deck (other than some with two stern-facing B4 cabins).

On most other ships Aloha Deck has at least one, if not two (on Royal and Regal) decks between it and Lido Deck.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think Princess has any ships with a BD category on the Dolphin deck.

And for the OP ... always mark your reservation to a 'no upgrade' or to a 'meta upgrade' only. A meta upgrade will ensure you aren't moved from a balcony to another less desirable balcony. The only move they are 'supposed to' give you is a balcony to a mini-suite or full suite. I quote 'supposed to' as I am sure somewhere, at sometime, to someone, this has not worked out as stated.

OK from their post history I see the OP has recently asked questions about Coral Princess, so by process of elimination this may be the ship in question. Those BC mid-aft Aloha deck cabins are mostly below the Lotus Spa though the few most-forward of them are below the indoor pool area. My quibble would be moving from fairly close to the nearest elevators to being halfway between the midship and aft ones--though on Coral that does put you more forward thus closer to the dining venues. The only noise issue would be the deck hands moving chairs around early mornings if you are in an A5** numbered cabin rather than an A6**

Edited by fishywood

OK from their post history I see the OP has recently asked questions about Coral Princess, so by process of elimination this may be the ship in question. The mid-aft Aloha deck cabins are mostly below the Lotus Spa though the most forward of them are below the indoor pool area. My quibble would be moving from fairly close to the nearest elevators to being halfway between the midship and aft ones--though on Coral that does put you closer to the dining venues. The only noise issue would be the deck hands moving chairs around early mornings if you are in an A5** numbered cabin rather than an A6**

You got it! Mystery solved. I hadn't realized there were any BD cabins on that deck but they are sandwiched in.

Yes, that's an awful upgrade ... not one I would like.

Upon upgrade, I would consider calling and requesting any better cabin location in that upgraded Category. Assuming that on might be showing available.

You don't have to fill out a form and wait to see if they can make your prior cabin available.

I don't think you have to request to get your exact prior cabin back.

That night be important if somebody wants to stay adjoining with family or friends, or there are other factors that make that specific cabin more necessary. I don't think filling out a request to undo the upgrade and be re-assigned back to the original cabin is the only option?

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think Princess has any ships with a BD category on the Dolphin deck.

And for the OP ... always mark your reservation to a 'no upgrade' or to a 'meta upgrade' only. A meta upgrade will ensure you aren't moved from a balcony to another less desirable balcony. The only move they are 'supposed to' give you is a balcony to a mini-suite or full suite. I quote 'supposed to' as I am sure somewhere, at sometime, to someone, this has not worked out as stated.

What is a "meta upgrade"?

Last October we cruised for the first time on Princess. I booked a specific cabin directly with Princess I told them META upgrade only. Well a few months before our cruise we were "upgraded". Believe me it was not an upgrade. It was to a deluxe obstructed balcony. I called within about an half hour after I received the email and was told that there is no longer any META upgrade only no upgrade or upgrade. They told me that it was unlikely that I could get my cabin back, but after speaking to many people I was finally given my cabin back.

So the moral of the story is if you book a specific cabin then mark it no upgrade

Edited by Baystate

Yes, because you could get upgraded from a forward or aft balcony, to one located more mid-ship. Which can be better, but not always. Many times upgrades are Meta upgrades. but any upgrade from one category or even location to another would be considered an upgrade. Things like 'adjoining', or noise from below or above, are not factored in.

I also have a question now!

From Balcony, to Deluxe Balcony. (slightly larger with small sofa/sleeper) would be an upgrade, right???

We have a standard balcony booked on our next cruise, but the slightly larger on might be nice if the location was not bad for some reason! If we removed the NO UPGRADE on our booking, I would be watching for an upgrade, and would call immediately and request the best location that I am seeing available for the upgraded category.

Baystate... What category had you originally booked???

Was a Deluxe OBSTRUCTED cabin considered an upgrade to a Standard that was not obstructed????

Anyhow, about the META thing....

I think that sometimes this can depend on the rep that you get on the phone.

That seems to happen with Princess.

I am thinking that there probably is still such a thing as a META upgrade????

Baystate... What category had you originally booked???

Was a Deluxe OBSTRUCTED cabin considered an upgrade to a Standard that was not obstructed????

Anyhow, about the META thing....

I think that sometimes this can depend on the rep that you get on the phone.

That seems to happen with Princess.

I am thinking that there probably is still such a thing as a META upgrade????

Believe me I talked to more than one supervisor and they told me that they are no longer doing that. I was so disappointed because I had a bump out cabin on the Regal and the only obstruction was if we looked down, not straight out. They "upgraded" us to a deluxe balcony that had a life boat directly in front of the balcony so there wouldn't be any view.

Bottom line--what Princess considers to be an upgrade is any more expensive category than the one you booked based on the prices the day of the upgrade (not the day you booked). What YOU consider an upgrade can differ considerably as passengers who know what they are doing look at things like what is above and below your cabin, view, etc. "Deluxe" is not necessarily better than what you have!

Bottom line--what Princess considers to be an upgrade is any more expensive category than the one you booked based on the prices the day of the upgrade (not the day you booked). What YOU consider an upgrade can differ considerably as passengers who know what they are doing look at things like what is above and below your cabin' date=' view, etc. "Deluxe" is not necessarily better than what you have![/quote']

True story!

This is great advice!

Wow... no more META upgrades.

We had one of the best of those bump-out not-really-obstructed balconies booked for the cruise on the Regal that we had to cancel early this year. I would DEF have a no-upgrade on a particular cabin like that!!!!

Seems like any upgrade would be based on the actual cabin category. Def. not the price you paid.

Price is VERY subjective!!!!

This is on the Coral.

Bottom line--what Princess considers to be an upgrade is any more expensive category than the one you booked based on the prices the day of the upgrade (not the day you booked).
It's not done by price but by category booked. Currently there are some inside cabins priced higher than balcony cabins on our upcoming Royal Princess cruise. Princess will not upgrade someone who booked a balcony cabin into one of them.

Even having no upgrade on your file does not help sometimes.

On Celebrity, for a South America cruise, we were "upgraded" right at the check in from a balcony to their Aqua Class right under the pool and with the big deck overhang.

The cabin was on the other side of the ship, not the more favorable port side for viewing.

It took alot of work to get our cabin back (we did because we were there early before reassignment to others) but to get our early dining seating was a mess. A very stressful start to our trip.

Extracted a $500 OBC out of Celebrity for their inappropriate action.

Two days before we called Celebrity to confirm our cabin and do not upgrade. It did not help. Our TA also called and confirmed.

Logically when cabins are available close to sailing they can be the "dogs" of the inventory - the cabin they switched us to was definately a "dog".